• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone having trouble with downloading and launching the game???

The DRIVECLUB icon appears in my GAME LIBRARY but the game will not launch....

this is pissing me off

pixlexic

Banned
Your TV sounds like its fucked up.

just tell me this is because the game is still downloading???

dc.jpg

impact

Banned
After the giant bomb quick look and these meh reviews I think i'm out until a $30 or so price drop.

The concerns about the grippy, understeer heavy controls worry me the most.

Maybe they'll patch in better controls but man, after a year delay this game sounds like a mess.

I'll still play the PS+ demo but not expecting great things. Back to destiny!

Glad I don't listen to the fools at Giant Bomb that are generally terrible at playing games

The game is so good. I like how the driving is arcade but not super arcade. Feels great, now if only I could play online.

what is this about gerstmann bias?

I trust big jeffrey implicitly.

It was echoed in several other reviews from Gamespot, eurogamer, USgamer, and joystiq today. It was one of the common threads of complaints about the game in most reviews.
He doesn't particularly care for Sony 1st party games. I've heard him say this on 2 separate occasions. And no, in the countless GB videos I've watched, i don't remember where.

for some reason most current gen console games don't have AF enabled. It's really annoying after playing on PC for the last few years. And much more noticeable at 1080p now.

meppi

Gerstmann should be the last person you listen to about a Sony 1st party game. And in this case, again, he's dead fucking wrong. The controls are dead on, and no one whose played the game are complaining about them.

So he knows jack shit about Sony games and Nintendo games?
No wonder I'm not a fan of the site at all. ;)

So for those that have both an Xbone and PS4 like me, and had to choose between this and FH2; which do you think is the better value as of right now?

I have both. Albeit since DC just came out today i'm not sure how long the "legs" are on it, but I have had a *blast* with Horizon 2 and put many, many hours into it. There are some nasty exploits that are working their way into the free-roam multiplayer that break the scoring system, but I still had a great time with it. There's also a cubic ton of content in there.

The courses in DC are obviously more "designed" (whereas the courses of Horizon 2 are laid out onto the roadmap of the game), which means DC's courses have way more course-side detail and whatnot. But personally Horizon 2 feels smoother and faster to me, not 100% sure why; it might just be more aggressive motion blur on Horizon 2.

DriveClub seems decent enough in and of itself so far, and the planned calendar of upgrades and downloadable content seems super-ambitious, but as they currently stand, I think Horizon 2 is the more complete game and better value right now, if you have to pick just one game.

Stike

Okay, so I came back after 1 hour and 30 minutes of Driveclub.

Got 3 of 3 stars in the first three events, and I had a lot of fun practicing drifting, shoving away opponents and figuring out how to tackle each curve.

During that time I earned 2 silver and 6 bronze trophies, and got up to driver level 5. Really fast progression and good rewards.

Concerning the gfx: Yeah, the game has aliasing, but its not so terrible as some seem to claim. Everything else is looking GREAT.

Sound: The settings are weird in fact. Setting the FX to 100% and music to 90% still seems to limit the background music to, uh, just my guess, around 50% of the master volume. That's bad, and I have no idea why.

Controls: I approached it as I would have approached Ridge Racer, and I was pretty close to the "Drift" control scheme of Ridge Racer Type 4, it is however a little more complex and a bit harder to master. Love it.

Preliminary result from the first impression: That is a solid 8 out of 10, still room for an even better opinion from me.

As far as arcade racers go, Driveclub is definitely up there with the best of the best.

PS: Anyone who is missing a story: Watch "Speed Racer" on DVD.

He doesn't particularly care for Sony 1st party games. I've heard him say this on 2 separate occasions. And no, in the countless GB videos I've watched, i don't remember where.

this is not true. If jeff has a slant or a personal dislike of one console maker's general style of game production it's Nintendo.

I am actually baffled at the idea that Jeff dislikes any game purely because of the studio or name associated with it or him being in any way unreliable to tell the truth about how he feels about a game.

low-G

just tell me this is because the game is still downloading???

dc.jpg

The motion blur literally destroys all texture detail anyways so why bother? :p

Not dissing the graphics, but maybe they didn't see the point in the 1% performance loss due to AF because of the motion blur...

LuuKyK

Every racing game (any kind of game really) ever looks worse in that awful first person view. I have no idea why people use it.

EBreda

Ok, I've played the game once during beta (or alpha, don't know, before it went back to the drawing board), and it was very bland, sterile, with a decent but unimpressive handling model, pretty and mediocre.

Having tried the complete game just now (done 2 of the first races and 5 more time trials), I have to say my impressions are exactly where they were 1 year ago.

It's somewhat pretty - in fact, it should be prettier from everything I've heard from the devs. Rendering particles of this, dust of that, volumetric clouds 10 miles away, I don't care. It you sell that hype, please back it up. Honestly, it looks great but it fails to make jaws drop. It's amazing that it looks wonderful on gifs and offscreen shots, but running in front of you that marvelous spectacle is somewhat missing. That's the first point and let's get this out of the way cause it's the most unimportant one.

Presentation is completely bland. Simple menus and that's it. What happened to "you'll never get out of the first person view ever"? I barely see my guy stepping into the car. The animation is in chunks, with fadeouts. What happened here? Weren't we supposed to be locked in fps mode, entering the car, getting to grips with the dashboard and checking out other cars and stuff? Where's all that? It's choose a race, a car, boom, drive. Where's the pizzazz? You have to differentiate yourself from the competition somehow, and Evo failed to do so in this regard.

Driving... Where do I start? It's basic, it's simple, it's like every decent simcade racer that came before it. Cars handle nicely and feel heavy. But how come crashes are so unexciting? Hitting another car is like hitting a box. Hitting walls is like hitting wood. Something is missing. This should be better than long gone racers, but it's not. In fact it's worse. It's uninspired. It's by the books.

Maybe worst of all... It's a racing track. It has walls. It's not like you can drive through vineyards or something. So why the hell does a countdown start as soon as I touch the gravel 5 inches from the asphalt? Really, why? I'm walled in anyway! That's the most obnoxious thing. And penalties for maybe cutting corners. Really? On an arcade racer with guardrails all over the place?

Sound. Damn the first cars sound completely off from the cockpit camera. Muffled as hell. Won't comment on ST since it's a matter of music taste.

TL;DR. Bland, uninspired, sterile, by the books simcade racer. Product of hype basically. Whereas MotorStorm was something exciting and new, that figured in most best of ps3 lists, Driveclub will be forgotten soon. It's a shame really, it sounded like it had potential, but in the end it's a beautiful game and nothing else.

IMHO

Oppo

have they confirmed adding a replay mode?

I feel 3 key things are missing: custom soundtrack support, precipitation and replays. I know the first two are coming.

pixlexic

Banned
The motion blur literally destroys all texture detail anyways so why bother? :p

Not dissing the graphics, but maybe they didn't see the point in the 1% performance loss due to AF because of the motion blur...

yeah the motion blur is heavy but the thing with no AF is like when you come to a grassy hill its solid green until you are right up on it. Its pretty jarring.

that said I love the feel of the cars. they are heavy like a car should be!

Ok, I've played the game once during beta (or alpha, don't know, before it went back to the drawing board), and it was very bland, sterile, with a decent but unimpressive handling model, pretty and mediocre.

Having tried the complete game just now (done 2 of the first races and 5 more time trials), I have to say my impressions are exactly where they were 1 year ago.

It's somewhat pretty - in fact, it should be prettier from everything I've heard from the devs. Rendering particles of this, dust of that, volumetric clouds 10 miles away, I don't care. It you sell that hype, please back it up. Honestly, it looks great but it fails to make jaws drop. It's amazing that it looks wonderful on gifs and offscreen shots, but running in front of you that marvelous spectacle is somewhat missing. That's the first point and let's get this out of the way cause it's the most unimportant one.

Presentation is completely bland. Simple menus and that's it. What happened to "you'll never get out of the first person view ever"? I barely see my guy stepping into the car. The animation is in chunks, with fadeouts. What happened here? Weren't we supposed to be locked in fps mode, entering the car, getting to grips with the dashboard and checking out other cars and stuff? Where's all that? It's choose a race, a car, boom, drive. Where's the pizzazz? You have to differentiate yourself from the competition somehow, and Evo failed to do so in this regard.

Driving... Where do I start? It's basic, it's simple, it's like every decent simcade racer that came before it. Cars handle nicely and feel heavy. But how come crashes are so unexciting? Hitting another car is like hitting a box. Hitting walls is like hitting wood. Something is missing. This should be better than long gone racers, but it's not. In fact it's worse. It's uninspired. It's by the books.

Maybe worst of all... It's a racing track. It has walls. It's not like you can drive through vineyards or something. So why the hell does a countdown start as soon as I touch the gravel 5 inches from the asphalt? Really, why? I'm walled in anyway! That's the most obnoxious thing. And penalties for maybe cutting corners. Really? On an arcade racer with guardrails all over the place?

Sound. Damn the first cars sound completely off from the cockpit camera. Muffled as hell. Won't comment on ST since it's a matter of music taste.

TL;DR. Bland, uninspired, sterile, by the books simcade racer. Product of hype basically. Whereas MotorStorm was something exciting and new, that figured in most best of ps3 lists, Driveclub will be forgotten soon. It's a shame really, it sounded like it had potential, but in the end it's a beautiful game and nothing else.

IMHO

I loved all the motorstorm games so i had high hopes. Not sure what they were going for with this game, it always seemed like it was lost and had no direction.

Diamondium

Neo Member
Man, in the first 2 phases (Rookie and whatever's next, Amateur perhaps) I was destroying competition, getting max stars each race with ease, but now that I've got to the Semi-Pro level, it suddenly got extremely hard. I'll be lucky to get 2/3 stars each race now.

Quite the ramp up in difficulty there, hoping it's not too insane at the later rounds.

mujun

Care to show where he said that?

Seems weird to make a statement like that considering that Sony's first party makes a very varied selection of stuff.

Hard to say as none of Driveclub's online/social features have really been functional to test yet.

I enjoyed my time with Forza Horizon 2 so far, but find the actual racing in Driveclub to be more fun.

It depends if you prefer the offroading/exploration aspects or closed circuit tracks and lap time focus.

Having bought and played both, to this point I've enjoyed FH2 more. Better car selection and I prefer the open world to pure track racing. I also think you'll probably get more time out of FH2 more with all the discoverables and higher level cap and more cars to unlock. Not saying DriveClub isn't great, I've loved what I've played, just not as much.

They are both pretty different to really say which one to go with. Both have great visuals, both play great, but FH2 is open and has a lot of things to do in it, from just driving around on your own doing what you want to do, finding the barns or the signs to gain more XP or doing races against the AI or on-line. It is more of a relaxed game, while DC is more of a circuit, point to point racing games with not a lot of extra stuff in it. There is no tuning or stuff like that to do, so it lends itself more to an arcade type of racing game, with some sim thrown in.

Personally, I would say get both if your are a racing fan and since they are very different you can jump between them. If you can only get one, I would say the amount of content and things to do would lean itself more to FH2. But it in end, you just have to decide if you want more of a circuit based racing game or a go anywhere game.

Both games from users perspective seem to be very positive, so whatever you choose, you should have a good time.

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm not a huge racing fan, so it seems that FH2 is the better buy for me. On the plus(bah dum tish*) side of DC is that I can try it out. So at a minimum I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.

Care to show where he said that?

Seems weird to make a statement like that considering that Sony's first party makes a very varied selection of stuff.

I do remember on a podcast or something where they were discussing the first party output and him stating that last gen he generally preferred what microsoft was putting out over sony. But I also remember him saying that microsoft has been far worse since around 2010 when kinect became a thing.

So basically mirroring what most people felt last gen, that MS started out stronger but Sony had much better output by the end of the gen.

I am actually stunned at the idea that people do not trust a man who was fired for giving a game a low score to give his honest opinion.

This is what hype does, gentlemen.

Late Flag

I am ass at this game apparently. Finished 7/10 in my first race and still couldn't do better than 2nd even after 3-4 attempts. Got my work cut out for me here :)

On the plus side, doing time trials and just manuevering around the course is a blast.

Loudninja

Man, in the first 2 phases (Rookie and whatever's next, Amateur perhaps) I was destroying competition, getting max stars each race with ease, but now that I've got to the Semi-Pro level, it suddenly got extremely hard. I'll be lucky to get 2/3 stars each race now.

Quite the ramp up in difficulty there, hoping it's not too insane at the later rounds.
Well yeah!

VanWinkle

If the game just had AF and better AA, nobody would be let down by the visuals. Just goes to show how important those aspects are, though. We have this game that is doing so much graphically that's incredible, but in the end, a good amount of people in here are not amazed at all. I think they should have put more priority on image quality. I know some in here aren't disappointed by the IQ, but clearly a lot are, and almost everybody has brought up the visible aliasing.

IMHO
God damn, I basically disagree with everything you said about the game. But, opinions. :)

shem935

Banned

When did they ever say that? Pizazz? What do you want them to do shove sparklers up your ass everytime you start a race?

What?

All those irrelevant words in two short sentence fragments.

Corridor racers mang whatcha gonna do.

You are literally inside a cockpit. Turn on your car and sit inside and rev the engine. Then step out and have a friend do it. They don't sound the same? Man the fucks wrong with your car?

TL;DR. Bland, uninspired, sterile, by the books simcade racer. (I count three buzzwords in this sentence, find all three and get a prize). Product of hype basically. Whereas MotorStorm was something exciting and new, that figured in most best of ps3 lists, Driveclub will be forgotten soon. It's a shame really, it sounded like it had potential, but in the end it's a beautiful game and nothing else. (Oh sorry I thought it was somewhat pretty)

IMHO

IMHO

Aspiring

So I have only just completed 3 events and think it's awesome. Lots of fun and exactly what I expected. Just sucks about the servers being off as I can see how it's a massive focus of the game and I want to start beating some challenges against gaffers so hopefully that's fixed soon.

Also I need the store to update so I can download my pre order cars and get the free car that it says in the update.

Also got a steelbook with mine and must say it's completely sexy.

mujun

I do remember on a podcast or something where they were discussing the first party output and him stating that last gen he generally preferred what microsoft was putting out over sony. But I also remember him saying that microsoft has been far worse since around 2010 when kinect became a thing.

So basically mirroring what most people felt last gen, that MS started out stronger but Sony had much better output by the end of the gen.

I am actually stunned at the idea that people do not trust a man who was fired for giving a game a low score to give his honest opinion.

This is what hype does, gentlemen.

I remember him saying that, too. It sounded to me like he was looking back at two bodies of work and saying which one he preferred. I don't see how that is bias.

He seems like a really straight shooter to me. He definitely has weird, random seeming taste but at the same time understandable justification for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom