• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzy

Yeah it's nice, imagine a fighting game or online competitive shooter. You want to get in those matches and out as fast as possible so you can go back in. The meat is the battles, they keep you coming back for more. A long line just discourages you from playing just one more game, which ends up being more than one.

Exactly. It's pretty similar to PGR in terms of design structure, cut away all of the bullshit that you don't need. Pure arcade goodness.

iFootball

So.... I'm really liking these "Collision Penalty" 's, as it forces you to avoid slamming into the back of other cars when approaching a curve (to avoid actually breaking)... Whenever you get such penalty, your acceleration is actually "limited", and you loose the advantage you gained by using these tactics... I love it.

... and by the way, there's also a "Corner Penalty"... If you actually cut throught tight corners by running over the grass/dirt excessively, you get this penalty called and your acceleration is also limited.

More Canada at request of fellow Guardian of the Track WorthyEdge

iVouoIR9LXGik.jpg

ibi9I4VoiOLn6k.jpg

ibeHlL3DTMEV1x.jpg

ibdsFn0QHOWVEu.jpg

idNloVXA2pIpM.jpg

http://minus.com/mtq2bvIu7kEWH

Coming up next.....Norway

Sweet mother of god.....you can drive under that bridge right???

CodeNfX

So.... I'm really liking these "Collision Penalty" 's, as it forces you to avoid slamming into the back of other cars when approaching a curve (to avoid actually breaking)... Whenever you get such penalty, your acceleration is actually "limited", and you loose the advantage you gained by using these tactics... I love it.

... and by the way, there's also a "Cornering Penalty"... If you actually cut throught tight corners by running over the grass/dirt excessively, you get this penalty called and your acceleration is also limited.

Did not know about the acceleration penalty. Good to know!

evolution

Driveclub really seems like a more oldscool racing game. Its really built like a PGR or Rallisport challenge in terms of game structure. I miss that style. I think ill get it tomorrow

... and by the way, there's also a "Cornering Penalty"... If you actually cut throught tight corners by running over the grass/dirt excessively, you get this penalty called and your acceleration is also limited.
I understand collision penalty, but cornering penalty is fucking annoying. The tracks are already narrow, why the hell should I get a penalty if I go on the grass because all the other cars are forcing me to? At least turn it off in single player!

iFootball

Did not know about the acceleration penalty. Good to know!
Yeah, it's a nice touch IMO... and, to make it clear for everyone, you won't get these penalties for every time you bump into other cars (those just deduct from race total "fame" pts)... You really have to hit a car quite hard to be penalized.

iFootball

I understand collision penalty, but cornering penalty is fucking annoying. The tracks are already narrow, why the hell should I get a penalty if I go on the grass because all the other cars are forcing me to? At least turn it off in single player!
Yeah, I kinda get what you mean, but I believe it's cool that the game is sort of forcing you to avoid those situations when possible... I know I precisely (and consciously) tried cutting corners to avoid the "trouble", so I kinda understood my "punishment" was granted

TEH-CJ

Banned
Put in 3 hours so far

This is coming from a car enthusiast and a massive critic. The game is pretty barebones in content, sure. But if you love racing exotic cars in the most insane and immersive visuals, realistic handling ( dont understand why this touted as an arcade game) and incredible sound. This game is unmatched in those aspects.

Track design is challenging and fun and its just a pure joy to race these high powered cars. Never had a problem with the AI and the handling and controls feels tight and realistic with a sense of weight.

I have a racing background with a GTR R33 and GTST so I know what I am talking about when it comes to handling. Giantbomb giving this a 2 because he doesn't like how the cars handle just proves to me that he doesn't know how to drive or control a car, which is fine but do not dock points because of your incompetence and lack of skill.

I know this game was marketed towards an acrade racer, but it really doesn't feel like it. Cars under-steer under too much acceleration, weight distribution is a must to get the best grip around a corner and acceleration too hard will cause the car to spin if you do not have good throttle control.

the game is raw, its straight to the point. Racing cars around beautiful environments with challenging AI. There is no open world bullshit here, no explosions and massive jumps off ramps. Its a car enthusiast wet dream.

take it from me guys and please do not listen to the reviews. Trust me with this.

Shame I'm only going to be able to play the least exciting of the locations in the PS+ Edition. Still excited, though!
Van, I am very quickly getting into this game. It deserves more than just India. Get a sense for how it drives in the +edition, and if you like it, buy. The other tracks are worth the price of admission.

viveks86

Put in 3 hours so far

This is coming from a car enthusiast and a massive critic. The game is pretty barebones in content, sure. But if you love racing exotic cars in the most insane and immersive visuals, realistic handling ( dont understand why this touted as an arcade game) and incredible sound. This game is unmatched in those aspects.

Track design is challenging and fun and its just a pure joy to race these high powered cars. Never had a problem with the AI and the handling and controls feels tight and realistic with a sense of weight.

I have a racing background with a GTR R33 and GTST so I know what I am talking about when it comes to handling. Giantbomb giving this a 2 because he doesn't like how the cars handle just proves to me that he doesn't know how to drive or control a car, which is fine but do not dock points because of your incompetence and lack of skill.

I know this game was marketed towards an acrade racer, but it really doesn't feel like it. Cars under-steer under too much acceleration, weight distribution is a must to get the best grip around a corner and acceleration too hard will cause the car to spin if you do not have good throttle control.

the game is raw, its straight to the point. Racing cars around beautiful environments with challenging AI. There is no open world bullshit here, no explosions and massive jumps off ramps. Its a car enthusiast wet dream.

take it from me guys and please do not listen to the reviews. Trust me with this.

I guess I'm not just a crazed fanboy after all! I'm really glad that so many of us with varied perspectives are coming together to appreciate this rare gem.

Lot of positive opinions in here right now. Here's a negative one.

This game is so barebones. Finish an event in career, dump back to menu. Finish a single race, dump back to menu. There is no sense of progression at all. I've already got 50 of the 225 total stars after about two hours of play, yet I don't feel like I've really done anything at all. I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. Every event feels like it carries the same weight. There is no build up. Nothing exciting is going on. If that's a positive to you, fine. If you just want to get back to the racing without being bothered with anything else, fine. I would say the same about myself. But that doesn't mean the game doesn't need character. This game has absolutely zero character.

The fact that the servers are down is terrible. I really, really hope this game feels more alive when the servers come up. For as much as they've touted the social aspect of this game, it must be pretty embarrassing for this to be the situation on launch day. The worst part is that there are cars I can't even unlock, because I can't progress in a club. We all assume the servers will be up any minute, but how often has something like this happened where servers are our for hours, then days, then... Who's to say when any of this will actually work?

Cars crashing into me? Not my fault, but take away some points. So frustrating. Especially when one of the stars on a track is to run a "clean lap," and I've got cars crashing into me totally outside of my control. Screw that.

The graphics and locations are beautiful but I feel like I've already seen everything within the first two hours.

The music...utterly boring. The best thing about this game is that it's gotten me to sign up for Sony's Music Unlimited which actually seems pretty decent. At least I can listen to some music I like as I play now.

It is kind of fun to play. I don't hate it. It just feels so empty. Like this game was made by robots.

One last thing - the character model is so poorly animated and so low-poly that I wonder what's the point of even having it?

Put in 3 hours so far

Yep. Listen to this man.

Actually, I'm going to bed now. Tomorrow I'll get all the quotes from people who actually know how to play and liked the game. There are many. I think 90% of the people who played the game really enjoyed it.

So nobody explained to me why I'm a woman. How do I change this?

image.php

You go to your profile in the menu and from there you change your character but don't get excited, all of the male characters look like douchebags and customization is limited to the extreme, meaning you get to select from already done presets.

rykomatsu

uhhhh....I'm getting a bezel around the image. No overscan settings? Can't find anything in my tv controls...

edit: nm it was a system level setting...strange

image.php

You go to your profile in the menu and from there you change your character but don't get excited, all of the male characters look like douchebags and customization is limited to the extreme, meaning you get to select from already done presets.

Women typically weigh less than men... but the handling doesn't change. SIMULATION BROKEN. PURCHASE DECLINED.

Wish I had money for the full game :(

VanWinkle

Put in 3 hours so far

I like this overview. Not a perfect game but unadulterated beautiful racing. Sounds awesome, honestly!

Are you using a capture device or share button?

The tracks design is still really solid. The races in india are incredibly tight. Feels very different from the others.

That's good to know. May not be the most visually exciting but I'm glad they're solid, design-wise.

Van, I am very quickly getting into this game. It deserves more than just India. Get a sense for how it drives in the +edition, and if you like it, buy. The other tracks are worth the price of admission.

Yeah I'm kind of tempted to go ahead and get it now but I'm going to try and hold out for the PS+ Edition to let me get a better feel. But, yeah, if I like it I'll be sure to pick it up!

viveks86

And all these impressions are just based on the Drive part. Yet to even see how satisfying the Club part will be. If PSN doesn't come up in the next hour… I'll…. I'll...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom