• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Number45

So if you have free choice, what cars do you choose to use for each class ?

Mine are :-

Hatchback - Mini
Sports - DeZir
Performance - RUF / FF
Super - Atom / McLaren 12C
Hyper - Zonda / Lykan

Honourable mentions to RS5, Mono & Venom too

The DeZir, Atom and Lykan I'd pick are prolly a bit unusual, anyone else choose something out of the ordinary?
I haven't done enough in any other class yet to realistically have a go to car, but in the hatch section it's the Golf. It feels like cheating, after working hard in the other cars.

Melchiah

Yeah I'm seeing max'd out players here, all level 50s like I am.

They also contain player names I've seen before, so I'm wondering if it picks out some similar leaderboard times to you and suggests those people, as they'll be best suited to match or beat your time.

Probably not, as I've personally received several challenges requiring the Gumpert Apollo (unlocked at driver level 40), although I'm only level 38. Found that frustrating, by the way.

I'm on level 35, and I'll see is players of the same level when I'm sending a challenge. I have no idea what level those people were, who have sent me challenges though. So far I haven't received one with a locked out car.

Probably not, as I've personally received several challenges requiring the Gumpert Apollo (unlocked at driver level 40), although I'm only level 38. Found that frustrating, by the way.

Same.

I had 6 challenges received and could only attempt 1 of them, the rest were for cars I haven't unlocked (I'm only level 17)

le-seb

I had 6 challenges received and could only attempt 1 of them, the rest were for cars I haven't unlocked (I'm only level 17)
Ugh. I'm only missing two more cars, but I can imagine how hard it must be sucking to have the upper half of the car roster locked down with all the challenges featuring the bigger and faster cars 9 out of 10 times.

I'll try to send you some doable challenges later.

I want to challenge Rushy :(

Edit:

Finally, now 2 more trophies to 100% until tuesday... #Believe.

B4JRp3NIcAAZ4Q1.jpg:large

Nyx

Hatchback - Mini
Sports - DeZir
Performance - RUF / FF
Hyper - Zonda / Lykan

The DeZir, Atom and Lykan I'd pick are prolly a bit unusual, anyone else choose something out of the ordinary?

Hatchback : GTI
Sports: RS5
Performance : Ferrari California/Mercedes C63
Super: McLaren 12C/Ferrari 458 Italia
Hyper : McLaren P1/Pagani Huayra

I like the C63 the best I think, dat engine sound

Sp33Demon

I came to DC thinking this was going to be my GOTY (I am a huge sucker for drivng/racing games). I had a lot of fun in tour mode but all the online/leaderboard issues soured me. With the game 99% working, I am back and the DLC cars are stupid ridiculous fun. Evolution knows what they are doing with the cars, tracks and driving. I had never heard of the TwinRun and when I saw it I was expecting a Mini. That little thing is so beast and I absolutely love the way they give it this amazing sense of speed and go kart handling but throw that little wrinkle where if you get sloppy it bites you. I so wish they had not had all the issues as I think this game could have been on a lot of lists for best racer ever. I guess they still have a chance to capture people with the PS+ version.

Melchiah

Hatchback - Mini
Sports - DeZir
Performance - RUF / FF
Hyper - Zonda / Lykan

Hatchback - Golf GTI / Beetle (the latter because I have the older New Beetle model IRL)
Sports - DeZir
Performance - Lotus Exige (not the most familiar class to me, but I recall liking this one)
Super - Caterham / BAC Mono (love the way they control)
Hyper - Pagani Zonda / McLaren P1

Merun

Hatchback - Golf GTI / Beetle (the latter because I have the older New Beetle model IRL)
Sports - DeZir
Performance - Lotus Exige (not the most familiar class to me, but I recall liking this one)

Pretty much the same for me except in sport and performance.

Sports: Lotus Evora
Performance: RUF RGT 8 ( may need to try some other car )

Catheram and BAC Mono are stuck to the track in corner it's so much fun.

Tip: For those who are trying to get the Unbeatable Trophy, make sure to check that the score of the person you're challenging updates on the leaderboard, otherwise it won't count. If you're doing it with a friend, tell him to check the leaderboard for his score right after he finished his run, it's a way to force it to update the score.

You need to beat 5 of those challenges you sent him to get the trophy, i take notice of this after sending like 10 to the same person.

GodofWine

Wasn't an Indian race circuit one was it? I had that.

I forget, but another one crashed me out today, but then it ran fine.

I swear I am the second fastest man in the world (not seriously) , I keep getting into second place and cannot beat the owner of the challenge, ever.

JP

Still trying to get into a club somewhere as I decided to leave the game until things like challenged were live, because of that the people I know that have it are already in clubs. Does anybody have a space left in their club on here? I'm in the UK but it can be based anywhere really.

I've started the career again but I'm level 22 from when I started playing at launch.

Merun

Still trying to get into a club somewhere as I decided to leave the game until things like challenged were live, because of that the people I know that have it are already in clubs. Does anybody have a space left in their club on here? I'm in the UK but it can be based anywhere really.

I've started the career again but I'm level 22 from when I started playing at launch.

My club has 3 places left ( 3 randoms who are no longer playing ), so I can always make some. Club is "Eurobeat" ( pure coincidence but the active members are European ).

Really wish the companion app was re-released so that I could manage the club without booting the console. Oh well, remote play.

system11

Just been playing through Ignition. Something is troubling me, it seems someone at Evolution still thinks drift events are fun, as if the cars drift nicely or something. Strange.

23qwerty

Just been playing through Ignition. Something is troubling me, it seems someone at Evolution still thinks drift events are fun, as if the cars drift nicely or something. Strange.

Can't tell if this is a joke or not but damn does drifting in Driveclub ever feel good.

GodofWine

Agreed, drifting is NOT what this game is about. My opinion of drifting in video games is pretty low in general.

I've ignored a lot of drift challenges, so it does seem that there are people who do like it

JP

My club has 3 places left ( 3 randoms who are no longer playing ), so I can always make some. Club is "Eurobeat" ( pure coincidence but the active members are European ).

Really wish the companion app was re-released so that I could manage the club without booting the console. Oh well, remote play.
Thanks, I've requested to join and sent a friend request too. As I've not been in one before I'm not really sure how it all works but I don;t think I have to do anything else do I?

Has anybody heard anything else about the weather patch? Is it still supposed to be this year? Really can't wait for it as for me realistic weather is such an important thing in driving games. Sorry, should add that I've seen the possible hint about weather but has there been any confirmation of dates?

system11

Agreed, drifting is NOT what this game is about. My opinion of drifting in video games is pretty low in general.

I've ignored a lot of drift challenges, so it does seem that there are people who do like it

I don't mind if it gels with the natural driving of cars at speed, but the DC model is such that nearly any time a drift happens, it's slower than driving normally. Needs to be fun and fluid instead of a clunky knife edge.

Hugstable

Banned
*Starts Driveclub, notices Challenges up and running perfect, no disconnection issues, everything syncing up smooth as butter*

I almost shed a tear right now, Driveclub has come so far so launch, and the game with challenges is just even that much better. So happy this game is finally living up to it's potential, sad that it had such a harsh launch because Driveclub deserves better.

Drifting is horrid.

I actually enjoy the drifting events every once in a while haha. Drifting isn't usually my type of thing, but it's fun to break up the thrills of the real races sometimes.

I think it's horrible, I'd love a skip button for them. Midnight Club did it better.
Not sure what you mean. You can just not do those events.

That's been my plan anyway ;p

If they ever tweak drift events so that you can just keep on lapping and retrying without having to exit and restart - just like time trials - I'd probably give those events more attention. Just reset the score with each lap.

*Starts Driveclub, notices Challenges up and running perfect, no disconnection issues, everything syncing up smooth as butter*

I almost shed a tear right now, Driveclub has come so far so launch, and the game with challenges is just even that much better. So happy this game is finally living up to it's potential, sad that it had such a harsh launch because Driveclub deserves better.

I actually enjoy the drifting events every once in a while haha. Drifting isn't usually my type of thing, but it's fun to break up the thrills of the real races sometimes.
yeah actually i like using them to get used to a new car with all the HUD turned off to just sort of mess around, get used to the weight of the car, etc. and like you said.. it's variety.

And I'm having a lot of fun with Challenges so far, especially the quick ones like the 1 minute time trial laps.

Bluenova

Neo Member
Sports - DeZir
Nice list, and same to those who posted earlier, interesting to see and compare our preferences.

Its pretty hard for me to narrow down to 1 tho so this is mine approximately:
Hatchback - A1/ Golf
Sports - BMW 1 is drift machine haha and Lotus Evora S
Performance - Ruf RGT 8 x MB C 63 black ed. x BMW M5 '13 / Audi RS 6
Super - Caterham / BAC Mono (love the way they control too) x R8 x Ruf RT12 R
Hyper - Pagani Zonda x McLaren P1 x Venom[sometimes- nice drifts]
Performance and super classes are embarrassment of riches tho, very awesome roster.

I think I prefer time trials to challenges because ghosts are not shown? Game is slowly teaching me how to drift better and go faster. But haha finally getting the Gumpert- it will lift its front wheels soo badly on Skjolden on top of the bridge, I almost panicked from cockpit view hahaaha shit

One other thing I've read is this cool thread on the locations, players can confirm these roads are the spittin image http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2j9xlb/norwegian_about_the_norwegian_driveclub_tracks/

Hatchback - Mini
Sports - DeZir
Performance - RUF / FF
Hyper - Zonda / Lykan

Hot Hatch: Golf GTI / Mini
Sports: RS5 / Evora S Sports
Performance: FF / Exige S / RGT-8
Super: Mono / Sp/300.r
Hyper: P1 / HyperSport

Merun

Thanks, I've requested to join and sent a friend request too. As I've not been in one before I'm not really sure how it all works but I don;t think I have to do anything else do I?

Has anybody heard anything else about the weather patch? Is it still supposed to be this year? Really can't wait for it as for me realistic weather is such an important thing in driving games. Sorry, should add that I've seen the possible hint about weather but has there been any confirmation of dates?

Welcome to the club! Have fun with your new Golf GTI, Pagani Zonda R and BAC Mono. Aside from that, do whatever you want; you will also get fame for the club.

Can't tell if this is a joke or not but damn does drifting in Driveclub ever feel good.

It's not a joke. The drifting model allow you to pull some incredible stuff and it's just exhilarating.

http://youtu.be/AQJA-tms0fQ

My favourite are the Marussia and All Britain Drift as they feature some cool curves and the appropriate car to actually drift all the way.

My only complain is on the scoring for drift which sadly is borked with people hitting walls, going back on the track and drift more :/

My only complain is on the scoring for drift which sadly is borked with people hitting walls, going back on the track and drift more :/

My biggest gripe with the current drifting scoring is you get rewarded for spinning out - if you watch the top scoring ghost times on most tracks they do a complete 180 in most zones. The speed sections are sposed to counteract this (lose all speed spinning, lose points between zones) but they can reverse back a bit to get speed up and be better off. GT5 used to penalise you for spinning or exceeding track limits and could be frustrating as a result but I think it was a better way of judging the skill of drifting.

Merun

My biggest gripe with the current drifting scoring is you get rewarded for spinning out - if you watch the top scoring ghost times on most tracks they do a complete 180 in most zones. The speed sections are sposed to counteract this (lose all speed spinning, lose points between zones) but they can reverse back a bit to get speed up and be better off. GT5 used to penalise you for spinning or exceeding track limits and could be frustrating as a result but I think it was a better way of judging the skill of drifting.

You are better at explaining this than me. ^^

That's also the reason why the All Britain Drift event is one of the best. You can't do any of this. At least all the top ghost I have seen never did it. If you try to do it, then you can't get enough speed to do the optimal drift on the second section.

Tommi84

My biggest gripe with the current drifting scoring is you get rewarded for spinning out
Yup. There should be penatly for actually stopping and everytime there's 'wrong way' warning, person should be loosing points for that drift.
You spin out? Zero pts
You went back? Zero pts

If you can read this, Rushy, please do something about it.

That's what the Speed Zone is for.

You can spin out (I assume you mean end the drift before the end of the zone by going too steep in the drift) or exit the track and you'll no longer be scoring Drift points and cruically you'll be either at a standstill or going slowly off track meaning that in the Speed Zone that follows you'll get poor points for that section.

Also, you are not rewarded for spinning out at all. You don't get bonus points for it. Whilst you can pass the event by drifting steeply and finishing the drift before the end of the zone, but you won't get a good score in the leaderboards. You have to drift correctly for that.

The only cheating you can do is if you are patient enough, roll back in small steps to prevent a track reset and either do a 2nd drift or gain speed for the Speed Zone. But that takes ages.

That's what the Speed Zone is for.

You can spin out (I assume you mean end the drift before the end of the zone by going too steep in the drift) or exit the track and you'll no longer be scoring Drift points and cruically you'll be either at a standstill or going slowly off track meaning that in the Speed Zone that follows you'll get poor points for that section.

Also, you are not rewarded for spinning out at all. You don't get bonus points for it. Whilst you can pass the event by drifting steeply and finishing the drift before the end of the zone, but you won't get a good score in the leaderboards. You have to drift correctly for that.

The only cheating you can do is if you are patient enough, roll back in small steps to prevent a track reset and either do a 2nd drift or gain speed for the Speed Zone. But that takes ages.

Yeah I agree with you that that's how it's supposed to work but in reality I don't think that's the case - you can earn far more by spinning completely or throwing it sideways into the barrier than you lose in the speed zone unless as Merun says there is insufficient distance to the next corner to get your speed up - the DeZir drift challenge on photo finish was tough because you had to drift properly to maintain speed through the entire run (though I did see some runs where you ignore turns 2 & 4 and go for spins on 1,3 & 5)

I think as suggested clearing the score or invalidating it if you stop, reverse or leave the track would be better but how would you do it now without clearing the existing leaderboards.

lordxar

You can cheese drifting with the first two maybe three sets of cars but once you get into super and hyper range it gets really tough to cheese just because the handling drops off so much. You need better car control on the faster cars which hyper cars are still a pita for me.

I wish people would stop sending me drift challenges - I can't drift well, please stop!

Would be nice to have a filtering option I think when browsing at least community challenges.

Are they still working on the servers? I still have trouble getting into a multiplayer game.
1 / 10 chance I'll not get disconnected in the lobby.

Releasing tomorrow or more details tomorrow?

Here's a quick #PS4share glimpse of what's new, ahead of us sharing the full details of this game update with you tomorrow.

Sounds like info.

Tweet sounds like release tease.

Are they still working on the servers? I still have trouble getting into a multiplayer game.
1 / 10 chance I'll not get disconnected in the lobby.

They do seem to be struggling a bit more with the additional challenge load, though work a lot more often than that for me - have you tried picking servers with a longer countdown?

Top Bottom