• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrovaxPSO

My dad came by with a copy of the game for me earlier this evening, as a thank you for me letting him use my car for the past week or so. I had mentioned the game to him earlier since we used to play racing games together when I was a kid, but had planned on giving the PS+ version a try first. Super psyched since it never went up on the store. Played for a couple hours and I really like it. Looks great and the cars handle in a really fun way, even if it's not entirely realistic. Cannot wait for the rain and snow to be added in.

M.W.

Yeah...everything is being worked on, but that leads me to believe it's going to be months before we see it.

Any word on the EU PS+ version, whether it's coming up online today or not? Not at home but was looking forward to upgrading and getting the full version in a few hours...

bombshell

Any word on the EU PS+ version, whether it's coming up online today or not? Not at home but was looking forward to upgrading and getting the full version in a few hours...

You don't need the PS+ version in order to upgrade. Just buy the upgrade on the store, it gives you the full game.

You don't need the PS+ version in order to upgrade. Just buy the upgrade on the store, it gives you the full game.

Oh, I thought I read earlier in the thread that the upgrade itself wasn't available as well at this point (after preorder is removed post launch) due to missing PS+ edition but that's good to hear.

So far the penalty system has not hindered my progress at all. The only time I got a collision penalty was when I didn't realize there was a turn and went full speed into a car in front of me. I've also noticed that at least on the tracks I've raced so far, you need to be seriously cutting a corner to receive a penalty. Maybe it gets more punishing further along but thus far the complaints have been unwarranted from my experience.

I completed up to the first trophy, rookie cup?, and I haven't received a single penalty.

I think if your play style is a particular way you're going to recieve penalties, a lot of penalties.

I was raised on F1, cutting corners of the track and purposely bashing into others is not something you do, unless your Schumacher against Damon Hill.

jobrro

Played this a tiny bit last night and again for an hour or so this afternoon. Only intended on playing for a race or two both times, but this game really has the 'one more race' thing nailed.

As a whole I'd say the graphics are good, but not mindblowing - though the effects are certainly great. The lighting and the backgrounds are really great, only had one or two races in the dark so far but they were a highlight among a race I had at sunset early in the tour mode - never had the urge to put on sunglases or pull down the sunvisor in a game before :p.

Also enjoying the handling, though I'm still getting used to it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Looking at the screens posted here, I was a bit worried about the image quality, but the aliasing only ever really becomes noticeable in static screenshots. Once you start playing, the speed and the amount of stuff that's being put on the screen completely overwhelms you to ever be able to notice any minor image problems. What you do see however is the overall image composition and lighting which is incredibly impressive, especially when the conditions are "just right", and the good thing is they are just right most of the time.

*edit* also now that I remember reading, they are using a temporal supersample as one of the AA methods, so that's also why aliasing becomes far less noticeable in motion.

rafaelr

Are you sure?, the info with the upgrade bundle says you need the PS+ version aswell

Oh, I thought I read earlier in the thread that the upgrade itself wasn't available as well at this point (after preorder is removed post launch) due to missing PS+ edition but that's good to hear.

yup, it works. i bought the ps+ upgrade yesterday, the psplus version won´t be out before today in EU, but the game preloaded and i was able to play at 00:01 (just wanted to try 1 race, ended up playing an hour and a half)

Lol, almost everyone are in love with the soundtrack of the game and i read a lot of reviews without a word about the soundtrack...

Poor Drive Club.... I hope Evolution will not suffer of these bad reviews...

wattm

Neo Member
Hello again, as I promised, here's another two timelapse videos. This time they are two times faster and last for two minutes.

Canada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7I45MeXHuo

India:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQykpZQTmo

Really appreciate the videos but I think you should choose more epic spots to record them, like at the top of a hill where you can see the whole valley or something. The Norway one was incredibly underwhelming as you are just facing an ice wall instead of turning 180º and letting us see the beautiful scenery.

Looking at the screens posted here, I was a bit worried about the image quality, but the aliasing only ever really becomes noticeable in static screenshots. Once you start playing, the speed and the amount of stuff that's being put on the screen completely overwhelms you to ever be able to notice any minor image problems. What you do see however is the overall image composition and lighting which is incredibly impressive, especially when the conditions are "just right", and the good thing is they are just right most of the time.

Yes, I completely agree with this.

Also note that changes in lighting conditions can lead to very drastic effects. Some of the less stellar shots posted last week are simply "unfortunate" with realistic, but bald lighting. That's the downside of the illumination system - it's not tweaked to give the best, static eye candy at all times. I vastly prefer this dynamic approach than baked lighting, however.

bombshell

Oh yeah. It might be unavailable right now if the pre-order has been removed. You have to try and search for it to see if it's there, because I'm not sure I see the same as someone who hasn't bought it.

And with that I'm about to fire up this beast for the first time :D

Mik3F

Yes, I'm sure. It said the same on the upgrade pre-order page and me and many others bought that and we have the full game.

Brilliant, means then I can start straight away on Friday.

I assume that the remaining game downloads whilst I am playing

Oh yeah. It might be unavailable right now if the pre-order has been removed. You have to try and search for it to see if it's there, because I'm not sure I see the same as someone who hasn't bought it.

And with that I'm about to fire up this beast for the first time :D

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... I'll have to see. Funny I avoided to pre-order as there was some issues with SCEE's pre-orders before re: First Light, and now it seems the reverse might be true where the "issues" come from not pre-ordering, lol.

I want mah 3 cars!

So, i'm not much of a racing guy. From the racing games i've played, i loved the more arcady games like Motorstorm, Burnout Paradise, NFS: most Wanted 1, Mariokart. In the more Simmy category i liked Dirt and Formula 1: 2010. I never liked GT and Forza much. Mostly because i don't want to waste time with silly slow cars but also because i don't like the "realistic" handling. It's mostly just a hassle for me.

Okay, played some more Driveclub. I love it. Especially when you get to the better cars. Better speed, handling, and great engine sounds.
- I love racing in these environments. I'm a mountain nut and i love to be near them.
- The menu is fast and simple. That is a GOOD thing. For instance, i loved the CoD:MW2 menu. Click, click, GAME!
- Camera options are perfect. So perfect that i can't really decide which one to use ;p.
- The damage could be a bit better. Maybe Dirt kinda damage would be okay for a game like this?
- yeah, the lighting, wowww.

I absolutely hate jaggies. But for those who say the game is a jagg fest: either change the settings of your tv (maybe contrast too high or too much sharpness) or don't sit so close, cause it's not that big of a problem. Having said that, i DID want the game to look cleaner because any jaggie is making this realistic looking game less immersive. Is there ANY way they can patch in better AA? Not because it's bad now, but because this game deserves to be CLEAN as hell (any car game for that matter).

I'm still working on the drifting.. I guess you have to hit circle to initiate one, right?

Once you get a little faster, powersliding is actually not only viable, but the ideal way to take turns vs. realistic boring braking before entering the turn.

2570175-ih5ywu35u5liw.gif

Skyzard

Banned
Sorry mate, you're going to have a comparison with Mario Kart and you are going to like it.
Quite ridiculous how uninformed they are.

Yeah lol :/

Disappointing explanation of the way it feels to actually play it.

Hopefully will get to check it out for myself this weekend.

Kinan

This game holds my personal record for the time between order on Amazon and delivery.
Ordered - 5th Sep 2013. Delivered - 8th Oct 2014. :)

Squozen

I've only given it 15 minutes of play so far, so this is completely unfair of me, but it seemed pretty underwhelming at first glance. I was expecting a bit more than a strict progression through tracks with no real flavour to give the game a personality. After I came back from the gym I fired up Shadow of Mordor again, because DC seemed very bland with the servers down.

I'm sure I'll have a much better experience with more time and human competition/club interaction. As I said, I'm being unfair.

UberTag

Lol, almost everyone are in love with the soundtrack of the game and i read a lot of reviews without a word about the soundtrack...

Poor Drive Club.... I hope Evolution will not suffer of these bad reviews...
The bad review / server debacle combo might well prove fatal.
This is Zipper Interactive all over again.

Will be interesting to see how much return blowback is felt.

Well, I just tried to make a race with the new Mercedes AMG GT. But it seems that I`m not supposed to.

I "bought" the item on the webstore and turned my ps4 on. Under relating objects in Driveclub it says that I`ve already installed it. So I turn Driveclub on and looking for the Mercedes but it is greyed out. It says that I have to buy it from the PS Store. So the game links me to the site, but there it says that I already bought the item and I can`t do anything. And when I try to force the download from the webstore it loads and loads and loads and nothing happens. Did anyone have the same problem?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
local store gave me the season pass for 25 euros instead of 50, that code and the le code works, the McLaren 12C Pack code does not, anyone else have this issue?

Those of you who keep talking about aliasing and how it seems to look better in motion...

Do you know what temporal anti-aliasing is? It involves compared pixels from previous frames, which is why as a still shot can look more aliased compared to playing.

You can actually see this right before you start a race, as your car (3rd person cam) will have hard edges with aliasing that diminishes once the car is moving.

Griss

Wait, replay mode is something they're going to patch in after launch? Like, the ability to watch a replay of your race?

Holy shit if true. That's a basic feature of racing games. This game isn't finished at all by the sounds of it. Without a strict timetable on when features like replay and weather will be implemented there's no way I can in good conscience buy this game.

Servers down, mixed reviews, PS+ version not uploaded, game apparently only half done... really not a good look at launch. It's a shame, because I love Evolution. I loved Motorstorm so much, and Apocalypse was just brilliant all the way around. I only ever tried their rally games but they seemed really good too. Not like this, evolution. Not like this.

barit

Well, I just tried to make a race with the new Mercedes AMG GT. But it seems that I`m not supposed to.

I "bought" the item on the webstore and turned my ps4 on. Under relating objects in Driveclub it says that I`ve already installed it. So I turn Driveclub on and looking for the Mercedes but it is greyed out. It says that I have to buy it from the PS Store. So the game links me to the site, but there it says that I already bought the item and I can`t do anything. And when I try to force the download from the webstore it loads and loads and loads and nothing happens. Did anyone have the same problem?

Ehm if i'm correct these are only paintjobs not full cars. You still have to play and unlock them via ingame progression

kyser73

Sorry VegemiteThunder, Dick Smith have lost my copy that they supposedly sent out yesterday so I won't be able to play until tomorrow if I'm lucky :(

Hey my UK PSN preload is just sitting there, taunting me with its countdown that finishes at 0900 on Friday morning :/

Still, no servers=no clubs so nothing is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom