• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been playing this off and on all day.

When I'm not playing, I want to play.

The beautiful scenic vistas and stunning lighting; they play off of the intricacies of the vehicles with their tangible handling and weight to really create and exhilarating experience.

I don't really like racing games, but I love this.

shem935

Banned
Wait you mean the one where you go off track a bit and then your car disintegrates into thin air and then you are rejuvenated onto the race track, and resurrected back into reality again?

Oh shit.....I'm sorry......didn't mean to spoil the ending guys.....

The countdown was coming from inside the car!

VanWinkle

The beautiful scenic vistas and stunning lighting; they play off of the intricacies of the vehicles with their tangible handling and weight to really create and exhilarating experience.

Nice to hear, man.

benzy

This must had been asked a lot but I got four black borders around the game. When I zoom back into the OS it's full screen, anyone know what's going on?

Oh and obligatory WTF at the game spot and to a certain extent euro gamer score... This game is as good as PGR and motorstorm and it's been a very long time since I played those.

Rushy linked to this in regards to the black borders:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/areasettings.html

Its been a long time since I've played a racing game that isn't littered with "That was wicked cool dude, upload that to YouTube" or ten screens of XP bars filling up and exploding into level ups, or the long post-race whoosh camera angles across your car.

I guess, considering the racing games I've played for the past several years, the minimalist aesthetic here is just what the doctor ordered. Put me on the track as quickly as possible, please ;p

Yeah, I HATE when racing games include some kind of voice narration. The DIRT games were the worst, absolutely pointless. Really appreciate DriveClub's quick menu navigation and going straight into races.

Terranwolf

Neo Member
I'm not a big racing fan, but I became interested in playing this when they had shown impressive graphics engine work. Looking forward to seeing the "demo" when it shows up.

You know going through this thread and seeing some people being disappointed in the graphics, boggles my mind. If you brought me a racing game, right now on consoles and is playable that looks better than DC then i'd agree with you. The only legitimate complaints this game has is the lack of customization, lack of music (They repeat often), no private lobbies and the servers at the moment being fucked.

barit

Does anyone know if the game will continue to download the rest of the game in ps4 standby mode?

It's already downloaded 2.7gb for me.

I don't want to leave the ps4 on cause I'm scared it will overheat! I'm away for two days.

Yes the download will continue. Don't worry your PS4 will be fine. As Long as no blackout happens the download should be okay.

Loudninja

Wait you mean the one where you go off track a bit and then your car disintegrates into thin air and then you are rejuvenated onto the race track, and resurrected back into reality again?

Oh shit.....I'm sorry......didn't mean to spoil the ending guys.....
Yeah that was like wow.

Nokterian

To me this racing game does what i needed. Racing nothing more. Fuck narration,fuck tutorial ruining everything before you even start. Also fuck off with tuning,really if i want to do that i will get a sim racer instead. This game is my jam when those servers are up i am gonna wreck beat a lot of times in my friends list for sure!

I love it how it throws you in to the lions den at the beginning. I really like learning circuits and this is challenging to push me farther to be even better. Also the DS4 is amazing with it it just feels right.

I'm shaking a bit. Just did the Munnar rally event which had a thrilling mountain run that was mostly downhill.

Turned the HUD off, played with cockpit view, the sense of speed, location and place was insane. I had to smile when I made a corner and saw the valley stretch out before me.. I'm very impressed.

I love how realistic the lighting is, as dull/drab it may seem at some points.. just like real-life it tends to catch you by surprise as the scene is suddenly transformed. It adds so much to the experience, how superficial that may sound.

It's a shame the replays/weather effects didn't make launch, it probably didn't help reviews. The game deserves more love, just like Destiny does imo.

The driving feels great, I feel like every decision I make carries weight, and I can see myself get better every lap I make. Making a perfect run and not thrashing your car feels very rewarding.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The car is actually a Transformer trying to talk to us. But then noises inside say that it's.....something else entirely........REAPERS?!?!?!?!?!

Again! Sorry for the spoilers, the story is just too goood!

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this game but could you at least use spoiler tags in the future?

HF2014

Reviewers can go fuck themself. Seriously, this game is a blast!!! Gamespot gave it a 5 out of 10? No wonder i dont go to this website for the past 4 months!!

I just love this game!!!

allftw

Neo Member
So here are my impressions after about 2 hours playing the game.

-Handling is superb. It just hits that sweet spot for me between sim and arcade. The cars have the proper weight to them and DS4 works great with the game.
-The game has easily noticable issues with aliasing and IQ but apart from that it's simply stunning. The lighting engine is possibly the best I've ever seen and the time lapse races are amazing to experience. In one of the Norway tracks I honestly couldn't drive properly because of constantly staring at the environments.
-Load times are great, they're barely there.
-The sense of speed in the game is unparalleled.
-Tracks are very well designed and varied.
-I'm not sure how I feel about the penalties. The penalties to collision definitely make sense and encourage you to race clean and look for openings to pass your opponents rather than brute forcing your way through. But the off track penalties seem a bit unnecessary given how tight most tracks already are.
-Sound design is very good and I pretty much like the soundtrack but I'd still appreciate some licensed songs.
-It's hard to judge how well the game will hold up after a few months though with the servers down (which is ridiculous for a release like this). The whole club aspect and the social features really seem to be a big part of the game so if they can keep people interested the game should have a healthy community going for a good while.

Overall I think it's a very good game with solid core mechanics and great visuals though I'll form my final opinion when they fix the servers and I get a sense of how much longevity the game will have.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this game but could you at least use spoiler tags in the future?

No. I can't! Especially when the story is too good! If you don't think so then you can take me on 1v1 in a race on the online portion of Driveclub which is currently not even working and I don't even have the game yet sooooooo.....I win?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Reviewers can go fuck themself. Seriously, this game is a blast!!! Gamespot gave it a 5 out of 10? No wonder i dont go to this website for the past 4 months!!

I just love this game!!!

You should watch their review on Youtube. Boy are they transparent.

btkadams

Is there no paint options aside from these hideous ones you unlock (still at the beginning of the game), or do you unlock the ability for full paint customization?

This is how I've been feeling all day.

Beauty is subjective, sure, but I can't see how anyone could honestly call Driveclub 'ugly as fuck'. They're phenomenal, and with the right lighting, are as close to photorealism as we've ever had on a console.

Either you're exaggerating for effect, in which case you shouldn't mind when people question your statements, or you're trolling.

hey it's like you totally missed the part where I said I find it relatively ugly for all the gushing that's been going on.

There's no need to take that attitude!

Well, there's no need to be such a pansy is there???? JUST TAKE THE CHALLENGE!!! OH WAIT. I ALREADY WON! OHHHHHHHH GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEED SOME WATER FOR THATTTTT BUUUUUURN!!?!?!??!?!?!?

sorry.... XD

but really banana....Canada pls.

I don't think you realize this but this thread is helping me get through AP US History
20 pgs of notes in 1 night
, so hey, keep the pics coming!

Ploid 3.0

Rushy linked to this in regards to the black borders:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/areasettings.html

Yeah, I HATE when racing games include some kind of voice narration. The DIRT games were the worst, absolutely pointless. Really appreciate DriveClub's quick menu navigation and going straight into races.

Yeah it's nice, imagine a fighting game or online competitive shooter. You want to get in those matches and out as fast as possible so you can go back in. The meat is the battles, they keep you coming back for more. A long line just discourages you from playing just one more game, which ends up being more than one.

I'm hooked
Can't wait yo hear the higher powered cars. The low end stuff strikes me as extremely accurate in the sound reproduction department. Can't wait to redline a high reving v12 or throaty v8.

With mp down I'm just powering through the Tour. Lvl 8 now, achieved every goal/trophy attempted thus far.

Dinner time and Netflix with the lady boss, then some barleywine + trees + Driveclub late night.

Seventy70

I really feel like buying the game now since the plus version isnt out yet, but at the same time I'm getting a feeling that they are forcing me.

Boogat

Is there no paint options aside from these hideous ones you unlock (still at the beginning of the game), or do you unlock the ability for full paint customization?

To customize the paint, you need to go into the 'Garage'. Just pick one of the custom presets and you can change whatever you want.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Well, there's no need to be such a pansy is there???? JUST TAKE THE CHALLENGE!!! OH WAIT. I ALREADY WON! OHHHHHHHH GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEED SOME WATER FOR THATTTTT BUUUUUURN!!?!?!??!?!?!?

sorry.... XD

but really banana....Canada pls.

I don't think you realize this but this thread is helping me get through AP US History
20 pgs of notes in 1 night
, so hey, keep the pics coming!

LOL. Thanks sweety.

I think we've taken this as far as it will go :)

It's up on Hong Kong lol.

1x9fugL.jpg

LOL. Thanks sweety.

I think we've taken this as far as it will go :)

XD I do hope you know I'm being sarcastic, because you know....tha intranets are scary and people are kind of.....intellectually slow for a lack of better terms. But hey, you're in a Driveclub thread talking good so you definitely have your head on straight lol

E: HAHAHA! Okay good, didn't see the bottom of your post XD

Why can't I connect to these servers? Why isn't my DLC downloading? Why was the game only a 2.7 gig download? I have a lot of questions. First race was fun though. Any way to roll my windows down in cockpit view? Hate the muted audio.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
XD I do hope you know I'm being sarcastic, because you know....tha intranets are scary and people are kind of.....intellectually slow for a lack of better terms. But hey, you're in a Driveclub thread talking good so you definitely have your head on straight lol

Get outa here ... LOL.

Anyway ... about this waiting when all around are having fun. It pisses me off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom