• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because realistically if you are driving a Hyper/Super Car you would not be crashing into anyone due to the fact you would lose the race. People want clean matches that deal with more skill than dirty tricks.

Cause thats not how it goes in real life... And this game is not Mario Kart or Burnout

But it's not real life and Driveclub isn't even a sim according to the devs.

Like, if you want to play that way that's totally fine. Get together with like-minded GAF people and do it! Have fun! I just don't get why people get upset when the average player doesn't want to play the game that way. I know I sure don't. I imagine the average person probably doesn't either.

nikos

Going crazy here.

One store I called said later today. Asked if I should check back at a certain time, and he just said "yeah, check back." Guess I'll try again in about 4 or 5 hours.

Guy at the other store said he forgot to check if it's in the shipment he just received, or if it will be in another shipment today. Guess I'll check back with him later as well.

Like, if you want to play that way that's totally fine. Get together with like-minded GAF people and do it! Have fun! I just don't get why people get upset when the average player doesn't want to play the game that way. I know I sure don't. I imagine the average person probably doesn't either.

I mean, you can drive like that if you want, but you will essentially trade in all your fame in collision penalties and not get much return on investment.

I actually appreciate this game for actively discouraging the Burnout experience.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Oh boy, and here comes the inevitable Driveclub vs. Project Cars comparisons. The review thread is going to be a bloodbath because I really don't expect high scores from people. Just a lot of comparisons to F2.

I think you missed the second part of my post where I stated people want clean matches that deal with skill more than dirty tricks.

Personally for me, I am glad DRIVECLUB-GAF is a thing since it just added like 25+ more friends to my PSN and I hope we can get some clean matches underway.

i have added DRIVECLUB-GAF on the psn.
do i need to do anything else to get into the group here?

thanks

You can either add all or some of its friends or just accept the requests that roll in. I'm down near the bottom of the list if anyone wants to add me (Canada Eastern Time).

I'm all preloaded and ready to go, but since it unlocks at 3am EST, I won't be able to play until after work on Wednesday.

Hoje0308

Banned

The point is to make sure that people are winning due to skill, rather than the ability to play bumper cars. Also, please don't act like you know what the average gamer wants. We'll know soon enough if it's an issue, but until then it's pure speculation.
I do think it would be nice if there's an option to turn penalties off if you want to have a no-holds-barred race with friends. Do anyone with a copy know if such an option exists?

I think you missed the second part of my post where I stated people want clean matches that deal with skill more than dirty tricks.

Personally for me, I am glad DRIVECLUB-GAF is a thing since it just added like 25+ more friends to my PSN and I hope we can get some clean matches underway.

I didn't miss it. That's why I said if you want to play that way it's awesome you can get together with GAF people and do it.

I also didn't agree with the "dirty tricks" quip so I ignored it. It's just a different way to play the game.

Oh boy, and here comes the inevitable Driveclub vs. Project Cars comparisons. The review thread is going to be a bloodbath because I really don't expect high scores from people. Just a lot of comparisons to F2.
I imagine it'll be compared to Forza Horizon 2. Both more arcade racers and exclusive to their respective console, or in Forza's case, console family.

The point is to make sure that people are winning due to skill, rather than the ability to play bumper cars. Also, please don't act like you know what the average gamer wants. We'll know soon enough if it's an issue, but until then it's pure speculation.
I do think it would be nice if there's an option to turn penalties off if you want to have a no-holds-barred race with friends. Do anyone with a copy know if such an option exists?

Well, I said "I imagine" because I'm making an assumption. If i'm wrong I'm wrong, that's fine. I'll eat the crow.

But yeah that would be a good feature. Or even different online matchmaking sections for "clean" and "dirty" or something. Would give everyone what they want and limit people from encountering players that they don't want to be with.

I didn't miss it. That's why I said if you want to play that way it's awesome you can get together with GAF people and do it.

I also didn't agree with the "dirty tricks" quip so I ignored it. It's just a different way to play the game.

It kinda is a dirty trick if you think about it. Club Races have many ways to win, one of those is by FAME points. No matter if someone runs into you, you lose FAME despite the fact you were the one getting smashed.

I guess the main problem I am getting at is that griefers will use that to make sure you lose your FAME.

barit

Because realistically if you are driving a Hyper/Super Car you would not be crashing into anyone due to the fact you would lose the race. People want clean matches that deal with more skill than dirty tricks.

I'm with you. Hate this rude driving just for the sake of fucking up your opponent. But for a clean drive you have to break sometimes and let your opponent pass away when he is faster in a corner etc.

I think private matches are a must when you want a clean match. But with randoms ? Not a chance

It kinda is a dirty trick if you think about it. Club Races have many ways to win, one of those is by FAME points. No matter if someone runs into you, you lose FAME despite the fact you were the one getting smashed.

I guess the main problem I am getting at is that griefers will use that to make sure you lose your FAME.

Ah okay. I didn't know that. From that perspective that's pretty dirty.

But that's also really stupid design. If you're going to put in a system to punish cars from hitting each other you better make damn sure it only punishes the 'attacker' in the crash.

CoG

Review embargo eh? We know how this is going turn out

AFAIK people have the game and are reviewing it as opposed to say Destiny where review copies did not go out until launch day. All games have review embargos. When are reviews released, tomorrow?

THEaaron

Serious question: Why do people get upset when people online drive aggressively in racing games like Driveclub or Forza Horizon or whatever? I've seen people get upset at that on multiple occasions.

It seems like an entirely valid way to play the game and personally I think it's fun as hell to race that way.

Aggressive != RageRamKid

I'm with you. Hate this rude driving just for the sake of fucking up your opponent. But for a clean drive you have to break sometimes and let your opponent pass away when he is faster in a corner etc.

I think private matches are a must when you want a clean match. But with randoms ? Not a chance

Yeah, I think you are right.

When we start doing GAFClub Tournaments we should have some guidelines on it.

Handy Fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpExJSqV65M

This video is cool. He/She is not the greatest driver but has managed to record a few races with fantastic lighting. When it's night it really is dark!

The start - That's Eilean Donan castle on the way to Skye.

eilann_donan_castle_wiki1p.jpg

It's where "Highlander" was filmed.

Is it possible you guys with the game can post screenshots like the Forza thread or do we have to wait to full release to do that. Thanks

I guess wait for a proper photo mode

I'm pretty certain that once the photomode is patched in that there will be an official thread for photos.

Picture dumps by me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132814766&postcount=3229

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132855965&postcount=3738

Easy way to win most races in any mp racing game. Just slow down before the first corner/turn and the majority of players will slam into the barrier/wall.

THEaaron

Yeah to be clear I'm not talking about RageRamKid playing bumper cars. I'm talking about bumping someone when it's tactically viable, not letting people pass you, etc.

Things like tactical blocking and stuff are fine, I think. But when I see those Clips where they practically kick you out it's just not funny anymore.

whoaduh

I don't understand waiting for the review embargo is up to get reviews. I've read so many "reviews" on here from people who got the game early and they all seem glowing. Why does person X that works at website Y have an opinion that carries more weight?

I trust someone here even more in fact since they knew what they were getting into (e.g. the game not being open world and it not being a sim like some journalists thought up until last week). Someone who's seen all the gifs, watched many videos, liked what they saw and everything to be confirmed after they played it. I trust that person's review more than some random person at IGN.

If I get a real name request from someone on DRIVECLUB-GAF would it mean we have more than just gaffers on that list?

not that I care about the real name thing

I don't understand waiting for the review embargo is up to get reviews. I've read so many "reviews" on here from people who got the game early and they all seem glowing. Why does person X that works at website Y have an opinion that carries more weight?

I trust someone here even more in fact since they knew what they were getting into (e.g. the game not being open world and it not being a sim like some journalists thought up until last week). Someone who's seen all the gifs, watched many videos, liked what they saw and everything to be confirmed after they played it. I trust that person's review more than some random person at IGN.

I think most people here are already convinced the game is going to be great. The review talk is more just curiosity rather than actually hinging their purchase on the scores that sites give it.

Of course I'm sure there are some that feel that way..

GodofWine

DRIVECLUB-GAF you have a request.

I dont understand the review concern..this game doesnt need a professional (loose term ) review, its going to have.more user feedback from the moment it goes live than anything else that i can think of.

Well, the Driveclub Club thread is sorta "full" with clubs. Im in the US, play mostly nights and weekends. Anyway want to snag a free roaming monkey? Or, perhaps, start our own club?

If I get a real name request from someone on DRIVECLUB-GAF would it mean we have more than just gaffers on that list?

not that I care about the real name thing

I saw someone earlier in the thread say they sent a real name request by accident. Anyone can see the thread and add DRIVECLUB-GAF, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are people on there who are not members.

Rixa

Oh wow, tune PS4 on receive shitload of friend invites. Keep them coming, gotta room in my fr list :D.

Profit!

I had a couple people do the Real Name request from GAF, personally it doesn't bother me since I use my real name anyway...

It may be from mistake though, going through the DC-GAF friend list I was going down, pressing x,x,x,o then down again repeatedly and sent a few real name requests that way from people who were already on my list lol.

There was a review embargo on GTA 5 too. How did that turn out?

The reviews of GTA V came out before the game did. Not so with driveclub.

I have no idea why websites should have to abide by an embargo after a game is released to the general public. Hey, GAF, don't forget when you get your game at midnight that you're not allowed to talk about it until 9am or something!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom