• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLEEK

What console was it on? The graphics look pretty solid (looks late ps2/early ps3).

It initially launched on 360 (on the same day as Halo 3 - nice one Sega).

An XBLA/PSN version came out a few years later. It was a port of the arcade game, which itself was a heavily cut down / reworked port of the 360 game. Worth playing if you can't get the 360 full retail game, but only a fraction of the content and just basic arcade modes.

Edit: XBLA/PSN game is called Sega Rally Online Arcade.

rich7sena

Banned
I really wonder how flexible Driveclub's engine is. I think we all would like a Motorstorm with these visuals and weather, but I wonder how this world simulator can be utilized in an area outside of racing games.

CLEEK

I really wonder how flexible Driveclub's engine is. I think we all would like a Motorstorm with these visuals and weather, but I wonder how this world simulator can be utilized in an area outside of racing games.

It's been made by Evo to be their engine for all their PS4 games. They're a racing game studio. Never released a game in a different genre. So I doubt we'd see it used for a FPS or open world adventure game, even if the engine is suited for them.

OmegaDL50

The GT-R and and any Lamborghini feel made for this game (AWD). I know a lot of people on here don't like my opinions on Driveclub, but I would have rather seen more sports, super, and hyper cars than the collection of hot-hatches that are undoubtedly less fun.

Driveclub looks like a game made for performance cars. I would have taken 10 less cars if that meant I could have a more exotic garage.

I really want just 8 more cars.

Four Japanese makes and four US makes.

Lexus LFA, Honda NSX, Toyota Supra Mk. IV, and Nissan GTR for Japanese makes.

And the Saleen S7, Corvette Stingray, SRT Viper, and Ford GT for US makes.

They would all fit in the game as part of the high end exotics / super sports.

I'm hoping of the 38 paid DLC cars and the 9 Free cars, these 8 cars are amongst the list.

If that's too much to ask then hopefully the LFA, GT-R and Ford GT make the cut.

Considering the fact that they're able to patch in something as significant as rain and snow after launch, I would say it's robust, and the possibilities would be limited only by the imaginations of the devs.

So bring on Motorstorm: Atlantic Rift!

XP-Enigma

kind of off topic, but I know there are alot of folks downloading this game now so I'll ask.

I have 12mb internet speed...usually with a 21 ping.

but it seems since got a PS4, when ever I'm downloading a demo or large file....it drastically slows down my internet speed, and my ping shoots up to 100. When I called my ISP, they told me it's because of the file I'm downloading.

Are you able to tell how fast DriveClub is downloading? Perhaps it is using most of your bandwidth. A 12mb connection will max out at about 1.5 mb/s. The PS3 might have been using less bandwidth allowing you to browse the internet without getting too slugish.

benzy

I don't think motion blur really makes the image quality worse. See:

(This is a double whammy, too, since they're Share screenshots uploaded to Facebook.) Motion blur can make you not see some of the details, but you can still kind of tell whether the image quality is good or not. Like, on NFS Rivals above, the doesn't have amazing image quality, but it still looks good even with all the motion blur and the compressed screenshots.

This is not a comparison (wouldn't even be worth the comparison in graphics, honestly), but more of just an example.

There are different implementations of motion blur though. You can see here DC's motion blur takes a pretty heavy effect on the car and makes it muddy looking. The same look is seen in the other screenshots for the trees and such, but it's probably not noticeable in motion.

ibqKRWRf609VbW.jpg

mreddie

I really want just 8 more cars.

Four Japanese makes and four US makes.

Lexus LFA, Honda NSX, Toyota Supra Mk. IV, and Nissan GTR for Japanese makes.

And the Saleen S7, Corvette Stingray, SRT Viper, and Ford GT for US makes.

They would all fit in the game as part of the high end exotics / super sports.

I'm hoping of the 38 paid DLC cars and the 9 Free cars, these 8 cars are amongst the list.

If that's too much to ask then hopefully the LFA, GT-R and Ford GT make the cut.

They'll be in, maybe the new NSX too. Supra? Nah. Maybe the BRZ at best.

rich7sena

Banned
They'll be in, maybe the new NSX too. Supra? Nah. Maybe the BRZ at best.

I personally wouldn't care much for a BRZ for this type of game. I'd much rather see more super and hyper car variants. New NSX and LF-A would be great adds. I wouldn't mind seeing concept stuff, either (great for arcade racers).

VanWinkle

There are different implementations of motion blur though. You can see here DC's motion blur takes a pretty heavy effect on the car and makes it muddy looking. The same look is seen in the other screenshots for the trees and such, but it's probably not noticeable in motion.

ibqKRWRf609VbW.jpg

It does seem to have object-based motion blur, but it doesn't seem super high quality, and the motion blur in general seems to create a bunch of weird artifacts (that I don't really think are noticeable in motion). Here's a heavy motion blur from NFS Rivals, which I think has a really nice motion blur implementation:

1796100_10153886606850626_778732299_o.jpg

I don't really want to bring in any comparisons or anything, but I have come to my conclusion that the things Evo sacrificed in the visual department make the game look bad in screenshots, and the things they put priority into make the game look amazing in motion. They have to make priorities, and it pays off in motion.

DOWN

Banned
It does seem to have object-based motion blur, but it doesn't seem super high quality, and the motion blur in general seems to create a bunch of weird artifacts (that I don't really think are noticeable in motion). Here's a heavy motion blur from NFS Rivals, which I think has a really nice motion blur implementation:

On the one hand I love how Rivals looks for a multi platform game, but in some hard to describe way, I also get a sense that the stylized look is trying too hard. Like it's too dark and night contrast so it looks more like a fan wallpaper.

I am so praying for Underground 3, set in fake LA again or fake Tokyo.

Gaz_RB

I don't really want to bring in any comparisons or anything, but I have come to my conclusion that the things Evo sacrificed in the visual department make the game look bad in screenshots, and the things they put priority into make the game look amazing in motion. They have to make priorities, and it pays off in motion.

NFS Rivals is a damn good looking game, IMO.

AmyS

Maybe we'll get this version of Motorstorm from the faux PS3 reveal "gameplay" debacle:

vngblV.gif

Kz31lE.gif

I'd guess a PS5 might handle graphics that good in r-t, next generation with the help of its inevitably stronger GPU (15~20 Tflops, perhaps?) coupled with 3D stacked RAM / HBM for a lot higher bandwidth than what GDDR5 can offer.

Afrikan

Are you able to tell how fast DriveClub is downloading? Perhaps it is using most of your bandwidth. A 12mb connection will max out at about 1.5 mb/s. The PS3 might have been using less bandwidth allowing you to browse the internet without getting too slugish.

thankx for the response.

I think this maybe the case.

DriveClub is consistently downloading about 1-1.5mb a second.

I guess even though I have a next gen system, I have last gen Internet for now...lol.

benzy

Yeah, in an old build they had even lower quality motion blur that created a dithering effect which was especially noticeable during night races. I'm glad they fixed that at least.

iQP4smO1y0FeY.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=112124206&postcount=422
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=112102561&postcount=241

AmyS

It initially launched on 360 (on the same day as Halo 3 - nice one Sega).

An XBLA/PSN version came out a few years later. It was a port of the arcade game, which itself was a heavily cut down / reworked port of the 360 game. Worth playing if you can't get the 360 full retail game, but only a fraction of the content and just basic arcade modes.

Edit: XBLA/PSN game is called Sega Rally Online Arcade.

There was also Sega Rally 3 for arcades. It was based on Sega Rally Revo, but ran on PC based hardware more powerful than than 360/PS3. Sega's 'Europa-R' hardware.

http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=907

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 3.4 GHz
RAM: 8GB (2x 4GB modules)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800

SR3 was 60 FPS whereas Revo on 360/PS3 was 30 FPS.

But look at this, Revo on PC, in 3D and triple screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HejmmT1Win8

Fucking sick

I was wanting to get the T300 wheel for this but its...apparently not out yet in NA. So thats weird. Ill hold off until I can play this game with a wheel. Hopefully it will be all patched up and nice by then. The ISR video sold me on it.
Yeah, total bummer about the lack of T00 availability in the states... I'm going to jump in day one, and if the game really sinks in, I will replace the G37 when the T300 us an option.

VanWinkle

On the one hand I love how Rivals looks for a multi platform game, but in some hard to describe way, I also get a sense that the stylized look is trying too hard. Like it's too dark and night contrast so it looks more like a fan wallpaper.

I am so praying for Underground 3, set in fake LA again or fake Tokyo.

Yeah, lighting is a little too cinema-ish.. Not realistic, very contrasty.

However, it does some things objectively better than DC visually. It has a higher quality motion blur, better textures, better AF, better AA (especially noticeable at a standstill and with things like power lines), and a bokeh-based DoF rather than DC's cheap blur-based DoF.

But things that make a huge difference in DC's favor is the AMAZING lighting, huge amount of geomtry, and incredible attention to detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom