• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yep, that's totally true. I was thinking about that just now while I was doing another race. They very well might not even have a concept of those sort of assists. I hope they do though. It definitely feels like there's some sort of actual stability control being implemented, so hopefully they just need to hook up toggles for that stuff, and with them off it actually controls realistically.

I do kind of wish they would add a racing line. I'm having a hard time judging braking distances with the arcade-like nature of the game.

That comes with practice and learning the road, rather like a real racing driver would have to do it.

hawk2025

First time I've felt so, so off from the critic "consensus" -- and yet I still completely understand it.

I can see someone simply not buying into what the game does well and giving it a 5. For me, this is hitting all the right notes. The gameplay is blissful, the sense of speed is unmatched, the spot in the spectrum between sim and arcade that it falls on is superb. And all with little loading, so I can just stay in the game and keep playing different events.

Can't wait until the online stuff is actually up. This is promising, promising stuff.

I don't read reviews anymore. They're written by people who are paid to give their opinions, and that's something that's easily corruptible. And even worse, if they're not swayed by money, that can lead to indifference.

I mean how many more videos do I have to watch of these people who are reviewing the game, yet cannot even say with any confidence what the PS Plus Edition is, or what content it has? And then brush off their ignorance by saying it's Sony's fault because they didn't deliver a clear message about that stuff. When the information is clearly out there - they just don't give a fuck to know or do any research at all. These are not the people whose opinion I value. But unfortunately, these idiots are shaping what games get greenlit because of Metacritic and other such nonsense.

Seriously man. Fuck this industry. It's broken.

Well said. Not to mention podcasts, let's plays,... make it all too easy for them to just react and have an opinion, rather than actually ponder statements. This casual indifference or cynicism can be entertaining, and I do love a lot of podcasts for their atmosphere/banter.. but far too often do I get annoyed listening to someone dismiss a game entirely on its premise, what they perceive it to be, or for what it isn't.

The core reason why I believe it is broken is simply because a lot of these games take time to get into or enjoy, time these reviewers do not have due to short review deadlines or distractions. If game designers took the reviewers' zeitgeist to heart we wouldn't have games like Demon's Souls, Monster Hunter, or Spelunky. Since these types of games do not fit into the type of gaming behavior they are almost professionally forced into.

I don't care if you wanted DriveClub to have a rewind feature or an open world setting, why don't you tell me about what the game attempts to do, and if it achieves that goal?

Korezo

Some tracks are so blurry that I can't even tell if I have to turn right or left without the mip map, I tried all camera angles, right now the best view for me is the 3rd person which i never use in racing games. I still love this game though, I rather get the crap like FXAA filter off in exchange for better clarity and more aliasing.

HTupolev

Just a friendly jabbing. Although you should drop it down to 0. No TV should ever intentionally introduce blurriness to an image. Anything above 0 is artificial and not the way the source image was intended to look.
A lot of TVs are at equilibrium when sharpness is at 50. Depends on the TV.

My TV blurs as you go below 50. It has a ridiculous 2-sample vertical blur filter that actually causes obvious double images if you crank it all the way down to 0 due to sample separation.

Seventy70

First time I've felt so, so off from the critic "consensus" -- and yet I still completely understand it.

I can see someone simply not buying into what the game does well and giving it a 5. For me, this is hitting all the right notes. The gameplay is blissful, the sense of speed is unmatched, the spot in the spectrum between sim and arcade that it falls on is superb. And all with little loading, so I can just stay in the game and keep playing different events.

Can't wait until the online stuff is actually up. This is promising, promising stuff.

See. This is the proper way to express your opinion. Agree to disagree instead of throwing a fit and being hostile.

Why not learn the track and get better? I did this in NFS HP 2010. When it went wrong i started again and again. I am more then glad there is no rewind stuff in it.

So if the AI spins you out you should just get better? It's completely random sometimes. I mean you don't have to use it. Hell, give a rep bonus to those who don't and have their times count higher on the leaderboard like in Forza. It's crazy to argue against more options like its a good thing.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I think that the weather will do a big thing for this game visuals. Its pratically a sin that it is not avaiable day one! I believe it wil look amazing with that snow and rain.

i agree.

the visuals are definitely better when the light is "doing more things", like a night or with overcast/stormy settings. the daytime setting doesn't impress me as much as I thought it would graphically, which is kind of a bummer.

So what happened to the PS+ edition exactly?

Grace Chen'd

50900-Ellen-Page-shrug-gif-Tb30.gif

That comes with practice and learning the road, rather like a real racing driver would have to do it.

I was just thinking about this after beating Forza Horizon 2 it got boring because of this as learning the track and trying to perfect the corners is part of the experience. I never had it for older racing games and did just fine, just makes you lazy but can be handy if you really are having trouble finding the right line.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Some tracks are so blurry that I can't even tell if I have to turn right or left without the mip map, I tried all camera angles, right now the best view for me is the 3rd person which i never use in racing games. I still love this game though, I rather get the crap like FXAA filter off in exchange for better clarity and more aliasing.

I'm hearing some new ones today. I'll have to check Youtube again to see i I can find one of these 'blurry' tracks.

Hoje0308

Banned
It would be really cool if Sony could get these servers back up so I can actually contribute to my club while making my way through the tour. Soony can go fist themselves.

Hoje0308

Banned

This is total bullshit. Screenshot or get the fuck out.

NHale

Started playing the first 5 events. And so far it feels great. The gameplay, the core of any racing game is definitely there. Last year the footage released from E3 was like this was SHIFT where the car reacted abruptly to every movement of the wheel. But it actually feels like the car is connected and you feel when you are about to lose grip. Unless this turns for the worse with more powerful cars like SHIFT, I'm digging it.

Also really like their approach to not having racing lines, rewinds or any of those crutches. The flags help but they don't tell the whole story. It's more like rally instructions. If it's green it doesn't mean I can go full throttle through the corner because if I'm 200kph I might have to lift to turn in, if I'm 80kph then I'm good. You are forced to think every situation and make a decision: should I brake, lift or go full throttle. It never feels like I'm playing a Guitar Hero game: Press L2 when red. Press R2 when green. Don't press anything when yellow. Not being able to have racing line forces me to have self control and return to the true roots of racing games. Grand Prix 2 never had racing line and I mastered every track by pure trial and error, so this will be a piece of cake.

Unfortunately Sony really dropped the ball with the servers. Playing it with the servers offline makes it feel like I'm playing an uncomplete game. I must have to stop playing it just because of that even when I just want to keep playing it.

Also regarding the dreaded aliasing. Clearly noticeable on the first event in India, less noticeable in Canada, Scotland or Chile (those I played so far).

Amir0x

Banned
When I think of "aggressive" AI in racing games, I think of AIs that try to block you from passing, or AIs try risky passing maneuvers on turns. AIs that try to smash you off the road would not fall into that category. The AI in this game seem to be programmed to drive like they're in a Mad Max game, and to me that is completely at odds with a fun racing experience (unless it's a pure arcade game like Mario Kart or Wipeout).

I mean, the things I look for in A.I. is pretty simple. Is the A.I. designed in such a way that when I fail, it feels as if it's my own failing or the failure of a competent A.I.? Does it feel as intelligent as can reasonably be expected to be considering it is not an actual person? Does it feel too easy, as in it feels no matter how tough you play the game at they seem more like window dressing than actual competition?

For me, DriveClub hits the right notes. I can never relax during a race because any significant fuck up means I'm likely to not get first, as it should be. The cars are actively trying to get in my way, and utilizing my skill I am already accomplished enough to be equally competitive and push my way through as well. It feels like a tug-of-war rather than just like them being assholes, and I'm savoring every second.

For me, it's perfectly categorized into the type of things I enjoy. I love visuals; this is easily one of the best looking games of all time, and the best looking racing game full stop. I love tough games, and this game is right where I want it to be - quite tough if you're off your game or not applying your acquired skills, but gets progressively easier as you learn to apply yourself to the particular needs of the games races. It never feels cheap for me. Mechanically, I'd actually begin to seriously question a reviewer who had problems with it - cars feel fantastic, right where they should be for a simcade and it feels fucking pro as shit when you enter a zen zone and find yourself making few mistakes. The game has very direct ground rules and mechanics and any competent and skilled gamer in the racing genre is going to find themselves right at home with a little practice. At two hours in, I already feel as if I have a good grasp of how to go about things.

Now there's plenty that could change of course. I haven't come close to utilizing all the cars or racing on every track. I have barely been able to touch a single social feature in the game, which seems to be a pivotal aspect of the games appeal.

But as a racing game?

● Astounding visuals that actually are set to improve for free via DLC (full weather integration for example).
● Phenomenal Racing mechanics, to me the most vital part of any racing game... the beating heart of any racing title. DriveClub is its own entity, but as a simcade game it's hard to imagine where they'd improve. It's probably amongst the best feeling mechanics I've encountered in the relatively limited simcade type racing game.
● A relatively solid list of cars so far (would probably be my biggest complaint if the list is 100% accurate as to what I'll eventually unlock; they need a bit more worldwide variety and they needed to maybe be a bit sillier with some of the selections. I like a weird variety in my racing titles).
● Good, solid track design so far (I'd say a 8/10 out of the things I've played so far based on the say 20% of content I've experienced so far)
● Great soundtrack (although admittedly after an hour or so I just muted the music and played custom music off my PC. But that's just the way I play all racing games, no disrespect to the game which had really awesome adrenaline-pumping racing tracks from what I evaluated).

The problems I see is that a lot of the future potential is coming in free DLC that is not out yet, and that's a legitimate complaint... they had a super long delay and there's really no reason they couldn't have made it. But to me it's a side bar for the core game, which I really am in shock anyone would say is poorly made. I had my doubts after the game was so long delayed. Thought it'd be a beautiful game and a competent-at-best gameplay racer. But I was wrong. This is as solidly built a core racing game as I've played in a long time, outside of Forza Horizon 2 (which is great for completely different reasons).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I was just thinking about this after beating Forza Horizon 2 it got boring because of this as learning the track and trying to perfect the corners is part of the experience. I never had it for older racing games and did just fine, just makes you lazy but can be handy if you really are having trouble finding the right line.

Yes, it gives you an extra layer of satisfaction and even pride, because you've 'mastered' something and 'conquered' the race track. Then when you take that into an online race, you feel even more satisfaction knowing that the guy who beat you easily last time is about to get DESTROYED! That's how it works and that's why open worlds, cutting corners and rewinds robs you completely of any such rewards.

Nokterian

So if the AI spins you out you should just get better? It's completely random sometimes. I mean you don't have to use it. Hell, give a rep bonus to those who don't and have their times count higher on the leaderboard like in Forza. It's crazy to argue against more options like its a good thing.

Never played with a game with rewind and never cared about it. I always learned the tracks. Practice makes perfect. People have become lazy in racing games these days.

TTOOLL

ItsFuckingNothing.gif

Nothing! I'm telling you!! Nothing!

So, a game about nothing?

I watched GB's QL and didn't like it. At some point one of them said there wasn't much difference in graphics comparing to FH2. I mean, really? If there is one aspect of the game that must be highlighted is its graphics. Anyway, buying my ps4 because of this game. Can't wait to play it.

After seeing a lot of comments here about this game, I have a few questions. Before I ask, I'd like to say that I've been playing racing games since the original: Road & Track presents: The Need for Speed. I would say my favorite racing games of all time would be NFS: Hot Pursuit 2, GT4 and the original Motorstorm. Those 3 were just perfect to me.

With that in mind:
1) Is the driving feel the most important aspect of the programming? I say this because a lot of racers (Crusin' USA or Mario Kart for example) don't actually try to replicate the physical behavior of driving a car on the road. In Crusin' USA, the car is stationary and the scenery is dragged toward you to create a sense of motion. The illusion is pretty obvious, and that game isn't really all that fun. In Mario Kart 64, you get the sense that the karts are spheres which can be pushed around like they have low friction. Consequently, the pure racing isn't really the draw their either. Other games, like San Fransisco Rush seem to take the wheelbarrow approach. Basically the car is modeled as being a wheel or set of wheels (think Axel from twisted metal), so there's no under or over steer. Its like playing digital scalextrix. The best model to my memory is GT5 (I don't have 6). That game really, truly feels like its simulating a car driving on asphalt. Basically, I want to feel 4 tires on asphalt. They can go and digitally edit the cars to remove any understeer, body lean ect to make it more fun and easy to play, but they should maintain the feel of momentum, proper cornering, ect.
2) Does the game "keep it simple?" In all of my favorite racers, the racing is usually the main focus. Too many racing games focus on other trash such as weapons, slowing time, etc. Racers should focus on what it's like to control a sports car. This is a pretty intense sensation, its all the draw necessary. If you can itch that ancient part of the brain, you won't need anything else.
3) Do the cars feel different? If I'm in a little hatch, it should be slow and safe. If I'm in a Veyron, I should be scared to death. In a racing game, you're supposed to only have the slow cars to start, so you learn how to drive with the mechanics, then work up to the fast stuff once you know how the game works.
4.) How do the tracks feel? Ideally, the tracks should be all different. Some should be long and fast, with swooping bends. Some should be twisty and technical, with many small bends. Good variety of tracks will help make the game more replayable.

From what I've seen, the game is not quite as nice as GT5 in terms of handling model, but I can't tell from a few youtube films. So if you have the game, please let me know what you think.

Well there's Forza Motorsport for that. Horizon is just a casual take on it.

CLEEK

This is total bullshit. Screenshot or get the fuck out.

I think he's just using the wrong terminology, and doesn't drive in real life.

With the dynamic lighting, you get sections were the sun is low, or its approaching dusk, where its hard to see the road ahead. (You know, just like real life!). This is exacerbated by the various internal views. It can be a pain, and if you don't know the track layout, there are sections when you're effectively going into blind corners

It has nothing to do with 'blurry' or AA or anything else, just accurate modelling of sunlight and how it can have a profound impact on your visibility.

Started playing the first 5 events. And so far it feels great. The gameplay, the core of any racing game is definitely there.

Really like their approach to not having racing lines, rewinds or any of those crutches. The flags help but they don't tell the whole story. It's more like rally instructions. If it's green it doesn't mean I can go full throttle through the corner because if I'm 200kph I might have to lift to turn in, if I'm 80kph then I'm good. You are forced to think every situation and make a decision: should I brake, lift or go full throttle. It never feels like I'm playing a Guitar Hero game: Press L2 when red. Press R2 when green. Don't press anything when yellow. Not being able to have racing line forces me to have self control and return to the true roots of racing games. Grand Prix 2 never had racing line and I mastered every track by pure trial and error, so this will be a piece of cake.

Unfortunately Sony really dropped the ball with the servers. Playing it with the servers offline makes it feel like I'm playing an uncomplete game. I must have to stop playing it just because of that even when I just want to keep playing it.

Also regarding the dreaded aliasing. Clearly noticeable on the first event in India, less noticeable in Canada, Scotland or Chile (those I played so far).

Felt this way too last night. I don't even really want to do much until they are back online, which sucks cause I wanted to play it all night tonight. Will probably just spend a lot of time taking pictures/video, doing some time trials and just exploring all of the tracks. Once servers stabilize I'll jump back into the tour and events

I don't read reviews anymore. They're written by people who are paid to give their opinions, and that's something that's easily corruptible. And even worse, if they're not swayed by money, that can lead to indifference.

I mean how many more videos do I have to watch of these people who are reviewing the game, yet cannot even say with any confidence what the PS Plus Edition is, or what content it has? And then brush off their ignorance by saying it's Sony's fault because they didn't deliver a clear message about that stuff. When the information is clearly out there - they just don't give a fuck to know or do any research at all. These are not the people whose opinion I value. But unfortunately, these idiots are shaping what games get greenlit because of Metacritic and other such nonsense.

Seriously man. Fuck this industry. It's broken.

Yep, 100% with you.

There's a lot of shite that perennially gets high scores. Which in part leads to iterations each year of the same shite. Mainstream reviewers like Eurogamer, Giant Bomb or Gamespot pat themselves on the back whilst waiting for the next installment.

Then there's things out their in their own league like Polygon, who are almost harmfully bad to the industry.

Anyway just enjoy the game and ignore that nonsense.

viveks86

I think he's just using the wrong terminology, and doesn't drive in real life.

With the dynamic lighting, you get sections were the sun is low, or its approaching dusk, where its hard to see the road ahead. (You know, just like real life!). This is exacerbated by the various internal views. It can be a pain, and if you don't know the track layout, there are sections when you're effectively going into blind corners

It has nothing to do with 'blurry' or AA or anything else, just accurate modelling of sunlight and how it can have a profound impact on your visibility.

This. I actually thought that was a positive and was surprised that someone would complain about it. Not many games allow us to experience such unadulterated and unpredictable lighting conditions.

My positives/negatives/thoughts:

+ Nice graphics. Not mind blowing, but I'm satisfied.
+ It just feels so right. It's not a sim, but I don't want a sim.
+ Load times are incredible. Need to restart after you mess up? Not a problem. Boom. Done.
+ Lots of camera choices. Sometimes I like to play in behind the car view, other times large cockpit view.
+ The A.I. so far is challenging me just enough.

- No replays? WTF?
- I can't even pick a different colour for my car. I don't need to "customize" it, just let me pick another colour. Isn't that a feature from 20 years ago? I've been corrected.

(thoughts) The lighting is sometimes so blinding that I can't see a fucking thing. Not ideal at 200+ KPH. But that's (graphics) realism for ya.

(nitpick) Volume is way too low.

If we want to look glass half full, the fact that the servers have been down pretty much since the game released, and the free version isnt even out yet, must mean there's quite a few people buying this game, right?

Happy for Evo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom