• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

impact

Banned
My brother is at home playing the game and texting me... says he isn't all that impressed by the visuals? He's pretty casual, but what's the final verdict on the graphics from those who have played? I've seen all the pre-release .gifs and they look unreal but it's hard to tell what the final quality is without having played it.

Genuinely curious as to what people think of the final visuals.

Best looking game on PS4 or at the very least on par with Infamous. Certain levels look waaaaaaaaaay better than others though. The lighting is amazing at times.

My brother is at home playing the game and texting me... says he isn't all that impressed by the visuals? He's pretty casual, but what's the final verdict on the graphics from those who have played? I've seen all the pre-release .gifs and they look unreal but it's hard to tell what the final quality is without having played it.

First race isn't the best looking in terms of lighting, track and scenery. As you play and unlock the other locations and lighting becomes much better. Because of the real time dynamic lighting some scenes may look better than others depending on location and lighting conditions, which is probably why some have said the graphics are inconsistent. It looks great, and more importantly it plays spectacular. The more I play it the more I love it.

Hoje0308

Banned
Funny seeing people think like a day of broken servers is unprecedented for aaa release.

Bitch please, I was THERE for the Sim City launch. Those scars never heal

Yeah, but not only are the servers down, the Plus version is nowhere to be seen and the mobile app was pulled before a lot of us even realized it was available. It's been a colossal fuck up on Sony's part.
And poor Evo has to deal with another bad launch. That's too bad, as I rate them highly and hope they're successful with this IP.

RoKKeR

Best looking game on PS4 or at the very least on par with Infamous. Certain levels look waaaaaaaaaay better than others though. The lighting is amazing at times.

First race isn't the best looking in terms of lighting, track and scenery. As you play and unlock the other locations and lighting becomes much better. Because of the real time dynamic lighting some scenes may look better than others depending on location and lighting conditions, which is probably why some have said the graphics are inconsistent. It looks great, and more importantly it plays spectacular. The more I play it the more I love it.
This is what I sort of assumed... the way the lighting works is you get some things that look incredible (twilight on snow levels, per some gifs) and others where it's just flat. Seems like the attention to detail is there but it maybe isn't consistent?

I'll be home in about a week to see for myself but was surprised at his negative initial impressions.

MavFan619

Banned

The visuals are pretty damn amazing as some have said it's especially apparent on certain tracks and time of day how good the lighting and the little details are. One of my favorite things is going to a random track and changing time, and cloudiness and just how much it almost feels like a different track each time at least in appearance but in a good way.

Been playing it a bit more and ran into some better looking levels. Still stand by my earlier statement that some of the other areas I played were ugly ( Go ahead and play Loch Duich and check out the power lines compared to other courses. They are horrific compared to other ones, bullshit my tv is not calibrated right)

visuals are generally good, but...

trippy tree-waving in wind (whole trunk ripples)
you do NOT want to stop and get too close looks at the trackside crowds...
plastic bag is annoying after you see it 16 times
brake lights on AI cars are almost invisible (just get brighter red, no glow or anything real)
blue and white balloons release looks like someone was a bit too proud of some cute code.
softening the picture in your tv covers up some distracting aliasing on distant high contrast lines.

those huge vistas around the tracks are impressive, if entirely passive decor, but i keep thinking they should have been lower on the game feature priority list.

managed to go online a little bit yesterday, some tidbit regarding the social aspect

every event had their own leaderboard, if you play a time trial events, it will load 3 other ghost racing alongside you, from what I can tell, they're

-your best ghost if you've played the events before
-top ghost in your friends's leaderboard
-closest ghost in your friendlist (I think, not really sure about this one)

pressing down on the main menu will bring the social notification that post everything your friends fo, like I can see Viveks inviting player to his club, you can see other player profile and see everything he's done too, like what event he played, if he post challenge etc.

I think it's a pretty cool system.

chris121580

Not really, you just have to reset that particular round you're in instead of resetting the championship. It gives you the choice to do so when you hit reset in the level you're in.
Oh man, thanks for this! I now have no complaints. I've put in tons of time in Forza 2 already and played this all evening. Both are must owns if you have both systems. It's a great time to be a racing game fan!

Just had fun playing,I really hope there are more maps like the one in chile where you constantly are able to go all out speeding not have to worry about a lot of corners.

Hawk269

This is what I sort of assumed... the way the lighting works is you get some things that look incredible (twilight on snow levels, per some gifs) and others where it's just flat. Seems like the attention to detail is there but it maybe isn't consistent?

I'll be home in about a week to see for myself but was surprised at his negative initial impressions.

It is like in Forza Horizon 2 and it's dynamic lighting system. You can be in the same location at different times of day and during certain times it does not look as good as other times based on the lighting etc. I have seen some videos of DC where it is very impressive and then watch the same video's at a different lighting and it did not look that great. But I am ok with this as to me it does add a sense of variety to the courses.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Drivers who race these cars in real life do not ram into each other like it's Speed Racer.
Does anyone actually do this? Setup courses on random roadways around the world to legitimately pit a dozen supercars against each other in head-to-head races? It's not exactly the norm for real life racing, is it?

And that's the real oddity of this game -- they've put so much obvious passion into representing the cars and scenes realistically, and yet the AI drivers do not behave in a real way at all. They drive like they were coded to emulate bad online drivers.
In what way is it an "oddity" for a videogame to take liberties with realism? Isn't a large portion of the appeal of videogames that they do just that?

Bebpo

Banned
+Decently pretty, night/day changing and lighting effects are neat though it can be hard to see when sun is in your eyes
+Tracks are pretty cool, some nice cliff rides
+Handling is ok, it's more arcade than Forza Horizon 1, less arcade than PGR. Still gotta do a ton of braking vs. powersliding. Kind of a bummer, wanted more arcade PGR handling
+Sound is ok, I never noticed how much I miss the clickclickclickclick in PGR when gaining XP; you gain it in Driveclub but there's no sound
+Seems like enough cars & tracks to at least keep me busy for a few weeks. More than PGR3, fewer than PGR4
+Load times are really short for a racer
+Like the idea of using colored flags at corners to indicate degree of turn coming up. I hate staring at the mini-map while driving and racing lines are ugly. Being able to keep eyes on track and adjust speed is nice.

-NO REPLAYS
-NO PHOTO MODE
-Game really needed weather at launch to mix up the variety even more
-Kind of barebones. The Career mode feels like Gran Turismo without the car buying/maintenance aspect. Game definitely feels GT inspired in Presentation (which is a bad thing imo because GT has shit presentation)

Fun so far but I'll probably hold off on playing it until weather patch is out. Is Photo Mode going to be patched in? That's something I really enjoy in racers.

aro52

None of my fame going towards my club is kinda killing my buzz to keep playing.

Gonna go do my daily Destiny public events and bounties, and check back later.

VanWinkle

I'm going through some old Driveclub footage, and my goodness, this game looked ROUGH back at E3 2013. Remember that? I remember watching that for the first time and thinking, "uhhh....what." It's come a long way.

The interesting thing about a game like this that has had a year long delay is that you can really see how much it progresses throughout the dev cycle.

+Decently pretty, night/day changing and lighting effects are neat though it can be hard to see when sun is in your eyes
+Tracks are pretty cool, some nice cliff rides
+Handling is ok, it's more arcade than Forza Horizon 1, less arcade than PGR. Still gotta do a ton of braking vs. powersliding. Kind of a bummer, wanted more arcade PGR handling
+Sound is ok, I never noticed how much I miss the clickclickclickclick in PGR when gaining XP; you gain it in Driveclub but there's no sound
+Seems like enough cars & tracks to at least keep me busy for a few weeks. More than PGR3, fewer than PGR4
+Load times are really short for a racer
+Like the idea of using colored flags at corners to indicate degree of turn coming up. I hate staring at the mini-map while driving and racing lines are ugly. Being able to keep eyes on track and adjust speed is nice.

-NO REPLAYS
-NO PHOTO MODE
-Game really needed weather at launch to mix up the variety even more
-Kind of barebones. The Career mode feels like Gran Turismo without the car buying/maintenance aspect. Game definitely feels GT inspired in Presentation (which is a bad thing imo because GT has shit presentation)

Fun so far but I'll probably hold off on playing it until weather patch is out. Is Photo Mode going to be patched in? That's something I really enjoy in racers.

Replays confirmed to be coming
Photo mode is also confirmed to be coming
Weather is coming- this will be awesome with this lighting system

what driver level are you guys?
i am lvl 22 and its starting to need throttle modulation.
the bentley gt on that tiny night telescope course was a bitch. They must love this car, but when i see it i think why is this barge licensed and not a single ford ..

Bebpo

Banned
Does the game currently include that "final layer of AA" that was going to be patched in at launch? Or is that still coming?

Replays confirmed to be coming
Photo mode is also confirmed to be coming
Weather is coming- this will be awesome with this lighting system

Good to hear. Just seems like another case like Destiny where the game will be a better game in a year, so it's questionable whether it should have launched now or when it was ready.

It is like in Forza Horizon 2 and it's dynamic lighting system. You can be in the same location at different times of day and during certain times it does not look as good as other times based on the lighting etc. I have seen some videos of DC where it is very impressive and then watch the same video's at a different lighting and it did not look that great. But I am ok with this as to me it does add a sense of variety to the courses.

This is the downside of real time global lighting. However it looks freaking great in certain situations. Once the weather its it will be like a new game. Can't wait.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
This game is a lot like PGR4 and thats a very good thing.

Unfortunately cant get on servers all day. Level 11 with all stars up until rookie cup at this point. Hope I can get active in this thread and find a club.

Maybe Evolution can do a Sim/Arcade toggle for AI aggressiveness in an update. There's four difficulty settings, but I assume that will adjust finishing times too.

That would be ideal. Though I don't see them doing it because they expect people to play online (ha ha) most of the time.

Does anyone actually do this? Setup courses on random roadways around the world to legitimately pit a dozen supercars against each other in head-to-head races? It's not exactly the norm for real life racing, is it?

"Random roadways" no, but there are semi-pro and pro leagues which race some of the supercars and more modest cars in this game.

sneaky77

From the little I had time to play this game is great, I didn't notice lack of replays until reading thru here.
Is what I was hoping for, a modern version of PGR style game. Shame the servers are awful aparently.

saunderez

This game is a lot like PGR4 and thats a very good thing.

Unfortunately cant get on servers all day. Level 11 with all stars up until rookie cup at this point. Hope I can get active in this thread and find a club.
Yeah I'm waiting it out too. I need that club unlocked Volkswagen to make the VW races a bit easier. Beetle sucks.

So I don't get it. When I go to Driveclub's game page on the PSN store, it says "Tell me more" where it should allow you to buy the game. When I click on it, it says I'm not able to purchase it because I already have PS+. What's going on?

aro52

So I don't get it. When I go to Driveclub's game page on the PSN store, it says "Tell me more" where it should allow you to buy the game. When I click on it, it says I'm not able to purchase it because I already have PS+. What's going on?

Buy the upgrade. It's a separate listing.

EDIT: This one.

negitoro7

Has Evolution mentioned anything about the servers being down? Seems a bit ridiculous that I haven't been able to get on at all since release.

Buy the upgrade. It's a separate listing.

So the only reason it's saying that is because the PS+ version isn't up yet? Eh, I'll wait until I'm able to buy it, but I still want to try it out.

Edit: Thanks for clearifying. I guess I'll just have to wait some more.

Dominator

So is there a downside to doing the Tour while I'm not in a club? I want to continue but I don't want to not be able to acquire some things cause I'm not in a club.

BrandonS

Banned
Why the fuck this awesome game breaking Sony's servers I thought only hardcore racing gamers bought it!

Wait for the sales figures to see if the servers were *actually* crashed by players.. I highly doubt it. It's just a shit-ass launch like Sim City or Diablo 3

aro52

So the only reason it's saying that is because the PS+ version isn't up yet? Eh, I'll wait until I'm able to buy it, but I still want to try it out.

Edit: Thanks for clearifying. I guess I'll just have to wait some more.

Pretty sure you can just buy that $50 version, and have the full game now. I don't think the PS+ free version is necessary...

They're the same file size.

VanWinkle

Man, I'm looking through old Driveclub stuff, and I can't help thinking the image quality in the final game just does no justice to the amount of detail they've put in the world. You can see, for example, the detail of the cars in the supersampled shots they've released in the past, like:

ihsDD8l.jpg

9x4LqkP.jpg

GdGndZG.jpg

TZLhpGo.jpg

9009615621_bf10837257_h.jpg

And you never could tell that so much microscopic detail went into the cars. It kind of makes me sad honestly. I mean, you look at a game like Infamous SS, and they kept releasing supersampled shots and it was annoying because you figure that must mean the image quality in game must have be too great, but then the real time gameplay did complete justice to those early shots. It isn't the case here. I know, I haven't technically played the game, but just comparing screenshots to screenshots, and the gamersyde videos and things, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of the IQ.

Sorry guys. I don't know, maybe it's this PS+ Edition delay bringing me down, but I'm feeling sad, lol.

Pretty sure you can just buy that $50 version, and have the full game now. I don't think the PS+ free version is necessary...

I mean I'm almost completely broke. Between gas, food, and games, games can wait. I still want something new to play, so thank PS+ for the other games! But I was really looking forward to playing Driveclub today.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Thank Christ I'm not getting this until Friday. It should be a pretty smooth operation. Giant Bomb gave this game 2/5 and I've been watching Twitch streams on my PS4. Dear God, how can you be THAT wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom