• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Absolutely loving this game so far. The sense of speed and weight is incredible, as is the overall atmosphere and music. Just think they should have put more of the menu music in the races, and a touch less drum and bass in place of more dub step or house. Still, my kind of music all around.

On a side note, the changes in lighting and the way it constantly affects your visibility is awesome. So far for me its all HUD off, Dash cam view with no rear view mirror (I just look behind instead).

TheBear

I don't want to play this game any more until I connect to my club.
What's the best way to get online? I've been staring at the menu screen for the last 10 minutes and it's not working :(

First multiplayer race ever, half the lobby picks the Bentley Continental for some reason, then for the entire race people were shifting in and out of reality and I still ended up with a DNF. :(

TheMan

is pcars pretty set for its november release date? i got paid today and despite the online issues, the driveclub 49.99 version is starting to look kind of appealing...

viveks86

What's the best way to get online? I've been staring at the menu screen for the last 10 minutes and it's not working :(

I just do old events and try to improve my score. It seems to attempt to connect more often when you play. Keeps me in the game, but doesn't affect my chances of leveling up the club. Shit is so addictive that I need to be playing something O_O

Absolutely loving this game so far. The sense of speed and weight is incredible, as is the overall atmosphere and music. Just think of hey should have put more of th menu music in the races, and a touch less drum and bass in place of more dub step or house. Still, my kind of music all around.

On a side note, the changes in lighting and the way it constantly affects your visibility is awesome. So far for me its all HUD off, Dash cam view with no rear view mirror (I just look behind instead).
I like to leave the rear view mirror on so I can cut people off trying to pass me. Yup, I'm that guy.

viveks86

is pcars pretty set for its november release date? i got paid today and despite the online issues, the driveclub 49.99 version is starting to look kind of appealing...

Who knows. Anything can happen between now and November. Look at this game for instance… ;)

nib95

Banned
I like to leave the rear view mirror on so I can cut people off trying to pass me. Yup, I'm that guy.

I still do that lol. But just do a quick peek behind to check.

On the side note, the menu music makes you feel like an absolute bad ass lol.

Using my Beyerdynamic T1's and it sounds insane. Kinda feel the oomph from my old Audeze LCD-2's would have lent themselves nicely though!

ColEx

It's a pretty good racing game, and it makes me want to get a wheel to use. Can only hope Sony sort out the lack of decent affordable wheel choices for PS4.

Anarion07

Goddamnit Punching above your weight was a b*tch

other than that I'm not in luck today. 6 hours playing/home screen and no single connection

Wynnebeck

Banned

I cut people off all the time. Or if I see you trying to draft off of me, I'll steer out of the way so you can't overtake me. It's a dog eat dog race out there and I'm in it to win it. :p

On the side note, the menu music makes you feel like an absolute bad ass lol.
Mmmmhmmm.

I always have this game blasted with the ole Astros, and there's some damn meaty bass thumps in the menu music, when it isn't being all dreamy and ethereal. Both make for great punctuation between events.

Once I'm on the track proper the music is gone and I have everything else cranked up. And once you pass this particular volume threshold the expansiveness of the sound envelope really grabs you by the neck and doesn't let go. Tire squeal sounds perfect in my setup, but sometimes the chunky bounce and crackle of going off-road comes through a lot louder than I'm ever ready for.

I just do old events and try to improve my score. It seems to attempt to connect more often when you play. Keeps me in the game, but doesn't affect my chances of leveling up the club. Shit is so addictive that I need to be playing something O_O

Yesterday I just started a time trial and left my car sitting on the track. Came back an hour later and it had connected me to the servers :p

Anecdotal.

viveks86

Or if I see you trying to draft off of me, I'll steer out of the way so you can't overtake me. It's a dog eat dog race out there and I'm in it to win it. :p

This!

Yesterday I just started a time trial and left my car sitting on the track. Came back an hour later and it had connected me to the servers :p

Anecdotal.

It's all a matter of probability. I know a friend who seemed to connect every time he did a quick drift event. I tried doing the same and nothing happened. Tried for 30 minutes and gave up! :/

So having played a lot more and seeing a lot more tracks, my one complaint is definitely the graphics. I just did an evening track where the sun was shining through the trees and the shadows cast on my windscreen were so blocky it was unreal. Not sure how that type of thing got through QA.

Some of the textures are horrible. A lot of the scenery is bland. A lot of the scenery looks really good which also makes the bad stuff stand out twice as much. It also doesn't seem to have a very good IQ for a game that's 1080p... not sure what makes it look a bit dodgy but it's definitely not as crisp as I'd expect, at least in cockpit mode.

If this was a launch title I could understand it, even though I'd still be disappointed, but after a 1 year delay? What's going on?

Surely the PS4 can do better than this.

I think part of me has been spoiled by PC racers but still, there must be some weird stuff going on under the hood to have it look this... mixed and underwhelming.

Since I'm just complaining about the graphics it means they have made a fun racing game at least.

My complaint is about the shadows. They look SQUARE from a few meters, and very nice closer. That looks weird when the camera is moving.

Nick0602

Neo Member
Woah, online races are pretty fun and challenging, expecially when you don't play with random people that keep shouting in voice chat (mute option ftw).

Awesome! I can't connect anymore tho :( Guess I just got lucky.
Level 2 right now! :D

It's random, you have to be lucky I guess :\

nib95

Banned
Mmmmhmmm.

I always have this game blasted with the ole Astros, and there's some damn meaty bass thumps in the menu music, when it isn't being all dreamy and ethereal. Both make for great punctuation between events.

Once I'm on the track proper the music is gone and I have everything else cranked up. And once you pass this particular volume threshold the expansiveness of the sound envelope really grabs you by the neck and doesn't let go. Tire squeal sounds perfect in my setup, but sometimes the chunky bounce and crackle of going off-road comes through a lot louder than I'm ever ready for.

How would you rate the Astros? Thinking I might get another pair of headphones that have a mic.

I've still got music on at 70% in races (SFX at 100%). Figure I'll turn it off when the sound tracks get too samey or if I really want to focus.

Bah, I really wish I had the money to get this... Being a responsible adult sucks ass hairs. Its ok, I can wait for the ps+ version. I just started playing uncharted (I know, I know, really late) for the first time, so I have all 3 games to go through.

Have fun with Uncharted series. IMO one of the most fun games to play. Can't believe you haven't played them yet.

SSReborn

Why do I have a BAC mono? I accidentally pressed continue on the screen explaining
If you're in an MP race and you are in the faster races (I believe it's a super, or hyper) if you don't have a car for that car class type they give you a "rental" so you can still participate.

This game needs the cars to have a horn or the ability to flip off other players.

6dwu.gif

NotBacon

Are there benefits for driving manual? Also, how do you drive manual? haha.
I know you shift up when you hit the red zone but when do you shift down?

Also, is there an estimate for the weather update? Next week? Next month? Next year?

Hopefully they can get them fixed soon, I really want to try DriveClub out !! Might be another week :S

I'm hoping they sort this out this weekend. But I'm ok if it takes a while as long as when it comes on it doesn't go down again. This game is awesome if you like racing games. But just give it a little time to click. Once it does it sinks it's hooks in you and you'll be up late into the nights shaving .0023 seconds off your time and hating yourself for it at work, only to go home and do it again. :/

Topi

Banned
I just realised getting 225 out of 225 stars on the tour was useless as none of that counted towards my club's progress. Is there any way to start the game all over again?

How would you rate the Astros? Thinking I might get another pair of headphones that have a mic.
Expensive, but I picked some wired Astro A40s so I could have up to 7.1 of game audio, the ability to fully balance game audio vs. voice chat, AND the option to pipe in an additional channel of sound from the PC for music and podcasts while playing. It also works on both the Xbox One and PS4 but I had to get an optical splitter to get that to work, and even then chat only works for each console if I have the Astro's plugged in to that console's USB. But its nice to have one headset ready to go for both.

So yeah, great, but pricey, and needs some setup. But for what I was looking for they fit the bill and then some.

It also means I can blast the hell out of driving game audio without pissing off everybody else, and I most definitely take advantage of that.

aindriu80

Neo Member
I'm hoping they sort this out this weekend. But I'm ok if it takes a while as long as when it comes on it doesn't go down again. This game is awesome if you like racing games. But just give it a little time to click. Once it does it sinks it's hooks in you and you'll be up late into the nights shaving .0023 seconds off your time and hating yourself for it at work, only to go home and do it again. :/

can't wait !!

Also, is there an estimate for the weather update? Next week? Next month? Next year?

Weather is slated for before end of the year. Manual driving is harder to master but you can potentially shave off more time once you master it.

bombshell

I just realised getting 225 out of 225 stars on the tour was useless as none of that counted towards my club's progress. Is there any way to start the game all over again?

You can try and delete your save, but back it up first in case you regret it.

Moozo

Shift down until you're not instantly back in the red when you accelerate again.
Shifting down will also engine brake you, but you tend to shift down as/after you brake

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I said the hell with waiting to try the PS+ version and just grabbed the $50 version this afternoon. I put in a couple hours and love it so far. Nice to not have to tune the cars and thus have more of an arcade racer with just enough sim feel for me. Looks great too. I ended up moving accelerate and brake to buttons as the triggers tire my fingers out too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom