• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is amazing.
Playing in cockpit view with no HUD, so much fun.
Somehow races (especially time trials) in this game are very intense and very soothing at the same time. I'm doing several extra laps in some events just because of that.

Also, does anyone have problems with preorder cars? Download fails every time.

Hawk269

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm not a huge racing fan, so it seems that FH2 is the better buy for me. On the plus(bah dum tish*) side of DC is that I can try it out. So at a minimum I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.

Forza H2 has a demo as well. If you are unsure, you can play both demo's then decide. FH2 is a great game with a lot of stuff to do and based on what you just said, it sounds like it will be a better fit for you. But make sure to give DC a shot at least the demo, it may be something you get to compliment FH2.

EBreda

Really? Even things like the countdown timer for absolutely no reason and the lack of the promised always fp view mode?

I honestly can't see how these things can be considered good. But, opinions. Have fun with it!

I'm definitely curious to check out the free version tonight, if it's going live in NA. I'll probably hold off on purchasing the game until the weather and stuff is patched in, but the polarizing reactions have me curious. If the multiplayer stuff is good I could get hooked.

He doesn't particularly care for Sony 1st party games. I've heard him say this on 2 separate occasions. And no, in the countless GB videos I've watched, i don't remember where.

It was probably in this total blasting he gave another big Sony first party game this year

Aspiring

This game is amazing.
Somehow races (especially time trials) in this game are very intense and very soothing at the same time. I'm doing several extra laps in some events just because of that.

Yeah mine won't download either. I think I gotta wait for the store to update.

Kssio_Aug

Really? Even things like the countdown timer for absolutely no reason and the lack of the promised always fp view mode?

I honestly can't see how these things can be considered good. But, opinions. Have fun with it!

I was thinking about the countdown, even with invisible walls, and talking to a friend the only reason I could find is that, it is there to prevent someone to race keeping rubbing on the walls to make curves and whatever. Cause I also cant understand the timer if the tracks are so closed.

Loudninja

This game is amazing.

Yeah mine won't download either. I think I gotta wait for the store to update.
We're following up with the Store team to find out why. DLC isn't related to the servers.
https://www.facebook.com/driveclubo...41825.423631211054578/706963486054681/?type=1

Played about two hours and finished the rookie cup. My impressions so far:

Positive:
- Driving model is awesome. Seems to be the perfect balance between arcade and sim. Loving the high speed cornering. Dat first Mercedes time trial. (Bumper cam + manual transmission is the way to go)
- Controls are precise and the DS4 is a dream for racing games.
- Lighting is beautiful
- Amazing sense of speed
- All the courses have been great so far.
- Car engines sound great
- Load times are quick, nice.
- I am happy that the game is focussed on driving. Not every game needs to be filled with fancy bullshit.
- Unlike some reviews I think the music is great!

Negative:
- Besides the lighting I am not terribly impressed with the graphics. IQ leaves something to be desired
- Servers are down, yay.
- No replays are a big minus in my book.
- Cockpit view field of view is too low to play this game with a controller. Would be acceptable with a wheel, but for now I am sticking to bumper cam. Would love to use my G27 in this game.

---

I can see myself putting countless hours into the career and multiplayer. Hopefully I can get some GAF races in. Don't get the complaints about being sterile etc. It's pure racing and I love it.

edit: Countdown timer is a non issue. It's extremely forgiving and you really fucked up if you manage to activate it.

shem935

Banned

Countdown timer is likely there so that if you wipe out or flip your car you won't be stuck in one place for more than that three seconds. The alternative is crashing and losing immediately by being 10seconds behind while trying to get your car turned around.

First person mode- When did they say this was a thing? I have literally never heard this before 2 mins ago.

Edit: Poster above me should friend DRIVECLUB-GAF and then you will get a ton of gaf racers friending you.

Here are some pics I took

ibukybN45yAhRF.jpg

iydfvyPTpsNt6.jpg

ispo4n1z3GSvg.jpg

iGLco6lvNtjI8.jpg

ispo4n1z3GSvg.jpg

iMGwNr5YTmtYv.jpg

ibrDPmYqhmWVQO.jpg

iDBdMp3pupaF9.jpg

i7vcQkubFcHTR.jpg

iHTkFnUq0xmNQ.jpg

iTvd1DEQ3QlXf.jpg

iio2O24UQ929k.jpg

ibbue1pNaLfptD.jpg

ibmG3fPWhCQosV.jpg

ijyYCo4fTUIrP.jpg

imFcR6GvPlbyj.jpg

ieyDN9Ohrob6c.jpg

So I have only just completed 3 events and think it's awesome. Lots of fun and exactly what I expected. Just sucks about the servers being off as I can see how it's a massive focus of the game and I want to start beating some challenges against gaffers so hopefully that's fixed soon.

Also I need the store to update so I can download my pre order cars and get the free car that it says in the update.

Also got a steelbook with mine and must say it's completely sexy.

The servers were up for about 3 races when I was playing last night, and it felt like a different game. Someone's name pops up for a challenge and you have to decide to take it or not. It seems pretty constant, average speed really helps figure out if you can go faster at a section.

cripterion

Well so far it's pretty bad, can't connect to the Driveclub hub at all, no idea why...music is awful, and while the environments are pretty feels like the game has no soul. Already did a couple of races but wasn't really thrilling, the Mini Cooper handled like a big ass cart.

In the positive side the game loads really quickly and it does look better now that it doesn't crop up my screen but tough to go from Forza to this. Maybe it's not my kind of game. Going to wait till they resolve their issues to try the multiplayer later on.

boingball

I loved all the motorstorm games so i had high hopes. Not sure what they were going for with this game, it always seemed like it was lost and had no direction.

It's not lost. Motorstorm sold ok but never really great. Gran Turismo on the other hand did sell well. Evolution wanted clearly to become the GT Arcade racer spin-off, they even asked to use the name but got rebuked by Polyphony. Would be ironic if this is the game which closes their studio (I hope not, but I don't think it will sell well).

Is there any ETA on the weather update?

I'm interested in getting it but I'd rather start from the start with all of the features, as opposed to unlocking everything and possibly getting bored before it's out.

M.W.

Well so far it's pretty bad, can't connect to the Driveclub hub at all, no idea why...music is awful, and while the environments are pretty feels like the game has no soul. Already did a couple of races but wasn't really thrilling, the Mini Cooper handled like a big ass cart.

In the positive side the game loads really quickly and it does look better now that it doesn't crop up my screen but tough to go from Forza to this. Maybe it's not my kind of game. Going to wait till they resolve their issues to try the multiplayer later on.
Music awful? Wut

sourc3d

UK preorder charge email from PSN just dropped confirming payment taken.....anyone know if the expected release date and time in the billing email is accurate for game unlock...i'm fully preloaded!

DRIVECLUB™ PlayStation®Plus Edition Full Game Upgrade (Full Game) £34.99
Pre-order Expected Release Date: 09/10/2014 @ 11:00 PM

kaskade

Man, I was hoping for the PS+ version to come out before I got home from this late class. Oh well, I got orcs to kill in Mordor.

Music awful? Wut

Yup, music is fucking nice.

It's not lost. Motorstorm sold ok but never really great. Gran Turismo on the other hand did sell well. Evolution wanted clearly to become the GT Arcade racer spin-off, they even asked to use the name but got rebuked by Polyphony. Would be ironic if this is the game which closes their studio (I hope not, but I don't think it will sell well).

I can see this selling gangbusters over Christmas in certain regions. Not worried about EVO.

Nokterian

I love this game all ready,the sense of speed and mastering the corners whoa. Also the OST damn so good! But they need to fix the servers asap it's still offline here in EU.

Liamc723

I've been mulling over getting the game all day following these reviews, but I've decided to keep my pre-order. The game's structure really appeals to me, it's like Gran Turismo's in that you have lots of cups to compete in, nice! Looking forward to getting my copy on Friday.

kanuuna

Gerstfat is a tool anyway. He's the butthole of GB.

That's not a very nice thing to say.

I don't know what to make of it to be honest, until I get my hands on it. I generally tend to agree with Jeff's opinions on a lot of games and the QL really didn't give me a good impression, but then I looked at Daniel Bloodworth's (who I can recall being a racing games nut) review at GT and I got good vibes from it.

Yeah and motorstorm was at least unique and not like much of anything else.

Driveclub just seems like another driving game to meand the social aspects are not that great

M.W.

I thought because of the games sense of speed something was wrong with my tv, seemed like it was skipping, lol

Aspiring

The servers were up for about 3 races when I was playing last night, and it felt like a different game. Someone's name pops up for a challenge and you have to decide to take it or not. It seems pretty constant, average speed really helps figure out if you can go faster at a section.

That's awesome to hear! It really does feel like it would so glad to hear it does. Can't wait for it to be up.

Been playing most of the day and I must say, I don't really get the reviews. Driveclub is a great racing experience. It's pretty arcadey but overall it's a whole lot of fun. its a steady racer that delivers great graphics and the gameplay is really good. The cars react differently and I feela sense of weight to cars when drifting or going up or down hill.

So far my favorite has been the Mercedes Hotlap. The track is quite narrow but you get going so fast I find myself holding my breath by the end of the lap. You really feel the speed and almost feel out of control hitting the last turns. You know you got to make your time so you just gun and and hope the car sticks. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom