• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
yfmzve.gif

It wasn't immediately apparent, but I love how the snow seems to be settling on the track.

That means black ice baby.

OH HELL YEAH!

jayu26

Podcast Beyond really ripped into this game on the latest show (around the 5:45 mark). Among their critiques (not sure exactly who said what, I'm not good with attaching voices to names):

- it was delayed a year, it should have come out at system launch
- now it's coming out this fall, it should be pushed back because it's going to sell badly
- they didn't realize it wasn't a sim before listeners pointed it out to them, so they're mad that they didn't know that
- apparently they think a racing game should either be a sim or San Francisco Rush style arcade, there's no happy medium
- 'Drive Club is in real trouble' or something to that effect
These are the same dudes who still stand by their 10/10 Uncharted 3 score. Their tastes in gaming are very different from average Neogafer or even average gamer.

It wasn't immediately apparent, but I love how the snow seems to be settling on the track.

That means black ice baby.

OH HELL YEAH!
YES, don't let me down my Canadian winter driving skills...

OmegaDL50

It's the human to the controller lag I was meaning, the reaction time for two hands and a wheel is slower than a single thumb on a stick, so response times are slower (even if they are finer).

Do you also believe that people that play on gamepad with only two thumbs have an advantage over players that use an arcade stick in fighting games?

There is a reason why majority of players with the lowest lap times and racing lines (Especially racing sims) in general more often then not are using a wheel over a gamepad.

But this post is mainly off topic, so I'll stop here.

StuBurns

Banned
Graphically, I was never impressed with the game. That one video they showed with the single car at night a while ago that blew everyone away I thought looked average. It's just come such a colossal distance since, it looks stunning now, super impressive. And it shouldn't have surprised me, as this happened with their other games. MS2 went from barely better than the first to incredible in just a few months.

Do you also believe that people that play on gamepad with only two thumbs have an advantage over players that use an arcade stick in fighting games?

Players using a d-pad or the analogue sticks? Please be clear.

There is a reason why majority of players with the lowest lap times and racing lines (Especially racing sims) in general more often then not are using a wheel over a gamepad.

Citation Needed. And I'm pretty sure there are fighting game professional players that use d-pads to beat stick users.

No, no, no. Heavier! With more violence! >:D

Yes, there is heavier snow. I don't think we'll get 3ft drifts, (but it would be a lovely easter egg for Motorstorm Arctic Edge fans) but it's supposed to build up at the sides, and slush-up on the the track.

Not just that but the snow packs up as the race goes on and gets thicker against the road. And then, if the sun comes out, it will slowly melt leaving puddles on the road.

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

If this is true, we still have not seen heavier snow weather!!!

I knew the snow would melt, but I was not sure if it would build up! :O

Anyways, I am talking about blizzard like, vision impairing, blinding SNOWSTORMS!

Driving at night, roads are covered in snow, snow is falling violently, you can't see shit in front of you, wind is blowing like crazy.

I am a bit skeptical it is that intense, but heavier snow with snow buildup is perfect.

Also, can you "hear" the wind in this game? I would hope there is a windy weather option, but that seems like something for a sequel.

-Amon-

Graphically, I was never impressed with the game. That one video they showed with the single car at night a while ago that blew everyone away I thought looked average. It's just come such a colossal distance since, it looks stunning now, super impressive. And it shouldn't have surprised me, as this happened with their other games. MS2 went from barely better than the first to incredible in just a few months.

Yes, i remember well the progression Motorstorm 2 had. Even the demo they released like 1 month before the release date was not that close to the final game.

KGoogle

Could someone answer this question I have the game pre ordered on my US account will I be able to play it on the 7th on my UK account???

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Apologies in advance; I've tried searching for this info and can't find a clear answer anywhere...

When does the free PS+ edition of Driveclub release? Is it on 10/7 or sometime else? The main post seems to indicate it's available now, but that isn't true is it?

This is a game being developed within the first year of the PS4... my mind... god some of that video looked too good...
God dammit Time Gods, make it Tuesday!

The crazy looking headlight lit snow at the end was a bug apparently, so the night racing in snow should look even better.

Rushy demonstrated a snow race in Milan the other week, so you're going to love this:

http://youtu.be/_162u_Cg7qg?t=9m11s

But this is already in the game, right?

This is the very light weather effects that's in the game already? I noticed minimal snow and rain, but the heavier snow and rain, that comes in the patch?

Or is all the weather effects coming in a patch?

Either way, there is going to be some serious variety: light snow and rain makes the tracks look beautiful and reflective, but we've also seen some heavier rain effects from that gif

We've seen light snowfall with some buildup on the tracks, but equivalent to rain, we've yet to see heavier snowfall, right?

Or have we already seen the snow at its best? There are some tracks that have snow heavy roads, but this is just a design of the track? It cant be melted?

I am thinking some of what I want is extremely ambitious/taxing on the PS4, but it sounds possible for a sequel. Just super heavy pounding rain to listen to in cockpit view, and blizzard-like snow with gameplay affecting gusts of wind

Sorry for all the questions :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Man it's so weird, I played both DriveClub and Forza Horizon 2 at PAX. Both were a blast to play, but Horizon 2 looked noticeably better. Watching that winter racing video posted above me though, DriveClub looks incredible. I wonder if it was just an old build paired with bad TV calibration.

!?!? God dammit Soony! Make the weather come out in parts if you have to! I needs it!

It's the slushing behind the wheels, and the perfect lighting and reflection of snow-cloud filled sky that gets me. As well as the terrifying hypnotic effect of the snow driving towards the screen.

I remember coming back from Newcastle on acid one time* and listening to the Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld as the soundtrack, and seeing the Driveclub snow reminds me of that a little. Just beautiful.

Have you noticed the thumbnail of this video? :D

heh, cold weather effects are definitely working in that picture.

* I wasn't the driver.

I figured I'd post my findings. I went ahead and took the plunge on the US PSN for my pre-order, and as far as I can tell from my download list, there are NO PRE-ORDER BONUSES.

It kind of sucks, but seeing as they're only skins, I think I'll survive. Who knows, they may release them later for free if we're really nice.

Otherwise, I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) get the skins if someone else in your club has them...

viveks86

But this is already in the game, right?

This is the very light weather effects that's in the game already? I noticed minimal snow and rain, but the heavier snow and rain, that comes in the patch?

Or is all the weather effects coming in a patch?

Both rain and snow are coming in a patch. Only weather effects at launch are cloud conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom