• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

A little nervous the review embargo is in effect still. Guess that means the scores will be 8 or less right? Does a game that will get 9s all around use review embargos?

If money tight for you just play the free version for now. I purchased my copy since it would have to suck super bad for me not to like it at all.

All Rockstar games have day of release review embargoes and those seem to do just fine in terms of scores.

Then again Watch Dogs and Destiny also had day one embargoes. It could mean something or nothing.

psn

1. Both are exclusives

2. Both are racing games

3. Both are in between sim and arcade in terms of handling

4. Both feature a heavy emphasis on social connectivity

5. They release a week apart

Seem pretty similar to me.

But one is open world, one a track / course racer.

The tracks / courses in Driveclub are made for pure racing. If you want that, you pick Driveclub.

If you want to race through fields and cornfields or race in the open world, FH2 it is.

In FH2 I never get the feeling of track racing, even when racing on the streets. It feels like racing in GTA V for me, obv with a better sense of speed, a good cockpit view etc...

If it gets 6/10 it will be ridiculous.

No surprise there, mostly DC will get plenty of 6/7 than 8/9 due to lack of single player content as they try to compare this with FH2 and some unfinished features which makes this game attractive like Dynamic Weather, Replay and Photo mode. Hope this game gets an average of 80 if its lucky considering todays metrics for reviews, but i believe this game will do fine in long term due to the updates they planned and word of mouth because of user base(especially EU) for the next 6 months regardless of reviews.

Everyone's so busy talking about reviews that no one's talking about the game! There should just be a review thread already.

Anybody playing? Does eastern US gaf have it unlocked already or do they have to wait another 2 hours as well?

Vire

Everyone's so busy talking about reviews that no one's talking about the game! There should just be a review thread already.

Anybody playing? Does eastern US gaf have it unlocked already or do they have to wait another 2 hours as well?

I would be playing instead of talking about reviews if digital releases on the east coast weren't such bullshit.

Gotta wait till 3AM.

WoolyNinja

The comparisons to FH2 are ridiculous. It's like comparing a non open world game like Gears of War to Infamous. Doesn't make sense and you'd never knock Gears of War for lack of open worldness.

rich7sena

Banned
Both are similar in some aspects but its goal and content is different.

At the end of the day, both are non-sim racing games that focus on making driving fun for all players. I have little doubt that most reviewers will appreciate more what Horizon 2 offers.

DLC will really flesh out Driveclub as the title matures. Unfortunately, a lot of that content won't be judged on day one.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This is probably the most stressed out pre-release OT community I've seen. Right next to Destiny-GAF anyway.

No idea who these dudes are, just did a random search on Twitter.

mUfqMqz.png

4/10 from Polygon confirmed.

Meh, Driveclub will be great in it's own right. Horizon 2 is fantastic, but Driveclub and Horizon aren't really comparable. Sure they both focus and push the "Social" bulletpoint, but they seem to strive for it in different ways. Forza is open world, and Driveclub isn't, there's no possible way they'd share the same methods for "Social Interactions."

and who really cares which game is "better", different audiences. No auidence is effected by which game is "objectively" better aside from maybe Console Warriors who want to don their flags.

Vire

I'll be interested in your thoughts on the image quality, since you were similarly concerned like me. I won't be getting it until the PS+ Edition releases.

I might not be able to stay up till 3 AM unfortunately. :/

I gotta get up at 8 AM tomorrow. I will definitely be sure to post my impressions of the full game later though, sorry!

nikos

I'll be interested in your thoughts on the image quality, since you were similarly concerned like me. I won't be getting it until the PS+ Edition releases.

The visuals are good, but not as good as GIFs and videos have made them seem to be, IMO. My very first impression was that the gameplay was better than the visuals, which actually says a lot because the game is still beautiful, especially from the cockpit view.

It somehow seems to get better looking as you play it, probably because you learn to see past its minor caveats and appreciate the beauty behind them.

VanWinkle

I might not be able to stay up till 3 AM unfortunately. :/

I gotta get up at 8 AM tomorrow. I will definitely be sure to post my impressions of the full game later though, sorry!

I am now mad.

The visuals are good, but not as good as GIFs and videos have made them seem to be, IMO. My very first impression was that the gameplay was better than the visuals, which actually says a lot because the game is still beautiful, especially from the cockpit view.

It somehow seems to get better looking as you play it, probably because you learn to see past its minor caveats and appreciate the beauty behind them.

Sounds about what I figured! Thanks!

not as good as the capture videos?
that makes no sense.

When you watch compressed videos, you can't accurately gauge image quality.

Visuals look different in different lighting conditions as they try to do realtime lighting which is same in real life too. Sometimes a place does not look great in under some lighting conditions but great sometimes. So, DC doing like we get the picture of real locations in different conditions.

EDIT: If its baked lightning then developers can make them pretty every time as its fixed unlike dynamic realtime lighting which changes always.

Stillmatic

It really does, it's pretty weird in that way. Playing the beta my first couple of races I thought it looked good, but nothing amazing. After a few more races it was like, holy shit this looks good.

nib95

Banned

GIFS I can understand, but how can the visuals be worse than 1080p videos we've been seeing lol, if anything they'd be better. Chances are the game just picks the worse looking tracks/conditions earlier on, and offers more and more of the better looking stuff as it goes on.

viveks86

If you're expecting any sort of advanced consumer protection laws in the US, you're in for a bad time. I'm surprised they haven't repealed laws barring led from gasoline and paint here yet.

Oh I'm not expecting it at all. Not in the US. Was just trying to guess where Vire was coming from :)

rich7sena

Banned
It really does, it's pretty weird in that way. Playing the beta my first couple of races I thought it looked good, but nothing amazing. After a few more races it was like, holy shit this looks good.

I think the nuanced lighting goes a long way to appreciating how good the game looks.

Vire

I'm not stressed at all, I'm listening to this new Flying Lotus album and enjoying an adult beverage.

This album is dope.

viveks86

I leave you kids to play on your own for ONE PAGE and the clocks are GONE! Tch tch

Release (GMT-08:00):
t1412665200z4.png

Reviews (GMT-08:00):
t1412686800z4.png

PS+ Edition (Tuesday GCT):
50900-Ellen-Page-shrug-gif-Tb30.gif

The comparisons to FH2 are ridiculous. It's like comparing a non open world game like Gears of War to Infamous. Doesn't make sense and you'd never knock Gears of War for lack of open worldness.

I don't own either game yet, so I have no vested interest in either, but every time I read this I have a hard time understanding this rationality. Both games are arcade racing games at heart, and the core of the games (handling, sound, vehicle adjustability, graphics, track design, ect..) are similar regardless if they are open world or not. You could compare Burnout Paradise or TDU to Dirt or Need for Speed just as easily, since driving games share the same mechanics. You know if a driving game handles horribly, sounds like shit, looks like shit, or is limited in content regardless of where the racing takes place. Not that either game falls under any of these weaknesses, The biggest issue would be if one was meant to me a true sim like Forza or GT, which neither are.

If a game is good or great it will stand up on its own merits regardless of what it is compared to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom