• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
i_told_you_so_stephen_colbert.gif

Its a good challenge for me, its definitely the most fun. But still, If I'm having trouble with a race it seems I kick more ass in 3rd person, I will keep practising but I feel like I may be more valuable to the club in 3rd person, we shall see. Looks like I will have lots of time to get used to it before servers are back up anyway :p

XJF

What car did you all use to complete the MAPLEWOOD MOTORSPORT PARK TIME TRIAL that's a few events before the Pro Trophy Race?
I tried the SAVAGE but it's just not working out. Need under 56 seconds for a lap and I can't get under 58.128

viveks86

Its a good challenge for me, its definitely the most fun. But still, If I'm having trouble with a race it seems I kick more ass in 3rd person, I will keep practising but I feel like I may be more valuable to the club in 3rd person, we shall see. Looks like I will have lots of time to get used to it before servers are back up anyway :p

Seeing my character steer somehow makes me a lot more responsive. It's weird to explain. I feel like I drive better in that view. Not that I'm a great driver, but at least half decent.

Vroadstar

Wow, I got the game yesterday afternoon and played the hell out of it until 3am the next day.

Shaving those seconds off is so addicting and it doesn't help that the game is gorgeous I kept checking the environments and car details here and there which left me crashing my car

RedAssedApe

Banned
Daniel Bloodworth ‏@dbloodworth2 2m2 minutes ago
So yesterday I recorded a Forza vs Driveclub segment before I knew anyone else's DC review scores. Will be interesting to see reactions.

Daniel Bloodworth ‏@dbloodworth2 2m2 minutes ago
That Forza Horizon 2 vs Driveclub episode goes up on Just Played tomorrow afternoon by the way.

Fully expect a console war thread tomorrow. lol

meanspartan

Has anyone from SONY or the developer made a statement about the missing PS+ version?

With the mediocre game reviews DRIVECLUB has received I'm starting to think they are going to delay releasing the FREE PS+ version until later this month.

That's what I would do if I were Sony because I think a lot of potential buyers are now going to just settle for the FREE PS+ version. Force those people to wait which will lead some to just going ahead with the full game.

I really hope I am wrong.

That would be fucked up as they know we were all expecting it on Plus today. Hell, I was expecting it at launch. Was looking forward to playing a AAA title on Plus instead of the indies we usually get (which is fine, but some AAA would be nice too).

Game is great, having a lot of fun with it. Would be better if the servers could come online at some point though. I think the presentation and menus are great. You float through everything super fast and it just makes sense.

I like that the game is pretty straightforward. I hope the cars they add aren't just supercars, and they add to the other types. And hopefully they will add American and Japanese cars. Also, the lack of a licensed soundtrack is weird, especially since you can't play your own MP3s. The soundtrack can help define a racing game. For instance, I remember playing Burnout Paradise and I would just put Cities in Dust by Junkie XL on blast and repeat it over and over. I never heard that song until I played the game and I loved it. So now I have fond memories of both.

Hope the weather patch comes soon! Also, does anyone know if the weather will affect handling? Will a flooded road make things slippery? I think that could be a nice touch. Especially if it was dynamic, say one lap the road is clear, then another that part is flooded.

Any tips for driving manual? Also, do you let go of accelerate button when you brake?

It's usually best to.

If you're still in the slower cars, they lose a lot of momentum by just letting go of the accelerator. Most of the green flag corners and some yellow I've found you can just let go of the throttle turn into the corner then accelerate through, some of the green you don't need to let go fully of the trigger. Good use of acceleration / deceleration can help your car trip to the track.

Maybe Evo should have putting a training level in the game.

Does anyone wish that (with the free version) you could purchase and download the tracks a la carte? I know we get India for free. If given the option, I would then (at least for the moment) purchase the Norway tracks. Of course, buying all the tracks individually would cost more than buying the full game update, but I would at least like the option.

D23

Having so much fun with this racing game. No bullshit story or cutscenes. Just straight up racing with amazing sound, graphics and beautiful courses. I can't wait till they fix the server and roll out the update.

XJF

I was going to say on here earlier that I cant wait for the DC Just Played from GT. I knew it'd be bloodworth and I knew he'd have a lot of good things to say.

I'm way more interested knowing it's going to be a battle.

Having played the hell out of FH2 this last week (lvl 56) I think FH2 is the best open world racer I've ever played in terms of gameplay and graphically. Having played Driveclub for the last like 9 hours, I feel confident that it's the prettiest circuit racer I've ever played. Given the playstyles and intentions are different, I don't find it fair to directly compare two blatantly different games.

Oh, well. Really need the Servers to go up... So many cars locked by Club level requirements that I can't get! Starting to annoy me :-(

Having so much fun with this racing game. No bullshit story or cutscenes. Just straight up racing with amazing sound, graphics and beautiful courses. I can't wait till they fix the server and roll out the update.

don't see why anyone would care about story in a racing game anyways. not one racing game has ever had a good story.

Just finished the Rookie Trophy.
Man, this game is fantastic.
I see myself getting deep into DC for a long, long time.
Can't wait for the servers to work so the club action can begin.

DirtyLarry

I love the structure of the game. I am all about get in an event and get out.
I also am a huge fan of learning a track and mastering it.
I also picked up the Thrustmaster T80 Wheel last night, and despite it not having force feedback, and being pretty damn bootleg, it is INFINTELY better than a controller, and really does serve its purpose quite well. The fact it only cost me $35 thanks to 3 trade ins really made it a no brainer.

So I am enjoying the game, and I have not even seen any online aspects of it.

With that said, and I know I am about to catch some major, major heat for saying this, but I do think this game could have greatly benefited from a decreased resolution.

The 30 FPS really rears its ugly head in the busier tracks. The big difference between this game and Horizon 2, which the only reason I mention it is it is also 30 FPS and I have also played a decent amount of, is DriveClub since it is event to event, opts for a lot more twists and turns in the track compared to Forza Horizon 2. That is why 30 FPS works in one and not necessarily the other.
Granted It is not every track in DC that suffers, but I definitely felt like 60 FPS would make a WORLD of difference in some of them. No doubt about it.

It is not a deal breaker by any means, but I would have loved to see what the game looked like at a lower resolution with 60 FPS thanks to all of the things that are happening on the tracks and environments themselves.

Go ahead and say what an asshole I am and how wrong I am and it is 1080p or nothing, but seriously, there are some issues with going 30 FPS and having so many twists and turns and things happening in the environment. It is just not silky smooth when all of these aspects happen at once, and when driving at these simulated speeds, it detracts and does not enhance.

Phreak47

Can't be said enough how fucking peerless the lighting in this game is.

I know. Dawn and dusk really look like dawn and dusk. If you read that interview that described the physics and lighting engine, it was mentioned that the lighting even accounts for altitude.

About to go fire this up. Just got home from work. Too bad I have to use the DS4 for a while, because the T300RS wheel is still nowhere to be found/preordered. I would have settled for using my old Logitech but as we all know it isn't supported. I'm not whining though, because the new wheel will be a nice upgrade.

Anyway, at least with the DS4 I can get familiar with the tracks for a bit.

"October", Thrustmaster revealed three weeks ago. It has already been delayed. Hurry up dammit.

ruxtpin

Banned
Not that my thoughts are worth much, but I did platinum and PGR2 and PGR3 back in the day (gotta toot my own horn). My complaints at the moment aren't the lack of weather, it's the fact that you can release a racing game without a replay feature. I like the "feel" of the racing, still learning but it's different from NFS, so I think that's a plus. And the paint thing is a little odd. I don't dabble too much in car customization, but I like having the option to quickly choose multiple colors - here I have to punch out to the garage to select a paint for my car (even if all I want is just a one tone scheme). And music seems to be... Nonexistent. Minor shit, but that's what bugs me right now.

XJF

My complaints at the moment aren't the lack of weather, it's the fact that you can release a racing game without a replay feature.

Like the "rewind" function in Forza games or a legit Replay theater to watch your old races? If the latter you could always just use the Share button and record it?

ruxtpin

Banned
Like the "rewind" function in Forza games or a legit Replay theater to watch your old races? If the latter you could always just use the Share button and record it?

The second. I like saving good races and then re watching from the different angles.

dano1

A Sheep
Not that my thoughts are worth much, but I did platinum and PGR2 and PGR3 back in the day (gotta toot my own horn). My complaints at the moment aren't the lack of weather, it's the fact that you can release a racing game without a replay feature. I like the "feel" of the racing, still learning but it's different from NFS, so I think that's a plus. And the paint thing is a little odd. I don't dabble too much in car customization, but I like having the option to quickly choose multiple colors - here I have to punch out to the garage to select a paint for my car (even if all I want is just a one tone scheme). And music seems to be... Nonexistent. Minor shit, but that's what bugs me right now.

Replay will be patched in later. Music must be turned on in the options. Default is off.

XJF

The second. I like saving good races and then re watching from the different angles.

Gotcha. The biggest shock for me is instinctively hitting triangle to try and rewind after I mess up lol Still doing it 9 hours later...

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I just played this shit from 8:00am to 9:00pm basically lol. Longest gaming sesh I've had in so long. Such a fun game. Races are getting freakin tough now. Lvl 23 and I've got like 120 stars. Wish I could of played online today but all well I get at it tomorrow. So many great tracks in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom