• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

Not that my thoughts are worth much, but I did platinum and PGR2 and PGR3 back in the day (gotta toot my own horn). My complaints at the moment aren't the lack of weather, it's the fact that you can release a racing game without a replay feature. I like the "feel" of the racing, still learning but it's different from NFS, so I think that's a plus. And the paint thing is a little odd. I don't dabble too much in car customization, but I like having the option to quickly choose multiple colors - here I have to punch out to the garage to select a paint for my car (even if all I want is just a one tone scheme). And music seems to be... Nonexistent. Minor shit, but that's what bugs me right now.

In-race music volume defaults to 0.

Feels good beating that 1:46 challenge in the VW.
Just did that ten seconds ago.

I am in fucking love with these courses. The hot hatch India championship felt like rally craziness - just pure top speed juking and weaving, picking up positions one by one until you speed past that checkered strip.

Good shit. Play this game and play it LOUD.

Can't be said enough how fucking peerless the lighting in this game is.

It is really amazing to me. All of the different times and environments have very realistic lighting. It is what i am most excited for in this game.

Evolution is like the Willy Wonka of lighting.

The-snozberries-taste-like-snozberries.jpg

I got background music to work. I simply created a new PSN account and signed up for a 30 day music unlimited trial and then I switched users on the PS4 and the music kept playing.

GodofWine

I just hit level 6 when you get a sports car...OMG AT 140mph shit gets CRAZY...i think my hands are shaking...

Its stunning as well...5 out of 10 from Gamespot should he considered slander...

I need to drop my heart rate so i can sleep lol...this is motorstorm as a road racer.

Bravo...hang in there ps+ holdouts, it'll be worth it

Its a good challenge for me, its definitely the most fun. But still, If I'm having trouble with a race it seems I kick more ass in 3rd person, I will keep practising but I feel like I may be more valuable to the club in 3rd person, we shall see. Looks like I will have lots of time to get used to it before servers are back up anyway :p

Yeah cockpit view is TOO real. Hard as fuck! The more I play the more I wish I could use my wheel... :(

viveks86

Just did that ten seconds ago.

I am in fucking love with these courses. The hot hatch India championship felt like rally craziness - just pure top speed juking and weaving, picking up positions one by one until you speed past that checkered strip.

Good shit. Play this game and play it LOUD.

Truth! Track design in India is my favorite so far! Just so... white knuckle!

Jimrpg

I got up at 5:30am to play it this morning to give it a shot, was able to download three tracks, Nilgiri Hills, Bandipur and the track circuit (forgot the name) and played about an hour.

Quick impressions (will do a blog post with further impressions later) - handling is really arcadey and fun, very forgiving in the Mercedes AMG (the first car), you can adjust your line without losing that much speed. Feels pretty grippy just like Forza, you can tell when you're about to lose the car. The faceoff challenges within the race are fun, the fame points are pure PGR, the menus are functional, game is very pretty but nothing mindblowing yet like the screenshots in this thread. Funny there's no talk of 30fps/60fps, because this game FEELS great. Feels smoother than GT5 (that's the last GT I played).

This game is the best of PGR and Motorstorm. Its basically Motorstorm track scenery (so far) switched out with real cars, with PGR globe trotting in rural areas and kudos/fame points. If you like those games you'll like this. Besides its not like you have much of a choice in racers on the PS4. I'm so glad to have a racer finally on my current gen system.

I don't feel so at all. Because from my play time, sometimes that sort of thing happens, and sometimes it doesn't. But knowing that it can happen, and that it's the computer playing uncharacteristically aggressive compared to other racers, it feels positively alive. I mean they're not literally playing like some destruction derby game, they're not reckless all the time. But sometimes they are, and sometimes they are not, and the level of unpredictability with the A.I. - which is to say, the strategy seems to shift in a way that seems positively progressive compared to most racing game A.I. - is actually what I find most appealing.

In all honesty, I can find some merit with a lot of the complaints that have been reasonably stated (despite disagreeing with most of them), but the A.I. complaints really specifically seem bizarre. This is some truly fantastic A.I. at a level most racing games don't even touch frankly. I'm a little confused at all as to how this became a negative, with my only theory being most people aren't familiar with A.I. that doesn't just rubberband itself to competitiveness. In DriveClub, the racers are fighting tooth and claw for position, and you always feel the heat and for me it never feels cheap.

I just really disagree with all of that, and that's fine. I mean, I see where you're coming from, but you see the AI's chaotic and violent behavior as "alive" and competitive, and I see it as a real detriment. Cheap and sloppy. I think an AI that slams into you from behind on purpose is not an AI that is racing competitively and realistically. Hitting a car is basically you giving up because you're not driving better than your opponent. Drivers who race these cars in real life do not ram into each other like it's Speed Racer. At least the Mach 5 has defensive and offensive capabilities, and it's a fantasy.

And that's the real oddity of this game -- they've put so much obvious passion into representing the cars and scenes realistically, and yet the AI drivers do not behave in a real way at all. They drive like they were coded to emulate bad online drivers.

Alright, in case anyone missed my photos here's the links to the full albums for each locale

Scotland (Dawn) - http://minus.com/mDTFIVCDlUqfb

Canada (Midday) Part 1 - http://minus.com/mqHmNlpPHbr2a

Canada (Midday) Part 2 - http://minus.com/mtq2bvIu7kEWH

Norway (Dusk) - http://minus.com/mtRkI67aQhGLR

India (Late day) - http://minus.com/mbmVd0brdpHkXy

Chile (Dusk) - http://minus.com/mMLfO9DgsbK8n

My favourite of the bunch I think

iRzQ5GR5ajhwf.jpg

I'm done with the photos for now. Enjoy

Obama-Wiping-Brow.jpg

Great job Banana.

Jimrpg

It is really amazing to me. All of the different times and environments have very realistic lighting. It is what i am most excited for in this game.

Evolution is like the Willy Wonka of lighting.

The-snozberries-taste-like-snozberries.jpg

Yep I love this feature, can't believe it took till 2014.

I'm having a lot of fun just in single race and playing around with all the time of day settings and weather settings. This feature fucking amazing (and I've only played India). Apologies to any PC master race people who have had real lighting for years and years.

Vroadstar

Replay will be patched in later. Music must be turned on in the options. Default is off.

Are you sure? because this is one feature I would like EVO to add the most.

I love watching how I did after a race and of course because of the graphics being top notch enjoying every little detail you might have missed while racing.

florin3k3

Convinced my wife to let me get the game today (yeah, I know)

I was a little hesitant reading some of the "professional" reviews but decided to trust the mostly positive impressions in this thread instead.
Really liking the game so far. Handling is nice. Not too sim but enough to be challenging especially with the faster cars.
Graphics are amazing. Initially I was a little disappointed by the jaggies but realized I was a little too close to my tv (5 ft from my 55"). Once I moved back a few feet, the image looked pretty much like I've been seeing on gag these past weeks...perfect.
Sense of speed is spot on.
Have only played a few tracks and tried like 3 cars but been having fun. My wife even asked me to let her have a go.
Can't wait to try some MP races.
It's not perfect but it's the kind of racing game I've been waiting for.
Negatives would be:
car selection
Sometimes it's hard to tell where track is going
Bumper cars with AI but could be from driving too aggressive.

I would say 8.5-9/10 right now
Will drive some more to make a better assessment

Jimrpg

I just really disagree with all of that, and that's fine. I mean, I see where you're coming from, but you see the AI's chaotic and violent behavior as "alive" and competitive, and I see it as a real detriment. Cheap and sloppy. I think an AI that slams into you from behind on purpose is not an AI that is racing competitively and realistically. Hitting a car is basically you giving up because you're not driving better than your opponent. Drivers who race these cars in real life do not ram into each other like it's Speed Racer. At least the Mach 5 has defensive and offensive capabilities, and plus it's a fantasy.

And that's the real oddity of this game -- they've put so much obvious passion into representing the cars and scenes realistically, and yet the AI drivers do not behave in a real way at all.

I would rather AI be a little bit aggressive than that passive nonsense in Gran Turismo where they just follow the racing line around the track.

But... opinions..

MDSLKTR

After a couple hours of play: it plays like motorstorm with a rally car and it's spectacular. The way the lighting changes at night in the first mountain race is the most beautiful thing I ever saw on ps4 so far.

Jimrpg

After a couple hours of play: it plays like motorstorm with a rally car and it's spectacular. The way the lighting changes at night in the first mountain race is the most beautiful thing I ever saw on ps4 so far.

Pretty much what I was thinking. The AI behaves similarly too. The pushing and shoving is just like Motorstorm. Just missing the crazy slow mo crashes.

I would rather AI be a little bit aggressive than that passive nonsense in Gran Turismo where they just follow the racing line around the track.

But... opinions..

Yeah, I think 'opinions' are unavoidable when this game is riding a fine line between an arcade racer and a sim. I imagine people who want a more arcade-y experience are fine with the AI's dirty tactics, and people who enjoy Gran Turismo like me, not so much.

Regardless of my disappointment with the AI, I definitely plan on picking this up when I get a PS4.

maneil99

Maybe it's me but these screenshots don't look that good. Maybe the Photo mode doesn't add as much as Forza Horizon 2's

shandy706

These make me really look forward to seeing what can be done in photo-mode. The vanilla captures are really rough to look at when I go full size. Looks great quoted though.

Edit** Went through the ton of shots in the post just above.

It all looks very blurry (I'm talking textures, not IQ). Norway looks great in motion...stills...back to looking muddy and rough. It seems every still shot in the albums is not so hot at full screen.

Maybe it's me but these screenshots don't look that good. Maybe the Photo mode doesn't add as much as Forza Horizon 2's

There is no photo-mode yet. Also, FH2 doesn't really add/change much...at default. You can change a lot if you alter the camera settings, but what you get in a vanilla photo-mode shot is darn near what you get in gameplay.

Dominator

The only thing I don't like about the AI hitting you from the back is that you lose points when they hit you. That shouldn't happen as you didn't do anything.

There's no photo mode yet - these screens are all raw gameplay stills

Also the India ones are probably the worst of the bunch, I'm quite happy with how the Norway and Chile screens look

XJF

I just do those clean laps from last place and take my sweet ass time.

It was the last race of a championship and the other challenge was to finish in Top 2 that race. Didn't feel like repeating the whole championship just to redo a clean lap.

there are a lot of hidden assists, all the way up to and past the RUF cars, no way can you put two wheels into the gravel going around a hard corner and not stack it into the wall in real life.

there is also much bias built into the car going in the right direction, and you can use the poor AI cars as bumpers if you hit them sideways you dont even get a penalty but even if you do, there isnt a time / engine penalty, as there is for cutting corners.

so they would have us believe many people are connected ok and the server issue affects only a portion? i call b.s on that..

to win at drifting its best to use manual gearbox and the more acute the angle the larger the drift points. Its harder than the other challenges though, i think because the precision needed to enter and exit the drift is essily upset by the assists designed to make it easy.

if you get bored with time trials and races try going for the trophy you get by coming 1st in a race with 12 cars and no points deducted for hitting any of them ;) that was quite hard and a change of driving style.

Keihart

The game is really addicting, this is the most close to a initial D i have felt in a racing game, it's no as arcadey as the initial D games but yet not as sim as GT making drifts unpractical most of the time, i can't wait to play online, but in the meantime the AI seems to get better and better as the difficulty rises, they don't simply give you the spots , they fight for them triying to block you and stuff.

Day night cycle with this lighting it's amazing, can't wait for storms and maybe some tighter tracks on the DLC, i really hope the secret location it's japan.

The OST is kinda really good, but not that much variety :C

I'm so giddy to play this game against friends, hurry with the servers EVO/SONY ! ...pls.

RoKKeR

My brother is at home playing the game and texting me... says he isn't all that impressed by the visuals? He's pretty casual, but what's the final verdict on the graphics from those who have played? I've seen all the pre-release .gifs and they look unreal but it's hard to tell what the final quality is without having played it.

Genuinely curious as to what people think of the final visuals.

Vroadstar

The screenshots doesn't give the game justice.

I had so many WTF moments while racing I kept crashing my car. I think one of those is a track in India where the the sun is shining while I was racing and it's really a jaw drop moment for me.

Also there is no photo mode as of this time....

Jimrpg

Yeah, I think 'opinions' are unavoidable when this game is riding a fine line between an arcade racer and a sim. I imagine people who want a more arcade-y experience are fine with the AI's dirty tactics, and people who enjoy Gran Turismo like me, not so much.

Regardless of my disappointment with the AI, I definitely plan on picking this up when I get a PS4.

Maybe Evolution can do a Sim/Arcade toggle for AI aggressiveness in an update. There's four difficulty settings, but I assume that will adjust finishing times too.

hwy_61

Banned
My brother is at home playing the game and texting me... says he isn't all that impressed by the visuals? He's pretty casual, but what's the final verdict on the graphics from those who have played? I've seen all the pre-release .gifs and they look unreal but it's hard to tell what the final quality is without having played it.

Genuinely curious as to what people think of the final visuals.

Its aiight.

Honest answer: I don't have first hand impressions, but you can see in the many many videos that have been out how impressive the reflection shit is. The cockpit view it probably the best modeled cockpit view I've ever seen. The attention to detail on the cars themselves is pretty amazing.

The visuals grow on you. they don't look as good as the gifs at first but then it depends on where you're playing and what time of day it is. It looks good when you really look at it. The color pallete is realistic. The game looks kind of.. idk.. blurry at times?? It's hard to explain as it does look incredible at times though.

Anyway I prefer playing with no OSD.

Kemal86

I'm guessing as someone whose favorite racing game is Burnout Paradise, I probably won't like this game much? I enjoyed Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 and loved Need for Speed Rivals as well. I just generally don't play many racing games. Seems like in the past (PS2-ish era) any racing game I'd play, I'd spend the entire race spun out or stuck up against a railing. I tried the demo for Forza Horizon 1 a couple years ago and hated it. I also utterly despise rubber-banding AI (which is why I hated NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 and sadly Mario Kart as well).

Sure wish that PS+ Edition would post so I could actually try it out.

I don't get it. I have the Canadian PSN but for some reason the PS+ free version still isn't showing up for me. The store has been updated with the new + games of the month and everything.

What gives??

Funny seeing people think like a day of broken servers is unprecedented for aaa release.

Bitch please, I was THERE for the Sim City launch. Those scars never heal

Anhkow

Played a few hours and I'm definitely enjoying the driving (somewhere right between sim and arcade). I need a break though, that force feedback on my wheel is killing my arms lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom