• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you're adding people from DRIVECLUB-GAF, give a little love to the end of the list. You might have to scroll for a while, but it's totally worth it.

Stillmatic

At least you don't have to wait for Dick Smith to ship your copy. :)

Never again for me (pre-order online), even though they have some awesome prices sometimes. The first and last time for me was with Destiny, I took release day off work and it arrived the day after. I was tracking it so when lunchtime came around I thought fuck it, it's not going to come today so I went to EB and got them to price match, I returned that copy the next day using their 7 day change of mind policy.

This worked out well for me because they accidentally refunded me their retail price ($99) instead of the price I got them to price match ($69). :p

viveks86

Alright guys. Time for me to take a shower, have some food and charge both controllers. Tonight is gonna be a looooong night.

Release (GMT-08:00):
t1412665200z4.png

Reviews (GMT-08:00):
t1412686800z4.png

PS+ Edition (GCT):
50900-Ellen-Page-shrug-gif-Tb30.gif

For new page

I can see a lot of criticism tomorrow will target how simple the entire package is. No tuning little customisation very basic beginnings of club support, one or two official wheels, one soundtrack, a euro centric hyper car collection. A last gen racer would not get off the ground with this feature set. The visuals are the one trump card, at least until weather makes it two.
I'm glad there's no tuning. Let the races be won by the drivers and their cars, not their tunes.

No tuning also means you can't dial out the edges. You've got to adapt to the car's characteristics and everybody starts that relationship off as equals.

Vire

I don't understand why publishers can get away with setting the embargo at 9 AM the day of release.

The game is publicly available at midnight... why can't reviews go up at midnight?

Matt

I don't understand why publishers can get away with setting the embargo at 9 AM the day of release.

The game is publicly available at midnight... why can't reviews go up at midnight?

It's what they agree to when they take the review copy.

rich7sena

Banned
I'm glad there's no tuning. Let the races be won by the drivers and their cars, not their tunes.

No tuning also means you can't dial out the edges. You've got to adapt to the car's characteristics and everybody starts that relationship off as equals.

I don't think the lack of tuning will be a knock on this game, honestly. I think the lack of a true logo and livery editor is a more glaring omission.

benzy

Wait, there's no pre-order for the $60 version if you don't have PSplus. The pre-order and pre-load is psplus exclusive??

I'm glad there's no tuning. Let the races be won by the drivers and their cars, not their tunes..

Online I agree.
Single player, it would be nice to stick with a car you love by tuning it, rather than abandoning it the moment you have to beat cars with a better power/weight ratio.

Saberus

You know all those crazy x-gaffers that had their accounts perma banned.. well, don't you worry about them, they are all fine.. they all have twitter accounts now...geese..lol

benzy

In the US, yes. Not sure about other regions

Yeah, I'm in the US. I see what they're doing though. You just have to buy a 1 month psplus subscription for $10, then they will let you pre-order DC for $50, so you end up with a free one month psplus for a $60 game.

whoaduh

How are you guys choosing who to add from the list? I'm suprised how many invites I've gotten (around 40 or so) because my name starts with a "w" so I'm far down on the list with all the other wierdo w and v people. Just wondering your system or if you just go bat shit crazy and invite everyone.

Yeah, I'm in the US. I see what they're doing though. You just have to buy a 1 month psplus subscription for $10, then they will let you pre-order DC for $50, so you end up with a free one month psplus for a $60 game.

I have a 7 day PS+ code that may or may not work, if you want it.

demolitio

Well, I think I might end up getting DC soon since Destiny is worth $40 trade-in which isn't so bad considering I only paid $46 and those were gift cards.

Shit works itself out when you need a pick-me-up.

Ibuki

Banned
My Driveclub pre order bonus code doesn't work, anyone else with same problem? Shit is getting me mad.

Why would you expect it to work already? Pre-order/bonus codes almost never work until the store is updated on the day of release. Be patient.

Codeblew

How are you guys choosing who to add from the list? I'm suprised how many invites I've gotten (around 40 or so) because my name starts with a "w" so I'm far down on the list with all the other wierdo w and v people. Just wondering your system or if you just go bat shit crazy and invite everyone.

I couldn't decide who to add so I just added everybody.

A little worried about my T100....plugged it into my ps4 and now the wheel is locked up and the buttons don't do anything :/

Rusty said it was supported right?

Codeblew

I don't get the comparisons to FH2. They are not even the same genre as far as I am concerned. Two completely different games.

MilkBeard

I don't get the comparisons to FH2. They are not even the same genre as far as I am concerned. Two completely different games.

Yeah honestly Driveclub should be scored based on it's own merits and what it does well/not well. It shouldn't be compared to another racer of another type on a different console. (just my opinion)

Vire

1. Both are exclusives

2. Both are racing games

3. Both are in between sim and arcade in terms of handling

4. Both feature a heavy emphasis on social connectivity

5. They release a week apart

Seem pretty similar to me.

Eusis

No idea who these dudes are, just did a random search on Twitter.

mUfqMqz.png
Wouldn't surprise me if it was somewhere in between The Crew and Forza Horizon 2.

Although, there is something to be said for The Crew's scope, and Forza Horizon 2's presumed polish. Driveclub doubled down on visual fidelity and that could well be its undoing.

Online I agree.
Single player, it would be nice to stick with a car you love by tuning it, rather than abandoning it the moment you have to beat cars with a better power/weight ratio.
I can empathize with that, definitely, its just that tuning is such a dark and technical art that it seems like way too much to ask players to delve into to stay viable against other players, leaderboard times or even more difficult AI.

And for me there's just something pure about taking on the cars as they are, or tuned by Evo in this case.

If it gets 6/10 it will be ridiculous.
You never know - maybe its story really sucks ;p

I have no idea what scores it'll get but I expect to wince at reviews all the same.

1. Both are exclusives

2. Both are racing games

3. Both are in between sim and arcade in terms of handling

4. Both feature a heavy emphasis on social connectivity

5. They release a week apart

Seem pretty similar to me.

Both are similar in some aspects but its goal and content is different.

Loudninja

Wouldn't surprise me if it was somewhere in between The Crew and Forza Horizon 2.

Although, there is something to be said for The Crew's scope, and Forza Horizon 2's presumed polish. Driveclub doubled down on visual fidelity and that could well be its undoing.
What?

Stillmatic

Pretty much. I'd imagine general reviewers are pretty casual when it comes to the racing genre and would prefer an open world to roam around and mess about in. So no surprises if it doesn't review well, but 6/10 would be pretty ridiculous.

Kumubou

Honestly, I just went ham and added everyone. Did it from the phone app though, so it was relatively quick (which also allowed me to paste a short message without going nuts).

I'm sure he knows that. He's probably wondering why there is no consumer law that prohibits it. It's a topic unto itself
If you're expecting any sort of advanced consumer protection laws in the US, you're in for a bad time. I'm surprised they haven't repealed laws barring led from gasoline and paint here yet.

patchday

A little nervous the review embargo is in effect still. Guess that means the scores will be 8 or less right? Does a game that will get 9s all around use review embargos?

Well, I think I might end up getting DC soon since Destiny is worth $40 trade-in which isn't so bad considering I only paid $46 and those were gift cards.

Shit works itself out when you need a pick-me-up.

If money tight for you just play the free version for now. I purchased my copy since it would have to suck super bad for me not to like it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom