• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

GravyButt

Bought it on impulse today. Wow. Very fun, dont care what the reviews say this is awesome.

Wish the servers would work though. Someone invite me to a club on pan when it works. Kevbo887

baconcow

I wanted this game to do well 85%+, but after reading pieces of the reviews, I am seeing some justification for the scores. There is a growing trend of unfinished games (i.e. Destiny, NHL 15 PS4/XB1), these days, and rewarding them with high scores might send developers the wrong message. Reviewers cannot review potentially incredible features (dynamic weather, 11 more tracks, 9 more cars, photo mode, and replay mode) that do not yet exist. However, luckily NeoGAF member impressions are usually more on spot with my own than most media outlets. My copy seems to be delayed now until tomorrow, but I should be able to form some of my own impressions about the PS+ version.

Lady Gaia

I played two tour events last night, and the 2-stage hot hatch cup this morning. That was enough to bump me to driver level 3 and unlock two additional cars. Extremely quick impressions:

Bare-bones game structure. You're dropped into a race immediately on launching the game for the first time with no introduction, voiceover, or setup of any kind. It's a little disconcerting but it gets across an important point: DriveClub is about racing, period. There really isn't much to do but dive headlong into one event after another. If you like the challenge that represents I suspect there's a lot of fun to be had here, but if you're looking for a story? Some motivation to drive? More tweaking than a paint job? Forget about it.

Immersive driving experience. This is obviously where Evolution poured their considerable expertise into crafting something special. Getting behind the wheel feels just right. It's exhilarating even in the MINI you start out with, which is exactly as it ought to be. Flooring the little car downhill in limited visibility thanks to the clouds of dust kicked up by the cars in front of you on dirt roads in India is nerve-wracking fun, and the level of audio immersion with my basic 5.1 setup is impressive. Tire sounds against the varied environment are perfect, engine sounds are exactly what I'd expect from the class of car I'm driving, and the dreaded scrapes and bumps against other cars are properly cringe-inducing. I can't wait to try out the cars I've just unlocked and work my way toward something truly exotic.

Online interactions. The servers weren't up by the time I went to bed last night, though it sounds like they were up for a while shortly thereafter. They aren't up again this morning, so I can't comment meaningfully just yet.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Wow the review thread is crazy and only focusing on the Gamespot 5/10.

The metacritic is right now at a solid 74 and that is with the best feature still to come, the dynamic weather system.

Is this the new Destiny defense? Just WAIT... there's MORE. Don't review Day 1 code.. because you know.. day 15 or day 30 or day 45 or day 90 promises more.

Toki767

I really love Giant Bomb, probably my favorite video game site, but I just don't get how out of the loop some video game sites are about this game. Jeff brought up how there were no weather effects and wasn't sure if weather effects were coming. A quick search prior to recording would show that yes, weather effects are coming (most likely before Christmas). This isn't a criticism of GB, but of many of the video game review outlets (and not just regarding Driveclub). Evolution for the past few months has been quite open about the game and upcoming features and if sites would look at all the info that has been revealed, things may be clearer for them. Maybe it would've benefited Evolution to send all this information via e-mail or press packets to the various outlets.

As much as I love Giant Bomb, they honestly sound like they're in their own little world a lot of times when it comes to things like games or issues people have with things that go on in the industry. More power to them for only really covering things they want to cover though.

darkwing

I played two tour events last night, and the 2-stage hot hatch cup this morning. That was enough to bump me to driver level 3 and unlock two additional cars. Extremely quick impressions:

Bare-bones game structure. You're dropped into a race immediately on launching the game for the first time with no introduction, voiceover, or setup of any kind. It's a little disconcerting but it gets across an important point: DriveClub is about racing, period. There really isn't much to do but dive headlong into one event after another. If you like the challenge that represents I suspect there's a lot of fun to be had here, but if you're looking for a story? Some motivation to drive? More tweaking than a paint job? Forget about it.

Immersive driving experience. This is obviously where Evolution poured their considerable expertise into crafting something special. Getting behind the wheel feels just right. It's exhilarating even in the MINI you start out with, which is exactly as it ought to be. Flooring the little car downhill in limited visibility thanks to the clouds of dust kicked up by the cars in front of you on dirt roads in India is nerve-wracking fun, and the level of audio immersion with my basic 5.1 setup is impressive. Tire sounds against the varied environment are perfect, engine sounds are exactly what I'd expect from the class of car I'm driving, and the dreaded scrapes and bumps against other cars are properly cringe-inducing. I can't wait to try out the cars I've just unlocked and work my way toward something truly exotic.

Online interactions. The servers weren't up by the time I went to bed last night, though it sounds like they were up for a while shortly thereafter. They aren't up again this morning, so I can't comment meaningfully just yet.

nailed it, I love it though, no lengthy choices at the start, it just gets down to racing

Nafai1123

Banned
Got to play for about an hour before work this morning.

-Damn this game is gorgeous
-Car handling is very PGR to me. Loving it
-Put up the fucking servers so I can join #GAFCLUB and start contributing points

This is honestly the first game where the environments genuinely begin to look like real places I have been to at the micro to macro scale. I am a landscape junkie and have been to all the places represented in this game, or close to at least, and these genuinely begin to look like the places I have visited. Not just an approximation which I feel that other racers have done up until now, beyond imitating real world tracks.

Lettuce

Well i dont mean a bad game, just not a great game like the hype was suggesting?, the best review has been GT with 8.6 majority of the rest seem to be 6's and 7's.

I was going to get a PS4 for this but its doesnt look anything special and average as racing games go. I mean i couldn't stand any of the GT games after 4 as they all became bland with boring AI and for all account this seems to be in the same framework

Damn this year is a right shitter for hyped game what with, WatchDogs, Destiny and now this

Fee

Just got back from gamestop and had a funny exchange...

"a copy of driveclub please"
"for what system?"
I internally laughed and answered "the only system it's on", which forced the guy to look it up in the computer. He told me "oh sorry I didn't even know that was out today"

Overall a quality gamestop customer experience.

jayu26

"for what system?"
I internally laughed and answered "the only system it's on", which forced the guy to look it up in the computer. He told me "oh sorry I didn't even know that was out today"

lol, nice.

baconcow

Well i dont mean a bad game, just not a great game like the hype was suggesting?, the best review has been GT with 8.6 majority of the rest seem to be 6's and 7's.

I was going to get a PS4 for this but its doesnt look anything special and average as racing games go. I mean i couldn't stand any of the GT games after 4 as they all became bland with boring AI and for all account this seems to be in the same framework

Uh, 95%, 91%, and 90%.

"for what system?"

That's indicative of most of my visits there. Occasionally knowledgeable person, 80% of the time not a clue about anything to do with games.

Stopped going there a while ago.

I woudl I want a story in a racer?

This is old school son.

I don't need story but I'd like some personality. This game seems to have none.

Forza Horizon (the first one, which I loved, haven't played the second) displayed its personality by having a voiceover, DJs on the radio station, hell different radio stations. Different kinds of music that make the game feel alive.

I don't mind the kind of music this game has, but it certainly doesn't make much of an impact. It's just background noise. Like I said earlier, this game feels sterile.

As someone who played GT3, GT4, GT5, and GT6, and loved them, I can tell you that Driveclub is far less "bland" than any GT title.

This is a little off-topic, but I was thinking about how beneficial it could be for Driveclub by having the free PS+ edition, figuring that a lot of people who were not planning to buy it or were wary of the reviews would be able to judge it for themselves. But then a thought occurred to me. I wonder how many PS+ users on PS4/PS3/Vita have any clue at all that they can get games for free every month (I would imagine these people exist). For these people (if there are any), I think Sony should create a tab on the PS4 menu that shows the free games for that month and within that tab, the ability to redeem all the games at once with just one touch of a button.

Loudninja

I don't need story but I'd like some personality. This game seems to have none.

Forza Horizon (the first one, which I loved, haven't played the second) displayed its personality by having a voiceover, DJs on the radio station, hell different radio stations. Different kinds of music that make the game feel alive.

I don't mind the kind of music this game has, but it certainly doesn't make much of an impact. It's just background noise. Like I said earlier, this game feels sterile.
No the game does not need to have none of that sorry.

A voiceover to me is more annoying and distracts me more than add personality.

As much as I love Giant Bomb, they honestly sound like they're in their own little world a lot of times when it comes to things like games or issues people have with things that go on in the industry. More power to them for only really covering things they want to cover though.

Yeah, and when they cover things that they're really into, it's such a blast. That's were some of the best stuff comes from. Also, the crazy stuff Vinny finds (like Velvet Sundown and that vocal recognition robot game).

Fee

That's indicative of most of my visits there. Occasionally knowledgeable person, 80% of the time not a clue about anything to do with games.

Stopped going there a while ago.

I live less than a mile from a gamestop so it's just super convenient for me. I am way to impatient on games I buy their release day for a delivery from amazon to show up.

patchday

Got to play for about an hour before work this morning.

-Damn this game is gorgeous
-Car handling is very PGR to me. Loving it
-Put up the fucking servers so I can join #GAFCLUB and start contributing points

+1, All of this for me too to the letter. Only got to play a little this morning

ruxtpin

Banned

"for what system?"

dammit. My grandmother told me DriveClub was on the Xbox One. That saucy wench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom