• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.W.

Can't wait for the weather, omg. Hopefully it's not too long of a wait

And that one sort of downhill race in Norway through the tunnels... Drool

btkadams

So, is this a game where you need to brake (not hand brake) for corners? Or just let go of the gas and use handbrake? Or a bit of both?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So, is this a game where you need to brake (not hand brake) for corners? Or just let go of the gas and use handbrake? Or a bit of both?

You need to use the brake. You can handbrake some corners, but a good amount of the time you're carrying too much speed and will slide through.

Lapping these trial races and shooting for these times is making my palms sweat.
This game is fucking amazing.

Yep, the short period I was connected earlier today I couldn't stop myself from lapping constantly.

Yeah and motorstorm was at least unique and not like much of anything else.

Driveclub just seems like another driving game to meand the social aspects are not that great

I don't really agree. This type of racing game is a dying breed and the last one I played was PGR4.
The area DC really seems to excel in are the large open roads combined with the dynamic lighting. Makes every drive a special experience. It certainly doesn't re-invent the wheel but it does not need to.

h3ro

Anyone else able to connect to the server? Digital full version here, on the East coast of the US.

I feel like this game is gonna need a Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls retooling. Too many annoyances in it's current state.

Iacobellis

Did this game get downgraded? Seems like there is more noticeable aliasing on the vehicles than what we saw earlier in the year.

"your connection to the driveclub servers has been lost"

have they been usable at all in the last 12 hours since launch?
no leaderboards or anything for anyone?

Anyone else able to connect to the server? Digital full version here, on the East coast of the US.

I feel like this game is gonna need a Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls retooling. Too many annoyances in it's current state.

Are we doing this for every game now? Besides the temporary server issues I am not seeing those annoyances...

Did this game get downgraded? Seems like there is more noticeable aliasing on the vehicles than what we saw earlier in the year.
my theory is high frequency aliasing is not picked up by jpgs or video because of image compression. Compression hides random pixel sparkles, its not considered critical by compression designed for photos.
Only uncompressed image formats can show the game as it looks on your tv?

viveks86

"your connection to the driveclub servers has been lost"

have they been usable at all in the last 12 hours since launch?
no leaderboards or anything for anyone?

Was up briefly for 30 minutes or so. Managed to sneak in my club and logo. Sent out invites to club members. And that's it. Been down ever since for me. For those 30 minutes, everything was working. Challenges, leaderboards, everything. Was super smooth too. And then boom.

btkadams

You need to use the brake. You can handbrake some corners, but a good amount of the time you're carrying too much speed and will slide through.

Yep, the short period I was connected earlier today I couldn't stop myself from lapping constantly.
Should I ever use the hand brake?

Anyone know whatever happened to this?:
Alex Perkins: Evolution Studios Art Director said:
"It's a mixture. There's a pixel-based system that we're using, there's a temporal-based system, there's FXAA and there's actually a material-based system as well. We've only got four systems in place and we've got another for the key points that we don't quite hit. We obsess about the small details, so we're getting another one to go on top of that, to get on top of the very final image quality issues."

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with DriveClub

Were they able to include that last system in?

Handy Fake

I don't know. They may all be there, but it honestly looks like they slapped some FXAA on there and called it a day. That's probably offensive to the work they've put into it, but the IQ is the only real sore spot in it.

I'm curious as to whether the final AA solution will be part of the weather patch...

Seventy70

It seems like you are more focused on me laughing at ONE person than discussing it with many. I'll reiterate 'ONE'.

How did you get the idea that I was laughing. When you keep posting comments that are obvious trolling here, it makes this thread feel like we are in GameFAQs. Anyway, back on topic.

viveks86

Just played Norway for the first time. ZOMG! Beating a GTI with a slower car was tough! I need to level up the club so that I can unlock it! Come on, PSN! :(

potam

Banned
rush pls give us sunglasses or some shit. I feel like I go into half the turns blind as fuck and just hope I slow down enough by ramming into the back of the car in front of me

h3ro

Are we doing this for every game now? Besides the temporary server issues I am not seeing those annoyances...

Small things here and there that are annoying me in the first hour.

For instance, I LOVED the idea of abandoning the driving line and replacing them with colored flags. Great idea.

Only problem? Not every circuit has them! Not an issue if it was my 100th time through, but it's an inconsistency.

Next up, the scaling of the game. Why does the entire game scale when every other PS4 release I've played will just scale the HUD to the parameters set. I purposely left some gap on my TV so HUD elements in games like Diablo wouldn't be near the borders, so I'm left with the choice of that or having black bars surrounding the screen.

Again, nothing deal breaking, but annoying.

I'm using RoS just as an example of a game launching with promise but with some inherent flaws that detracted from the experience which were remedied after a major update. I think we'll see that happen with the weather/photomode update.

Handy Fake

How did you get the idea that I was laughing. When you keep posting comments that are obvious trolling here, it makes this thread feel like we are in GameFAQs. Anyway, back on topic.

Not to butt in, but a brief look at GG's post history suggests nothing of the sort. Have you confused them with someone else?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
It was really nice to have Danny_RT from Evolution chiming in on my stream giving me tips. I couldn't handle it! Too much pressure to perform. That Venom Hot Lap is a bitch.

Handy Fake

I was thinking that maybe it wasn't included yet. Then again, it might be. You'd think with five systems in place, the image would be at least 99% free of aliasing.

True enough. "Weather" would certainly put a final wash over the entire product that may see it being the case. We'll see, I suppose.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I meant posting comments that are obvious trolling from other sites onto here.

What? You used the word 'Keep' as in I've done it many times. I've done it ONCE. You must be mixing me up with someone else. And like I said, it was funny. If you want to see trolling, scroll through a few Driveclub threads. Jesus.

VanWinkle

I was thinking that maybe it wasn't included yet. Then again, it might be. You'd think with five systems in place, the image would be at least 99% free of aliasing.

And yet there it is looking worse than most games with one AA solution, lol. :( It's unfortunate. People keep bringing up how it's not quite the graphical tour de force they thought it would be, and I'm 99% sure it's just that aliasing and lack of any AF at all.

Was up briefly for 30 minutes or so. Managed to sneak in my club and logo. Sent out invites to club members. And that's it. Been down ever since for me. For those 30 minutes, everything was working. Challenges, leaderboards, everything. Was super smooth too. And then boom.

Do third-parties control their own server code, and Sony just provides the servers and bandwidth? I don't understand how a game server could buckle so easily in this day and age unless the admin is totally incompetent and did no stress testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom