• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

MealyDistantDotterel.gif

This is a little off-topic, but I was thinking about how beneficial it could be for Driveclub by having the free PS+ edition, figuring that a lot of people who were not planning to buy it or were wary of the reviews would be able to judge it for themselves. But then a thought occurred to me. I wonder how many PS+ users on PS4/PS3/Vita have any clue at all that they can get games for free every month (I would imagine these people exist). For these people (if there are any), I think Sony should create a tab on the PS4 menu that shows the free games for that month and within that tab, the ability to redeem all the games at once with just one touch of a button.

I don't think they would want to do that because (correct me if I'm wrong. I probably am) the more people download something the more they have to pay. They've made it easy enough. They probably prefer people not download a game they will never play just to claim it.

In this case I don't know if the PS+ is going to hurt or help DC's sales. PS+ might get some people who are on the fence about the game to buy it after trying it out but it also might stop people from buying it because they are satisfied with how much content they get and are also able to get the platinum. I wonder which way more people will go though. I think it's preventing sales more than adding.

OH MY GOD. I think I know what I will do when the game unlocks tomorrow. I can imagine how that will look on a big TV, sitting really close to it... :D

I can tell you firsthand. Doing that on a 60 in TV with the lights off and head phones on is scary as hell. There is a reason why the person driving in that GIF just sat there after it happened.

jiiikoo

Banned
I can tell you firsthand. Doing that on a 60 in TV with the lights off and head phones on is scary as hell. There is a reason why the person driving in that GIF just sat there after it happened.

Mmmm. This is making me get funny feelings in all the right places.

Forza Horizon (the first one, which I loved, haven't played the second) displayed its personality by having a voiceover, DJs on the radio station, hell different radio stations. Different kinds of music that make the game feel alive..

ugh, fuck that shit. It ruined NFS Rivals.

The driving, tracks, landscape and lighting give this game its personality, not DJ Tom X dribbling his special brand of complete and utter tut all over my speakers.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
ugh, fuck that shit.

The driving, tracks, landscape and lighting give this game its personality, not DJ Tom X dribbling his special brand of complete and utter tut all over my speakers.

No man, everytime I take a corner well or have a sick drift, I need someone letting me know! "OHHHHH YEAHHHHH, YOU DRIFTED THE SHIT OUT OF THAT, YO!" (koolaid man + aaron paul? yes please!)

I don't need story but I'd like some personality. This game seems to have none.

Forza Horizon (the first one, which I loved, haven't played the second) displayed its personality by having a voiceover, DJs on the radio station, hell different radio stations.

But couldn't the argument be made that this game does have personality, in the sense that it's a pure car racing game for people who want to race? It shouldn't really be knocked for not having something like the festival gimmick of Horizon (which to me was by far the weakest aspect of an otherwise great game).

Associating attributes like personality and soul to video games is just a difficult thing to do. As with many other things, it's completely subjective.

Diamondium

Neo Member
No man, everytime I take a corner well or have a sick drift, I need someone letting me know! "OHHHHH YEAHHHHH, YOU DRIFTED THE SHIT OUT OF THAT, YO!" (koolaid man + aaron paul? yes please!)
Toss me in the minority, but I love the environment Driveclub has and I love the environment Forza Horizon 2 has. They're different styles, not sure why people can't enjoy both.

CodeNfX

I played about 40 minutes and my initial impressions are:

-Love how the intro starts you into a race before the menus, feels awesome.

-The day to night weather is amazing.

-The landscape, details, engines roaring is beautiful.

-I didn't like the penalties for colliding, off track, etc. but in the end I like how it makes you drive more cautiously.

-Fix the servers!

I'm enjoying my time with the game but for the amount of online features they touted in the game, for the servers to be down is ridiculous. Especially after almost a year delay.

I'm enjoying my time with the game but for the amount of online features they touted in the game, for the servers to be down is ridiculous. Especially after almost a year delay.

Servers have had problems at launch with almost every major game release for years. This is nothing new. It'll get fixed.

Surfheart

Just had a go of the first race and I'm not sure how to feel. Disappointed I guess.

The track detail is amazing but the presentation while you are in the car racing makes it feel like a game from last gen. Everything seems soft with crushed blacks and the jittery camera makes it look like the game is constantly stuttering.

The way the opponent cars look, move and animate Is incredibly poor compared to recent next gen racing games, and with the aforementioned stuttering they seem to jump around the track.

The actual driving just doesn't seem enjoyable to me, I can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't feel good or fun to drive.

GodofWine

Im hoping the servers being hammered into submission is a positive sign as far as sales volume is concerned

Just had a go of the first race and I'm not sure how to feel. Disappointed I guess.

The track detail is amazing but the presentation while you are in the car racing makes it feel like a game from last gen. Everything seems soft with crushed blacks and the jittery camera makes it look like the game is constantly stuttering.

The way the opponent cars look, move and animate Is incredibly poor compared to recent next gen racing games, and with the aforementioned stuttering they seem to jump around the track.

The actual driving just doesn't seem enjoyable to me, I can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't feel good or fun to drive.

Are you playing The Crew beta on xbone by any chance?

Might want to check your PS4's RGB settings. You shouldn't be seeing any crushed blacks whatsoever.

That first race is underwhelming yeah. Try the mountain *something* race. It looks and feels great. That's when the game clicked for me.

arit

Being 2 hours into the game I can't say that I'm impressed by the visuals. Perhaps I had really bad luck with the weather or the behind the car cameras just negate them.

Maybe I'm just not the eyecandy kinda guy and seem to notice the late decal fade-ins and 30fps more than most poeple.

EDIT: Why do all the characters look like generic douchebags?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Toss me in the minority, but I love the environment Driveclub has and I love the environment Forza Horizon 2 has. They're different styles, not sure why people can't enjoy both.

I agree, I should have included that. Obviously we need variation between titles.

Just got back from gamestop and had a funny exchange...

"a copy of driveclub please"
"for what system?"
I internally laughed and answered "the only system it's on", which forced the guy to look it up in the computer. He told me "oh sorry I didn't even know that was out today"

Overall a quality gamestop customer experience.

I am not looking forward to picking up my pre-order from Gamestop later today... everytime I go in there, it's like a bad visit to Wal-mart.

I am looking forward to sliding my disc into the PS3 when I get home.
You assumed right, my dong is disc shaped.

Agreed. Been playing a lot of FH2 the past week and the scenery is beautiful even if it doesn't feel as "next gen". Driveclub is also gorgeous.

whynotboth.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom