• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I went against big jeffrey's advice and bought this.

Afraid to open the shrinkwrap. Going against the gerstmann has never lead me to anything but sadness.

Shift down until you're not instantly back in the red when you accelerate again.
Shifting down will also engine brake you, but you tend to shift down as/after you brake

My friend noticed that you cant downshift when in the red, you have to slow down first and then downshift (to about what would amount to 4 - 6 RPM).

I dont really know why you would down shift when in the red but he said he likes to take corners and do that so when he comes out of it his engine is over reving.

He tried to explain it to me but I didnt get it. He said he could do it in every other racer he has played besides this one.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

OneUh8

Afraid to open the shrinkwrap. Going against the gerstmann has never lead me to anything but sadness.

I dunno he would be the last person I would take game advice from honestly. And I love Jeff. He is just almost always pessimistic when talking about games.

I dunno he would be the last person I would take game advice from honestly. And I love Jeff. He is just almost always pessimistic when talking about games.

Pretty much this. I respect him, but don't trust his reviews because he's just too jaded and idiosyncratic.

My friend noticed that you cant downshift when in the red, you have to slow down first and then downshift (to about what would amount to 4 - 6 RPM).

I dont really know why you would down shift when in the red but he said he likes to take corners and do that so when he comes out of it his engine is over reving.

He tried to explain it to me but I didnt get it. He said he could do it in every other racer he has played besides this one.

He is doing that to keep the engine at high revs so he doesn't lose too much speed around corners and can pick up speed coming out faster. In reality you shouldn't be able to downshift in the red (I'm not 100% sure as I don't own a race car) because it would cause your engine to rev too high or hit the rev limiter.

If I'm completely off base here, can someone with racing experience please make me look like a fool. Thanks in advance.

Anarion07

He is doing that to keep the engine at high revs so he doesn't lose too much speed around corners and can pick up speed coming out faster. In reality you shouldn't be able to downshift in the red (I'm not 100% sure as I don't own a race car) because it would cause your engine to rev too high or hit the rev limiter.

If I'm completely off base here, can someone with racing experience please make me look like a fool. Thanks in advance.

Yep Rushy confirmed you can't do any shifting that would harm the engine and is thus also not available in the real manumatic car

Just made a club so please GAF join me: Auto Da Luz is the name of the club. If it matters to you, I'm in North America. It doesn't matter to me where you are from, just join!

I'm not a serious player by any means and am new to driving games, but I've been playing a ton of Driveclub and loving it. It's not activated right now, but I have no clue how to make it active. Any suggestions?

Nick0602

Neo Member

Yeah I noticed it as well. At first I thought my square button was kinda broken (lol), then I realized that you can't downshift whenever you want.

For example if you're in this situation (look at the speedometer) you can't downshift:

You have to slow down first and then downshift. That said, for example you can't downshift from 4th to 2nd gear (as you could do in other racing games) by double pressing square.

Hoje0308

Banned

Not a racer, but any semi-auto transmission should have some programming in the ECU to prevent shifting into a gear that could harm the engine or (more important) lock the drivetrain and cause the driver to lose control. With a purely mechanical setup I don't know, but even if you could the powered wheels would likely lock.

Edit: Also, the part of the rev range with the most torque is not at the redline. Your friend could accelerate more quickly by being in the correct gear.

Over-revving is a great way to cause catastrophic damage to engine valves and pistons.
I think it was noted that you can't perform a manual action that would damage the vehicle.

Edit: Beaten

IKizzLE

On GTTime, Bloodworth mentioned how shocked he was at some of the review scores (5, and 6s) and cant believe some of the criticisms that were made. Remarked that these same reviewers gave Split/Second higher scores (84 on meta) and that had less content, got boring fast and was repetitive halfway through the game.

So if your a fan of racing games, I would take reviews from people who don't like racing games with a grain of salt.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So, any tips on ho to get sub 1:17:00 on the Hot Lap in Norway? I'm using the Lotus and I swear that one section of a Red Turn-Yellow Turn-Yellow Turn is what's killing my time. I don't know how to enter that Red Turn correctly. :(

Yep Rushy confirmed you can't do any shifting that would harm the engine and is thus also not available in the real manumatic car

I see. If they removed that because its something you can't do in real life then I think my friend will appreciate that, he said it really bothered him but that he loved the game. Neither of us know very much about actual racing.

Its interested to see how many people are playing this game that are not all that interested in racers.

My girlfriend is addicted and she has never cared much for racers.

Auctopus

Just played about 5 games online. Connection was great, didn't see any lagging etc.

Did see a fair amount of bashing but if you stay away from it, it works to your benefit.

Won 4/5 in the name of 'GAF EU' ;)

Not a racer, but any semi-auto transmission should have some programming in the ECU to prevent shifting into a gear that could harm the engine or (more important) lock the drivetrain and cause the driver to lose control. With a purely mechanical setup I don't know, but even if you could the powered wheels would likely lock.

Edit: Also, the part of the rev range with the most torque is not at the redline. Your friend could accelerate more quickly by being in the correct gear.

And by taking a good racing line through the turn.

doomquake

Any news on the PS+ edition? Still patiently waiting to try out the handling of cars before getting the full upgrade!

jBXuE.gif

yep
tumblr_md0eayYhd11r17bgz.gif

I said the hell with waiting to try the PS+ version and just grabbed the $50 version this afternoon. I put in a couple hours and love it so far. Nice to not have to tune the cars and thus have more of an arcade racer with just enough sim feel for me. Looks great too. I ended up moving accelerate and brake to buttons as the triggers tire my fingers out too fast.

I immediately changed controls to what I was used to on Gran Tourismo for all those years. X for accelerate, square for break and steering with the D-Pad. Not as good as a proper wheel setup for me but still works great especially for short dabs between braking and accelerating

Just played about 5 games online. Connection was great, didn't see any lagging etc.

Did see a fair amount of bashing but if you stay away from it, it works to your benefit.

Won 4/5 in the name of 'GAF EU' ;)

Nice! Now tell us HOW THE F*&K did you get online? I've played since launch and haven't connected once yet! :(

Auctopus

Nice! Now tell us HOW THE F*&K did you get online? I've played since launch and haven't connected once yet! :(

Sorry! Like getting home drunk, I don't know how the heck I did it! I just clicked Multiplayer to see if I could do it and it gave me some playlists. I clicked the first one and played through about 5 games before it kicked me. Very enjoyable experience.

Sorry! Like getting home drunk, I don't know how the heck I did it! I just clicked Multiplayer to see if I could do it and it gave me some playlists. I clicked the first one and played through about 5 games before it kicked me. Very enjoyable experience.

They really need to sort this online out. I'm dying to get on. sigh... :(

aro52

I immediately changed controls to what I was used to on Gran Tourismo for all those years. X for accelerate, square for break and steering with the D-Pad. Not as good as a proper wheel setup for me but still works great especially for short dabs between braking and accelerating

But how well does that work without the analog buttons? I too was a big fan of the Gran Turismo layout, but aren't the face buttons digital "all or nothing" now, on PS4?

Hawk269

Heading home soon...

How are the servers today? When I tried last night it was a no go. I have yet to be connected since launch. I am about a little more than half way done with the single player (counting the total amount of stars available) and want to have my stuff registered on-line and also try to beat some of you guys! :)

Stike

So, today I managed to have somewhat stable online connections.

It was hit and miss though, so not perfectly working.

However, today was the first day I was ever online with DC, so I think... WE HAVE AN IMPROVEMENT, GUYS!

Finally starting this up after finishing Shadow of Mordor 100%.

It's been a while since I bought a racer so I'm definitely going to have to brush up on my driving before doing anything online.

But how well does that work without the analog buttons? I too was a big fan of the Gran Turismo layout, but aren't the face buttons digital "all or nothing" now, on PS4?

Fine for me, but even then I was always 'all or nothing' it was just the way I played. I never partial throttled or braked I'd always lift or brake to get a better exit and floor it. Not for everyone of course but for years I played like that and it came straight back to me :)

viveks86

Just made a club so please GAF join me: Auto Da Luz is the name of the club. If it matters to you, I'm in North America. It doesn't matter to me where you are from, just join!

I'm not a serious player by any means and am new to driving games, but I've been playing a ton of Driveclub and loving it. It's not activated right now, but I have no clue how to make it active. Any suggestions?

Simple!

1) Add DRIVECLUB-GAF to your PSN friends list
2) Add everyone who shows up under its friends list
3) Profit!

And then post your details here

You will find people soon enough.

Im absolutely loving this so far, it really is superb, hope rushy and the evo team are hearing all the messages of support rather than the concern trolls and wind up merchants

Okay, so on PSN it wont let me download the driveclub PS+ thing cause it says "You already own PS+" but i don't have driveclub anywhere on my main screen or in my library, anybody know whats up??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom