• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

There's plenty of newbies to go around baby.

And ffffuu, I got so many challenges I don't know where to start. They all make me feel bad lol.

Please, I am a newbie too. I think we are pretty close on some of the Rookie/Amateur times, so it's more empty threats than anything. :) I will send you one tomorrow for just our clubs, though. Let's get a friendly rivalry going!

Any specific settings?

I found the ones given in the tours to be really good... but other posters have mentioned that Chile in the rain is phenomenal.

This was posted by flipswitch in the weather thread. I don't know what track but it's probably a good place to start.

OHkvN9S.gif

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Decided to give this a go after things finally seeming to get sorted out in regards to patches etc. Really glad I did as I'm really enjoying it, the handling is perfect for me and the courses have been great from what I've played (about 2 hours or so).

I tell you something I appreciate the most though - it's very 'minimalistic' in a way and I love it that it does that. What I mean is no voiceovers, no bullshit - just courses, cars and the noises of your engine/score. No annoying cunt going 'HEY, WELCOME AND ENJOY THE GAME! DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU GO TO OPTIONS MENU TO TWEAK YOUR HANDLING ????' Ugh. Also no music festival presentation either, that's a big bonus. I guess some would call it boring but to me it's leaving out 'fluff' I don't want or need.

Tubie

Decided to give this a go after things finally seeming to get sorted out in regards to patches etc. Really glad I did as I'm really enjoying it, the handling is perfect for me and the courses have been great from what I've played (about 2 hours or so).

I tell you something I appreciate the most though - it's very 'minimalistic' in a way and I love it that it does that. What I mean is no voiceovers, no bullshit - just courses, cars and the noises of your engine/score. No annoying cunt going 'HEY, WELCOME AND ENJOY THE GAME! DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU GO TO OPTIONS MENU TO TWEAK YOUR HANDLING ????' Ugh. Also no music festival presentation either, that's a big bonus. I guess some would call it boring but to me it's leaving out 'fluff' I don't want or need.

I just got the game tonight, and and I agree a lot with this. The game is just pure racing awesomeness. What impressed me the most were the graphics tho. The game is just stunning, even to a point where it can get distracting lol.

stryke

How restricted is this game offline? I thought I briefly read somewhere earlier that some cars cannot be unlocked unless you're in a club?

Stoze

Would anyone like an extra member for their club? PSN ID is in my profile. Gonna be playing this a lot tonight and tommorow, currently level 20.

Ranger X

How restricted is this game offline? I thought I briefly read somewhere earlier that some cars cannot be unlocked unless you're in a club?

The game never feels limited and it actually rewards you with cars and livery all the time for pretty much all you can do, including racing in a club.

MattyG

Banned
So, I know I'm getting this for christmas, and I know that it's got a lot of "social" features, but I don't have anyone on my friends list who owns the game. If anyone wants to shoot me a friend invite, I'd love it! Just put "Gaf" or something similar in the message so I know who it is. My PSN is "ortiz344".

viveks86

So, I know I'm getting this for christmas, and I know that it's got a lot of "social" features, but I don't have anyone on my friends list who owns the game. If anyone wants to shoot me a friend invite, I'd love it! Just put "Gaf" or something similar in the message so I know who it is. My PSN is "ortiz344".

Here's a better idea. Add DRIVECLUB-GAF to your friends list and add any/all of its friends :)

benzy

I can't race for shit in chase cam. I use cockpit view for SP (for immersion) and hood cam for multi.

Same here. What sucks about using hood cam in multi though is you can't see if someone is trying to nudge you from the side until you start to feel your car slipping and slowing.

Just go this- so good!

Hey I'm new to PS4 in general and went to see if there was a season pass or something that was a "Buy once and get all the new tracks or whatever" purchase, but there are so many different things :( is there a guide to what I should or shouldn't buy?

Is there a gaf crew/club/whatever we join as well?

leng jai

Same here. What sucks about using hood cam in multi though is you can't see if someone is trying to nudge you from the side until you start to feel your car slipping and slowing.

You also can't see anything when it rains since there are no wipers in that view.

darkwing

Just go this- so good!

Hey I'm new to PS4 in general and went to see if there was a season pass or something that was a "Buy once and get all the new tracks or whatever" purchase, but there are so many different things :( is there a guide to what I should or shouldn't buy?

Yup there is a season pass for the game, you will get everything basically

Just go this- so good!

Yes, there is a Driveclub season pass. Tracks are free as far as I know. Cars and tours are part of the pass. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for GAF club, there are a ton of clubs made by GAF members, since each club is limited to 6 people. See Vivek's post above you about adding GAF users and maybe joining one of their clubs. :)

Yep I agree totally, however some reviews said it lacked 'soul' because of this.

This is a Canada track iirc, but i can't remember the name of it.

Yep it's Lytton in Canada

There's 5 cars unlocked by your club level but I think they were going to patch this so you could still use them offline if your club has sufficient rank. They are the Golf, Bentley, M3?, Mono and Zonda R. You need to be in a club just to experience the awesomeness of the Mono!

How does switching clubs work with respect to progress/XP earned?

Any fame you earned with a club stays with that club (basically neither you nor the club loses any points if you decide to leave) - any fame you earn with the new club gets added to its tally. Simples :)

Electric cars blow, can't imagine there is that much transmission lock on deceleration in real life.....

I've not tried the new merc yet but the DeZir can snap a bit when braking, is that what you mean? On RC cars with brushless motors you can program the amount of automatic braking you want when you let off the throttle (simulating engine braking) so I should imagine that'd be a setting in the real life cars.

Has anyone else got anything they'd like adding to the current challenge system?

Couple of things I'd like to see are the ability to specify a class instead of just a particular car, it might mean that everyone chooses the same one anyway to compete (Performance/ RUF) but other classes are very close and the ghost lines would be very different for an Atom against a Mono for example.

The other thing that has just occurred to me would be the option to limit the number of laps / runs / retries you can do - Top Gear give the stars 10 laps to get their fastest time for example. I think this gives everyone an equal crack at nailing the lap without coming down to whose got the most perseverance.

wilba

Neo Member
Hi all been lurking a long time on gaf but finally made an account.
Looking for a club as not many of my friends have made the jump to new gen yet.
PSN: WLB-93

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
I have an open slot in my club (level 28) if anyone would like to unlock the cars and then leave :p

PSN - CozMick

I don't think that's how it works. If you join a club that has specific cars unlocked, then you're automatically granted access to those cars because of the club you are in. Now, if you leave that club and let's say go solo or to another club that hasn't unlocked those cars, you will not have them...even offline.

The new patch made it so while belonging to a club that has those cars unlocked, you are not restricted to only having access to the cars ONLINE. Now you're able to still play with those cars offline. That was added in the recent patch

Merun

405/405 stars. Hyped for next DLC already. It's the first season pass that I buy outside of a game ( that is, not bundled in a LE ) and it's awesome.

edit: no wonder people find the Alpine hard, it has no TCS nor ABS, coupled with RWD. But man the sensations... I want a wheel.

Falifax

So after salivating over screens in the Photomode thread I decided to buy it and so far I'm loving it.

Also I requested to join CheeseGAF since I saw a fellow buddy in there.

Enzo_Ferrari

Neo Member
I'm having so much trouble with the M5 GP drift face-off in the elements DLC. It's definitely the hardest thing in the game.

Any tips would be welcome.

system11

I'm having so much trouble with the M5 GP drift face-off in the elements DLC. It's definitely the hardest thing in the game.

Do that bit in the rainy laps - use lap 1 to get near or past the front of the pack, use lap 5 to set the lap record part just as things start to dry out and without traffic in your way.

I'm struggling with the Venom Hot Lap 2. I really hate driving in the dark because it's impossible to see most of the road. Couple that with an awful car and lots of rain and this isn't an enjoyable event at all.

danowat

Banned
I've not tried the new merc yet but the DeZir can snap a bit when braking, is that what you mean? On RC cars with brushless motors you can program the amount of automatic braking you want when you let off the throttle (simulating engine braking) so I should imagine that'd be a setting in the real life cars.

Yes, the merc is much worse though, I can't imagine it's anywhere near as bad IRL, could do with some work.

Just do your race and complete the other stars. Then just do the race again and let the pack drive away. The drift challenge is a breeze without other cars surrounding you.

Would anyone like an extra member for their club? PSN ID is in my profile. Gonna be playing this a lot tonight and tommorow, currently level 20.

I think I sent you an invite yesterday, but I'll check again.

405/405 stars.

70/405 lol

Getting back to Big Al's comment about no announcer... I freaking love it. And I love no open-world. Though, the only think I think is missing is some kind of track map that I can peruse outside of races.

Enzo_Ferrari

Neo Member
I finally beat it after spending nearly an hour on it.

Just do your race and complete the other stars. Then just do the race again and let the pack drive away. The drift challenge is a breeze without other cars surrounding you.

Yep, that's exactly what I did.

Do that bit in the rainy laps - use lap 1 to get near or past the front of the pack, use lap 5 to set the lap record part just as things start to dry out and without traffic in your way.

I did it on lap 3 when the track was at it's wettest which helped a lot.

Stoze

Was probably my favorite thing about the game when jumping in. A simple screen that shows you the controls, and then bam you're in a race. Loading is fairly quick too imo.

The game is definitely a breath of fresh air after playing NFS Rivals which had incredibly intrusive presentation. It also confirmed that I would much rather play tightly designed levels/circuits than an "open world" in my racing games.

Shaneus

This this this, so much fucking THIS.

It's the above that lead people to say shit like DC has no "soul" or "personality". Fuck off... if you have to rely on a voiceover to add "soul" to your game, you're fucking doing it wrong.

Mr Git

Hadn't been on for a couple of days and came back to find our club had filled. Holy fuck does progress move fast when loads of people are doing stuff. Switched on the game to a million new unlocks which was lovely. I like how the unlocks aren't extremely intrusive or obnoxious. Last few racing games I spent a lot of time playing were GT5 and NFS Hot Pursuit. The latter of which was awful to the point where I dreaded unlocking new things.
Also I still need to learn to drift properly.

Merun

Atom is quite an acquired taste but after driving the Alpine, I think I'm getting it too :)

So i've just unlocked the McLaren P1. Anyone got a basic rundown of DRS & kers and when best to apply them?

Basically, use DRS on the straight. Disable it for everything else. Braking disable it. KERS when exiting corner when you have grip.

Paging Merun! lol

lol, here are my drifting notes from last time: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143989864&postcount=670

Tubie

I'm looking for a club, if anyone here has an open spot please let me know.

My PSN is: tubiedos btw.

Anyone else is free to add that as well, I'll be playing a lot of driveclub these next few weeks.

lordxar

Has anyone else got anything they'd like adding to the current challenge system?

Couple of things I'd like to see are the ability to specify a class instead of just a particular car, it might mean that everyone chooses the same one anyway to compete (Performance/ RUF) but other classes are very close and the ghost lines would be very different for an Atom against a Mono for example.

The other thing that has just occurred to me would be the option to limit the number of laps / runs / retries you can do - Top Gear give the stars 10 laps to get their fastest time for example. I think this gives everyone an equal crack at nailing the lap without coming down to whose got the most perseverance.

Thought the same thing about class vs car. Good call on a limiter option too. My other thought was to be able to tie challenges together like the tour has for the trophy races. Maybe even a race and a drift instead of just races.

Top Bottom