• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kssio_Aug

You are really harping on this "Forza killer" stuff.

Letitgo.gif

Maybe I am wrong. But you really dont think that there will be no reviewers that may take that in consideration? Specially giving the time frame between this and FH2? And also the natural comparison between Forza and Sony's racing IP?

Maybe I am wrong. But that is, in my honest opinion, very unlikely.

Destiny - Metacritic Average 77 - Popular opinion = This game is average tripe and not worth most people's time!

I believe that is your opinion? Me and more than half my friend list is playing Destiny. That might be a reflection on popular opinion, but since I have a small sample base, I'm as clueless as you are.

mreddie

Can we play Driveclub?
No.
Can we play Driveclub?
No.
Can we play Driveclub?
No.
Can we play Driveclub?
No.

m6W20l.gif

Maybe I am wrong. But you really dont think that there will be no reviewers that may take that in consideration? Specially giving the time frame between this and FH2? And also the natural comparison between Forza and Sony's racing IP?

This game is doesnt compare to forza gameplay wise. I would wait for gt for a "ForzaKiller"

Ishan

I'm very familiar with Danny. I like Danny. But he sounded moronic in that stream and didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

So now all of you GiantBombers can go back to your little thread and laugh about us silly Driveclub fanboys. Tee hee.

whos that in your avatar. doesnt look familiar :S

orochi91

I see where you're coming from. Given the wealth of content present in FH2, I'd be
fairly disappointed to see DC review just as good. It sets a bad precedent, that releasing
unfinished products can still review and subsequently sell well. I like how Destiny
was taken to task by the media for lacking in content, and the meta score reflects that.

Salex_

I see where you're coming from. Given the wealth of content present in FH2, I'd be
fairly disappointed to see DC review just as good. It sets a bad precedent, that releasing
unfinished products can still review and subsequently sell well. I like how Destiny
was taken to task by the media for lacking in content, and the meta score reflects that.

Checklist reviews shouldn't be a thing. I can think of a ton of fun games with great gameplay that excelled at what it aimed to do but they weren't packed with content. Should all of those games get bad reviews because of that?

GodofWine

I've been getting some friend requests because of DRIVECLUB-GAF and will be shooting some out tonight. I can't wait to race with you guys....just gotta figure out how to get all of my single dad responsibilities out of the way lol. Is there a thread where I can find out what clubs are being made? Id' like to start a small one for older (30+) gamers.

Where you at...im a 30 something dad as well who plays weeknights after the kids are asleep

Lets do this..Fast Daddy Racing Club :)

Korezo

What content is missing in driveclub?

unfinished products can still review and subsequently sell well.
I like how Destiny
???

psn

It sort of reminds me of the concept car Red Bull had in GT5. The X1 I think it was, although less ridiculous.

The X1 was a fan car right? Those were banned due to safety concerns. Nicki Lauda drove one, apparently the fan was linked to the engine in such a way just revving it would cause the car to squat. It was a downforce life hack.

I wonder if some of those regulations have been lifted.

Weren't Group B rally races also nuts for not regulating what some of their cars could do?

Yeah, those were banned, there was another one in GT5, Chaparral 2J. Awesome cars, but as you said it wasnt so safe for the drivers behind them :D
052013_1536_downforcewi47.jpg

BTW you've got challenges, sir :D

And a crashing green car while blue cars zoom by. Let's not delude ourselves. Their PR wants it to be compared, even if devs don't.
The competition will do them both some good. I'm just happy to see another realistic racer on the PS4 rather than pinning all my hopes on the next GT.

The more the merrier, and considering how much is on offer right now across consoles and PC, with DriveClub being a crown jewel in that lineup, racing fans have all the reason in the world be to be seriously merry motherfuckers.

I know I am :)

VanWinkle

No games these days are finished if you consider post-game updates to go towards "finishing" a game. And the only area I'd say FH2 beats DC in, content-wise, is cars.

What content is missing?

Weather, Photomode, even something basic for any racing game like a replay mode is missing. Even the decals editor is missing some options relatively basic for any game of genre.

Orochi91 post nails the point, setting a precedent is what makes all of this worse.

The game needs to nail the social/online component from the start, and it's already lacking since it has no private lobbys, but it is the main focus of the game after all so there should be a lot to talk about that.

Kssio_Aug

Checklist reviews shouldn't be a thing. I can think of a ton of fun games with great gameplay that excelled at what it aimed to do but they weren't packed with content. Should all of those games get bad reviews because of that?

Not bad reviews, but I also cant blame some reviewrs to take that in consideration for maybe a point. But ofcourse, as a good review should do, they will also evaluate the game merits, not only its demerits.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
ugh customization in this game is not even a thing. Even the paint jobs/decals are bad

They're not bad there's just so little you can do with them.

"Oh you want your club badge design to be part of your livery? *SPLAT* There, nice sticker, bro."

It should let you move things around the car's body freely so you can come up with something truly unique. Keep it somewhat restricted so there aren't any purposely freaky looking cars out there, but as it is, it's too "accessible"

It's the same reason I dislike iPhone vs Androids

Destiny - Metacritic Average 77 - Popular opinion = This game is average tripe and not worth most people's time!

Forza 5 - Metacritic Average 79 - Popular opinion = This is a great game, definitely worth a purchase and a major reason to own an Xbox One!

Point being, reviews and metacritic aren't always indicative or reflective of the average consensus. It works both ways mind, see GTA IV.
Let's not forget BioShock Infinite... Which sits at 94.
game was bogus

Don't care at all about reviews. Seems like everything that gets released these days that's an AAA production is getting 7's and 8's, takes something truly mind blowing to get 9+'s, it seems...following the film model a bit.

And that's fine, but the score is a bit irrelevant. Destiny received middling critical reception, but is a big hit and my personal GOTY....I understand it has flaws, but I've played it more than any game in a long, long, time and don't think the reviewers appreciate how much of a gamers game it is.

DriveClub will similarly receive reviews that say "it's just another racer", and well, that's just fine with me...

twitch livestream from new york user who got a retail copy early and has been playing for a few hours: http://www.twitch.tv/very_rare

he rated it 8/10 based on his short time with the game if that says anything.

but I asked him specifically if it was more addictive than GT and he said yeah it is.

VanWinkle

Weather, Photomode, even something basic for any racing game like a replay mode is missing. Even the decals editor is missing some options relatively basic for any game of genre.

Orochi91 post nails the point, setting a precedent is what makes all of this worse.

Those were never to be in the game at launch in the first place. NFS Rivals doesn't have a photo mode or replays, but nobody considers the game "unfinished". And they shouldn't, because you can't judge a game by what it DOESN'T have.

TheVoid

Neo Member

Forza 5 - Metacritic Average 79 - Popular opinion = This is a great game, definitely worth a purchase and a major reason to own an Xbox One!

Point being, reviews and metacritic aren't always indicative or reflective of the average consensus. It works both ways mind, see GTA IV.

Forza 5 is worth the purchase of an xbox one? Are you even a serious sim racing fan? Go to any sim racing website ( ofc other then forza dedicated forums) and there are TONS of other sim racers that are considered better then forza 5. PC has a ton of them, Assesto corsa, rfactor, Iracing, RRE, all of which have much better physics and handling modles, plus the general consesous on a bunch of forums is even gt6 feels more realistic. Just take a look around the web, you will see what i am talking about, there is a reason it scored so low.

I don't know what world you live in but the hardcore sim racing community does not view forza 5 as a must have racer, especially since you must buy:

1. xbox 1- $400
2. Racing wheel- $100 for the worst wheel you can buy and doesn't have a clutch (why even bother) to around $400 for the other two racing wheels that do not look like they will fall apart by simply touching them.
3. Then the game for $60 + DLC packs

Is Forza worth $800+? Fuck no

Plus i don't even know why you are comparing drive club to forza, at most driveclub can be considered simcade, have you seen its gameplay? Other then you having to break on turns it looks like an arcade racer with how forgiving it is. Even forza is better then that.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Yeah, those were banned, there was another one in GT5, Chaparral 2J. Awesome cars, but as you said it wasnt so safe for the drivers behind them :D
052013_1536_downforcewi47.jpg

BTW you've got challenges, sir :D

Oh fuck don't hurt me D:

orochi91

What content is missing in driveclub?

The posts below are why I said that:

According to some people:
-small amount of cars
-no customization
-no replay/photo mode
-no weather

NHale

You know another racing game that was filled with content? FUEL by Codemasters. Will you be concerned as well if Driveclub manages to get a better meta score than FUEL too?

The preload size was pretty small, only like 2.5 gigs. That can't be the whole game surely

"Play Go" part only. Rest of the 16GB is still downloading if you have your console on. Check on the Driveclub tile on XMB -> Information.

viveks86

The competition will do them both some good. I'm just happy to see another realistic racer on the PS4 rather than pinning all my hopes on the next GT.

The more the merrier, and considering how much is on offer right now across consoles and PC, racing fans have all the reason in the world be to be seriously merry motherfuckers.

We can agree on that :)

Korezo

According to some people:
-small amount of cars
-no customization
-no replay/photo mode
-no weather

The game needs to nail the social/online component from the start, and it's already lacking since it has no private lobbys, but it is the main focus of the game after all so there should be a lot to talk about that.

But does playing the fame feel like theirs a lack of content? Like not many races or repetitiveness.

orochi91

You know another racing game that was filled with content? FUEL by Codemasters. Will you be concerned as well if Driveclub manages to get a better meta score than FUEL too?

Dunno about FUEL, but I have higher expectations from first party games :/

Forza 5 is worth the purchase of an xbox one?
Opinions.

Forza Horizon was the number one reason I bought an Xbox. (Though Forza 5 got me to jump in early)
DriveClub was the number one reason I bought a PS4.

Did I mention this is a great fucking month for games? Because holy shit.

commedieu

Banned
Everyone has their own opinion and issues about games. I take them as a grain of salt, like the dude trying to compare DC to 3 year old Dirt 3 which that comparison is simply off the wall baffling because of the sheer amount of graphic effects DC is doing along with the extreme track-side details. The AA seems perfectly fine from what I've seen, is it high end PC quality AA? Well of course not, this is a console game but for a first year PS4 title and yet still is able to be the best looking racing game to date including anything on PC....i think DC has truly raised the bar for racing game visuals and this is simply coming from a unbiased PC gamer that i am.

Take the blatant negative comments in here as a grain of salt and judge the game with your own tastes,etc...we all of our opinions and tastes or things that bug us about games but it don't mean its true to the next person.

There is one thing for sure, this game is solid and from the feedback i have read and heard from those that have have the game now...its been nothing but 98% positive, mostly saying the gameplay is really fun and exciting and visuals are bar none set above anything else. And to think this is a frist year PS4 title that will be supported for months to come with new tracks, cars, weather addon pack,etc for free, mind you!

I just wanted to see if any opinion would be anything other than Second Son, meaning that a person gaming this gen has just had nothing but frustration while playing every single game this gen.

The posts below are why I said that:
Keep in mind, I don't believe the game is unfinished. The majority of racers don't have the amount of cars that GT/Forza have. Not all racing games have a photomode and a replay mode(NFS Rivals, for example), not all racers have weather. Were those games unfinished? No. That just wasn't their priority when it came to developing the game. In DC's case, the devs focused on the gameplay first and foremost, then the social aspect and UIX. Everything else was extra.

Loudninja

Opinions.

Forza Horizon was the number one reason I bought an Xbox. (Though Forza 5 got me to jump in early)
DriveClub was the number one reason I bought a PS4.

Did I mention this is a great fucking month for games? Because holy shit.
Its funny how the PS4 had one racer then bam! 3 them coming in a a short period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom