• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gestault

because they're the only "next gen" racers out currently. you can't help but compare the two unless you're actively trying to be difficult in discussion.

Or a calmer mind would not try to compare them? Because they're different and offer different things?

VanWinkle

For someone like me that don't really like open world games it's about the same as MK8 to GT.

But the art style and driving model are very similar, whereas they couldn't be more different when comparing MK8 to GT. Open world to circuit is definitely different, but that's more like driving to different races instead of going through menus for different races. Otherwise they're quite similar.

i used it to illustrate my point of it being rushed game despite the delay
If you think that having a spelling error printed on the gamebox is indicative of rushing a videogames development then sure. I see it as a dumb oversight by whoever is in charge of checking that shit.

So typos = rushed? Geez, all this time I thought it was a mistake that could happen to anyone. I was so blind.

i have never seen a typo on the game cover of an aaa game ever, when essential features like weather are being patched in how can anyone seriously argue that this game isnt rushed? even photomode is coming at a later date

le-seb

Glorious corridor of Hype
hypeclubq7joa.jpg

Last batch for tonight guys, I need some sleep now.

Protome

I wonder how many reviews are going to compare it to Horizon 2. You don't mention how much fun Mario Kart is in a Gran Turismo review. Same concept would apply to DC and FH2. They both have cars, but they set out to do two completely different things. Horizon is an open world game about being able to race off road and DC is a pure, linear racer. Any review comparing the two would completely invalidate itself for me.

A lot will compare it, because they're similar enough and came out so close to each other.

You don't say how much fun Mario Kart is in a Gran Turismo review because the two are nothing alike other than both having Karts in them. Driveclub and Forza Horizon are both arcadey racers with a heavy focus on social connectivity. Whether they focus on off road open world racing or on road linearity is largely irrelevant to most people, they're similar enough.

It was not uncommon for example to see references to Need for Speed in Burnout reviews (and vice versa) back when those were relevant and came out close to each other too, despite playing very differently and having open world vs linear gameplay. That would be a much closer comparison than your absurd GT vs MK one.

Edit: This thread moves faster than I can rant :(

23qwerty

i have never seen a typo on the game cover of an aaa game ever, when essential features like weather are being patched in how can anyone seriously argue that this game isnt rushed? even photomode is coming at a later date

I don't know how you can think some marketing guy has anything to do with actual game development.

Essential? What other racers have fully dynamic weather simulations?

You know these game boxes aren't made by the game developers, right?

Look, the typo is a bit of an embarrassment. No denying that. And they should have caught the mistake. But you're making it into something way more than it is.

edit: Also, the weather was never part of the project initially. They decided to add it in based on consumer feedback. You know, as a gesture that they care about their fans. Same with the photo mode.

VanWinkle

They've said, literally, since the announcements of those features, that they aren't going to be in the game at launch. They've said this for months and months. I'm not going to say the game is not rushed at all, because technically they could delay it further, but it seems that they've decided to add these features after they announced when the game would release.

And, again, the box art grammar error is nothing. It's the smallest deal in the world. A little embarrassing mistake that means nothing.

None of those things you mentioned were in the game to begin with. They added them in much later in the dev cycle and stated as soon as they were introduced that they would not be in there at launch. They could release the game without rain or snow or photomode and the game would still be a complete package.

Gestault

If you think that having a spelling error printed on the gamebox is indicative of rushing a videogames development then sure. I see it as a dumb oversight by whoever is in charge of checking that shit.

To be completely fair, would you agree that a racing game not having photo mode/weather/etc at release, when those are the aspects they're promoting the game around, might be a sign of a rushed title? Among other little things, those aren't exactly what I'd call "extras" in a situation like that.

Full disclosure: I would anser "yes," but it doesn't bother me. I'm going to enjoy the game for what it is. It's like how I enjoyed the new KI, even though at launch it simply wasn't complete. I think the model of releasing strong framework and core content, then building more based on feedback from that point on is a good thing when development capital is at a premium. But I also won't pretend a title missing things like this doesn't feel rushed.

SolidJum5

Neo Member
i dont play racing games so i should have mentioned this in my original comment but to me forza just looks so much more appealing if i was to buy one + the amount of content isnt even comparable.

the graphics arent blowing me away like they were in the promo vids, the lack of content, the delayed stuff like weather getting patched in i mean come on there is even a grammar error on the gamebox

wait...what?

tumblr_n507ogM0Rq1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Noobcraft

Or a calmer mind would not try to compare them? Because they're different and offer different things?
But the console warz... We have two exclusive 1080P 30fps sim-cade racers releasing like a week from each other...

...but yeah they aren't the same game. FH2 is like battlefield where Driveclub is like COD (open maps vs focused/controlled maps).

Kssio_Aug

how do the DC videos compare to your experience of playing FH2, so far?

Nah, its really hard to say. For me particullary both are equally impressive, FH2 for an open-world, and DC for "closed" tracks. I think FH2 may have less problems with aliasing, but DC has a more impressive environment superficially saying (in advantage to its proportions though). I dont want to be unfair with any of them though, I'm just impressed with both differently.

v1lla21

Oh man, I just got some great news over the phone. New start for me ;) I would share because it is car related but not game related :p

To be completely fair, would you agree that a racing game not having photo mode/weather/etc at release, when those are the aspects they're promoting the game around, might be a sign of a rushed title? Among other little things, those aren't exactly what I'd call "extras" in a situation like that.
But they are extras. They decided to add them in long after development began. They've only been promoting them lately because (I imagine) they're proud of what they've accomplished and wanted to share it with their fans. Neither of those things were promoted early in the development cycle.

It's the opposite of rushed, they are taking their time.

VanWinkle

Full disclosure: I would anser "yes," but it doesn't bother me. I'm going to enjoy the game for what it is. It's like how I enjoyed the new KI, even though at launch it simply wasn't complete. I think the model of releasing strong framework and core content, then building more based on feedback from that point on is a good thing when development capital is at a premium. But I also won't pretend a title missing things like this doesn't feel rushed.

I would say that I would prefer they were there at launch, but I won't say that they 100% should have been there. They aren't fully standard features in the racing genre outside of sims (well, photo mode). Weather, who knows if it'll be there or not in most games. I'd say it's an extra, but one that I would have been really disappointed with if it hadn't come at all.

I think that, if you look at the game that is releasing tomorrow, it's a complete, fleshed-out game. It's not a perfect game with everything we want, but what's there is not a barebones title that begs to be something more.

Stillmatic

Nope. They haven't really been promoting photomode much at all, and I love seeing their progress on their weather system. Which is above and beyond any other weather system I've seen in a game, so it's understandable why it is taking longer than usual. Some big racing franchises that have been around forever have yet to even have dynamic weather or even dynamic day/night cycles.

Gaz_RB

But the console warz... We have two exclusive 1080P 30fps sim-cade racers releasing like a week from each other...

...but yeah they aren't the same game. FH2 is like battlefield where Driveclub is like COD (open maps vs focused maps)

Honestly I'd even go so far to say one is like a third person shooter and the other is a first person shooter. To those outside of the enthusiast circle, they seem nearly identical, but if you're a racing/shooter fan, you know they are fundamentally different. With that said, I also think that its ok to discuss the two-they share a lot in common and it can be useful to compare and contrast them. Its when the fanboy and console war notions come into play that the conversation turns in a more toxic direction.

Quietly enjoying my mountain dew and doritos while reading this thread and playing DRIVECLUB.

How'd you get it early?

Essential? What other racers have fully dynamic weather simulations?
i really dont know but what i do know is most racing games release with a weather system. its good that dc are going with a fully dynamic simulation but that should be part of the finished game not patched in months later
You know these game boxes aren't made by the game developers, right?

Look, the typo is a bit of an embarrassment. No denying that. And they should have caught the mistake. But you're making it into something way more than it is.

edit: Also, the weather was never part of the project initially. They decided to add it in based on consumer feedback. You know, as a gesture that they care about their fans. Same with the photo mode.
i dont understand how a racing game can release without weather or photo mode, they strike me as essential features especially when competitor games are doing it.
They've said, literally, since the announcements of those features, that they aren't going to be in the game at launch. They've said this for months and months. I'm not going to say the game is not rushed at all, because technically they could delay it further, but it seems that they've decided to add these features after they announced when the game would release.

And, again, the box art grammar error is nothing. It's the smallest deal in the world. A little embarrassing mistake that means nothing.
it just seems a little rushed to me thats all im saying
None of those things you mentioned were in the game to begin with. They added them in much later in the dev cycle and stated as soon as they were introduced that they would not be in there at launch. They could release the game without rain or snow or photomode and the game would still be a complete package.
it wouldnt feel like a complete package to me, weather + photomode are common place in racing games now.
wait...what?

tumblr_n507ogM0Rq1smcbm7o1_500.gif
2680298-driveclub.jpg

To those who already have copies of the game: Did your DLC code work? I tried redeeming mine twice and it didn't work. It might be because I have a brazilian copy of the game and a US PSN account, but it could also be because the hasn't been officialy released yet.

Gestault

Is this game 30FPS or 60FPS? I'm still buying it, but would like to know.

30 fps, but the combination of input priority and motion blur have made it look incredibly smooth. Some of the best of arcade-style racing titles have been designed around a solid 30, and it's not been a problem.

Work is going to drag today. I get out at 12:30am so I hope to get home and have one race before going to bed. First race is gonna set with rainy weather.

Is this game 30FPS or 60FPS? I'm still buying it, but would like to know.
30 fps, but it does have a really good sense of speed.

To those who already have copies of the game: Did your DLC code work? I tried redeeming mine twice and it didn't work. It might be because I have a brazilian copy of the game and a US PSN account, but it could also be because the hasn't been officialy released yet.
That's why. You can't mix and match dlc from different regions.

Kane1345

Well it's good timing that it's late in the UK now because I really need to get away from this thread for a while :p Looking forward to GAF's impressions tomorrow! Night people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom