• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

KalBalboa

Banned
Hmm. My Driveclub pre-load is only ~2.5 gigs. It's installed and waiting to be opened. Wasn't the full game somewhere around 16 gigs? Can I assume this is a base client and I'll need to download another 14 gigs later?

i-Lo

I'm mostly buying DC as a method to contribute to the sales so that Evo can stay open and finally bring another Motorstorm.

farmerboy

Speaking with a couple of the devs last night, they fully expect to not review well... but... turns out they don't really care. They're looking at the bigger picture, the long game (so to speak). Driveclub after a few months will be a different beast. They're focusing on constant support and development post-release.

A lot of the features were never intended for the original release but the 12 months delay allowed Evo to make a start on these features. Maybe being so open and transparent about this stuff is going to bite them in the arse. Maybe if they'd kept quiet about photo mode/weather/replays then such concerns about the title being "unfinished" would have been avoided.

I dunno about anyone else but I'm happy with the approach Evo have taken. They are being totally open about what's coming. That's something that should be applauded and appreciated rather than the constant bashing they're getting about an unfinished product.

Driveclub isn't going to be a "fire and forget" game for Evo. It was clear last night it's been a labour of love and something that they're going to support going forwards with equal amounts of love.

On a separate note, imagine a new Motorstorm in these amazing environments. Imagine each location, Scotland for example, being more of an open-world style map rather than a series of dedicated circuits/routes.

Just imagine...

;-)

What's that wink at the bottom, did the devs actually talk to you about Motostorm or are you just riling us up? And I can imagine. I WANT IT SO BAD.

Sorry if someone's already asked this, I've just popped in, in between work and shit and I haven't got time to see if someone asked. Cheers.

I'm mostly buying DC as a method to contribute to the sales so that Evo can stay open and finally bring another Motorstorm.

SedMCzMp4uecM.gif

commedieu

Banned
I expect DC is going to get negated points because lightweight carbonfiber supercars aren't doing suspension destroying loop-d-loops.
Its going to be a shit show.

There is a trophy to get a podium finish in a race of 12 without losing Fame because you hit someone.

20% completion on that one, so you should be able to avoid people easily enough if you try hard to.

Also someone just Platinum'd it. http://psnprofiles.com/T_Knightingale

It is an easy platinum, by the way. Only thing that would take long is getting to level 50 but the rest will come easy. That trophy could be attained if I'm going to guess, is going to Single Event and setting up the game with 11 other A.I cars and then just stay at 12th lol. Didn't try it but I will test it in abit and get back to you.

Branson

I was wanting to get the T300 wheel for this but its...apparently not out yet in NA. So thats weird. Ill hold off until I can play this game with a wheel. Hopefully it will be all patched up and nice by then. The ISR video sold me on it.

~~Hasan~~

i have to ask, why I cant find any players in the " players met " section whatever in the XMB or in Game XMB " its the same XMB but loaded in the game" ?

is it because its not out ? i can't find the people i recently played with to invite them to my club..

My Club name is Masters lol

Salex_

Not sure why people are expecting negative reviews. If reviewers aren't reviewing by a checklist, then it should be positive based on the early comments from people who are reviewing the game and impressions from people who got the game early.

I expect DC is going to get negated points because lightweight carbonfiber supercars aren't doing suspension destroying loop-d-loops.
Its going to be a shit show.
Don't forget the "looks next gen but isn't doing anything new" comments.

I liked Greg Millers quote on that podcast. Something like "it looks so boring, its just driving".

le-seb

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered, but what is dynamic weather? I'm guessing a clear day turning cloudy then starting to rain?
In the sense of the OP: precipitations and thunderstorms.
The game already offers evolving weather conditions, but no precipitations or thunderstorms.

MavFan619

Banned

I liked Greg Millers quote on that podcast. Something like "it looks so boring, its just driving".
That's so frustrating to hear, I'm in the boat of people who don't even typically get racing games who is getting DriveClub and I know exactly what I'm getting into as far as gameplay. What are the expectations of a racing game if it's "next gen"? All the details of environment, lighting, the car models seem "next gen" as hell to me.

Not sure why people are expecting negative reviews. If reviewers aren't reviewing by a checklist, then it should be positive based on the early comments from people who are reviewing the game and impressions from people who got the game early.
I think at least some of the worry, at least from IGN was they way they were shit talking the game during a podcast. Not that I care but I am expecting a mixed bag.

MavFan619

Banned
I think at least some of the worry, at least from IGN was they way they were shit talking the game during a podcast. Not that I care but I am expecting a mixed bag.
Here is hoping the reviewer actually plays racing games because I would imagine their thoughts would be more valid as far as how it handles and progression.

Best way to describe Driveclub is that it's like having an itch. Once you scratch, you think it's enough but it keeps itching you more and more. Case in point, I play a few races then switch to another game but thanks to the driving feeling so good and how pretty the game is, I can't help but get back to Driveclub so I could experience it all over again.

EDIT: That is also still without touching the MP. I'm all about doing the tour and leveling up at the moment. Haven't even been in a club because im waiting for GAF club if such a thing is to happen.

What's that wink at the bottom, did the devs actually talk to you about Motostorm or are you just riling us up? And I can imagine. I WANT IT SO BAD.

Sorry if someone's already asked this, I've just popped in, in between work and shit and I haven't got time to see if someone asked. Cheers.

No one at Evo confirmed anything. The wink is solely my implication that it has to happen. Pacific Rift is much loved whilst Apocalypse was a mis-step. The DC environments and lighting at times remind me so much of PR. A new Motorstorm with the DC engine in a more open environment is so obvious. If it doesn't happen I'd be legit shocked. The only thing I will say is some of the devs clearly have a love for Motorstorm and would love to do a new one but I don't know how that decision will be made. I guess ultimately it depends on how well DC does and whether Sony want to fund another MS game.

Not sure why people are expecting negative reviews. If reviewers aren't reviewing by a checklist, then it should be positive based on the early comments from reviewers and impressions from people who got the game early.
DC seems to have been given a really tough time in the media and forums IMO. The constant FH2 comparisons don't help (spesh given their different focus and platforms) and I wouldn't be surprised to see the gaming "media" do the same. The current vogue for open world is damaging IMO. Not all of us dig that and DC shouldn't be penalised for what it isn't nor even tries to be.

If it's reviewed on its own merits, I would expect good to great reviews. Sadly, I don't think it will be reviewed for what it is and too much focus will be on what it isn't. Which is like marking Guardians of the Galaxy down for not being The Godfather.

Reviewers review by a checklist most of the time. There are exceptions where they seem to not mind lack of content in favor of good gameplay, though. See Titanfall.
We'll see how this goes.

commedieu

Banned

Didn't know it started already. But, like I said. Totally expected. As a driving fan that is looking foward to a decent sim/challenge/not too arcade and good environments, it looks like a driving game that I'd like to play. Like Rfactor, GTR1&2 GP legends, live for speed, Toca, etc. I have the identical expectations/hype as I've always had for driving games. Because they are simulating driving. At no point would I load up Project Cars and wonder where the underwater mission is, then question innovation of a driving game.

Shaneus

Speaking with a couple of the devs last night, they fully expect to not review well... but... turns out they don't really care. They're looking at the bigger picture, the long game (so to speak). Driveclub after a few months will be a different beast. They're focusing on constant support and development post-release.
I'm really, really happy to hear this. It's about goddamn time that developers developed games for gamers rather than reviewers.

Fuck yeah, Evo.

dano1

A Sheep

I would expect 8 or above. Game looks sweet.

NHale

Hmm. My Driveclub pre-load is only ~2.5 gigs. It's installed and waiting to be opened. Wasn't the full game somewhere around 16 gigs? Can I assume this is a base client and I'll need to download another 14 gigs later?

The 2.5GB is just the "Play-Go" part that allows you to start playing while it downloads the rest. If you keep your console connected online it will download the rest of the 16GB.

If anyone wants to check this, then after the initial 2.5GBs is completed just go to the Driveclub tile on XMB -> Options Button on DS4 -> Information -> Download Status

KalBalboa

Banned
The 2.5GB is just the "Play-Go" part that allows you to start playing while it downloads the rest. If you keep your console connected online it will download the rest of the 16GB.

If anyone wants to check this, then after the initial 2.5GBs is completed just go to the Driveclub tile on XMB -> Options Button on DS4 -> Information -> Download Status

Nice, thanks for that info.

farmerboy

No one at Evo confirmed anything. The wink is solely my implication that it has to happen. Pacific Rift is much loved whilst Apocalypse was a mis-step. The DC environments and lighting at times remind me so much of PR. A new Motorstorm with the DC engine in a more open environment is so obvious. If it doesn't happen I'd be legit shocked. The only thing I will say is some of the devs clearly have a love for Motorstorm and would love to do a new one but I don't know how that decision will be made. I guess ultimately it depends on how well DC does and whether Sony want to fund another MS game.

Thanks for the reply and I agree with you 100%. Surely they will see that there is a lot of love out there for it.

Late Flag

Reviewers review by a checklist most of the time. There are exceptions where they seem to not mind lack of content in favor of good gameplay, though. See Titanfall.
We'll see how this goes.

I'll read the review thread for the inevitable meltdown one way or the other, but honestly I just don't care how this game reviews. I'm a big fan of Evolution's body of work, my eyes tell me that this is the kind of game I'm going to like, and user reviews have been very positive so far. If it scores in the 70s, whatever. People on PS+ can try it and form their own opinions.

I'll read the review thread for the inevitable meltdown one way or the other, but honestly I just don't care how this game reviews. I'm a big fan of Evolution's body of work, my eyes tell me that this is the kind of game I'm going to like, and user reviews have been very positive so far. If it scores in the 70s, whatever. People on PS+ can try it and form their own opinions.

Yeah, I don't care what score it gets either. From what I've seen and heard this game is a blast to play (and look at) and I'll get it as soon as I buy a PS4.

Those tracks are not in the soundtrack, people need to stop posting them. Only "all action" and "be here now" are the known tracks so far. And it seems there are just a few more with a ridiculuous amount of remixes.

I'm extremely dissapointed with this, i had high hopes for a stellar soundtrack. : /
Well this track can be heard in the Eurogamer Spain video so it definitely belongs to the Driveclub OST (around the 8th minute in this video: http://youtu.be/vZNpG6Qqhq4).

dano1

A Sheep
That's so frustrating to hear, I'm in the boat of people who don't even typically get racing games who is getting DriveClub and I know exactly what I'm getting into as far as gameplay. What are the expectations of a racing game if it's "next gen"? All the details of environment, lighting, the car models seem "next gen" as hell to me.

Not to worry. I listen to there podcast every week. Not one of those guys play any type of racing game.(and they said so) And they got a shitstorm of hate mail for there comments.

Branson

Thats not that bad. Really if you've followed game outlets the people behind them usually don't like racing games. Most are looking for things involving actual characters. It's rare to find someone in the business who actually likes them. Maybe Jeff from GB, or Garnett Lee. Thats why I try to find out how the game is from forums rather than reviews. Youtubers that I can kind of trust in knowing racing games as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom