• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Guys.

How do you drift.

Thanks.

Drifting is just turning the car until you lose grip and spin slightly sideways. The ways to control it, at least I have found, is to let go of gas, brake, turn hard, (you can also use the hand brake to make your car lose grip quicker) then countersteer and gas (and often brake if you are going too fast) to get back on track.

Really? I'm not joking - servers are up for me - I just earned the Contender trophy which requires you to finish 1st in an online challenge. I'm in US CST, maybe its locale based?

To be fair, Evo said some people have been able to get on servers and playing today, I just assumed they were lying lol

Gaz_RB

I have a feeling you're going to get some great mileage out of this game lol

I've got that feeling as well. Hopefully leaderboards and stuff are up soon.

It's also kind of cool for local multiplayer despite the sad lack of split screen. I was playing with my roommates and just switch off trying to beat each other's time of a certain track.

Saberus

wholly shit, first time going into a corner, and bam.. sun directly in my eyes, crashing into things, side to side..lol..

It looks so real, thought about getting my sunglasses ready..

Duxxy3

Strange question if someone doesn't mind answering - is it possible to change the right analog stick to gas/brake?

i love the lighting on the game, the glare from the sun is amazing. at times its like when im driving with out my sunglasses on. [i just hope they dont make Sunglasses DLC]

WoolyNinja

wholly shit, first time going into a corner, and bam.. sun directly in my eyes, crashing into things, side to side..lol..

It looks so real, thought about getting my sunglasses ready..

Yep, some tracks are worst than others. Someone in this or another thread thought people were crazy for saying the clouds/sun made a difference in the racing... after playing the game it surprising does, big time!

Ok, the Pagani is finally like playing wipeout

with its front mounted air brakes and everything.

GIF-Andy-Samberg-annoyed-disgust-dislike-disturbed-do-not-want-face-freaky-no-reaction-weird-GIF.gif

Codeblew

To be fair, Evo said some people have been able to get on servers and playing today, I just assumed they were lying lol

Well, he is the first one in several hours to claim to be online so I think they were lying. I haven't got connected since about 14 hours ago and the game has been on all day.

Nafai1123

Banned
So far the penalty system has not hindered my progress at all. The only time I got a collision penalty was when I didn't realize there was a turn and went full speed into a car in front of me. I've also noticed that at least on the tracks I've raced so far, you need to be seriously cutting a corner to receive a penalty. Maybe it gets more punishing further along but thus far the complaints have been unwarranted from my experience.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Drifting is hard on this game

Yeah, from what I am reading it seems the drifting in this game just isn't fun, and certainly isn't as enjoyable as it is in GRID 2/Daytona USA/OutRun 2.

WoolyNinja

So far the penalty system has not hindered my progress at all. The only time I got a collision penalty was when I didn't realize there was a turn and went full speed into a car in front of me. I've also noticed that at least on the tracks I've raced so far, you need to be seriously cutting a corner to receive a penalty. Maybe it gets more punishing further along but thus far the complaints have been unwarranted from my experience.

Same experience I've had so far. If you drive like you should and use brakes around corners, etc these things shouldn't become an issue.

MilkBeard

The Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale is phenomenal at drifting. Man I love how these powerful rear drive vehicles fishtale a bit if you gun it at the line. The sound of this car is great too.

WoolyNinja

Drifting is hard on this game

Go into a corner fast, start turning, hit the e-brake... drift away.

There are subtle nuances to it but the above is the easiest way to drift. Also make sure you're using a car with a higher drift rating as its easier in those cars.

Yeah, from what I am reading it seems the drifting in this game just isn't fun, and certainly isn't as enjoyable as it is in GRID 2/Daytona USA/OutRun 2.

How did you jump to that conclusion? Given the difficulty, people say nailing a drift feels fantastic. Something that might actually take skill to master? Sounds awesome to me.

MilkBeard

I highly disagree with this. I think the actual drifting mechanic in this game is more reality based and less arcade, and that is why people are having trouble. Watch some Initial D, it will help you on drifting technique (i'm serious, lol).

I like how the drift is a serious, deep mechanic in this game.

MilkBeard

How did you jump to that conclusion? Given the difficulty, people say nailing a drift feels fantastic. Something that might actually take skill to master? Sounds awesome to me.

I agree. Drifting takes skill, especially with the faster cars. And man does it feel satisfying when you pull one off.

rnaud

Alright, finally got around trying out the game.

I'm not a huge fan of sim racing games so this feels like the perfect balance for me.
Great handling, I actually feel proud when I make a perfect turn.

The graphics are gorgeous of course. I'm not sure I have seen all the locations though, I've done Norway, Scotland, India. They seem to be all unlocked from the start if you go in single races no?

Anyway, I'll need to get in a club soon, don't want to drive all for nothing. :)

The cars in blue are for people on the free PS+ version -- the paid version has access to everything (once you unlock it). There are some cars that can't be unlocked offline though -- those are the ones that are tied to your club's level.

Well, that sucks. Reminds me of the unlockable Titans in Titanfall, once the install base shrinks, you're gonna have a hardtime unlocking the cars. You're also forced to join a club, and I don't know if I want to do that since nobody I know cares about racing games. I guess I could join one of GAF's clubs.

Prototype

One thing I forgot to add, the aliasing is really bad. It's not just on power lines. It's all over the cars. Spent a fair amount of time creating a paint job for the Ferrari 430 and was horrified by it.

That's said it's been hours since I played and even with all my complaints I want to play it some more, so there's that lol. Really wished the online component was up and running... zonda R is club only so far as I know and I really wanted to play it.

Will do another session tomorrow.
Hopefully it's up by then .

Well, that sucks. Reminds me of the unlockable Titans in Titanfall, once the install base shrinks, you're gonna have a hardtime unlocking the cars. You're also forced to join a club, and I don't know if I want to do that since nobody I know cares about racing games. I guess I could join one of GAF's clubs.

You might be able to create a club and just rack up points for yourself lol. I'm not sure on the specifics however.

Same experience I've had so far. If you drive like you should and use brakes around corners, etc these things shouldn't become an issue.

The problem, or thing to adjust to is that the AI even on upper levels tends to brake for mild corners that you can take straight and flat out. So they decelerate strongly and you hit them, or they jink into you if you're side by side which can knock you into scenery or into one of those chiming penalties that cuts your power for 4 seconds.

To get cut that out of the equation means learning the problem sections and then driving extra defensively.

In multiplayer I think people hitting other people strategically will be a thing. Oh look he is slowing for this hairpin? I can use his car to decelerate and push him wide as a bonus. Even if a penalty is applied to the right car, it might not help because reduced power is still enough power in some tight turns.

Cubed

I highly disagree with this. I think the actual drifting mechanic in this game is more reality based and less arcade, and that is why people are having trouble. Watch some Initial D, it will help you on drifting technique (i'm serious, lol).

I completely agree.

nikos

I'm at the final Legend event but need more stars to start it. Shame none of this progress contributed towards my club. Guess it's not too bad since leveling the club will give me something else to do.

Someone I know was able to get on for about 10 minutes, lol.

nikos

You might be able to create a club and just rack up points for yourself lol. I'm not sure on the specifics however.

Two members are needed before your club becomes active. You might be able to create a second PSN account, but I'm not sure if PS+ will be needed to join a club.

I agree, this game does everything to be realistic which is kind of new over the previous games mechanics. So, people don't understand this and call it as not fun. I really like this realistic feel in everything and multiplayer going to be so much fun when servers are up. Meanwhile i just try to get used to controls in tour by unlocking cars and other stuff.

wapplew

It's really hard to control, but drifting sure not slow, I only pull off a perfect drift once, but man, that's really satisfy.
I hope someone can make drifting guide video so I can learn.

I dunno, Jeff's quicklook was pretty good at laying out all his issues pretty eloquently in real time. And when was opinion supposed to be journalism?

my problem with his complaints are that he wants it to be more alike another game in a genre where it's far too easy to be crazy similar. You go too much like one game or GT you get called copying. Or you go crazy and get that one driving game where you can go on foot. Or you know Motorstorm which I would have preferred them make or at least remaster Pacific Rim

saunderez

It's fun, it just requires a bit more nuance than I'm used too when drifting. Games like NFS made it way too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom