• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm half-way through the GB QL but I'm just waiting for him to compare it to Grid Autosport which is really fun to drive and is also an inbetween arcade/sim...

One thing I forgot to add, the aliasing is really bad. It's not just on power lines. It's all over the cars. Spent a fair amount of time creating a paint job for the Ferrari 430 and was horrified by it.

That's said it's been hours since I played and even with all my complaints I want to play it some more, so there's that lol. Really wished the online component was up and running... zonda R is club only so far as I know and I really wanted to play it.

Will do another session tomorrow.
Hopefully it's up by then .

I haven't noticed any bad aliasing. The game suffers graphically from lack of AF though.

I haven't sunk so many hours day 1 into a racing game since the Burnout Paradise demo. Hitting your line around bends and braking properly at the red corners is so satisfying. The sense of speed is top notch, and racing in the pack, especially in the cockpit view, is intense. Many times today I found myself gunning for like 5th place in a random race, and it was just as satisfying as if I had gotten 1st; the mark of a racing title getting the basics right. The tour is a tour. Nothing we haven't seen before, but the time trials are addicting, and aggressive AI keeps things interesting. The important thing here is that racing feels great, so while some might say Driveclub needs more frills as a racing title in 2014, and they might be right, I'm still happy with how it turned out.

As for visuals, the lighting is stunning. Race a track 5 times at 5 different times of day + different weather combinations and it can feel completely unique every time. The accelerated day/night cycle is an important variable here as well because while some of tracks can be pretty easy in daylight with a high sun, sunrise, sunset, and nighttime can do some crazy things to your visibility. Layering the dynamic weather on top of this when the patch comes will make for a bunch of choices as to how you want to set up your race and difficulty of that race. Car detail is top notch as well, and though the IQ/AA isn't as clean as we hoped it would be (and those trees :X), it doesn't do enough harm to ruin the overall aesthetic which looks beautiful in motion.

I only had a taste of the social features before the servers got nuked from orbit in the afternoon, but the little challenges during a race are pretty well done. The drift ones seem kinda impossible to do in the heat of moment, but the cornering line and average speed will be super competitive. Hopefully someone decides to turn a server back on and we can all start racing each other and raging as it inevitably turns into destruction derby.

The presentation overall is very much to my liking. No time wasting Codemasters menus here, everything's slick and polished getting you where you need to be quickly, even storing your menu choices in memory if you back out and return. Loading is kept to a minimum with 15 second race loads, at the most, and instant restarts. The soundtrack is great, menu themes in particular, though a bit limited which can become an issue over a long session. Could've been aided by DLNA support but Sony works at a snail's pace so that ain't happening. Still, the OST works well with the menus and races, smartly adapting to pause screens and restarts with no hitches. HOWFASTDOYOUWANNAGO *twitch*

I haven't read a single review, I don't need to. At this point, I've accepted that reviews pretty much don't matter to me anymore. I've disagreed with the critical consensus so many times (some as large as 3-4 points higher or lower) that I'm better off just listening to my gut even if it fails me every now and then
(Destiny pls)
. Didn't fail me this time though. Driveclub is a lot of fun. Photomode and dynamic weather will only make this package stronger over the next 2 months, and I'm excited to see where Evolution takes the game beyond those additions.

Final Score: 4 Vehicle Collision Penalties Even Though The AI Hit Me out of 3 bruised index fingers.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS0PtmwsYhA#t=12s

KalBalboa

Banned
Got to level 12. Unlocked some of the sportier cars.

I'm a fan of how different all the vehicles feel so far. It's a shame the launch of this game has been so, well, cruddy, because otherwise I'm sure I'd be really into the club system by now.

Konosuke

I'm half-way through the GB QL but I'm just waiting for him to compare it to Grid Autosport which is really fun to drive and is also an inbetween arcade/sim...

Sorry mate, you're going to have a comparison with Mario Kart and you are going to like it.
Quite ridiculous how uninformed they are.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, actually Driveclub is growing on me. The graphics and sense of speed are pretty amazing. Definitely one of the best looking games I've seen at times. Once you get a little faster, powersliding is actually not only viable, but the ideal way to take turns vs. realistic boring braking before entering the turn. Sliding through turns at 90mph while going down a mountain at sunset is :eek: Getting a Rallisport Challenge 2/Outrun 2 feel at times.

Closest thing I'd compare DC to overall it to is Dirt 2 without the bullshit, just pure rally races non-stop and no "hey dude! Wanna mountain dew it up!" between races. Slightly has some PGR, slightly has some GT, slightly has some Motorstorm to it, but I'd say the overall feel is basically Dirt 1/2 rally racer.

Game really needs the replay mode/photo mode/weather, when you go to make a race there's A LOT of interesting options in there like setting the time of day down to the minute and the speed at which time passes while driving. Watching the sun rise or set while doing a long race is pretty impressive. Throw in weather and it'll be even more impressive. And the game needs photo mode to capture those times you slide perfectly right through a sharp turn.

Also will be interesting when multiplayer actually exists. Could definitely be fun for a while given all the options. Hope they get the servers up in the next few days.

madp0k

How did you jump to that conclusion? Given the difficulty, people say nailing a drift feels fantastic. Something that might actually take skill to master? Sounds awesome to me.

Totally off topic but were you playing crucible yesterday? You were hunting me down like a dog lol

On topic, mines downloaded, long wait till friday now :(

nawwafh

Played the 1st race yetsterday.. was kinda underwhelmed with the visuals..
Then i played midnight dash (i think thats what it was cllaed)... BLOWN AWAY by the visuals.. cant wait for the weather update..
Need to spend more time racing to draw conclusions about the gameplay.. but from what I've played.. the AI seems very aggressive..
Also.. really like how minimalistic the menus are..

Marlenus

So far the penalty system has not hindered my progress at all. The only time I got a collision penalty was when I didn't realize there was a turn and went full speed into a car in front of me. I've also noticed that at least on the tracks I've raced so far, you need to be seriously cutting a corner to receive a penalty. Maybe it gets more punishing further along but thus far the complaints have been unwarranted from my experience.

I agree with this from my brief time playing it yesterday. All 4 wheels off track is a corner penalty and a very heavy collision is a contact penalty. Usually if you are jostling for position the penalties do not really hamper you but they stop you from getring a huge advantage which is fair.

It rewards precise racing without tol heavily penalising mistakes which is perfect imo.

eso76

Played a few mins before leaving for work.
IQ Isnt nearly as bad as some captures suggested.
Looks good, aerial shots of the locations in particular are amazing.
Driving didn't feel too satisfying though, but I only tried a couple shitty cars.

At least it's basically the least important graphic element. Especially in a racing game.

I think AF is crucial *especially* in a racing game. Road getting blurry ahead really harms visuals IMHO.

Closest thing I'd compare DC to overall it to is Dirt 2 without the bullshit, just pure rally races non-stop and no "hey dude! Wanna mountain dew it up!" between races. Slightly has some PGR, slightly has some GT, slightly has some Motorstorm to it, but I'd say the overall feel is basically Dirt 1/2 rally racer.

The game for me feels like Sega Rally (the ps3/360 version), although DC is much easier (so far). The different stars for each race gives events a little re-playability as you try to gold everything, which so far I have enjoyed.

23qwerty

Played a few mins before leaving for work.
IQ Isnt nearly as bad as some captures suggested.
Looks good, aerial shots of the locations in particular are amazing.
Driving didn't feel too satisfying though, but I only tried a couple shitty cars.

I think AF is crucial *especially* in a racing game. Road getting blurry ahead really harms visuals IMHO.

Hmm, come to think of it I sort of notice it occasionally. I still feel it isn't very important though. If you're gonna sacrifice something for better visuals AF is probably gonna be the first thing to go.

I managed to play for a bit over an hour before coming in to work - even though I told myself I just wanted to check out if it would boot up. Off-line only so far.

Really liking it so far. I get the complaints about the seemingly harsh penalties, but after a while I was only losing "fame" and hardly ever got a real penalty. I can see myself doing time trials over and over.

Maybe I missed it, but can you do flying laps? That would turn it into a real time sink ("just one more").

In any case, I've realised that I really don't care about reviews anymore (it only took me 30 years of playing video games!). I played most of the recent games that got rated 9-10 and this is simply more fun for me. Sucks that Evolution will get judged by this metric, I hope sales will be decent at least.

You can't be serious. Booted it up and servers still down from last nights launch when clock hit zero on a pre-load copy.

On the tech side stuff does happen I undrstand that, but this thing have not seen a day of light for the past 24hrs?

How does COD get away with this with millions at launch ( we all know the answer )..sigh.

MilkBeard

Really starting to warm up to the game. I did some drift, some touring, and spent a good 15 minutes trying to beat my own time in time trial. The game gets addicting, with the solid mechanics and lighting fidelity. The game becomes something different when you find a car that you really like.

KalBalboa

Banned
Man, I love what I'm seeing in Driveclub so far but... this is a really bad launch.

Like, record-book bad.

I'm purely talking about the game's launch. The delay, the PS+ version having zero news on the NA front, the complete lack of servers, missing core features after a year of extra development time...C'mon Evolution, you made Motorstorm! You've got this.

MilkBeard

One of the coolest things in this game is the passage of time. I set the time lapse to be x15. So by around the second or third lap it tuns to night time. Sweet feeling. The course becomes a really different experience depending on the time/weather.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game is really good. Very enjoyable to play, controls perfectly and looks absolutely amazing. For sure the best looking racer there is, I've been getting genuine wow moments during practically every race. I also love switching between different camera views, as each is very impressive in its own right. Music is very fitting. Also of note, that I haven't seen anyone talk about yet, is that there is motion control tilt steering available, which is perfectly responsive and usable, and from the interior view you can see how the hands on the wheel perfectly match your movements with no visible lag. I love playing this game like that. I'm a bit surprised this is not getting better reviews, because the game to me seems practically perfect for what it is. I couldn't put it down for hours once I started playing, which no other racer since Wipeout HD did for me. As for the negatives, other than the obvious servers being down, I wish it had some American and Japanese cars, so hopefully that's coming in an update.

Another thing of note is that the game for some reason (the type of sim/arcade grip and control as well as densely packed impressive visuals) does feel like a spiritual successor of PGR series. There hasn't been anything quite like those game ever since, until this, which also means that this is the first game of this kind on any Playstation console. It's not sterile like Gran Turismo but it's also not corny arcadey like various Burnout or NFS games. There's certain seriousness and class about it, despite being able to break the laws of physics with your super-fast driving.

murgo

My body is ready:

2014-10-08%2009.37.43.jpg

Foshy

Been playing with my T500RS for about 2 hours now and damn I'm absolutely loving it so far. Handling feels perfect and I really like the no-fuss approach they've taken with the menus. Loading times are so quick.

Between this and Forza Horizon 2 I honestly feel I'm set for the rest of the gen as a racing game fan. Love how well they compliment each other.

Mik3F

The UK PS+ upgrade is now available to download, says its a 14.7gb file but mine is only downloading 2.5 gb

Anyone else got the same

GHG

The UK PS+ upgrade is now available to download, says its a 14.7gb file but mine is only downloading 2.5 gb

Anyone else got the same

2.5 GB is the initial amount needed for your to be able to boot the game up and start playing. The rest will download in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom