• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same answer. Needs private lobby. Without that, you will face randoms/other clubs even if you go in as a full club.
So if I get this right, the only thing you can do as a club, together, is to go online and get matched up with randoms?

What about asynchronous challenges? Are any of those specifically club based or meant for multiple drivers of the same club at once sharing the track? Or is the idea that every player does these on their own against ghosts?

I really have no interest in playing online with randoms, so I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do as part of a club - outside of accruing points and doing solo challenges that is.

Tankshell

Haven't had as much time to test this over the weekend as I would have liked, but from what I have played, I think it is great.

- As others have said, the handling of the cars feels perfect, nice and weighty, without being too much of a sim.

- I was initially a bit disappointed by how short the point-to-point tacks are (coming from a hardcore Colin McRae Rally 1,2 gamer :)), and also how few of them there actually are, but those that do exist (basically 2 in each country, for a total of 10, not counting reverse versions), are very well done, and look great.

Going to wait for the online issues to resolve before digging in properly.

FeiRR

Banned
I was trying to create a club with the name me and my friends use when playing together (696) when I got this message. Seriously?
z3BLksq.jpg

kyser73

DRIVECLUB | OT2 | Call of DRIVECLUB: Modern Racing

Based on what a few people are saying about the clannish MP & stupid addicting powers of the game...

Joe4Man

Neo Member
If anyone is looking for an empty spot in a club, theres 4 spots open in my club presently. Club name is CrashDown, or you can find it by adding me as a friend (saunderez84).
Hey mate, just thought I'd drop a line and say hi. I joined your club a couple of days ago, you're on my friends list from Diablo 3 I think and thought why not, let's rock some club xp together! Looking forward to a more stable connection so I can create some challenges for you. Later, Joe.

viveks86

So if I get this right, the only thing you can do as a club is to go online and get matched up with randoms?

What about asynchronous challenges? Those are club based? Or is the idea that every player does these on their own against ghosts?

There are club challenges, where the leaderboard is organized by how each club collectively performed the challenge. But they are async too. So yes, players are racing against challengers' ghosts.

There's really no point in live club challenges unless it's a club vs club race. Timetrials or drift are, by design, not meant to be tackled live. And it wouldn't make sense for one club to challenge another random club since they would have no idea about that club's availability. Private lobbies are where people would go for coordinated races. Until that's ready, matchmaking is what we have.

I really have no interest in playing online with randoms, so I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do as part of a club - outside of accruing points and doing solo challenges that is.

Well, it's about planning with your team on what challenges to take on and what clubs to take on. If you aren't interested in racing randoms, then there will be tons of challenges that you could work on for the club (though performed solo). When private lobbies become a thing, all these gaps will be filled.

saunderez

If I don't forget joining your club tonight then I will do so. I also have a club but none of my friends are playing and I want to have the club xp. PSN id is bankai-steve

Friend invite sent, I'll send you a club invite if I jump back on the PS4 a bit later.

saunderez

Hey mate, just thought I'd drop a line and say hi. I joined your club a couple of days ago, you're on my friends list from Diablo 3 I think and thought why not, let's rock some club xp together! Looking forward to a more stable connection so I can create some challenges for you. Later, Joe.

Hey hey! Was pretty stoked to to see I had a member when I jumped on this afternoon, I did a couple of races and got us to level 3, hopefully with a few more members we can blast through the ranks pretty quickly. Looking forward to the challenges!

Challenges are what brought everything down. They'd probably be the last thing to go up whenever they fix it (not sure if they have yet).

Ahh okay.

So if you create a club does your progress immediately start counting toward your Club ranking even if others haven't accepted the invite to your club? Since I can connect I want to start playing, but only if my progress is going to count toward my overall club progress.

Nyx

Ahh okay.

So if you create a club does your progress immediately start counting toward your Club ranking even if others haven't accepted the invite to your club? Since I can connect I want to start playing, but only if my progress is going to count toward my overall club progress.

You need at least 1 extra member for your club to become active.

Well, it's about planning with your team on what challenges to take on and what clubs to take on. If you aren't interested in racing randoms, then there will be tons of challenges that you could work on for the club (though performed solo). When private lobbies become a thing, all these gaps will be filled.
That and I'd hope for Evo to consider co-op events and co-op challenges.

I really, really am at a loss to explain this. And I take it you can't do any of the tour races in co-op?

Take this with some grain of salt as I haven't tried it myself but I'm pretty sure you can't. The Tour is after all the single player mode of the game. The same goes for the "Single Event" mode, in which you can "create your own single-player event". And even if you could race those together with your club members, all it would amount to in terms of interaction/competition with other clubs is getting more points to climb up the overall club leaderboard, which for me just doesn't seem enough.
So yeah, the way the game presents itself in its current state suggests that all its club mechanisms are heavily geared towards the challenge system, which unfortunately hasn't been working due to the server issues. Maybe, hopefully, it's engaging enough to justify all the game's buzz about its Club system.

If so, yeah, count me as another player curious as to what state the game was in a year ago and what exactly changed from then to now. I get that stuff is on the way, but even the very core stuff that is the team based racing is still undercooked.

I absolutely adore the racing, but yeah, I can't wrap my head around it. Development of this title must have been very interesting.

I don't know whether all of this is indicative of the game's wonky development process or just how the game was set out to be, but it's certainly not what I expected from its Club system.

Kane1345

Sorry if this has been asked before but is it confirmed that once you make a club any offline fame you earn is transferred to the club when you get a connection along with accolades?

To be fair it's pretty far above average.

I think it's pretty much the definition of a 3*, 5/10, average racer to be honest.

+ Fun track design.
+ Cool challenge system.
+ Great sense of speed.
+ Simple but streamlined and well paced single player career.
+ Good sound design.

+/- Middling handling system - fun to be able to nail any track first time but not rewarding or challenging.
+/- Can look really great but also not very "next-gen" - just very inconsistent and to be honest not what I would expect from a game that had an extra year of "polish".

- Awful AI - they stick to the racing line and don't know how to overtake.
- Unfair penalty system (-200 for AI ramming me, thanks!)
- Broken online implementation.
- Dusk lighting makes racing a squint-a-thon. Why no option for headlights?
- Very limited options.

I'm on 150/225 now and once I finish the single player I'm never going to touch it again. I'll be starting Forza Horizon 2 at the end of the month and then pCars sometime next month - I have no doubts both will make DC a distant memory by the end of the year.

Really, the world didn't need this game. What the world does need is another balls out arcade racer like Motorstorm.

Or, more specifically, Motorstorm Apocalypse which was utter insanity and brilliant because of it.

I'm not even a big fan of racing games but I am full on addicted to driveclub. I'm just passed the Semi-pro tournament and managed to get 3 stars on everything so far. And I have played soooo many single event time trials and just taking in the views at different times of days. The point 2 point tracks are such a joy to play and haven't got old yet.

Hopefully the servers will be better later on this week.

Nyx

I think it's pretty much the definition of a 3*, 5/10, average racer to be honest.

+ Fun track design.
+ Cool challenge system.
+ Great sense of speed.
+ Good sound design.

+/- Middling handling system - fun to be able to nail any track first time but not rewarding or challenging.
+/- Can look really great but also not very "next-gen" - just very inconsistent and to be honest not what I would expect from a game that had an extra year of "polish".

- Very limited options.

I'm on 150/225 now and once I finish the single player I'm never going to touch it again. I'll be starting Forza Horizon 2 at the end of the month and then pCars sometime next month - I have no doubts both will make DC a distant memory by the end of the year.

Really, the world didn't need this game. What the world does need is another balls out arcade racer like Motorstorm.

Or, more specifically, Motorstorm Apocalypse which was utter insanity and brilliant because of it.

I never get this, ''hey I already have 150/225 stars, but the world didn't need this game at all''

+ Fun track design.
+ Cool challenge system.
+ Great sense of speed.
+ Good sound design.

- Very limited options.

Do you know this game has updates planned for next 8 months as free and season pass with more cars, tracks, features and events? Also the new updates bringing Dynamic weather which will make the driving hard on those conditions to be challenging and changes to the game based on the community feedback. This game has something to do every month and with online its so much better once they are up and running.

I never get this, ''hey I already have 150/225 stars, but the world didn't need this game at all''

But it doesn't. I'm playing it because I don't have my XBone yet for FH2 and PCARS isn't out yet. Being able to have fun with something doesn't mean it needs to exist, or exist more than something that would be more unique and fun like Motorstorm.

It's a crowded market and DC has done nothing that stands out from the crowd.

Do you know this game has updates planned for next 8 months as free and season pass with more cars and events? Also the new updates bringing Dynamic weather which will make the driving hard on those conditions to be challenging and changes to the game based on the community feedback. This game has something to do every month and with online its so much better once they are up and running.

Which is great if people want to stick with it, but I'm not going to. Your game should be finished at launch. Not to mention I don't believe any updates they do could really elevate it to the level it needs to be - that's full sequel territory.

Which I will be happy to give a chance.

murgo

So I was finally able to create our club and do 2 online races. Now it's back to giving me connection errors. Fuck this shit.
And holy crap, I can't even use my club livery if I'm not connected.

wickfut

Banned
I'm around for the next few hours if anyone wants to play some MP. PSN - Neil_J_UK

Good luck with that. Sony are supposed to be doing a server shutdown until 5pm.

PlayStation Network is offline for scheduled maintenance from 18:00 on Monday 13 October 2014 until 01:00 Tuesday 14 October 2014 BST.

During the maintenance, you will be unable to access the following services:

PlayStation Store on all devices.
PlayStation Network Account Management.
PlayStation Network Account Registration.
Entertainment services.
Online gameplay - however, you may still play online if you are already signed into your SEN account via the relevant device before the maintenance begins.
In addition, you will not be able to sign in to PlayStation Network from eu.playstation.com.

During this maintenance, you can continue to collect in-game trophies and these will be updated on your profile once PlayStation Network is back up and running.

If you have any questions about this down time, feel free to visit the official PlayStation Forums at community.eu.playstation.com where you can post your query and a member of the Community Team will get back to you.

For the latest maintenance updates, visit the PlayStation Blog at blog.eu.playstation.com, keep an eye on our Facebook page at facebook.com/SonyPlayStation and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/PLAYSTATIONEU.

23qwerty

But it doesn't. I'm playing it because I don't have my XBone yet for FH2 and PCARS isn't out yet. Being able to have fun with something doesn't mean it needs to exist, or exist more than something that would be more unique and fun like Motorstorm.

Which is great if people want to stick with it, but I'm not going to. Your game should be finished at launch. Not to mention I don't believe any updates they do could really elevate it to the level it needs to be - that's full sequel territory.

There's arguably never been a racing game that looks as good as a lot of this game, so.... you're wrong I guess. Congrats?

Nyx

For me it did.

The graphics, lighting, sense of speed, insane loading times, great track layouts and the handling set it apart from most of the other available racers, for me at least.

There's never been a racing game that looks as good as this, so.... you're wrong I guess. Congrats?

Project CARS. Although that is PC so a bit of an unfair comparison.

I do still believe the PS4 is capable of producing a better looking game than this, though. It will be interesting to see what GT7 looks like.

23qwerty

Project CARS. Although that is PC so a bit of an unfair comparison.

I do still believe the PS4 is capable of producing a better looking game than this, though. It will be interesting to see what GT7 looks like.

in IQ if you have a very very good PC? Sure. but everything else? Naw.

Which is great if people want to stick with it, but I'm not going to.Your game should be finished at launch. Not to mention I don't believe any updates they do could really elevate it to the level it needs to be - that's full sequel territory.

You really seems like want to stop playing this game now and don't trust the developer even if they make it better (they promised to do) with updates and provide something to play in long term, like you want everything at launch to play for a while and forget it. This game is meant to be social racer with focus on online and community with clubs and challenges, so they planned to evolve this game around players with updates for long term from the start but not launch the game everything and forget then move to next project.

Also mind that this game is new IP so they have to do everything from the scratch unlike Forza which has already everything in content ready and they just added some next gen graphics and enhancements to the existing game, so there is nothing new at all.

in IQ if you have a very very good PC? Sure. but everything else? Naw.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. There's some awful texture work all round on the tracks/environments. When you're going really fast it looks good but as soon as you're going slow it falls apart for me.

At least, in a lot of areas. Like I said, it's too inconsistent. Some things do look great. It's just not that complete package unfortunately.

You really seems like want to stop playing this game now and don't trust the developer even if they make it better (they promised to do) with updates and provide something to play in long term, like you want everything at launch to play for a while and forget it. This game is meant to be social racer with focus on online and community with clubs and challenges, so they planned to evolve this game around players with updates for long term from the start but not launch the game everything and forget then move to next project.

Also mind that this game is new IP so they have to do everything from the scratch unlike Forza which has already everything in content ready and they just added some next gen graphics and enhancements to the existing game, so there is nothing new at all.

I've never been interested in the social element. For me it's all about the racing, which is why the awful AI and middling handling system is such a killer.

I want to finish it, but beyond that it has no hooks to keep me interested. If the driving model was better I'd happily stick around for a bit of online racing, but it's not there for me.

And yeah I do want everything there at launch to be honest. I miss buying a game and everything is just fucking finished. I paid for the game and now I have to sit and wait as they leak out content? It's bullshit. But that's an industry wide problem.

Project CARS is a multiplatform title. If you don't want to discuss playing DC, go somewhere else. You don't need to exist here.

That poster challenged a point I was making about Driveclub. Touchy much? I was merely elaborating on why I find the graphics disappointing.

wickfut

Banned
I've never been interested in the social element. For me it's all about the racing, which is why the awful AI and middling handling system is such a killer.

I want to finish it, but beyond that it has no hooks to keep me interested. If the driving model was better I'd happily stick around for a bit of online racing, but it's not there for me.

And yeah I do want everything there at launch to be honest. I miss buying a game and everything is just fucking finished. I paid for the game and now I have to sit and wait as they leak out content? It's bullshit. But that's an industry wide problem.

So how many hours did you get out of the single player ?

Nyx

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. There's some awful texture work all round on the tracks/environments. When you're going really fast it looks good but as soon as you're going slow it falls apart for me.

At least, in a lot of areas. Like I said, it's too inconsistent. Some things do look great. It's just not that complete package unfortunately.

Just as in every other racegame. And ''falls apart'' is a bit too much imo. Sure there are bits that don't look as good when you're driving slow or standing still, but to say it falls apart, nah.

I love the AI and handling, but I guess it's just opinions ey.

wickfut

Banned
I don't know, 6-8 so far? Probably 12 by the time I'm done.

12 hours out of a game you don't care for.. that's more than I've put into some games I like.

Do you play with a wheel ?

This game is really something else when played with a wheel. It's like a different game. Probably the best/most fun handling I've had in a racing game.

I want to finish it, but beyond that it has no hooks to keep me interested.
If the driving model was better I'd happily stick around for a bit of online racing, but it's not there for me.

Well, if you are not interested in social aspects and just want single player then this is not for you. Btw the handling is very good between arcade and simulation and many like this which is not middling and it can be little subjective but not a killer in this game. I agree AI is not great but its ok to me, they can tweak this in their updates so there is a possibility.

Wow, 150 stars in 6-8 hours? You must be a racing god. :D
(or, I suck..)

I'm estimating so it might be more but I doubt it. I get 3 stars on my first try on most, unless it's drifting. I suck at drifting! >.<

12 hours out of a game you don't care for.. that's more than I've put into some games I like.

Do you play with a wheel ?
No, joypad. Logitech GT is now just a PC wheel for me I guess :'(

I sound harsher on the game here than I intended I think. I have fun playing it, I just wish it was better in just about every way, you know?

Well, if you are not interested in social aspects and just want single player then this is not for you.

I don't agree. If the AI and handling was better the single player would be more than enough to have made me completely happy. It would have definitely scratched that PGR itch for me then.

Oops, thought I was editing this in to above post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom