• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Podcast Beyond really ripped into this game on the latest show (around the 5:45 mark). Among their critiques (not sure exactly who said what, I'm not good with attaching voices to names):

- it was delayed a year, it should have come out at system launch
- now it's coming out this fall, it should be pushed back because it's going to sell badly
- they didn't realize it wasn't a sim before listeners pointed it out to them, so they're mad that they didn't know that
- apparently they think a racing game should either be a sim or San Francisco Rush style arcade, there's no happy medium
- 'Drive Club is in real trouble' or something to that effect
I listened to that and just shook my head when they were saying all that crap. They themselves admit that they have no clue about racers and go on and criticize it for the delay.
I really hope it does well so that people like that can eat their words.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
MeriStation and Micromania TV just challenged AG SYS

WUT...

I gotta beat Team PROpulsion and GamesRadar Club...

What say you GAF?

Rack em up knock em down?

Ploid 3.0

I think it won't get the sales it deserves because of the PS+ version.

Though the PS+ version could be buttering them up for the addiction, making them want to unlock it and buy the DLCs. Some devs want their game in as many hands as possible. The PS+ thing is a good thing no matter what. Especially for DC2, or heck if they actually do Motorstorm PS4 new more people will know Evolution from that PS4 car game, and give Motorstorm a shot.

Better quality

MealyDistantDotterel.gif

Just realised the detail on the left glass of the door of the car after the 2nd spin...

That detail....

Auctopus

I find it so weird these features are coming out so 'soon' after launch. It's almost like Sony were like "Right, c'mon, you've had another year. Can we please release the base game and you can get to the other stuff later."

viveks86

I think it won't get the sales it deserves because of the PS+ version.

Even though your statement is debatable, I'm not going to argue it.

From what I've seen so far, I don't think Sony particularly cares about selling several millions. They want to build a fan base for the new IP. If that means giving out a portion of the game for free that people may just settle for, that seems ok in their books.

Same goes for their DLC plans. A lot of amazing stuff is being scheduled to come down the line (like weather, photo mode, potentially replay mode, 47 cars, 23 track variations), which is definitely going to reflect in some review scores as well as day one sales. It seems like they aren't too worried about that either. They seem to be in it for the long haul. The sequel will be interesting.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Better quality
MealyDistantDotterel.gif
And now I'm that much more happy to never ever be in a car crash. That's scary.

Rushy! Can you roll the Photo Mode camera a full 90 degrees? Please get that in there before it launches. It took Naughty Dog like 2-3 weeks to get that in.

I've had immense fun with GT5's photomode... I cannot wait to get my hands on DC's. Considering GT5 photomode approached photo realism at times, I just can't imagine what DC is going to look like.

I just can't get over how much atmosphere this game has.

Auctopus

From what I've seen so far, I don't think Sony particularly cares about selling several millions. They want to build a fan base for the new IP. If that means giving out a portion of the game for free that people may just settle for, that seems ok in their books.

Same goes for their DLC plans. A lot of amazing stuff is being scheduled to come down the line (like weather, photo mode, potentially replay mode, 47 cars, 23 track variations), which is definitely going to reflect in some review scores as well as day one sales. It seems like they aren't too worried about that either. They seem to be in it for the long haul. The sequel will be interesting.

Additionally, I think if the game is that good then people will want more. They'll tire of the same tracks and want the other countries/cars.

I find it so weird these features are coming out so 'soon' after launch. It's almost like Sony were like "Right, c'mon, you've had another year. Can we please release the base game and you can get to the other stuff later."

There wasn't going to be any weather originally, but Evo were tinkering around and got it working, so a few month's ago it was decided to put it in the released game.

I could be remembering it wrong though, but I'm sure it was a relatively recent decision.

Is it just me or do the roll directions seem odd in the gif? I noticed this in another rollover clip posted before too.

He goes into the slide as he turns right, the the car appears to hit something, which I would think would send it rolling left. But it looks like it appears to roll away from the direction of travel, before somehow reversing roll direction and then spinning left.

Or am I just crazy? It still looks incredible though, that camera shake really gets me in the gut. Scary stuff

Better quality

MealyDistantDotterel.gif

Wow, that is pretty crazy awesome. I wonder if you always end upright after a crash or if you can end up on your roof.

And the observation above brought up a good point. The car is sliding left why does it roll right? Kinda odd

Neil_J_UK

Will we be able to play it on the 7th on our UK account?

Yes, I've done this before with The Last of Us Remastered.

If you buy from US then you should get all pre-order bonuses on that account, but you should still be able to play them on your UK account.

There isn't any pre-order bonus from the US PSN store. I'm OK with that as long as it's just the liveries, I want to make sure I will definitely be able to use the RUF/ AMG / McClaren cars (without pre-order liveries) if I get it from the US PSN.

Is it just me or do the roll directions seem odd in the gif? I noticed this in another rollover clip posted before too.

He goes into the slide as he turns right, the the car appears to hit something, which I would think would send it rolling left. But it looks like it appears to roll away from the direction of travel, before somehow reversing roll direction and then spinning left.

Or am I just crazy? It still looks incredible though, that camera shake really gets me in the gut. Scary stuff

I like the way that spectator at the end just stands there with his hands in his pockets nonchalantly studying the carnage.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just realised the detail on the left glass of the door of the car after the 2nd spin...

That detail....

The corner of the windshield is also crushed/cracked.

I do hope we have a more hardcore mode, maybe patched in later that has more severe damage penalties. It always makes races with real poeple more interesting as it makes everyone more careful.

It's like the old shareware model that worked so well for DOOM, and it'll be interesting to see if they repeat the experiment with anything else.

Ploid 3.0

It looks like it ran up the little bank where the fence is. It looks like a small ramp and the left side hits it first along with the momentum. The car wouldn't have flipped if not for that it seems. It would have just spin out with perhaps.

Hill judo, redirection of energy.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Goes without saying. Post your carnage report when the job is done.

MeriStationCOM: 1:15.771
Team PROpulsion: 1:15:762

AG SYS: 1:14:771

TUPScuatro: 1:14.502

131493571695.gif

AndyD

aka andydumi
Wow, that is pretty crazy awesome. I wonder if you always end upright after a crash or if you can end up on your roof.

And the observation above brought up a good point. The car is sliding left why does it roll right? Kinda odd

It may be doing a float in the air before rolling, or two impacts. It's hard to explain but I have seen it happen in racing. The initial speed causes a glide roll/rotation in the air but then upon landing and slowing down the traditional rolling takes place.

I don´t care about reviews, I believe in myself!!

Now, jk aside, reviews take themselves to seriously now, this is gaming, this is about a game being fun, so I don´t care about the scores but the actual description of the game and its features.

BiGBoSSMk23

Beat the shit outta him.

Posting video soon.

ViciousDS

Banned

he smacks the fence 180's the car and then rolls.....it happens so fast, but look at when he first smacks the fence and right before he rolls. You can see the car rotates a good degree and then flips.

It may be doing a float in the air before rolling, or two impacts. It's hard to explain but I have seen it happen in racing. The initial speed causes a glide roll/rotation in the air but then upon landing and slowing down the traditional rolling takes place.

I didn't even notice it initially. Would be neat to see the crash from 3rd person too to get the whole perspective. Crash animation is flat out amazing.

BiGBoSSMk23

Seriously, this game's driving model is pure sex.

I LOVE it.

That or that Lotus Evora is just dreamy.

viveks86

he smacks the fence 180's the car and then rolls.....it happens so fast, but look at when he first smacks the fence and right before he rolls. You can see the car rotates a good degree and then flips.

I don't know what either of you guys are talking about. It happens too fast that I can't make shit out. I'm getting old! :(

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'm just pulling psychics out of my butt but I think this is correct. The cars back wheels go clockwise out from underneath the car, and that momentum carries the car clockwise in the air. I don't know. Go get a toy car and make it do that. It totally makes sense in my head. Maybe if the left side of the car had some traction, the car would tip over from the right side because it couldn't stop in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom