• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoje0308

Banned
Man it's so weird, I played both DriveClub and Forza Horizon 2 at PAX. Both were a blast to play, but Horizon 2 looked noticeably better. Watching that winter racing video posted above me though, DriveClub looks incredible. I wonder if it was just an old build paired with bad TV calibration.

Or it could have been the dynamic lighting, which may have made the game look a bit flat.

It's the slushing behind the wheels, and the perfect lighting and reflection of snow-cloud filled sky that gets me. As well as the terrifying hypnotic effect of the snow driving towards the screen.

I remember coming back from Newcastle on acid one time* and listening to the Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld as the soundtrack, and seeing the Driveclub snow reminds me of that a little. Just beautiful.

* I wasn't the driver.,

I had to rewatch part of the video a couple of times because it just looked too good. Do we know what TV and settings were being used?
Do you guys think we will need a TV setting post to inform people how to get the best picture for DC?

But this is already in the game, right?

This is the very light weather effects that's in the game already? I noticed minimal snow and rain, but the heavier snow and rain, that comes in the patch?

Or is all the weather effects coming in a patch?

Either way, there is going to be some serious variety: light snow and rain makes the tracks look beautiful and reflective, but we've also seen some heavier rain effects from that gif

We've seen light snowfall with some buildup on the tracks, but equivalent to rain, we've yet to see heavier snowfall, right?

Or have we already seen the snow at its best? There are some tracks that have snow heavy roads, but this is just a design of the track? It cant be melted?

I am thinking some of what I want is extremely ambitious/taxing on the PS4, but it sounds possible for a sequel. Just super heavy pounding rain to listen to in cockpit view, and blizzard-like snow with gameplay affecting gusts of wind

Sorry for all the questions :(

The weather lighting and atmospheric effects are in at launch, but no falling precipitation until the patch - if that makes sense :)

I had to rewatch part of the video a couple of times because it just looked too good. Do we know what TV and settings were being used?
Do you guys think we will need a TV setting post to inform people how to get the best picture for DC?

I like my TV with all digital 'enhancements' off, so that's what I'm going with. Natural picture, natural lighting usually, but I do like the high-contrast look for Driveclub - all blacks and high-beams.

viveks86

Lmao saw that when he first posted it... I'm like how come no ones saying anything...

You wouldn't notice it on a computer since the thumbnail doesn't show automatically. I posted it on twitter and it immediately showed up. Phones probably show it by default :D

Vaga

Better quality

MealyDistantDotterel.gif

Neil_J_UK

Going to get this from the US PSN store and use it on my UK account.

Just to clarify - I know I won't get the pre order bonuses (the liveries), but will I still be able to use/unlock the cars themselves? The RUF/ AMG / McClaren ?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Podcast Beyond really ripped into this game on the latest show (around the 5:45 mark). Among their critiques (not sure exactly who said what, I'm not good with attaching voices to names):

- it was delayed a year, it should have come out at system launch
- now it's coming out this fall, it should be pushed back because it's going to sell badly
- they didn't realize it wasn't a sim before listeners pointed it out to them, so they're mad that they didn't know that
- apparently they think a racing game should either be a sim or San Francisco Rush style arcade, there's no happy medium
- 'Drive Club is in real trouble' or something to that effect

kobe_brown.jpg

KGoogle

Just to clarify - I know I won't get the pre order bonuses (the liveries), but will I still be able to use/unlock the cars themselves? The RUF/ AMG / McClaren ?
Will we be able to play it on the 7th on our UK account?

Better quality

MealyDistantDotterel.gif

That zero-g stomach lurch as it leaves the ground is incredibly well done, very impactful. It reminds me of that little bump in the Norway gif that appeared a few weeks ago which has the same lift-off feeling.

If you buy from US then you should get all pre-order bonuses on that account, but you should still be able to play them on your UK account.

Both rain and snow are coming in a patch. Only weather effects at launch are cloud conditions

OK thanks. I was a little confused because there was gameplay for it, but I guess it was directly from Evolution.

Is there gameplay of "Slush buildup" for snow? Because that seems to imply that the snow gets heavy enough that roads become blanketed in snow. We've seen some intense rain and some mild rain, and both look gorgeous and serve different purposes... we've seen light snow where roads become slippery as shown in the photomode video, but can we expect even heavier snow?

Gah! I'll have to settle for the PS+ Edition for a while.
I had three games to decide on for the next few weeks and I chose Alien: Isolation. :/
Hopefully I didn't make a grave mistake.

The good news is by the time I get the full game hopefully photo-mode and weather will be in.
Fired up for the demo the PS+ Edition, though. Game is absolutely stunning!

Ploid 3.0

This lighting system man. GT7 better have some tech like this. They should be closely working with them and become BFF. More games need this type of lighting especially the ones that may have day/night/weather settings. I wonder how expensive it is performance wise. They don't need things like ambient occlusion so it should make it less expensive the more graphical tricks they ditch.

Are there any PC games with a lighting system like this? I want to mess around with it.

They need to make a game like this but with just ripoffs of known cars so they can go to town with destruction on them..

I'd love to race like this but when a crash like the above happens and you are rolling around you see the windows bust out, the side mirror is hanging off the side, the windshield is cracked, etc.

Would be awesome.

I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to this, but it is entirely physically accurate - we don't use fake shadows or mask sunlight by ambient occlusion, which often hides this 'effect'.

Under strong lighting conditions and from the right angle there won't be a shadow visible beneath the car. To show this I took a car out into the Evo car park, parked it so the sun was from directly behind and held a camera up in the air at similar angle to the chase camera.

Nothing is faked or baked in this image either ;) Number plates have been obviously obscured though.

floatingCar.jpg
Found some direct feed of this, thought I'd share.

in8TJldfkaUwy.png

hort22

how the shit is this game only 14.7 GB?

also i dont have a ps4 yet...count on this thread in 6 months...LTTP: Driveclub

They need to make a game like this but with just ripoffs of known cars so they can go to town with destruction on them..

I'd love to race like this but when a crash like the above happens and you are rolling around you see the windows bust out, the side mirror is hanging off the side, the windshield is cracked, etc.

Would be awesome.

Motorstorm Horizon City...I'd be down.

On another note, I saw the ad in Spanish, but apparently it is the same ad for UK too

Pretty good shots of gameplay, but not as good as the gifs shown :p Any reason why advertisers don't use the absolute best footage? The gifs in this thread are jawdropping and really make Driveclub stand out.

Would be awesome.

Like Burnout?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
What have I missed?

Some jokers saying this game is in trouble?

Also, the Forza vs DC comparison debate. DriveClub is made to shine on a giant TV/Projector or (hopefully) head mounted display.

If you're looking at the game through a computer monitor it just looks like a good looking racer with good motion blur, lighting and weather effects.

But you have to get the blown up picture to see just how incredibly detailed everything is.

And most importantly which is what some "professionals" *cough*IGN*cough* seem to be ignoring is that it plays like a fucking dream.

I swear if this game doesn't get the sales it deserves I give up on gaming media. They're bad mouthing something so good.

What the fuck ...

What have I missed?

Some jokers saying this game is in trouble?

Also, the Forza vs DC comparison debate. DriveClub is made to shine on a giant TV/Projector or (hopefully) head mounted display.

If you're looking at the game through a computer monitor it just looks like a good looking racer with good motion blur, lighting and weather effects.

But you have to get the blown up picture to see just how incredibly detailed everything is.

And most importantly which is what some "professionals" *cough*IGN*cough* seem to be ignoring is that it plays like a fucking dream.

I swear if this game doesn't get the sales it deserves I give up on gaming media. They're bad mouthing something so good.

What the fuck ...

I think it won't get the sales it deserves because of the PS+ version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey viveks, I think you don't need to accept people's friends requests. When I search for DRIVECLUB-GAF, I can see its friends anyway and add them.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I think it won't get the sales it deserves because of the PS+ version.

Oh, if they manage to gimp the PS+ version in just the right way to tantalize toe-dippers it has a good chance.

Also,... someone just joined my club lol.

Finally AG SYS taking off. So far I was the only one putting in Fame points,

benzy

This lighting system man. GT7 better have some tech like this. They should be closely working with them and become bbfl. More games need this type of lighting especially the ones that may have day/night/weather settings. I wonder how expensive it is performance wise. They don't need things like ambient occlusion so does it should make it less expensive the more graphical tricks they ditch.

Are there any PC games with a lighting system like this? I want to mess around with it.

The game uses global illumination, which is what ambient occlusion tries to aproximate so there's no need for AO. A full GI lighting system is much more hardware taxing than the baked ambient occlusion stuff. Cryengine 3 and Frostbite support real time GI as well, along with the tech used for The Order 1886.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom