• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynnebeck

Banned
The industry is not broken just because you don't agree with the opinions of some reviewers.

This happens every single time a hyped up game gets low review scores. People who are insecure in their opinions try to discredit views that differ from their own in order to protect their predetermined viewpoint. I understand why people do this, as it's frustrating to read negative opinions on something you've been looking forward to, but it's still childish and silly.

Considering someof the actual complaints being brought up, I won't call the industry broken, but gaming journalism needs to step their game up tremendously.

Untracked

Hell yes.
I'll never forget when I took a trip to London while I was living in Germany and first heard Wide Angle in the Tower Records in Picadilly Circus. I immediately bought the Wider Angle double CD and a vinyl of Datura's Mystic Motion single which has one of my favorite Hybrid remixes on it.

I've never heard that one before, thanks for sharing! Wide Angle is still amazing.
Here's my current fave :)

So yeah, Driveclub... I might buy it, will try the PS Plus version first.
Either way I'm glad this game happened, cos I got some superb music out of it :p
Thanks Sony!

Whaaat? You can customize your in-game character? I barely see him anyways but I might as well.

Servers pls... I must do some challenges.

Atedos

So true and I've not looked to game "journalist" reviews for years, and when I did I mainly looked to the replay factor (PSM) since back then I didn't want to waste money on a game that I wouldn't play that much.

It is surprising they seem so ignorant on so much stuff when they are paid to know about games and be a journalist that deals only in the game industry. What do they do when they aren't reviewing the particular games on the clock? I'm not talking about this one thing but the way the journalists seem to be consistently, if it's not knowing how to play games, which can effect their scores, it's not knowing much about things when the information is readily available. I watched Giant Bomb play Demon's Souls, they said people that would enjoy it are masochists most likely. I rolled my eyes and stopped wasting my time watching them try to understand why it was liked. Didn't want to torture myself. Watching game some game journalists try to play a game is usually nails on chalkboard bad, and you wonder why game devs make games easier.
This.
I guess each person reaches his breaking point after his favorite game receives "average" reviews.
Mine was Asura's Wrath. I don't even care for press or user scores anymore.
And yeah, Demon's Souls is a great game, as is Deadly Premonition and Nier. These are all my top favorites, and if some journalist or any other guy doesn't like those games - it's just their personal opinion. I for instance don't like COD or Mario, and it is too my personal opinion. The problem starts when it becomes sort of autocracy, when such opinion makes justice to others without having their own.

was it ever announced that PS Plus version will be available on release day?

Good god don't do this to me, man. First they let everyone assume incorrectly that they were getting a full game. If now it turns out we assumed incorrectly that we were getting it on release day, it's going to be incredibly disappointing.

DRIVECLUB PS+ Edition, which can be downloaded now from PlayStation Store.

Where now?

I have two question !

1-Anyone know when the iOS app will be available ?

2- I want to play with one of my friend tonight (he going with the ps+ edition) as i have already the full version, do you know when the ps+ edition will be available ?

The industry is not broken just because you don't agree with the opinions of some reviewers.

This happens every single time a hyped up game gets low review scores. People who are insecure in their opinions try to discredit views that differ from their own in order to protect their predetermined viewpoint. I understand why people do this, as it's frustrating to read negative opinions on something you've been looking forward to, but it's still childish and silly.
You're not getting the thrust of my argument. I'm saying a lot of game reviewers are coming from a place of ignorance or indifference about the product they are reviewing. I personally find that problematic. It's like giving someone who hates jrpg's the latest Shin Megami title to review. Or some other genre of game they could give two shits about. The process is tainted from the start.

fernoca

Considering someof the actual complaints being brought up, I won't call the industry broken, but gaming journalism needs to step their game up tremendously.
Yep. When some of the negatives are around information that it's out there (Plus version, weather/update, how clubs work) it makes some wonder if they're doing their jobs right. We've had reviews been pulled across from spreading false information to completely missing the point of the game (like IGN's Football Manager).

Of course there are people that will complain if any game they're looking forward gets low scores, but that's a separate matter across many sides of gamers, reviewers and fanboys of something specific.

Jo-El

was it ever announced that PS Plus version will be available on release day?

2BUCjsI.png

Should be up today.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/05/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-1072014/

23qwerty

Good god don't do this to me, man. First they let everyone assume incorrectly that they were getting a full game. If now it turns out we assumed incorrectly that we were getting it on release day, it's going to be incredibly disappointing.

It was never said that PS+ would be getting the full game. From day 1 it was called a PS+ Edition.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I don't read reviews anymore. They're written by people who are paid to give their opinions, and that's something that's easily corruptible. And even worse, if they're not swayed by money, that can lead to indifference.

I mean how many more videos do I have to watch of these people who are reviewing the game, yet cannot even say with any confidence what the PS Plus Edition is, or what content it has? And then brush off their ignorance by saying it's Sony's fault because they didn't deliver a clear message about that stuff. When the information is clearly out there - they just don't give a fuck to know or do any research at all. These are not the people whose opinion I value. But unfortunately, these idiots are shaping what games get greenlit because of Metacritic and other such nonsense.

Seriously man. Fuck this industry. It's broken.
What? I wouldnt put the blame on reviewers for what terrible games get greenlit, that's completely down to the risk-averse, reactionary publishers. And if you see people being paid to write articles and reviews as a conflict of interest, then I just don't know what to tell you.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Where's the app? I cant find it in the play store.

And anyone know if PSN preorders got the three cars? Is all that dependent on connection to the servers?

It's fine to like driveclub. I understand it's the only real Sony exclusive thus year and it's had a major weight to bare. Carrying all that. Destiny was a let down etc. I think if you like it then that's what matters. It seems like plenty of reviewers really liked it too. The real test is to see if anyone's playing it I'm a month and what opinions are after some time.

What are you honestly trying to say here? I really don't understand, given the swings in tone (no PS4 exclusives, DC bereft of content, etc).

Anyway, to enjoy a game I don't think people need to hear your reassurances that it's ok. Tons of people are currently enjoying Destiny, and I'm sure tons of people will also be enjoying DriveClub.

The industry of game reviews has been broken a long time because it's infested with reviewers and publishers indifferent, biased, incompetent and bribed. It has nothing to do with hype or scores; many reviewers and publications simply don't give a shit about doing honest quality work. Accordingly I've never given a shit about them.

theWB27

Friend GAFers can't see to find the free edition on the PSN store? Any ideas?

No one can....the store has been updated, but of course the game allot were looking forward to is nowhere to be seen. You can't even find the PS+ edition for 49 bucks. Only the full priced version....Sony should be called out for removing it as soon as release hit.

What? I wouldnt put the blame on reviewers for what terrible games get greenlit, that's completely down to the risk-averse, reactionary publishers. And if you see people being paid to write articles and reviews as a conflict of interest, then I just don't know what to tell you.
I'm saying they have too large a role in what games are greenlit. Because Metacritic is too influential. And yes, its a conflict of interest if advertising dollars influence how much focus or attention a game receives. Its an inherently flawed system.

And by the way, the only reason why some of these review scores bother me is because publishers are going to look at the metacritic average and determine that people don't want traditional racing games. And as a result even fewer will be made. And there aren't a hell of a lot of them being made now. So as a fan of the genre, in fact its my absolute favorite kind of game, yes - it bothers me that I'll potentially be deprived of them.

viveks86

Guys, I'm realizing that we are turning the OT into a meta-review thread. Let's stop talking about reviewers and the state of the industry please? It's a never ending topic and is thread derailing. I regret the comments I made on it as well

M.W.

Guys, I'm realizing that we are turning the OT into a meta-review thread. Let's stop talking about reviewers and the state of the industry please? It's a never ending topic and is thread derailing. I regret the comments I made on it as well
Agreed. DC is godly, let's discuss that.

Fair enough. Let's get this thread back on course.

(Get it?)

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Little disappointed by the reviews but it seems Gaf is really enjoying it.
Can't wait to try out the PS+ version

Why should this even matter?

Honestly what a piss off that review thread is. Everyone is using scores as cannon fodder for console wars bullshit and this game's merits are being overlooked.

I fucking hate the gaming community sometimes.

I agree, let's try to keep the discussion to the game itself! Not saying criticism isn't welcome at all, just that there are other threads to discuss reviews of this game and the state of the industry, so we should try to keep things here on topic.

On another note, still waiting for the ps+ version to go up so the full game price drops back to $49.99.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Viveks... Let's race, please. ;-;

I'm soured by all this bullshit too.

viveks86

Why should this even matter?

Honestly what a piss off that review thread is. Everyone is using scores as cannon fodder for console wars bullshit and this game's merits are being overlooked.

I fucking hate the gaming community sometimes.

No frustration here, only racing now :)

Agreed! So the EU unlock really is 00:01 CET? Mine is saying 01:00...should I be scared? :(

fernoca

Yep. Talk about reviews to the review thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom