• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the tracks are astounding.

I think people are avoiding Scotland because it's Scotland but it's amazing.
One of the Scotland tracks I watched stream on Twitch last night looked super high-speed. I was basically a lap around a lake. Looking forward to some pedal to the metal races with people who have memorized the track. Clean high speed burns across the country side are always fun.

Guys,

I woke up on the stupid side of the bed today. How the hell do you download the PSN version?!

edit: Guys and Gals

Ignore this post. I am running on 2 hours of sleep and thought it would be released same time as the full game.

Usually I'm a cockpit view kind of guy, but that 3rd person view is so good because the cars just look so nice and detailed. Love the tail lights at night.

The problem is that Evolution is known for making very good, very fun arcade racers LIKE Motorstorm.

You can't do a straight arcade racer like this and not have a "hook" like the pokecar games do (GT, Forza), or incorporate lots of various activities (Horizon), or make them arcadey and over the top ridiculous (Burnout, NFS).

And that's the problem, and what I meant by Evolution needing to stick to their wheelhouse for the next game. They clearly don't have the game design talent to compete with the GTs and the Forzas, so either go with the absurd like Motorstorm or give us much more "game" to get our teeth around.

Only problem with your view is "How many Forza games and GT games have been made already and how many DC games have been made?" People need to realize this is a new IP. Hopefully it sells well enough for them to either work on another Motorstorm or DC 2 or both. I have a feeling we will get another Motorstorm while GT will be the next 1st party racing game.

Agreed. Been playing a lot of FH2 the past week and the scenery is beautiful even if it doesn't feel as "next gen". Driveclub is also gorgeous.

whynotboth.gif

This is what I'm preaching. MK8, Driveclub, FH2. My racing dream trio. I don't think its possible for me to handle much more.

Gamespot seems to be missing that DC is meant to be an evolving experience with lots of player input and huge updates incoming (weather, photo mode, lots of new cars, new tracks and events, one new location...)

to summarize: i don´t give a
shit
what gamespot writes

Man, the A.I after reaching 100+ stars in Tour mode...

1209.gif

Codiox

So let me get this straight: I preordered the game in mid 2013 at Amazon.de and it's still NOT shipped from there. Release is tomorrow?

Wtf??

KalBalboa

Banned
Metacritic right now:

90+ 3 reviews.
80-89 15 reviews.
70-79 13 reviews.
-70 7 reviews.

How is that "majority of the rest seem to be 6's and 7's"? When looking at the scores I would say the majority are 7's and 8's.

And you'd be right. Lettuce seems to be trying to pin a false narrative in this thread.

Gamespot seems to be missing that DC is meant to be an evolving experience with lots of player input and huge updates incoming (weather, photo mode, lots of new cars, new tracks and events, one new location...)

to summarize: i don´t give a
shit
what gamespot writes

Yeah eaxactly.

ThatZedWord

Neo Member
So I played a bit this morning before work. Severs were up and down initially and finally seemed to stay connected for my last 30 minutes. A few things:

The game is about racing, period. The first thing that happens when you load up the game is that you're thrown into a race. No explanation, no tutorial lap, no licensing. I was very happy about this, though I could see this not being other's cup of tea. Personally, I'm absolutely sick of story shoehorned into my racing games, and The Crew beta I had the chance to play the week prior is the very antithesis of Driveclub. For me, that's a good thing. For you, it may not be.

The game is by no means a sim, but it also plays nothing like NFS Rivals or The Crew. I find the physics to be a really excellent, happy middle ground, much like PGR was. You can get a sense for weight transfer, tire grip, when you're approaching under or over steer, or when you've been too aggressive on the breaks and lose maneuverability. The essentials are there to keep people who know how to drive aggressively and how to shave time off corners happy and make them more effective, while also not being unapproachable to the novice. This is my favorite part of the game. Drifting seems to be much harder than other mechanics, but I started to get a bit of a feel for it before I had to stop, finally getting my M235i all the way through a corner sideways without going in the dirt.

The visuals are very, very good, but are not the second coming of christ. Driveclub looks great. The lighting engine is absolutely amazing, and people used to baked lighting will most likely find the dynamic world lighting 'odd', but really, it's so incredibly accurate that I think it takes some adjusting to. I've heard people describe it as flat, but I would suggest cranking up the time compression on a track and suddenly you'll gain a new appreciation for just how different things will look depending on where the sun is in the sky. The locations are fantastic, and my hat is off to the art director and team; these are very engaging locations to be driving fast cars around. The cars looks wonderful, and the interiors are very nice to play from. However, the IQ isn't cranked up to 11. It's by no means bad, and in motion most of the imperfections fade away, but you can tell there were certain things that were pulled back so that resources could be devoted elsewhere. I am fine with this decision.

While I didn't get to experience much of the online component, I get the feeling this is what will give it more legs for me. I'm going to guess I'll blow through the single player content fairly quickly. In my two hours of play, I just nearly earned enough stars to make it to the Rookie level tour. Progression is fast, at least initially, and the single player tours never take too long, letting you complete a goal or two when you have a moment and not necessarily demanding large swaths of time. When I did get to try the online elements, I found them very enjoyable. All the mini challenges that pop up while you're racing are extremely dynamic and much less obtrusive than what I played in The Crew. This is the part of the game I'm looking forward to exploring more of when I get home from work, as I'm sure there will be quite a few challenges issued by DRIVECLUB-GAF for me to tackle.

I also briefly dove into the Club making side of things. Choices for logos and car designs are limited at first but there seems to be quite a lot of content to unlock. Aside from your club livery, you can have 3 or 4 personal custom designs you can set up for you cars. Beyond that, there's no customization. No body work, no tuning. Again, this is right up my alley, but if you're someone who really enjoys a lot of customization and tuning, it isn't here.

So far on my limited first impression, I find Driveclub to be an extremely enjoyable, straightforward simcade racer, devoid of all the recent story and mission driving elements that seem to be the focus these days. Driving cars fast and well is the singular focus here, with tools to challenge both you and your friends to improve. Customization is limited to paint and livery cosmetics, and all cars are kept stock. The locations are varied and beautiful, and the full world dynamic lighting can make the same track feel completely different depending on the time of day. There's a lot to do and enjoy here if all you want to do is race and drive against yourself and others, but nothing else if you're looking for more. Frankly, I'm glad there's at least one option where everything is about the driving, full stop.

oh ok.

I'm surprised at the lack of screens in the console screenshot thread since so many own the game already.

The game doesn't really screenshot well, I've found myself in several stunning scenarios but tried taking a pic and it just didn't look great.

Will wait for photo mode I think

Stupid question: never really played racing games before but I'm really enjoying this. How do I drift well?

You have to get a feel for how each car handles, but the best I can say is tap the brake as you begin to turn, the drift will start and you have to throttle the gas while holding the wheel at the right rotation to maintain it. It takes practice

Fee

Metacritic right now:

90+ 3 reviews.
80-89 15 reviews.
70-79 13 reviews.
-70 7 reviews.

How is that "majority of the rest seem to be 6's and 7's"? When looking at the scores I would say the majority are 7's and 8's.

How does metacritic account for gaming sites that use 5 stars instead of a percentage score? Because Giant Bomb often gives a average game 3 stars instead of a 7 which seems like it would screw with what metacritc presents.

Jamesways

Alright, been playing all morning.

This has really exceeded my expectations. This and pCARS are the reason I got a ps4. And oh maan, it does NOT disappoint.

I play a lot of racing games. For me, personally, this is the type of simcade game I've been waiting for.

It's about the racing, there's no fluff. No story, no nonsense, just super quick load times, and on the track. It's a game for racing fans who just want to race on beautiful circuits and tracks. Simple as that. I don't get the soulless no romance crap, the racing is so good.

I knew the graphics would be good, but I never expected the handling to be this solid. It feels like PGR. To me, it's a new PGR without the cities. It's so damn tight and polished. The handling is great, an excellent mix of sim and arcade. Just super fun. And the AI is no joke. They sure do challenge you.

And the lighting, it's amazing. Cockpit view, no OSD, it's so incredibly immersive. The environments feel so alive. There's so many little details, it's the things that devs don't have to put in a game, but when they do it adds so much.

I tell you what, I'm a fan of Forza games, but Turn 10, no more prebaked lighting. It has to be dynamic from now on. It makes such a huge difference.

I don't pay any attention to reviews, especially for racing games. I couldn't be happier with this right now.
I can't stop playing this. It's great, one I will definitely keep playing for a long time. The steady stream of cars, tracks, and weather are really going to make this even better.

Evolution, you've done a hell of job. You should be proud of this game.

One last thing, Rushy, if you're reading this, a request for you.
It was brought up earlier, but can you guys patch the control scheme for analog stick throttle/brake users?

My racing buddy is making a huge mistake passing on this since that's not in right now.

Phew.

The hot-hatches aren't to my taste atm, and the first track was boring, but it really picked up from the second track onwards.

Liked what I played.

And I've got to say, the Plus version does a damn good visual job of tempting you to upgrade to the full version. You can't escape the sight of cars and tours you can't get... without upgrading lol.

airjoca

Alright someone in UKGAF, please turn the servers back on. Don't need to be jealous, you'll get your fix Friday. Let the rest of the world have their fun please. Thank you!

I've just had another hour on this (and about to go back on!) and I hope Rushy and Evo take heart that there's a lot of love for this game outside of the media reviews, and especially in this thread.

Honestly, it feels like a love letter to Sega Rally Evo, Metropolis Street Racer/PGR and Top Gear Rally; and this is just the start, weather is going to make it feel like Motorstorm at its best, organising club racing with friends MOAR TRACKS. Brilliant stuff.

Edit: I got a little dazzle-reflection from the rear view mirror of the car in front, and a little ding of sunlight off another car's side panel on the Chile track - lovely stuff.

Late Flag

Metacritic right now:

90+ 3 reviews.
80-89 15 reviews.
70-79 13 reviews.
-70 7 reviews.

Honestly, this is pretty much what I expected -- lots of 7s and 8s with a handful of outliers. As much as I've been looking forward to Driveclub, it always struck me as the sort of game that would score lower with reviewers than it would with me.

Edit: I step away from GAF for a couple of hours to go for a run, and I come back to "You should probably eat a dick." LMAO. I see I missed a shitstorm.

goonergaz

How does metacritic account for gaming sites that use 5 stars instead of a percentage score? Because Giant Bomb often gives a average game 3 stars instead of a 7 which seems like it would screw with what metacritc presents.

3/5 = 60%

KalBalboa

Banned
I wonder if we're just finally entering an age where enough reviewers take their job seriously enough that we're not getting the age-old hive mind/hyperbolic approach any more.

So many games this gen are getting wider and wider spreads of review scores. It's kind of nice!

Jamesways

I've just had another hour on this (and about to go back on!) and I hope Rushy and Evo take heart that there's a lot of love for this game outside of the media reviews, and especially in this thread.

Honestly, it feels like a love letter to Sega Rally Evo, Metropolis Street Racer/PGR and Top Gear Rally; and this is just the start, weather is going to make it feel like Motorstorm at its best, organising club racing with friends MOAR TRACKS. Brilliant stuff.

I couldn't agree more. I was actually going to say that in my post, it's a love letter to racing fans who just love racing.

It's so flippin' good!

Nafai1123

Banned
I wonder if we're just finally entering an age where enough reviewers take their job seriously enough that we're not getting the age-old hive mind/hyperbolic approach any more.

So many games this gen are getting wider and wider spreads of review scores. It's kind of nice!

I agree, but at the same time it makes Metacritic even more irrelevant than it was before.

The game doesn't really screenshot well, I've found myself in several stunning scenarios but tried taking a pic and it just didn't look great.

Will wait for photo mode I think

Very disappointing in this :( just love seeing stunning pics of a beautiful game. gifs are nice, but you can make any game look better then it really is in gifs.

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

will have to wait for GT7 i guess.

I agree, actually. It only sucks because people tend to focus on the negatives more than the positive, but I find it fascinating when games are split.

I actually really enjoyed Beyond: Two Souls, but man it was interesting reading how people had totally different reactions to it.

My tastes have rarely matched up with the reviewers favourites (CoD, Ass Creed, Fifa) so it doesn't really bother me, but it's nice to see the 1-10 scale being used properly, but I could still do without any of them apart from Edge reviews.

If this is the way it's going to be, I guess Metacritic needs to do a hard reset and start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom