• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm waiting it out too. I need that club unlocked Volkswagen to make the VW races a bit easier. Beetle sucks.

But holy cow is it gratifying once you complete all the goals.

I like that when I first started playing I'd choose the Mini nearly every time. It's fast but handles well and you dont get much drift....meaning the car stayed on the track more. But as I learned the mechanics I use the real "drifty" cars more often because you can really attack the corners. Again, not sure what game the reviewers got because the one I'm playing wasn't it. I actually want to progress through the cars, not because I want some super badass ride, but because they all feel so different. That's how you build a racing a game.

ftaM6Fu.jpg

Finished the first section of the single player trials, now I'm gonna call it a night, gotta get that 100% completion :p. Sad the servers have been down all day though, really looking forward to the multiplayer.

Man, this is the racing game I've been wanting. I'm tired of all the racing games going open world, jump this, crash into that nonsense.
It seems, that is what everyone wants out of racers anymore or it gets bad reviews. Kind of ridiculous honestly. I'm having a blast on single player alone, but clearly the multiplayer is gonna be where the real fun is.
Everyone having doubts about this game, just from reviews, needs to ignore that shit and at least download the free version(when it's available) that they are offering. There is no reason not to.

viveks86

So… Thought I'll take the spykar out for a whirl, just for kicks. The sense of speed is insane! And that's just a performance car! It's gonna take me a long time to tame these beasts. O_O

Okay holy shit just got to level 8, this game as a shoot'em up addicting feel to it where you want to keep improving yourself. Plus the game is damn hard, not cheap hard more like if you want to win semi-pro+ you need to get good.

This is literally one of the best racing games I have played in a while.

Thank Christ I'm not getting this until Friday. It should be a pretty smooth operation. Giant Bomb gave this game 2/5 and I've been watching Twitch streams on my PS4. Dear God, how can you be THAT wrong?

Yeah, I was kinda shocked, but you have to remember reviews are just someone's opinion. Some people will like the game, some others won't.

chris121580

Nope, you got boned out of $10. Good luck getting that fixed. The discounted version wasn't even available until mid-day.
I'm not even going to bother to try getting the 10 bucks back. Probably lots of hoops to jump through and I'm very satisfied with my purchase

So is there a downside to doing the Tour while I'm not in a club? I want to continue but I don't want to not be able to acquire some things cause I'm not in a club.

No. When you get a club you'll rank it up separately and be able to get those cars too. You can always go back and do certain races, so continue on my friend.

If anything its a good way to make you want to go back after you beat the tour

Does the game currently include that "final layer of AA" that was going to be patched in at launch? Or is that still coming?

Good to hear. Just seems like another case like Destiny where the game will be a better game in a year, so it's questionable whether it should have launched now or when it was ready.

The game was already delayed for almost year and they probably wanted racer close to the release of Forza Horizon. The have plenty of dlc both free and paid for the game coming.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yep. Sad, sad journalism.
I dunno, Jeff's quicklook was pretty good at laying out all his issues pretty eloquently in real time. And when was opinion supposed to be journalism?

But holy cow is it gratifying once you complete all the goals.

I like that when I first started playing I'd choose the Mini nearly every time. It's fast but handles well and you dont get much drift....meaning the car stayed on the track more. But as I learned the mechanics I use the real "drifty" cars more often because you can really attack the corners. Again, not sure what game the reviewers got because the one I'm playing wasn't it. I actually want to progress through the cars, not because I want some super badass ride, but because they all feel so different. That's how you build a racing a game.

Funny early in the game I am actually getting best times in the Beetle.

Codeblew

Been playing it a bit more and ran into some better looking levels. Still stand by my earlier statement that some of the other areas I played were ugly ( Go ahead and play Loch Duich and check out the power lines compared to other courses. They are horrific compared to other ones, bullshit my tv is not calibrated right)

You admitted you had your sharpness set to 10. That alone means your TV is not calibrated for gaming. Who knows what other image destroying crap you have turned on. You should look up calibration settings for your TV model.

Well there's going to be layoffs regardless, the project is over :p The inevitable thread will be hilarious.

Pretty much, as they shift into DLC mode I'm sure there'll be at least some layoffs. Whether or not it makes news, but would hardly be surprising.

Really hope these guys do well with their next game though, horrible luck with the timing of the last Motorstorm.

You admitted you had your sharpness set to 10. That alone means your TV is not calibrated for gaming. .

That isn't true.
My SONY tv has a GAME mode you can pick per HDMI input, where all the picture futzing options such as "noise reduction" are unavailable EXCEPT for sharpening. At a guess, 50 is normal, more than 50 is extra sharp, and less than 50 is softening.

You admitted you had your sharpness set to 10. That alone means your TV is not calibrated for gaming. Who knows what other image destroying crap you have turned on. You should look up calibration settings for your TV model.

I don't know about you guys but if I have to check on power lines in a game where I must be racing, something must be wrong.

I can't recall a time when Jeff from GB said "man, I really wish DC was like this game" he said he thinks the racing in the game is poor. Not sure how that relates to Forza.

You are on the East Coast Neuromancer? When I pick up the game next week, I'll make a club with you.
Ah thanks, I was really more remarking on servers being down so I can't start a club. I think I've already got a full crew lined up, but if they fall through I'll let you know!

Phreak47

Now for my fully-qualified-because-I-just-played-for-an-hour opinion:

I understand the lukewarm reviews, but I don't care. I actually LIKE that it's sort of lean and mean in areas. "User experience" shouldn't be underrated though. They get that right... the uncluttered presentation, the fast load times, etc. It's all done really well. I would have chosen more sim-like driving physics, but there's enough of it there.

The eventual onslaught of added content is also going to fill in much of the "lean" over time.

I just need that T300RS.

Oneself

I sincerly hope this game will sell a lot. Just like Evolution's past efforts, it's an amazing game. My GOTY so far, pure racing goodness. Man, going downhill in that game feels almost scary.

I'm not trolling in any way, but that last one looks really bad. It looks fake.

That last one is a frame grab with the sunlight from behind and two garishly coloured cars and a particularly barren chunk of track. There are plenty of other shots that show the opposite, and if you race this particular car on this particular track, even when driving this part you don't think OMG so fake, it fits with the time of day, sky, position of camera, etc.

Guys, relax. Evolution is going to be fine. They are not the first studio to *gasp* hit a 72 metacritic for their game.

It's a shocking 5 points below Motorstorm Apocalypse's 77, a game they had 3 cracks at perfecting. This is a new type of game for them on a brand new system, nothing wrong with the scores they got. It's a great place to build from.

Quantic Dream is doing fine and well after Beyond's 70 metacritic. Guerilla is hard at work on their new IP after the 73 metacritic for Killzone.

The game will sell well enough as it's a racing game on a system desperately lacking them. And it's clear they aren't after sales goals since there's a PS+ offering coming.

Let's all just enjoy some driving :)

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I, would really like to play a race online right now. Has it been up at all today?
Actually, where's the iOS and Android app?

Why?

Critic score distribution:
Positive: 30 out of 46
Mixed: 15 out of 46
Negative: 1 out of 46 <--- giant bomb

I am not sure why so many people think the game is reviewing bad. Its in the mid 70s average. Since when is 74 average out of 46 bad? For reference Forza M 5 is averaging 79. For new racing ip it isn't bad at all. And there is the free plus version which I am sure will help with sales. I know a lot of people on my friends list bought the game and not all of them are from the Driveclub-gaf account. I think the game will sell just fine. We better get a motorstorm with this engine!

I sincerly hope this game will sell a lot. Just like Evolution's past efforts, it's an amazing game. My GOTY so far, pure racing goodness. Man, going downhill in that game feels almost scary.

Arg... I neeeeed this game :( I love everything Evolution studios, I know this is right up my alley.

I think I'll cave and just buy it. I'll argue the excuse to myself "my brother and I can both play it, so therefore it's only like... $25"

Guys, relax. Evolution is going to be fine. They are not the first studio to *gasp* hit a 72 metacritic for their game.

It's a shocking 5 points below Motorstorm Apocalypse's 77, a game they had 3 cracks at perfecting. This is a new type of game for them on a brand new system, nothing wrong with the scores they got. It's a great place to build from.

Quantic Dream is doing fine and well after Beyond's 70 metacritic. Guerilla is hard at work on their new IP after the 73 metacritic for Killzone.

The game will sell well enough as it's a racing game on a system desperately lacking them. And it's clear they aren't after sales goals since there's a PS+ offering coming.

Let's all just enjoy some driving :)

Outside of GAF I see literally no discussion or this game.

I am not sure why so many people think the game is reviewing bad. Its in the mid 70s average. Since when is 74 average out of 46 bad? For reference Forza M 5 is averaging 79. For new racing ip it isn't bad at all. And there is the free plus version which I am sure will help with sales. I know a lot of people on my friends list bought the game and not all of them are from the Driveclub-gaf account. I think the game will sell just fine. We better get a motorstorm with this engine!

It is a 72. A 7/10 for a AAA game with this amount of delay is bad.

Prototype

Played all day today not sure how I feel.

- the corner/ram penalties are annoying as fuck.

- the server was down all day so there were multiple cars I couldn't get or earn any points for my club :/

- while the game looks good, the flood of gift I've seen the last few weeks all looked better and lead me to be a little disappointed.

- the driving is nothing special imo. Sense of speed is good but the handling is just OK.

- feel like the game can't decide if it wants to be simple or arcade and doesn't pull off the simcade vibe fully. Kind of a case of lost identity.

- AI is terrible and makes gran turismo look advanced. Cars stick to their line and force you off the road, pin you, or crash you into the geometry on the sides of tracks.

- drifting isn't very fun. Feels really slow.

- engine sounds are good for the most part but again, don't have access to club cars so haven't heard them all.

- sense of speed is excellent.

- tour mode is rather uninspired. Got to level 25ish.

- the world does look nice but it's hard to get excited about millions of trees or volumetric clouds when things like map placement or car details are missing. Like the bars that show a cars stats, why not have actual numbers? It's not like 0 to 60 times and top speeds are secrets. It would make it easier to compare cars. Bars are too vague.

I don't hate the game, but I'm not getting a PS4 for it.

played for about 3 hours

+tracks are beautiful. indian hills with sprinklers looks rad
+cars all behave differently
+drifting
+downhill feels insane
+music

-aliasing? small white dots are noticeable
-customization? there is none
-AI bumps from behind sometimes erroneously impact score

DRIVECLUB IS GREAT GAME. BUY IT.

The T500RS is just beautiful with this game. No tweaking necessary, it plays perfectly.

I'm so jelly! Looking at my Logitech G25 attached to the wheel stand pro while playing Driveclub I feel like throwing up. They done goofed with the wheels this gen. Anyone know if they will sort out this Logitech issue?

If I don't hear anything soon I might have to drop the dough on the t500rs and another wheelstand. this sucks.

Since almost everyone after launch is still playing a game minus the social features like challenges and face-offs and inspecting their friends and their performances, and looking at leaderboards, its a wonder that posted feedback isn't worse. We're not playing the same game that reviewers reviewed!

I have decided not to judge it until they get the servers going reliably.

I want to see if the club part (it is called driveCLUB after all) adds more to the fun ..

Of course if they take several days to fix the connection issues I'll start to wonder how talented this dev team really is ...

The lotus evora is my favorite car so far. Thing screams.

The Chile point to point hill climb looks photorealistic. Foreboding gray cloud cover above you on the mountain with clear bright skies visible in the distant valley as you redline along a cliff side...

It is a 72. A 7/10 for a AAA game with this amount of delay is bad.

No its not. That is just what this gen's perception is. Some of my favorite games were rated in the 70s. The only thing that matters for Evolution is sales in the long run. Reviews don't matter when everyone who has plus has a shot to play it. Word of mouth is way more important in this case. I would say the game will sell enough and they will be fine to make the next Motorstorm, hopefully.

You think they're going to introduce some new challenges with the weather patch? Man, I want some ridiculous night races in pouring thunderstorms. I love the obscenely hard challenges lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom