• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

MavFan619

Banned
Not to worry. I listen to there podcast every week. Not one of those guys play any type of racing game.(and they said so) And they got a shitstorm of hate mail for there comments.
I've listened to it and enjoyed and I don't always agree with their take on things (Colin's opinion on Souls games.) However this is a bit silly of course a racing game will be "just driving."

OmegaDL50

Motorstorm PS4 confirmed?

" This isn’t just an engine for DriveClub, it’s the engine for our whole lifecycle of PlayStation 4 so it had to be extensible"

The best part about this statement is thinking of the engines potential.

Lets say Driveclub is v1.0 of this engine. If the engine is scalable and can be further improved and refined just imagine what v2.0 or v3.0 of it will be like in future games.

That's a pleasant thought to consider.

Violater

#Motorclub: Stormdive

Imagine next gen motorstorm mud..
drools
KuGsj.gif

GameSeeker

Thank you for this! Some very good info in this article, direct from Simon Barlow, Design Director at Evolution:

"The only way we could support weather was by building a full atmospheric simulation. Weather in most video games tends to be an afterthought, or it tends to be a fullscreen effect. Yeah, you could put a shader on the road, and you could have the road get wet and you could put raindrops on the windshield and all the rest of it, but to truly capture the thing that you’ve just described, to make sure that you can’t see the seams, you have to start with the simulation.

This isn’t just an engine for DriveClub, it’s the engine for our whole lifecycle of PlayStation 4 so it had to be extensible. When we wanted to add to it, weather was the next logical step really, and as trivial as I’m making it sound, it was almost as simple as just adding precipitation to that system. If you’re simulating everything else, and then you add precipitation to it, it interacts with all the other systems.

For example with the rivers in the game, if you put it on heavy rain and you let it rain constantly throughout the race, they will rise because everything interacts. Everything is a simulation.

I was playing around with Photo Mode the other day and I didn’t even know we did this until I paused it and I was looking right at one of the tyres in the rain and there’s kick-up from the wheel, but looking closer, there was pools of water in the grooves of the tyre and I thought, why have we done this, we’re insane! Surely we’re insane, but I think it was just a by-product of the simulation, it just, it blew my mind."

Take a minute and read the full article, it's very good.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Thank you for this! Some very good info in this article, direct from Simon Barlow, Design Director at Evolution:

"The only way we could support weather was by building a full atmospheric simulation. Weather in most video games tends to be an afterthought, or it tends to be a fullscreen effect. Yeah, you could put a shader on the road, and you could have the road get wet and you could put raindrops on the windshield and all the rest of it, but to truly capture the thing that you’ve just described, to make sure that you can’t see the seams, you have to start with the simulation.

This isn’t just an engine for DriveClub, it’s the engine for our whole lifecycle of PlayStation 4 so it had to be extensible. When we wanted to add to it, weather was the next logical step really, and as trivial as I’m making it sound, it was almost as simple as just adding precipitation to that system. If you’re simulating everything else, and then you add precipitation to it, it interacts with all the other systems.

For example with the rivers in the game, if you put it on heavy rain and you let it rain constantly throughout the race, they will rise because everything interacts. Everything is a simulation.

I was playing around with Photo Mode the other day and I didn’t even know we did this until I paused it and I was looking right at one of the tyres in the rain and there’s kick-up from the wheel, but looking closer, there was pools of water in the grooves of the tyre and I thought, why have we done this, we’re insane! Surely we’re insane, but I think it was just a by-product of the simulation, it just, it blew my mind."

Holy fuck. Thats insane.

And thank god there's finally a straight up racing game to play this generation. My biggest gripe with racers last gen is they always had to have a hook to appeal to the masses. Be it over the top destruction, crashes, open world nonsense, or police chases. Some hook to differentiate them from the rest. But few of them scratched that "just want to race" itch for me. True, there were the Forzas and the Gran Turismos, but these titles were few and far between. All I had so far this gen was NFS: Rivals and that game focused on all the wrong things. It was barely a racing game.

Plus DC looks fucking amazing. There's that too.

le-seb

I remember somebody noticing this when we got the rain footage.
It's rad.

That's so frustrating to hear, I'm in the boat of people who don't even typically get racing games who is getting DriveClub and I know exactly what I'm getting into as far as gameplay. What are the expectations of a racing game if it's "next gen"? All the details of environment, lighting, the car models seem "next gen" as hell to me.

Some reasonable expectations are photo mode and replay and rewind at launch. If reviews ding DC because it's lacking those thing when reviewed, that's understandable. Can't assume those items will or will not be clumsily implemented.

another day of hype and tiny details and i still dont understand how faceoffs clubs and challenges _exactly_ work.

if its just faceoffs come from your friends list and challenges can be sent to a club by typing their club name and there is a global club leaderboard i think the social aspects will get criticised like destiny as hype with flimsy substance.

OmegaDL50

I've listened to it and enjoyed and I don't always agree with their take on things (Colin's opinion on Souls games.) However this is a bit silly of course a racing game will be "just driving."

That's the equivalent of calling Destiny or Sunset Overdrive "just shooting" or a a game like Diablo III UEE or FF XIV "just grinding"

To take any game and make a reductionist statement like this is stupid. It's even worse coming from someone that is supposed to be a professional journalist.

Ricky_R

with the exception of new cars, all of those feature should've been available at launch.

still seems kinda rushed to me.

I prefer to call it incomplete.

I feel rushed means that they half assed what's going to be available in the game, but that doesn't seem to be the case, hence the delay.

Gaz_RB

And thank god there's finally a straight up racing game to play this generation. My biggest gripe with racers last gen is they always had to have a hook to appeal to the masses. Be it over the top destruction, crashes, open world nonsense, or police chases. Some hook to differentiate them from the rest. But few of them scratched that "just want to race" itch for me. True, there were the Forzas and the Gran Turismos, but these titles were few and far between. All I had so far this gen was NFS: Rivals and that game focused on all the wrong things. It was barely a racing game.

Wow, this is exactly how I've felt for a while. NFS used to be my favorite racing series until it went open world. NFS Rivals was fun but it didn't have enough racing. Was more like NFS: Burnout. Driveclub is the savior, and the game I'll keep coming back to everytime I want a racing game. Until GT7 I guess.

Late Flag

This is awesome. They absolutely MUST apply this to a new Motorstorm title.

MavFan619

Banned
Some reasonable expectations are photo mode and replay and rewind at launch. If reviews ding DC because it's lacking those thing when reviewed, that's understandable. Can't assume those items will or will not be clumsily implemented.
Understandable people want those things but is a list of things that have appeared in racers for years (and coming) going to change minds if once again the core and most important aspect of the game "just driving" is somehow a knock against the game?

damn it I thought I could play this at midnight tonight but nope not releasing that soon
Oh I wish. I caught the hype bug pretty bad. The wait till tomorrow night is killing me. I have to work at 6am on Tuesday but I'll be damned if I don't at least get a few races in at midnight tomorrow night. I think I will end up getting no sleep and being useless at work.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Swearing is such a poor way of expressing admiration but 'FUCK ME!'

Lady Gaia

Pre-loading is bringing back my excitement for midnight launches. There was a time when I'd look forward to standing out with everyone else waiting for a release. It has since been worn down by the reality of standing in the cold, slow retail service leading to getting home closer to 1am, and the practical reality of getting up earlier for work these days.

Now I'm eagerly looking forward to the stroke of midnight a mere 32.5 hours from now. I can be ready for bed but still get a peek at the game before turning in for the night. Is anyone else feeling the same way? If digital purchases were routinely $10 less than their physical counterparts I might indulge more often.

viveks86

Pre-loading is bringing back my excitement for midnight launches. There was a time when I'd look forward to standing out with everyone else waiting for a release. It has since been worn down by the reality of standing in the cold, slow retail service leading to getting home closer to 1am, and the practical reality of getting up earlier for work these days.

Now I'm eagerly looking forward to the stroke of midnight a mere 32.5 hours from now. I can be ready for bed but still get a peek at the game before turning in for the night. Is anyone else feeling the same way?

*Raises hand*

Late Flag

Now I'm eagerly looking forward to the stroke of midnight a mere 32.5 hours from now. I can be ready for bed but still get a peek at the game before turning in for the night. Is anyone else feeling the same way? If digital purchases were routinely $10 less than their physical counterparts I might indulge more often.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool INTJ who doesn't like being around other people F2F, so I agree with you 100%. I actually checked in several times today to see how my pre-load was going and followed this thread all through the Bills game (go Bills!) just to see what others had to say. Internet hype > real life hype for me, and I'm with you in preferring the digital experience.

_DrMario_

Man if I didn't have Forza right now I would totally have bought a PS4 for this game.

I'm hoping Sony will make a new bundle for the holiday season.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Speaking with a couple of the devs last night, they fully expect to not review well... but... turns out they don't really care. They're looking at the bigger picture, the long game (so to speak). Driveclub after a few months will be a different beast. They're focusing on constant support and development post-release.

A lot of the features were never intended for the original release but the 12 months delay allowed Evo to make a start on these features. Maybe being so open and transparent about this stuff is going to bite them in the arse. Maybe if they'd kept quiet about photo mode/weather/replays then such concerns about the title being "unfinished" would have been avoided.

I dunno about anyone else but I'm happy with the approach Evo have taken. They are being totally open about what's coming. That's something that should be applauded and appreciated rather than the constant bashing they're getting about an unfinished product.

Driveclub isn't going to be a "fire and forget" game for Evo. It was clear last night it's been a labour of love and something that they're going to support going forwards with equal amounts of love.
I guess I'll a few months until it's complete. Hopefully the game will sustain its online community until then.

DOWN

Banned
No?

It's just telling it to preload now if they put up the preload early instead of waiting for an auto check that tells it to. It isn't like you aren't supposed to preload yet, you just only get the convenience of preload automatically if you wait for PS4 to check. You're allowed to make it preload whenever they put it online.

My God. That is insane detail.

Well, I have just completed every event of the tour. I`m still missing some stars in some events but I got 201/225.

I really love this game :) The handling just feels so well. Easy to learn, but hard to master and very challenging. Especially with the Hypercars. They were instantly my favourites, because the insane speeds on the small roads give you an adrenaline kick like nothing else. And the sound..oh the sound. It`s just like you would stand in front of an V8 or something like that. It`s just incredible! I`ve never heard sounds like that in a racing game. Gran Turismo sounds like Jamba Ringtone compared to Driveclub.

The graphics are very good at day and amazing in the night. But I think I don`t have to comment more on that. Hundreds of videos and GIFs should show you how good it looks. But of course it`s not perfect and you can see some aliasing, especially at day in sunny weather. But the stable 30FPS and hundreds of effects are compensating it very well.

My only concern is the online mode right now. If they did not implement some kind of private lobbies with options for adjusting the track, weather, time, ... I will be very sad. I wouldn`t understand the world no more. But at the moment the servers are going insane. They showed me races where the next would start in 99 Minutes...lol

Saberus

I guess I'll a few months until it's complete. Hopefully the game will sustain its online community until then.

this

Naw man. It's not like that at all.

I'm talking about stuff like new content, modes, community feedback, community events, etc, etc. Not that the game will be complete later. It's complete now. I can't reiterate that enough. For some, features such as weather, replays and photo modes are essential; for me they're not. I can understand people saying these features are missing, but that's not the same as saying the game isn't a complete and viable product day one.

As I've said before, the extras are just gravy and don't forget, all the extras are going to be free.

But please, don't take my words to mean DC as it stands isn't feature/content complete. It is.

patchday

Just preordered from PSN. Started the download. So ready for this :)

You might have liked Dirt. That was a pretty fun game

Gaz_RB

My only concern is the online mode right now. If they did not implement some kind of private lobbies with options for adjusting the track, weather, time, ... I will be very sad. I wouldn`t understand the world no more. But at the moment the servers are going insane. They showed me races where the next would start in 99 Minutes...lol

That would make me stop understanding the world too, bro.

:D thanks for the impressions.

Nokterian

The game IS complete. They're just going to keep adding content to keep it fresh.

And yet again saying that there isn't enough smh. I can believe what i am reading sometimes this game is stuffed with content. Also the leaderboards? That is going to keep me going for a longtime because endless loops and ghosts to beat for better times. That's my jam man, trying to be better then the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom