• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

viveks86

I was watching a stream a few hours ago and I noticed that the tire screeches are really loud.

Anyone know if this game will have the option to turn 'sound effects' down, or maybe even the tire squeal specifically?

Yes, I'm aware that tire squeal is really loud in real life too.

There should be controls for sound effects, but that's going to affect other effects as well. Something specific for tire squeal wouldn't happen without enough feedback.

I've noticed the same, but it seems far more tolerable in cockpit view with the sound deadening. So that's one more incentive to try out the view that I generally never use.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Podcast Beyond really ripped into this game on the latest show (around the 5:45 mark). Among their critiques (not sure exactly who said what, I'm not good with attaching voices to names):

- it was delayed a year, it should have come out at system launch
- now it's coming out this fall, it should be pushed back because it's going to sell badly
- they didn't realize it wasn't a sim before listeners pointed it out to them, so they're mad that they didn't know that
- apparently they think a racing game should either be a sim or San Francisco Rush style arcade, there's no happy medium
- 'Drive Club is in real trouble' or something to that effect

They also said The Crew has more hype than Driveclub. I love the Beyond guys, but sometimes they can be idiots.

artist

Banned
Podcast Beyond really ripped into this game on the latest show (around the 5:45 mark). Among their critiques (not sure exactly who said what, I'm not good with attaching voices to names):

- now it's coming out this fall, it should be pushed back because it's going to sell badly
- they didn't realize it wasn't a sim before listeners pointed it out to them, so they're mad that they didn't know that
- apparently they think a racing game should either be a sim or San Francisco Rush style arcade, there's no happy medium
So not really "really ripped into this game" but more like "tried real hard to rip into this game but failed miserably".

Loudninja

Criticism is fine, what they are doing here is not.

If the game release at launch it would not have seen these vats improvements.Its a shame to see them act this way.

TheTwelve

Gawd.

I'm trying to save money and was trying to talk myself into not buying this.

But due to this thread I just went and pre-ordered the game.

I can't miss this.

AmuroChan

That's good to hear since I think they also both said they don't really like racing games all that much.

Yea, they said one of the AU editors is reviewing the game. Colin definitely doesn't like or play any racing games. Greg seems to be really excited for The Crew.

And not a single thing has anything to do with the actual game itself.

Gaming Journalism. Let it Die

Criticism is fine, what they are doing here is not.

If the game release at launch it would not have seen these vats improvements.Its a shame to see them act this way.
I'm also not sure either of the guys have actually played it; that didn't come up.

Oh yeah they also said they didn't know why it was delayed a year or what Evolution was working on during that time. Even though Evolution was pretty clear about it I thought (dynamic menu and weather).

so Grid series are fucking garbage then? It fails me how those guys got their jobs...

AmuroChan

Then why did they even being it up? Clicks.

Because they got a listener's email asking if DC will be the first 1st party PS4 game to really shine given that KZ, Infamous, and Knack failed to really blow people's doors open. To which they just laughed and went on to say why DC wouldn't be that game.

I'm also not sure either of the guys have actually played it; that didn't come up.

Oh yeah they also said they didn't know why it was delayed a year or what Evolution was working on during that time. Even though Evolution was pretty clear about it I thought (dynamic menu and weather).
ijptiFeuYxGZz.JPG

AmuroChan

Someone over at the Australian branch is reviewing DriveClub for IGN. Someone, I presume, you actually has an avid interest in racing games.

Yes, both Cam and Luke over at IGN AU are avid racing game fans. When it comes to racing games, I definitely prefer the reviews to be done by the UK or AU teams.

Conduit

Banned
It's actually a pretty accurate representation. It looks like warp speed when trees, grass and bushes, wall barriers, etc. are in close proximity along with the slight camera shake.

iSVp4WTFDSSwa.gif

Isle Of Man TT?

Best race in the world for sure. But only with bikes.

jett

D-Member

You won't BELIEVE what they said about DRIVECLUB...

IGN HATES it!

They're idiots.

Before, they criticized the game because it was a sim. Then when they were corrected by their audience, they criticized it that they didn't know it was an arcade racer. They also see it as a negative that the trailers show people driving cars.

Like...what?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Pre-ordered. I assume I can form a club of one and play this like any other racing game. If not, I may be looking to form or get into a GAF club.

viveks86

You won't BELIEVE what they said about DRIVECLUB...

IGN HATES it!

They're idiots.

Before, they criticized the game because it was a sim. Then when they were corrected by their audience, they criticized it that they didn't know it was an arcade racer. They also see it as a negative that the trailers show people driving cars.

Like...what?

Yeah I can't believe what I'm hearing on that podcast. Neuromancer seems to have toned down his summary. I've just lost my last vestige of respect for these guys.

I would like to get out of car and start a fight with the spectators.

Yeah! Too bad Evo has that silly 3 second timer! I cannot even get out of car and punch a person in the face with that amount of time!!
Damn kids... leering at me when I am speeding pass them at 150+ mph... I'll show them...

Jigorath

Banned

So first they complain about it being delayed, and then about it not being delayed enough? This is Polygon levels of criticism.

Hoje0308

Banned

There's a reason I don't take reviews of racing titles seriously. Most of these guys don't like them and need for there to be some gimmick to distract them from the fact that they're driving. If I check for reviews at all, I'll go to specialized sites or forums.

I didn't realize IGN was still relevant?

Hey so, the weather patch, does it include heavier snow? It's just rain/thunder/lightning, right?

And where is the Tvvvv spootttt. I hope they use these gorgeous gifs, and landscape views.

viveks86

I didn't realize IGN was still relevant?

For GAF, no. But you won't believe how many people out there follow it. It's incredibly irresponsible for "journalists" to run their mouths like that when they admittedly don't know what they are talking about. Just… shameful!

Nokterian

Oh ign clickbait heaven. I am not going to bother to even listen to it. It's all garbage anyway. There pretty dumb also when reading this sjeez.

Hey so, the weather patch, does it include heavier snow? It's just rain/thunder/lightning, right?

And where is the Tvvvv spootttt. I hope they use these gorgeous gifs, and landscape views.

I thought the weather patch added all the weather?

I'm missing something here.

Yes, there is heavier snow. I don't think we'll get 3ft drifts, (but it would be a lovely easter egg for Motorstorm Arctic Edge fans) but it's supposed to build up at the sides, and slush-up on the the track.

So first they complain about it being delayed, and then about it not being delayed enough? This is Polygon levels of criticism.
Also, when a handful of listeners pointed out to them that it wasn't a sim, they used the fact that so few listeners wrote in to correct them as evidence that people in general aren't excited about the game.

NHDrumline17

Neo Member
I figured I'd post my findings. I went ahead and took the plunge on the US PSN for my pre-order, and as far as I can tell from my download list, there are NO PRE-ORDER BONUSES.

It kind of sucks, but seeing as they're only skins, I think I'll survive. Who knows, they may release them later for free if we're really nice.

Not just that but the snow packs up as the race goes on and gets thicker against the road. And then, if the sun comes out, it will slowly melt leaving puddles on the road.

Vaga

Smells like a bunch of salty idiots.

Im listening to the podcast now. They sound pretty defensive.

We know we are wrong all the time and we don't like racing games or know anything about them, but here is why we are right.
-podcast

IGN hein ?

Sometimes i wonder how come these "gaming journalist" have jobs. Most of the time they seem to have an agenda and look like they're payed by a corporation... They should be exited as we are, the game looks super fun and brings graphics in racing games to a new level, why such negativity ? Don't hate IGN, appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom