• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective

I was trying to create a club with the name me and my friends use when playing together (696) when I got this message. Seriously?
z3BLksq.jpg

Maybe they are to religious? :p

'' The Number 696 is profoundly integrated with the holographic structure of the Ten Commandments. It is the Foundation of the Torah - belief in and faithfulness to the Ancient of Days, the One God who gave us the First Commandment: ''

I don't agree. If the AI and handling was better the single player would be more than enough to have made me completely happy. It would have definitely scratched that PGR itch for me then.

Like i said before AI is not great but can be made better with updates and handling too but i don't see many complain about handling much and they all like handling in this game. Also time trail and Drift events does not need any AI to experience this game, so your point is not valid because time trail and drift is also important aspects.

I think I spent 15 hours on the tour and have 93 stars.

4 hours on Friday night and about the same last night is what I've played. Had a busy weekend so couldn't cram more in. Definitely nowhere near 15 hours for me!

I realised a long time ago people play games at very different paces though so it doesn't really mean much. You'd probably smoke me!

Nyx

4 hours on Friday night and about the same last night is what I've played. Had a busy weekend so couldn't cram more in. Definitely nowhere near 15 hours for me!

I realised a long time ago people play games at very different paces though so it doesn't really mean much. You'd probably smoke me!

I'm just low-tier when it comes to my gaming-skills, I like to blame my age. ;-)

Like i said before AI is not great but can be made better with updates and handling too but i don't see many complain about handling much and they all like handling in this game. Also time trail and Drift events does not need any AI to experience this game, so your point is not valid because time trail and drift is also important aspects.

Time trials are the best part of the game easily because it's just you, a cool car and a well designed track.

Drifting is a gimmick I'm not overly fond of. At least, not with this handling model. I did like it in PGR.

The fact that the AI ruin every race for me is unforgivable though. It's like years of AI advancement has been thrown out the window.

But yeah I think we need to agree to disagree on this!

JamboGT

I think I spent 15 hours on the tour and have 93 stars.

Took me about 8 hours to get all stars.

I disagree about the AI issues, I like that they are aggressive, not really seeing any problems with them holding their line, doing the same as I would do! Also I love the handling, I pretty much only need the Atom and Venom GT to keep me happy now :D

FeiRR

Banned
That poster challenged a point I was making about Driveclub. Touchy much? I was merely elaborating on why I find the graphics disappointing.

So you find graphics disappointing because there's another, unreleased game which may have better IQ on a different platform but you don't know it for sure, because you haven't played it. Congratulations on your opinion. That's all I wanted to say.

So you find graphics disappointing because there's another, unreleased game which may have better IQ on a different platform but you don't know it for sure, because you haven't played it. Congratulations on your opinion. That's all I wanted to say.

I've played pCARS for about 200 hours... :p

So congratulations on being snarky and uninformed?

JamboGT

I love Driveclub and probably disagree with it, but surely he can have his opinion?

Sure, rub it in some more. ;)

Hah, sorry, am not going to blame my age though :p

TheBear

has anyone played around with challenges? kinda missing them as I they were active for the first 30 mins I played and I haven't seen them since. Have they been disabled completely?

Moozo

Well, it's definitely connecting to the servers more often now, but on the other hand, it's also booting me off much more frequently.

FeiRR

Banned
I've played pCARS for about 200 hours... :p

So congratulations on being snarky and uninformed?
Ok, I'm sorry. I forgot PC games are sold in various stages of development now. I still don't agree with "this game shouldn't exist" part. Peace and all that.

murgo

Lol, I've read so much about that "punching above your weight" race. How exactly is it hard? I just got 3 stars in one race on my second try?!

anddo0

Are the servers completely down in the US?

It's not even trying to connect. It usually has a spinning icon when attempting to connect and now nothing.

Tip for people who have a hard time finding a second player just to activate their club: Set up another PSN account on your console or use one of your existing ones and have that one join your club. At least that's what I did. Once you found an actual player just have your dummy leave the club.

viveks86

Ahh okay.

So if you create a club does your progress immediately start counting toward your Club ranking even if others haven't accepted the invite to your club? Since I can connect I want to start playing, but only if my progress is going to count toward my overall club progress.

Not sure if this was answered. Progress will go to the club only after the club is active (more than 1 member). If you can't connect, it will still sync whenever you do.

anddo0

Tip for people who have a hard time finding a second player just to activate their club: Set up another PSN account on your console or use one of your existing ones and have that one join your club. At least that's what I did. Once you found an actual player just have your dummy leave the club.

Simple, yet ingenious.

I'll try this a little later.

Finally decided to watch this video, and I'm calling BS in terms of it debunking complaints about AI

It shows how AI behaves when the player is sitting still or doing donuts. Most people do t play DC like that.....

I waited and waited for the guy to present a scenario that actually represents the actual gameplay experience of the game, but there was none.

When I'm driving at 100 mph and I can feel that the AI is turning into my car, on a straight. This video means nothing. When that AI continues to steer into my car for long and hard enough that my car spins out, this video means nothing.

When the AI decides that it's going to dive bomb and take the racing line right through a corner if I take a wide entry instead of taking the inside line through the corner so we can both make it, this video means nothing.

Heres a video of some actual racing against the AI. I simply typed in "Driveclub race" in YouTube and picked the first vid.

http://youtu.be/9T6XdupzcnQ

Guy is obviously new and makes some mistakes but....

First thing that happens in the race? Player gets alongside AI, it instead of it acknowledging his existence, it decides that it will be taking the racing line, even if that line is through the players cockpit. Forcing him off road.

At the first corner, the player funny enough gets some snap oversteer on entry which luckily means he doesn't get plowed by the yellow AI sweeping across the front of his car.

On the exit of that same corner, Another AI car almost pit manoeuvres him off the track before it can even think about simply taking another line to avoid contact.

At 1:38 the player does well to avoid contact going into the fast right-left hander,as the AI slams the door shut as it has the right to, but when the player gets a run on exit, the AI car again decides that it wants to deviate onto the racing line, even while the players car is sitting on it. In racing, the driver in front is owed the racing line, but not if that line is occupied by another car.

Another point of note is at 3:16, where the AI I front pulls away and takes the racing line, and another AI also going faster and looking to get ahead, just powers through the front of the players car and on to the line instead of racing him side by side.

At 3:41 the AI makes contact with the back of his car sticking to the line instead of just a small adjustment.

At 3:54 the AI swings in wildly toward the apex of the corner despite being side by side going in. The player knows the AI has no idea he's there and takes to the grass which allows him to survive. On exiting that corner the AI against slams the door shut despite a good enough portion of the players car being side by side.

At 4:00, despite the player not allowing the AI to slam him into the wall at the exit of the last corner and now being in front for the next corner, the AI again sticks rigidly to its driving line, regardless of the fact that it means he's effectively trying to pit manoeuvre the players car as he tries to navigate the corner.

People complain about the AIs lack of awareness and it's willingness to stick to the line WHILE RACING and it took no effort to find video evidence of exactly that. There's close, hard racing, them there's just having almost no regard for the fact that the player is there.

It's okay to post up a video showing that the AI has good enough routing intelligence that it can drive around stuff it isn't racing against, like a parked car or a car doing donuts, but simply watching one race against the easier AI shows that when it comes to racing, they CAN AND DO drive as though they've no idea you're there and that they CAN AND DO attempt to drive through the players car in an attempt to stick to the line, even if avoiding that collision only takes a slight steering adjustment.

And this is before we get into cars where one nudge while you're on the edge of grip actually ruins your race.

That AI analysis video does not address the fact that while RACING, the AI drives at times like its trying to ruin your race, nor does it address the fact that it does do that, which is why people, including reviewers, took note of it.

hondulu

Neo Member
Time trials are the best part of the game easily because it's just you, a cool car and a well designed track.

Drifting is a gimmick I'm not overly fond of. At least, not with this handling model. I did like it in PGR.

The fact that the AI ruin every race for me is unforgivable though. It's like years of AI advancement has been thrown out the window.

But yeah I think we need to agree to disagree on this!

Agree about time trials, it´s the best part. That or when you´ve left the AI racers behind in a race.
I basically have all stars except the drifting ones, it´s simply not that fun to drift.

Also heard there are some good social and multiplayer features in the game but I wouldn´t know... such a disappointment that servers was down the whole weekend. I think I will ask them if they can reset my progress so I can redo the tour while in a club.

Agree about time trials, it´s the best part. That or when you´ve left the AI racers behind in a race.
I basically have all stars except the drifting ones, it´s simply not that fun to drift.

Also heard there are some good social and multiplayer features in the game but I wouldn´t know... such a disappointment that servers was down the whole weekend. I think I will ask them if they can reset my progress so I can redo the tour while in a club.

I agree about Time Trials - the tracks are so gorgeous, the driving is so fun ( albeit I don't know how to drift either ) and the sense of speed is so ridiculous that it is just a joy to drive around without any AI distractions.

I managed to finish a few Online races this morning, and while they are fun, the randoms tend to be assholes. They'll ram you and try to spin you every chance they get, while I like to drive as clean as possible.

mid83

What a shame. I'm enjoying the hell out of this game and it seems like the social features are pretty good. Too bad I haven't connected to the servers once.

Lol, I've read so much about that "punching above your weight" race. How exactly is it hard? I just got 3 stars in one race on my second try?!
The lap time can be quite challenging. I took a few attempts to get it. The main problem is that the track is quite technical, you need to took up a few corners just right or you will lose a lot of speed leading into following corners and will destroy your lap time.

There's one where you need to turn right before a kink because if you don't the track will pull you into the wall.

All this whilst trying to avoid the AI players, which as there are a series of slow, tight corners towards the end of the lap can be a little tough.

Better to let the AI charge off then get a clean lap in.

So what are you guys' preferred types of livery designs? From what I unlocked so far (not much) Graphic & Retro are the only ones I've found agreeable. All the others are either ugly or, ehm, chavvy, especially the Rebel ones. Flames on cars were cool when I was 10 years old.

hondulu

Neo Member
Lé Blade Runner;134122991 said:
I agree about Time Trials - the tracks are so gorgeous, the driving is so fun ( albeit I don't know how to drift either ) and the sense of speed is so ridiculous that it is just a joy to drive around without any AI distractions.

I managed to finish a few Online races this morning, and while they are fun, the randoms tend to be assholes. They'll ram you and try to spin you every chance they get, while I like to drive as clean as possible.

I´ll give online a try, if my clubmates are nice I might race with them. If I keep getting wrecked I´ll go straight back to iRacing where it´s clean but the racing is so much more demanding.

So what are you guys' preferred types of livery designs? From what I unlocked so far (not much) Graphic & Retro are the only ones I've found agreeable. All the others are either ugly or, ehm, chavvy, especially the Rebel ones. Flames on cars were cool when I was 10 years old.
No designs. One yellow, one matte black, one white, and one grey. Double zeros in bracket font, white on light, black on dark.

Though the angel wing stuff in the Rebel set at 40th level will probably find its way onto my rides.

I'd like to see them offer up all manufacturer colors as standard, and select-able before a race, along with new livery sets of basic stripes and designs you might actually find on a car.

GodofWine

It starts 10AM PST, and will last 6-7 hours.
It's mainly the store that will be down.

Cool thanks, thats good kews cause this is the only day of the year that i get off and my kids dont , THANKS COLUMBUS

I volunteered to clean the basement today, guess where my ps4 is :)

wickfut

Banned
Finally decided to watch this video, and I'm calling BS in terms of it debunking complaints about AI

Yeah, it's annoying as hell being flat out on a straight with plenty of room around you for other cars to overtake you, yet the AI chooses to plough straight through you.

I'm having a lot of fun with the AI. I find if you nudge them back when they're at your side they'll back off. And honestly, from the video you posted Grizzleboy I wouldn't expect a steward's enquiry into any of those. A few races ago I could see a racer in my rear view bombing it behind me, I moved across into his path then he tried to pass on the other side and wiped himself out.

snookee

Neo Member
+ Fun track design.
+ Cool challenge system.
+ Great sense of speed.
+ Simple but streamlined and well paced single player career.
+ Good sound design.

+/- Middling handling system - fun to be able to nail any track first time but not rewarding or challenging.
+/- Can look really great but also not very "next-gen" - just very inconsistent and to be honest not what I would expect from a game that had an extra year of "polish".

- Awful AI - they stick to the racing line and don't know how to overtake.
- Unfair penalty system (-200 for AI ramming me, thanks!)
- Broken online implementation.
- Dusk lighting makes racing a squint-a-thon. Why no option for headlights?
- Very limited options.

I can't really disagree with any of this, I'm enjoying the single player career so far though. I hope the online racing when fully up and running won't get spoilt by rammers/blockers etc?

I'd like to see them offer up all manufacturer colors as standard, and select-able before a race, along with new livery sets of basic stripes and designs you might actually find on a car.

Don't some of the Retro ones fall into that category?

Though the angel wing stuff in the Rebel set at 40th level will probably find its way onto my rides.

Just looked up the one unlocked at level 40 and yeah, that one's pretty neat indeed.

CozMick

Banned
Do the driver statistics actually load for anyone else?

Seems strange to have my single player stats server side :/

Gonna assume they will be completely wrong once the servers come back online
properly

Not sure if this was answered. Progress will go to the club only after the club is active (more than 1 member). If you can't connect, it will still sync whenever you do.

I have an active club at level 5 and I'm not connected right now. If I do some tour events offline, the fame I earn will go to the club when I reconnect? Is this confirmed?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

I made a bunch of Spiderman cars, lol.

I saw the Soecial Edition, not the steelbook, box today and noticed that one of the cars on it is the McLaren 650S, which isn't in the game. I'm assuming that's a DLC car. Still, it's kind of misleading.

FtHTiny

Came home from work.
Started it up because surely they did something.
Get disapointed, turned it off again.

It´s getting frustrating.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how is the season pass likely to work? This game demands new courses to drive on, but you get the tracks for free. Sounds like the 'tours' are paid for DLC.

So does that mean you can probably only time trial/single race the free tracks unless you have the paid DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom