• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJLord

think it was fair enough myself (the gamespot stream), was just a casual look at the game and neither of them are going to be reviewing it anyway so not like it matters.

think some people here find it a bit of a shock that outside of this hype thread, some people might not find the game as 'amazing' as you would like. myself I am looking forward to it, but will play the plus version first to form an opinion.

Yeah but even a casual look should be able to answer basic questions and not come across like they were brought of of bed two seconds ago and dragged in front of the camera in a daze.

It's their paying job for Christs sake show a little professionalism.

I couldn't care less if they liked it or not but they didn't even manage to give a half formed opinion on anything.

Not a fan of the racing genre but I caved to the hype, even though there is a free version. What can I expect? When is the App coming out?

honestly think gamespot is right in saying if horizon was multiplat i dont think anyone would pick up driveclub, it looks very meh. hope is sells well though would suck to see another dev close down

I would have still bought DC since i don't like most open world games.
The media , companies and some gamers this gen seem to have a open world hard on but some of us don't care about them as much .

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In the US - will the PS+ Edition be available at midnight tonight USA time, or sometime later itomorrow with your other PS+ games?

I'm from the UK and thinking of subbing to the US PSN for a month to get early access.

Hey, that's a good idea. Play the ps+ version for a few days. Maybe some of our US Gaf friends have spare 7 day PSN codes from games etc that are only usable on new accounts..?

Kerned

Banned
They're two completely different sub genres of racing game. A lot of people vastly prefer closed circuit racers over open world racers, and vice versa. I don't know why people are so hellbent on comparing the two.

People are probably "hellbent on comparing the two" because they are both current-gen racing games, exclusive to their respective consoles and coming out within a week of each other. Comparing them is perfectly valid and not at all surprising.

Gaz_RB

Because of this thread I will no longer visit Gamespot or Joystiq ever again. Two stupid streams filled with stupid people who shouldn't be talking about games.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be cool to get a GAF gaming website together with various members and their opinions.

And then I realize we already have NeoGAF.

Kssio_Aug

There is not aliasing everywhere. There are edges where you would expect aliasing, but they are perfect. Then there are some where you expect them but there is no / bad aa.

For example the ventilation grille at the front bumper is perfect but there is some aliasing on the wiper.

Anyway, once youre in motion, you won't notice the aliasing.

I'd say there is a fair chance it gets patched.

My problem is with those white dots:

9Dej1b6.jpg

First time I noticed it for real was on one of their first videos after the delay, on a race at night. It was pretty apparent in motion. Not sure how is it in motion nowadays though.

VanWinkle

honestly think gamespot is right in saying if horizon was multiplat i dont think anyone would pick up driveclub, it looks very meh. hope is sells well though would suck to see another dev close down

What do you think looks meh about it?

Do you feel that an open-world racer is automatically better than a circuit racer?

Hey, that's a good idea. Play the ps+ version for a few days. Maybe some of our US Gaf friends have spare 7 day PSN codes from games etc that are only usable on new accounts..?
I think I may have a free month from my Destiny LE. I will check when I get home in a few hours.

GravyButt

Going to try the free version first. I really want to buy it. But Forza horizons 2 messes with my vertigo so much, so im assuming this will too.

23qwerty

People are probably "hellbent on comparing the two" because they are both current-gen racing games, exclusive to their respective consoles and coming out within a week of each other. Comparing them is perfectly valid and not at all surprising.

Two completely different offshoots of the racing genre.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
The sense of speed is mindblowing goddamn....

The sense of wiping out at every second is also mindblowing.

I swear wrestling this car into submission is gonna give me hemorrhoids.

Cool. Just remembered to start my preload. Graphics does not a great game make. Between this and forza I'm gonna be happy as a pig in shit, for quite awhile, when it comes to my racing fix.

Shaneus

Can anyone tell me when the AU version is supposed to unlock?

Oh, and how to get the season pass? I couldn't see it anywhere on the store.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

First time I noticed it for real was on one of their first videos after the delay, on a race at night. It was pretty apparent in motion. Not sure how is it in motion nowadays though.

I swear it's got something to do with freeze frame shots with moderate to heavy motion blur.

Because you can't notice them during gameplay.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Oh my God. LOL. I don't play while looking through a microscope, so I'm good.

d9b

Banned
graphics are great but not impressive. There are alot of jaggies everywhere, which really ruins it for me. Gameplay wise is fantastic. Still have only seen one level but graphically left me underwhelmed.
Not sure I like the sound of this... Is that general consensus from people that have the game already? Wasn't there supposed to be some special AA that Driveclub is utilising? I'm not going to be able to try it until Friday.

23qwerty

Not sure I like the sound of this... Is that general consensus from people that have the game already? Wasn't there supposed to be some special AA that Driveclub is utilising? I'm not going to be able to try it until Friday.

General consensus from people playing it is that aliasing is not noticeable during gameplay.

Kssio_Aug

I swear it's got something to do with freeze frame shots with moderate to heavy motion blur.

Because you can't notice them during gameplay.

By the video you posted I really could not see any. It was more apparent on the older viedes I saw I think (mainly in 3rd person, so you could see it on the back of the car).

Gestault

It's not even noticeable during gameplay.

Someone told me otherwise at one point?

I'd hate to shit on some people's parades here but I can confirm that the IQ is not nearly as god like as some gifs would have you believe.

There's jaggies everywhere.

From the cars to the railings in the background while you choose your livery.

The game is ace though. Plays wonderfully.

Ricky_R said:
How's the aliasing in real life?
It's not that good tbh... I was disappointed.

BiGBoSSMk23

I love how you can make it your bitch in corners like this:
http://youtu.be/fWsG6ZVUwNQ?t=1m20s

You should know, right? You've probably driven it by now, but I'm sure you picked the BAC Mono for that event. :p

It takes so much throttle and brake and steering control for that thing not oversteer itself into a tornado it's ridiculous.

EDIT:

BAC Mono am locked -_-

Gotta level up my club again ffs...

They're two completely different sub genres of racing game. A lot of people vastly prefer closed circuit racers over open world racers, and vice versa. I don't know why people are so hellbent on comparing the two.

If I had a choice between both, I'd still be buying Driveclub. Open-world racers almost never have track design that matches their purpose-built counterparts. Also, try telling that to the people in here that own an X1.

I would have still bought DC since i don't like most open world games.
The media , companies and some gamers this gen seem to have a open world hard on but some of us don't care about them as much .

I would buy both actually. Two different games.
i dont play racing games so i should have mentioned this in my original comment but to me forza just looks so much more appealing if i was to buy one + the amount of content isnt even comparable.
What do you think looks meh about it?

Do you feel that an open-world racer is automatically better than a circuit racer?

the graphics arent blowing me away like they were in the promo vids, the lack of content, the delayed stuff like weather getting patched in i mean come on there is even a grammar error on the gamebox

MJLord

But then it's barely noticeable in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV11PsC4hSo

I didn't notice it while staring at the areas you pointed out and the edges of the car. If I was also concentrated in playing as well then it becomes nothing.

MJLord

i dont play racing games so i should have mentioned this in my original comment but to me forza just looks so much more appealing if i was to buy one + the amount of content isnt even comparable.

Okay so you just come into racing games OTs to just mull about or whatever then.

GameSeeker

That's not even close to the consensus from the folks on GAF already playing it. It would be a minority viewpoint.

Bedlam

That's probably the crux here. If I wasn't big on racing games and just wanted a fun sandbox with cars to mess around with, I'd probably choose FH2 as well. Hell, I played the first game for that reason but imo open-world "racing" games are always pretty poor when it comes to the actual racing part due to various reasons (I still had fun with FH1, 1000GSed it but the actual racing wasn't that great).

However, as someone who wants an actual racing game at the moment, my choice is Driveclub. Closed-track racers are just the better racing games. No exceptions.

the graphics arent blowing me away like they were in the promo vids, the lack of content, the delayed stuff like weather getting patched in i mean come on there is even a grammar error on the gamebox
So you're pretty much admitting that you're just here to talk shit. Okay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom