• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet there it is looking worse than most games with one AA solution, lol. :( It's unfortunate. People keep bringing up how it's not quite the graphical tour de force they thought it would be, and I'm 99% sure it's just that aliasing and lack of any AF at all.
I'm sorry, but looking at the Gamersyde videos and all the screens posted here, I humbly disagree. I can't wait until I get a PS4 so I can join in on the fun.

Small things here and there that are annoying me in the first hour.

For instance, I LOVED the idea of abandoning the driving line and replacing them with colored flags. Great idea.

Only problem? Not every circuit has them! Not an issue if it was my 100th time through, but it's an inconsistency.

Next up, the scaling of the game. Why does the entire game scale when every other PS4 release I've played will just scale the HUD to the parameters set. I purposely left some gap on my TV so HUD elements in games like Diablo wouldn't be near the borders, so I'm left with the choice of that or having black bars surrounding the screen.

Again, nothing deal breaking, but annoying.

I'm using RoS just as an example of a game launching with promise but with some inherent flaws that detracted from the experience which were remedied after a major update. I think we'll see that happen with the weather/photomode update.

Are the colored flags/smoke for turns something new to the racing genre? I'm pretty unfamiliar with racing games in general. When I noticed the use of flags and smoke to designate the difficulty of a turn I thought it was a pretty damn cool idea.

VanWinkle

wait so this game isn't free on playstation plus? just a discount?

The full game was literally NEVER said to be free with PS+. The PS+ Edition isn't up yet, though. Hopefully soon. :/

I'm sorry, but looking at the Gamersyde videos and all the screens posted here, I humbly disagree. I can't wait until I get a PS4 so I can join in on the fun.

Not the graphics in general. Strictly talking about the aliasing. It's worse than pretty much any game with a single AA solution.

Seventy70

What? You used the word 'Keep' as in I've done it many times. I've done it ONCE. You must be mixing me up with someone else. And like I said, it was funny. If you want to see trolling, scroll through a few Driveclub threads. Jesus.

Hm, ok, I admit my mistake in blaming just you. I guess I mean that I've seen plenty of posts that talk about troll comments on other sites. It gets annoying because there are trolls on the internet, big surprise.

Question for those playing right now i.e. those with the full version: How'd you rate India and its tracks as compared to the other locations? Are the tracks in each location totally different from each other? Since I'm picking up the PS+ Edition initially, I will have plenty of time to get acquainted to it, but it'll be the draw towards other locales-- more than an increased variety of cars-- that'll likely push me towards upgrading.

Speaking of cars, I'm actually happy one of cars included in the PS+ version is the Mini Coop. That's my gf's car and she's obsessed with anything MC-related so there's a chance I can get her to take DC for a spin as well.

That game... I could barely test some events tonight but something stroke me immediately even more than the visuals: the handling. It is absolutely amazing. Oh my, I know it, I will enjoy this game. Thank you Evo, thank you so much!

viveks86

Do third-parties control their own server code, and Sony just provides the servers and bandwidth? I don't understand how a game server could buckle so easily in this day and age unless the admin is totally incompetent and did no stress testing.

No idea. Also, nobody knows if this is a stress issue. PSN has been pretty unstable for almost 10 days now.

Amir0x

Banned
I agree with you that you should win or lose on the merits of your skill. But do you really think that it doesn't "feel cheap" when an AI in this game rear-ends you, when you're not even slowing down? That's the over-aggressiveness that I'm talking about. You shouldn't lose just because AI drivers think they're playing GTA.

As for your other comments, I'm in agreement as much as I can with only having watched streams -- graphics are insane, controls seem in a good pocket between arcade and sim.

I don't feel so at all. Because from my play time, sometimes that sort of thing happens, and sometimes it doesn't. But knowing that it can happen, and that it's the computer playing uncharacteristically aggressive compared to other racers, it feels positively alive. I mean they're not literally playing like some destruction derby game, they're not reckless all the time. But sometimes they are, and sometimes they are not, and the level of unpredictability with the A.I. - which is to say, the strategy seems to shift in a way that seems positively progressive compared to most racing game A.I. - is actually what I find most appealing.

In all honesty, I can find some merit with a lot of the complaints that have been reasonably stated (despite disagreeing with most of them), but the A.I. complaints really specifically seem bizarre. This is some truly fantastic A.I. at a level most racing games don't even touch frankly. I'm a little confused at all as to how this became a negative, with my only theory being most people aren't familiar with A.I. that doesn't just rubberband itself to competitiveness. In DriveClub, the racers are fighting tooth and claw for position, and you always feel the heat and for me it never feels cheap. As with anything your mileage will vary, but I have a real hard time stomaching complaints for the A.I. The way reviews have been stating it, it basically makes most reviewers seem positively incompetent at times. I can understand it not being your thing to have that sort of aggressive A.I., but I really cannot comprehend how anyone can think of it as "bad." If this is bad, racing game A.I. is set to be stagnant for now until infinity.

Edit: I love Forza Horizon 2, but honestly to my surprise I am enjoying DriveClub almost as much. Anyone who knows my hype for Forza Horizon 2 will understand what that means for me.

And yet there it is looking worse than most games with one AA solution, lol. :( It's unfortunate. People keep bringing up how it's not quite the graphical tour de force they thought it would be, and I'm 99% sure it's just that aliasing and lack of any AF at all.

There's AF, the road lines go well off into the distance without becoming a blurry mess.

I wish there was more to the presentation. There's like no presentation at all. It's just, there. The driving is fun though, bumper cam is great, and now that I put music at 100% and SFX at 60% I can actually hear the music. The constant "servers are down" message and half the menus greyed out is quite unfortunate, but I know that will get fixed. Just not as wowed as I had hoped to be, guess that's ok.

I have a feeling release timing is what hurt DriveClub the most. Releasing alongside Forza wasn't the best idea, even if Evo Studios was that confident in their game. The comparisons are inevitable, non-open world racer or not. Ubisoft was smart to delay The Crew. Maybe Project Cars will do better with critics, but since the content is so similar to these two games, fatigue might set in and they might rate that lower yet again.

Release schedules should spread out throughout the year, not like this where everything comes out in the last few months.

Looking forward to trying out the PS+ version, once I get around to having time to download it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Hm, ok, I admit my mistake in blaming just you. I guess I mean that I've seen plenty of posts that talk about troll comments on other sites. It gets annoying because there are trolls on the internet, big surprise.

Yeah, but it's just gentle and humorous and nothing like the bitter trolling you see on here. I mean come on, to state driving home in your car is more realistic than Driveclub is bloody hilarious. Of course it is, it's real for goodness sake. Fella, I hate trolls as much as the next man but sometimes you just have to see the funny side.

Why do you think all those Driveclub memes are posted. It's sometimes the best way of dealing with it.

i have a current model sony led tv
it has a game mode
but it has a sharpness setting too. it was set to 65 and you could see every aliasing sparkle in each frame. turning it down to 15 clears that up and the most obvious hit is to the clarity of the white on dark grey text, eg results; it gains a blur around all letters, but in game in motion the result is no distracting sparkly bits at the expense of a slightly less vibrant image.

i think different perceptions of image quality has a lot to do with what sharpening or softening the viewers tv is doing.

I wish there was more to the presentation. There's like no presentation at all. It's just, there.
Its been a long time since I've played a racing game that isn't littered with "That was wicked cool dude, upload that to YouTube" or ten screens of XP bars filling up and exploding into level ups, or the long post-race whoosh camera angles across your car.

I guess, considering the racing games I've played for the past several years, the minimalist aesthetic here is just what the doctor ordered. Put me on the track as quickly as possible, please ;p

barit

There are some minor graphic issues like flickering shadows and some strange popups for certain objects. But the overall packet is just beautiful and i really don't know how anyone would say it's "ugly". It is just a game after all.

Jimrpg

This must had been asked a lot but I got four black borders around the game. When I zoom back into the OS it's full screen, anyone know what's going on?

Oh and obligatory WTF at the game spot and to a certain extent euro gamer score... This game is as good as PGR and motorstorm and it's been a very long time since I played those.

benzy

sfbgts.gif

Pimpwerx

I just got home. I'm in the PSN store, and I can't see DC available. Is it a free PS+ game? It says unavailable in the store, and says the reason is because I already own PS+. The $50 version adds to my cart just fine. WTF? Any help? PEACE.

EDIT: Nevermind. PSN is run by morons, and the biggest PS+ release of the year isn't available yet. Fuck you, Sony. Back to Destiny I go.

Kumubou

Got home from work and played it for a bit. Some thoughts:

• If I was running these servers and everything was coming up down right now, my hair would be on fire right now. So I'm imagining some of the admins and devs over at Evolution/Sony are just running around with their hair on fire trying to get this addressed ASAP... but they need to get it up ASAP. :<
  • I think not having rain/snow/etc. at launch was a mistake -- it would have really helped define some of the events and would have given both the launch visuals and the actual tour events some added texture (dollars to donuts says a bunch of the DLC events emphasize this).
  • I wish I liked the in-car views more, but I always hate how far back the camera is (and this is true in most games). It does look nice, though -- and I'll probably use it for the open cars (like the Mono).
  • The AI is hilariously aggressive to the player, even early on. Getting in a collision and shoved off-road (and being penalized for it, natch) by the AI can be annoying -- but if you drive with the mentality that it's like being online (with drivers that don't overshoot every corner like crazy), it works.
I know a couple of people were complaining about the controller config, but the game does have a full control config -- it's just buried in the options. Only thing I'm missing is down on the C stick (and not R3) to look back. I liked how not only is there that silly typo on the back cover, but the controls printed on the insert don't match the default in-game controls. :x

stormplyr

I just got home. I'm in the PSN store, and I can't see DC available. Is it a free PS+ game? It says unavailable in the store, and says the reason is because I already own PS+. The $50 version adds to my cart just fine. WTF? Any help? PEACE.

PS+ version isn't up on the store yet. Some people are theorizing it's because of the PSN server issues.

Jimrpg

Does anyone know if the game will continue to download the rest of the game in ps4 standby mode?

It's already downloaded 2.7gb for me.

I don't want to leave the ps4 on cause I'm scared it will overheat! I'm away for two days.

Cubed

Okay, I've put two hours into this and it's been my most-anticipated PS4 exclusive since the PS4 reveal; thus, I'm dying to share my thoughts.

Negatives:
Graphics aren't quite as good as I believed they'd be leading up to release. HOWEVER, they certainly look fantastic! I think besides a bit of shrubbery pop-in and aliasing issues it's one of the best-looking games ever; certainly the best-looking console racer ever.

Positives:
Everything else! The car variety (even if the car list is a bit small) is a perfect balance of car types. The track variety has almost everything you'd want: Road circuits, Road Point-to-Point tracks, and full-on race tracks (just needs a few city tracks). The physics are spot-on... may be the best I've ever felt. Perfectly notched between arcade and simulation, leaning towards sim, in my opinion.

Saberus

This must had been asked a lot but I got four black borders around the game. When I zoom back into the OS it's full screen, anyone know what's going on?

Oh and obligatory WTF at the game spot and to a certain extent euro gamer score... This game is as good as PGR and motorstorm and it's been a very long time since I played those.

You need to go into the tv settings in the ps4 menu and adjust your screen settings.

VanWinkle

ibjrjlOgBYohKq.jpg

IMG]http://i2.minus.com/iCVkxGV1sqpV8.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i7.minus.com/ibkQWxjn5xlE2J.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i2.minus.com/iHSvM1VmUG1hp.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i4.minus.com/ibqBUyg73Uk1Db.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i1.minus.com/ibbEeGUominwBJ.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i3.minus.com/ibybvu8d05gjGn.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i1.minus.com/iba9QjNThorddM.jpg[/IMG]

Full gallery here:

http://minus.com/i/95WRm7IIMDFn

Thems are some gooooood screenshots right there, my friend.

Yep omg that ending :(((((((

Wait you mean the one where you go off track a bit and then your car disintegrates into thin air and then you are rejuvenated onto the race track, and resurrected back into reality again?

Oh shit.....I'm sorry......didn't mean to spoil the ending guys.....

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's like some bizarre courtship ritual. Someone says the game doesn't look as good as expected and then someone posts a pic or a video that looks real. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom