• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the reasoning for it to display in a bordered mode on a monitor? Is it because it is not natively outputting at 1080p? Edit: I know it can be changed in system settings.

I definitely saw some texture pop-in at the beginning of the race, it was a night event in Canada. Was looking at low-resolution mountains for the whole time.

why does seemingly every day track have the same "moody scottish sky box" the one with sunglare through a triangle in dark clouds... at least every time i notice the sky its that....

VSynk

Banned
none for me
everything done background loading.
servers never worked how are they going to stand up to the ps+ rush if they caved under digital launch even at 4am eastern time?

I noticed here, and this is Youtube.

You have a little pop up in the rail @1:55 for those who didn't notice it.

My 2 hour impression:

I like the time of day lighting-the courses are gorgeous, car handling and seemingly no rubber-banding AI, the cockpit view and of course the soundtrack

But after playing Forza Horizon 2 for a weekend on my XB1- Driveclub definitely feels light on content-no weather, no easy access to crazy super cars(that I found in 2 hours mind you)-no free roam, no photo mode...I realize more is to come-but thats my first impression

this has been a crazy year:2 'car game' purchases within a week!

viveks86

Oh man. My index finger hurts. Tried perfecting a time trial by chasing my own ghost, even though I already had the 3 stars. I have not done such pure racing in years! Sims were just too much for me to handle. I'm not even that good a driver. Just... average. And this hits the sweet spot for me. It's PGR all over again. It's not just one element that has PGR vibes. It's the whole package. Handling, sound, visuals, attention to detail, music, UI design and the whole "fuck all this bloat, let's just race" attitude. No crazy load times, no random commentary, no story, no cops, no explosions, no exploration, no rewind, no mico-transactions. At any given time, it's just you, your friends and one track. Memorize it, conquer it. Do it all over again.

It's 5:20 AM. I have the day off. I know what I'm doing all day.

Not sure why, but just got the PS+ full upgrade for £34.99, where as it's been advertised as £42.99... It's pre-loading too.

Did they alter the price?

Late Flag

Oh man. My index finger hurts. Tried perfecting a time trial by chasing my own ghost, even though I already had the 3 stars. I have not done such pure racing in years! Sims were just too much for me to handle. I'm not even that good a driver. Just... average. And this hits the sweet spot for me. It's PGR all over again. It's not just one element that has PGR vibes. It's the whole package. Handling, sound, visuals, attention to detail, music, UI design and the whole "fuck all this bloat, let's just race" attitude. No crazy load times, no random commentary, no story, no cops, no explosions, no exploration, no rewind, no mico-transactions. At any given time, it's just you, your friends and one track. Memorize it, conquer it. Do it all over again.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Good to hear.

Hedrush

Yeah mine started as well just now.But the three packs failed and give me errors when trying to push them via the PS4.You?

Yeah I just checked mine and the 3 car pack had failed to download, I guess that will arrive on Friday.

Edit: no I've not been charged yet either.

bombshell

Based on the bolded, IGN 6/10 confirmed.

What is the reasoning for it to display in a bordered mode on a monitor? Is it because it is not natively outputting at 1080p? Edit: I know it can be changed in system settings.

I definitely saw some texture pop-in at the beginning of the race, it was a night event in Canada. Was looking at low-resolution mountains for the whole time.
PS4 has a system setting for the Safe Area (Display Area), as you mention.

Last gen games had to ask you on first load to set the size, now it all (or can, anyway) uses the system setting to save the need to ask you.

This is because some TVs will chop off the edges of the picture (overscan). So, to stop you missing some of the image the Safe Area setting is used to resize what you see, so it all fits on your TV.

Typically, though, it is just the HUD that changes. Here it seems they resize the entire thing. Someone mentioned earlier The Show does the same thing.

bombshell

Is the small spinning icon on the home screen mean it's installing?

I'll leave it sitting on then for a while to have it install.

Nope, that just means the game is running. The background install from disc should take around 30 minutes. It should go from a full loud spinning disc drive to quiet when it's done.

Also, since servers are down, I am assuming we cannot make Clubs right?

I really want to make GAFClub Panda and add people who want a casually racing experience and join another GAFClub that wants a serious racing experience....

Got to unlock those cars and it seems the fastest way to do that is with a Club.

PS4 has a system setting for the Safe Area (Display Area), as you mention.

Last gen games had to ask you on first load to set the size, now it all (or can, anyway) uses the system setting to save the need to ask you.

This is because some TVs will chop off the edges of the picture (overscan). So, to stop you missing some of the image the Safe Area setting is used to resize what you see, so it all fits on your TV.

Typically, though, it is just the HUD that changes. Here it seems they resize the entire thing. Someone mentioned earlier The Show does the same thing.

Thank you for explaining!

It's the disc version. I only picked up the PS4 today so I don't know about installing, do I leave it in the drive to install fully? It had a small fill bar but that only lasted a minute or so.

yeah the game will install the first little bit and then keep downloading in the background as you play.

I ran into something similar with NBA 2K14 when it was installing and I was playing the initial little piece. As things downloaded the crowd glitched and such. Could just be a product of the process.

Is the small spinning icon on the home screen mean it's installing?

I'll leave it sitting on then for a while to have it install.
I leave my games alone until I hear the drive spin-down. PlayGo is nice and all, but for physical I can wait. Some games you can end up with shitty textures until it is fully installed.

kriskrosbbk

Just realised that the game will be out the first hour of Friday ,not Saturday as initially thought.24hours bonus ,nice.Still last tho(UK)

rager

Banned
unfortunately I am at work but I am playing Drive Club on my vita with remote play and it is pretty responsive. Can't wait to play it when I get home.

baconcow

This tweet does not sound true if this EB Games (Canada) exclusive bonus exists.

To reward your loyalty, as a valued GameStop customer, this pack offers you instant access to the high performance McLaren supercar which features an exclusive livery, only available within this pack.

and

The Special RUF RT12 R download enables instant access to the car for use throughout the game

Instant access = unlock early = not earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom