• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlenus

OK I have just finished a 3 hour session and here are my initial impressions.

Graphics: Pretty darn good overall, I play from the dashboard cam rather than cockpit or bonnet view and the environments just look stunning and racing with the sun glaring through the screen is awesome as you really h ave to pay attention to avoid messing up. The aliasing is a problem for me though. I noticed it the worst on the Evora from the dashcam view it is really bad all across the bonnet and the screen reflections are quite bad as well. I do play on a 102" projector from about 10 feet away mind so I did expect the aliasing to be worse than some of the hands on impressions but I did not think it would be this bad. Infamous SS in contrast has barely any aliasing.

Gameplay: In a word, awesome. The handling is really good and the cars all have a different feel. They are chuckable but you still need to use correct racing technique to get the best lap times which is rewarding. The AI seems pretty good and is capable of putting up a decent fight but I really cannot wait for the servers to be working properly so I can play online as that is where the real fun will be had.

Overall I am glad I purchased it, it does the basics that I expect a good racer should do and with the weather, replay and photomode patches coming soon they will have the foundation for what could be a really good, competitive, online racer.

Spacebar

Photomode isnt out yet - coming in the near future.

I think that the photomode is still not included. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm not sure if it was patched in already.

It's not out, but this is what it looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_xKcrzH7g8

Thanks! I'll prob hold off until this is released. One of the main reasons I wanted to play this was the photo mode. I really wish all games would include it.

PSN right now like:

bear_climbing_up_a_hunting_ladder-46227.gif

Then the EU Driveclub launch and it's

friday_gifdump_18_07.gif

Actually, I went back and read your replies and you said the game was "ugly as fuck"? The game is lacking in certain areas visually, but it is far from ugly.

I said for all the hype the graphics were getting, I thought they were ugly as fuck.
Meaning I found them ugly relative to all the gushing that was going on about them

Viruz

I've just begun to play the game. That second race while the night comes with the red lights on the right/left sides of the road, playing with "just" a MINI. It is already fast enough.
Then the menu music...

Korezo

Oh, so now they're only softer. You originally said that the tracks were so blurry you had to use the track map to see where you're going. Which is it? I know what would clear this up: a screenshot. Go ahead, provide proof that you have the slightest clue what you're taking about.

Lol, you right. From when I first played the game the 15 hours ago I didn't like the picture quality it looked blurry to me like FXAA, I started looking for other tracks to prove to you and they were all identicle. My eyes must have adjusted after the 10 hours in the game. The game does look wierd though when first played.

viveks86

Are replays being patched in at some point? A strange omission.

Yes

Lol, you right. From when I first played the game the 15 hours ago I didn't like the picture quality it looked blurry to me like FXAA, I started looking for other tracks to prove to you and they were all identicle. My eyes must have adjusted after the 10 hours in the game. The game does look wierd though when first played.

U wot m8? Like… this seriously happened to you? o_O

Is this thread just supposed to be an echo chamber where everybody jizzes all over the graphics?

No, it's the OT for the game though and (almost) everyone has been blown away by the visuals. You don't have to join in the jizzfest but I suggest wearing some protection because a lot of people will be

So for those that have both an Xbone and PS4 like me, and had to choose between this and FH2; which do you think is the better value as of right now?

hawk2025

PIX THE CAT.

We need an OT. This game is fun as hell. Sorry, this is the Driveclub thread. But if you appreciate going fast, give this thing a chance as well while you are waiting for the servers. Game's awesome!

So for those that have both an Xbone and PS4 like me, and had to choose between this and FH2; which do you think is the better value as of right now?

Hard to say as none of Driveclub's online/social features have really been functional to test yet.

I enjoyed my time with Forza Horizon 2 so far, but find the actual racing in Driveclub to be more fun.

It depends if you prefer the offroading/exploration aspects or closed circuit tracks and lap time focus.

CLEEK

Is this thread just supposed to be an echo chamber where everybody jizzes all over the graphics?

Beauty is subjective, sure, but I can't see how anyone could honestly call Driveclub 'ugly as fuck'. They're phenomenal, and with the right lighting, are as close to photorealism as we've ever had on a console.

Either you're exaggerating for effect, in which case you shouldn't mind when people question your statements, or you're trolling.

BashNasty

No, it's the OT for the game though and (almost) everyone has been blown away by the visuals. You don't have to join in the jizzfest but I suggest wearing some protection because a lot of people will be

Yea, I dunno, I'm certainly having some fun with DriveClub, and by no means does it look bad, but the graphics don't blow me away. Some of the time of day stuff can look pretty nice, but my overall impression of the graphics is that they're fine, nothing more, nothing less.

I mean, the things I look for in A.I. is pretty simple. Is the A.I. designed in such a way that when I fail, it feels as if it's my own failing or the failure of a competent A.I.? Does it feel as intelligent as can reasonably be expected to be considering it is not an actual person? Does it feel too easy, as in it feels no matter how tough you play the game at they seem more like window dressing than actual competition?

[...]
It never feels cheap for me.

I agree with you that you should win or lose on the merits of your skill. But do you really think that it doesn't "feel cheap" when an AI in this game rear-ends you, when you're not even slowing down? That's the over-aggressiveness that I'm talking about. You shouldn't lose just because AI drivers think they're playing GTA.

As for your other comments, I'm in agreement as much as I can with only having watched streams -- graphics are insane, controls seem in a good pocket between arcade and sim.

Having bought and played both, to this point I've enjoyed FH2 more. Better car selection and I prefer the open world to pure track racing. I also think you'll probably get more time out of FH2 more with all the discoverables and higher level cap and more cars to unlock. Not saying DriveClub isn't great, I've loved what I've played, just not as much.

So ps plus edition still not up? Anyone got an eta?

Don't know the validity of this, but: http://www.reddit.com/r/PlayStation...club_ps_edition_in_store_within_next_2_hours/

Called customer support. Was on hold for quite a while (given the current situation). Rep confirmed that the PS+ edition will hit the store in about 1.5 hours. Rep also said that he has gotten many calls regarding this very predicament. Time will tell, but I'm just the messenger.

Why did they limit paint jobs and customization to 4 custom presets for all cars?? I basically have to just change paint jobs in the garage for one of my presets?? Dumb.

Hoje0308

Banned

Man, I really thought you were trolling. It's probably the lighting conditions. I just had a race go from cloudy to sunny and back again and the difference is staggering. Flat light makes it harder to see.

I have to check my own sanity sometimes just in case I'm hallucinating. I read the comments about ugly graphics, go back to Youtube and watch some footage, return to see more comments about aliasing, once again return to Youtube. I end up squashing my face against the PC screen trying my hardest to conjure up the 'ugly' but I just can't do it. Is there something wrong with me? Why does it look beautiful to me and disgusting to others?

It stands out more in the actual game. The youtube videos hide the aliasing more because it is downsampled and compressed.

At native res the aliasing and the bad texture filtering really stand out.

barit

My god this game ! The lightning is spectacular. I never saw such amazing use of light in any game so far. You can really FEEL how the clouds are above you and flying under the sun away. The mood that Evo captured in some scene is really something else. And the graphics, holy sh*t. When you see mountains 20km away shrouded in fog .. you just want to put your Iphone out and make pretty pictures of it lol

So far i have a blast playing it. I´m not an expert for racers, heck my last racer i bought was probably Burnout Paradise. Me is causal as it gets for this genre but the handling, the presentation, the music, it all fits just perfect for me.

Virdix

Im at work till 12 PST so hopefully its up by then, cant wait to race to my Chevelle channel on Music Unlimited. It does wonders for me when im speeding around Mars on my sparrow farming relic iron, in Destiny.

My game didnt ship, fuck Best Buy.

Question: Assuming this goes live on PSN for plus members, can I download that version and continue my progress in the full game?

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm at level 20 now and I know none of the progress will carry over to my club since it hadn't been activated by the time the servers went down. Seriously, get your network sorted, Soony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom