• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Shaneus

Difficulty is still perfect with this game. Watch any (real) race and if a car screws up even a bit, they'll drop 3-4 places at least if it's a tight enough race.

Hey guys, kinda new to this game and I'm wondering if any of the tours or main "campaign" races actually feature the new weather system, or do I just have to keep doing single races?

kyser73

OK, this is something I've been meaning to do since I first started reading criticism of the AI in DC.

This is a highlights reel of the BTCC (British Touring Car Championship) round at Silverstone. You will note the following:

1. A conga-line of cars.

2. Spin outs.

3. Drivers not doing the rational thing when it comes to holding their line no matter what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km9B_zemqEk

Hey guys, kinda new to this game and I'm wondering if any of the tours or main "campaign" races actually feature the new weather system, or do I just have to keep doing single races?

The DLC tour 'Elements' is weather based, and I think there are a couple in either Photo Finish or Redline. None of the baseline tour events or the Ignition tour have weather.

SerTapTap

Wow, Evolution can't be happy with how little people are using Challenges...according to trophies less than 5% of people have even bothered to send a challenge...and it's the easiest thing in the world to do. Wonder how they can encourage that.

Yes. Ignition, too. And some livery packs and cars.

Oh, huh just expected IGnition free, that's cool. Though I'm not good enough to do well in many of these, going to stick to the main campaign for now

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wow, Evolution can't be happy with how little people are using Challenges...according to trophies less than 5% of people have even bothered to send a challenge...and it's the easiest thing in the world to do. Wonder how they can encourage that.

To be honest, the challenge menu being locked out for a month couldn't have helped.

However, after playing around with it, I do think there needs to be a series of official challenges, or some kind of rotating challenge tournament, that is generated by the system rather than a user. (aka what the EvolutionStudio PSN account is doing as a workaround).

Something like a scrolling challenge ticker at the bottom of the main menu in the empty strip of space maybe. Advertising fame rewards for competing in a daily official challenge, perhaps. At the end of a daily challenge, encourage people to click the button and send a copy of their run to someone else.

SerTapTap

Oh, didn't know it was broken at launch. I got in on the $35 Amazon deal (weather patch day). Still, it takes like 30 seconds to do after finishing a race. I've seen people do far stupider stuff for trophies. Seems like okay but not super amazing Fame earned if you win. plus you keep whatever you earned by just completing the event the challenge requires. I'll admit I only tried it today being a bit brave, other than face offs which are totally passive I haven't done much multiplayer anything at all since I'm not good, but I just sent and completed my first challenges today, now I wish more people on my friends list played.

Bluenova

Neo Member
Driveclub has more soul than most racers I've played because, like Evolution's Motorstorm series, the opponent AI didn't all secretly sign some truce to make sure that no matter whichever one of them wins the player loses. The opponent AI well often get very aggressive with each other. And the AI aren't perfect, it's possible for them to mess up big time. It's so awesome when you're driving full speed down a straight when all of a sudden the AI get too aggressive with each other and start spinning out and suddenly you have to navigate through a crash scene you played no part in creating. That right there is what gives Driveclub a soul that feels alive, and what I don't see enough of in other racers. Though maybe I just don't play enough racing games.

QFT man! and the Motorstorm comments too. Evolution has made really good Ai opponents- yeah they could be a bit more spatially aware and defensive sometimes, but other wise awesome. Them posts saying to adjust them can really gtfo ;p cause they dunno what they are talking about, basically or atleast name the other AIs they like racing against. Motorstorm was fun as hell for me because of the AI even with the boosting- and I completed them twice, it was not impossible. As for 'Soul', i questioned if the reviewers really love cars and racing them sometimes. The devil in the detail shows, and to bring these awesome cars to players who will not own them while the racing is so visceral is the passion. The track design/environments and lighting [and weather] have more atmosphere in them than whole fricking games... AI drivers that are quick, imperfect and behave better still than the real people online make each race different and satisfying. Both soul and passion are in this game.

Driveclub should make anyone who loves cars and speed hooked. I like tuning in the GT series, especially suspension in GT6, but the focus on the fun of beating your times, scores and other cars is unparalleled. The tracks basically have no equal, except I really love other motorstorm tracks, and real circuits too. IMHO they got PD beat with original track designing from last gen.

An anecdotal aside, today at best buy, I saw a couple playing Forza Horizon- and also they were somewhat stuck. Ps4 kiosk had DC demo so I started it and walked away, curious how they would react to it lol [I wanted to drive in Forza]. They went over to it in a few minutes, and played the race in chile with an F12. then the woman drove in Norway but I cant say in what car. They spent more than 10 minutes playing at least.

So meanwhile I gave Horizon a go there with the F430. I think the controller was damaged, so I switched to automatic transmission. First impressions are pretty good, I could see the benefit of the 60fps smoothness, frames seems super solid. The map and draw distance are really nice, the grass in the fields is very good looking too. Menu design is great too. Off roading is really fun. I also like the other super cars cruising the map and you can race them, reminds me of the best parts of burnout paradise hunting down the special cars racing around.

But anyway after that, graphically to me its a good mixed bag an 8/10. I really thought based on video and screens and reading the FH2 OT it was like a 9/10- and DC would be a 10/10. Part of it is simply the trees, there's so many but they look stylized and a bit like cartoon appearing kinda flat. Same with bushes that have dirt around them. Some buildings look that way too. So as art direction goes, its appealing while not going for realism. Motion blur was pretty different too and imho could be improved. Maybe because of that the sense of speed was not same and not my preference. The wheel spinning animation switches and pops [in?] at a higher speeds, like lod change- I notice cuz like to drive rotating cameras lol. Car models are fine but I do see less detail than the F430 in-game in Driveclub, and same goes for the reflections on the body. SO in summary, its not really close as I thought, and I think some are really overstating their comparisons. Handling I can't judge, I took off the aids and then i could not steer and adapt trying to catch a Lambo so I let someone else play. When I left, that couple was playing Driveclub still, hence more than 10 minutes. Still like to try out a rally and a car that suits my driving style.

Reminds me a lot of Burnout Paradise and Dirt. Maybe that just reads like bunch of nitpicks but, yea its what stood out

TLDR : Live in your world- DRIVE in ours

Anyways, them AMGs tho,

driveclub_20141213105t7iz2.jpg

kyser73

I can't remember which thread it was - possibly the one about arcade racers, possibly another - but someone says something like:

'go into Driveclub threads and there's no talk of fun, just discussion about shaving seconds off laptimes and how good the graphics are' - this post made in reference to FH2.

Because obviously when you buy a racing game, there's NO FUN AT ALL in getting your time down. I guess its all about driving hypercars through cornfields, right?

leng jai

I can't remember which thread it was - possibly the one about arcade racers, possibly another - but someone says something like:

'go into Driveclub threads and there's no talk of fun, just discussion about shaving seconds off laptimes and how good the graphics are' - this post made in reference to FH2.

Because obviously when you buy a racing game, there's NO FUN AT ALL in getting your time down. I guess its all about driving hypercars through cornfields, right?

That was in the arcade racer thread I made. That particular post was baffling. Apparently a racing game shouldn't be about time trials unless it has simulator handling.

SerTapTap

That was in the arcade racer thread I made. That particular post was baffling. Apparently a racing game shouldn't be about time trials unless it has simulator handling.

Reminds me of the complaints that it was a "corridor racer". I have no idea what people expect from a racing game anymore, it's apparently not racing or driving cars fast.

OK, this is something I've been meaning to do since I first started reading criticism of the AI in DC.

This is a highlights reel of the BTCC (British Touring Car Championship) round at Silverstone. You will note the following:

1. A conga-line of cars.

2. Spin outs.

3. Drivers not doing the rational thing when it comes to holding their line no matter what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km9B_zemqEk

The DLC tour 'Elements' is weather based, and I think there are a couple in either Photo Finish or Redline. None of the baseline tour events or the Ignition tour have weather.

Thanks man.

Oh god, I have so much to learn. Teach me, Master!

Lol erm ok...

In general I like the lap I posted, it was smooth with no major mistakes but I lost time missing the apex at the end of the straight and on the last bend, and also with the big slide on the sweeping bend at the bottom of the hill. Someone beat that lap and I went nearly a second quicker than the video by getting those bits right and being a bit more aggressive on the corners at the end.

With regards to the atom, it accelerates & brakes and turns in very well, its disadvantages are it under steers at high speed and it's tricky to get the power down on slow speed corners. I tap the accelerator a lot and try to feel the grip - I think being in bumper view helps in this respect, it just seems to react quicker so you can see the slide coming. I also tap the brake a lot, sometimes with the accelerator pressed too! This was instinctive and I didn't realise I was doing it until someone said it can help keep certain cars under control. It does seem to help control the high speed understeer without unsettling the car.

It's like Merun said though, it's quite hard to say what you actually do as it's completely natural at this stage and I'm not thinking what my hands are doing on the controls - kind of like playing guitar, if you have to think what your fingers are doing then your going to be too slow! It just comes down to practice and experimentation, and each car has its own traits for you to discover and learn.

Sorry this turned into a big post!

Shaneus

Old capture, but I've only just found a suitable USB device to copy to. But yeah, cut that a bit close.

Lol erm ok...

In general I like the lap I posted, it was smooth with no major mistakes but I lost time missing the apex at the end of the straight and on the last bend, and also with the big slide on the sweeping bend at the bottom of the hill. Someone beat that lap and I went nearly a second quicker than the video by getting those bits right and being a bit more aggressive on the corners at the end.

With regards to the atom, it accelerates & brakes and turns in very well, its disadvantages are it under steers at high speed and it's tricky to get the power down on slow speed corners. I tap the accelerator a lot and try to feel the grip - I think being in bumper view helps in this respect, it just seems to react quicker so you can see the slide coming. I also tap the brake a lot, sometimes with the accelerator pressed too! This was instinctive and I didn't realise I was doing it until someone said it can help keep certain cars under control. It does seem to help control the high speed understeer without unsettling the car.

It's like Merun said though, it's quite hard to say what you actually do as it's completely natural at this stage and I'm not thinking what my hands are doing on the controls - kind of like playing guitar, if you have to think what your fingers are doing then your going to be too slow! It just comes down to practice and experimentation, and each car has its own traits for you to discover and learn.

Sorry this turned into a big post!
Don't apologise! I have a handle on a few cars so I know exactly what you're talking about, but don't quite have the same mastery of the Atom yet. You definitely feather the throttle a lot more than I do, so I have a starting point. Still, was a killer run though!

djjinx2

First impressions are pretty good, I could see the benefit of the 60fps smoothness

FH2 is 30fps btw ;)

Wish I could spend more time practising, coming back to play DC after a few days off is really hard, my times are horrendous.

Man that DeZir drift is a pain in the ass as well

Also you can be slightly more aggressive on the first corner, you turned in slightly late and it is surprising how much speed that gains you for the straight directly after it.

Siegmeyer

Just put a twenty minute session in on Venom Hot Lap 2, got down to 1:20.8. I can see where I can gain some time but goddamn one tiny little mistake and your lap is shot because your tyres don't grip quick enough to correct yourself. Had to take a break because my eyes started to feel a bit weird after racing into the rain for that length of time.

system11

They have narrow appeal, that's why. Same reason only a fraction of people play harder campaign modes, and a smaller number still do speed runs through games. It's route memorisation and a high investment of time on an identical activity for a small return and low chances of winning. I tried it for a bit and gave it the middle finger after some of my times were repeatedly lost to connection failure post-race.

Merun

I also tap the brake a lot, sometimes with the accelerator pressed too! This was instinctive and I didn't realise I was doing it until someone said it can help keep certain cars under control. It does seem to help control the high speed understeer without unsettling the car.

You are not alone to do that. Depending on the car, I feather the brake in some places, or when exiting corner, I don't lift off the brake entirely and instead start to accelerate to regain the traction, then I let go of the brake.

Also, you gave me a run for my money yesterday on the Mercedes SLS Evo challenge, slowly creeping up on the leaderboard then imposing yourself as the final boss. I can be faster in the first section but my execution is a wreck lol, especially on the second hairpin at the end of the second section. I'm too irregular for the top of the leaderboard.

leng jai

They have narrow appeal, that's why. Same reason only a fraction of people play harder campaign modes, and a smaller number still do speed runs through games. It's route memorisation and a high investment of time on an identical activity for a small return and low chances of winning. I tried it for a bit and gave it the middle finger after some of my times were repeatedly lost to connection failure post-race.

The fact that still don't work half the time probably has something to do with it also.

danowat

Banned
Challenges are pretty much all I do now in DC, mainly time trials.

The tour mode is pretty dry and boring, granted the Elements one adds weather, and doesn't really offer anything you can't get by doing challenges.

I'd liked to have seen Evo do something different with the tour mode, it's been a long time since a driving game has done a decent tour or career mode, we are still doing to same stuff we were doing back in the 90's in Gran Turismo.

CozMick

Banned
Why are my challenge trophies not unlocking?

I send a solo challenge to a friend, they don't attempt it, I get nothing.

I send a solo challenge to a friend, they do attempt it, I win, I get nothing.

I send a solo challenge to 100 random people, I win, I get nothing.

Whats going on?

Merun

Whats going on?

Evolution are investigating the problem. I sent them a screenshot 2 or 3 weeks ago.

DBT85

Oh, huh just expected IGnition free, that's cool. Though I'm not good enough to do well in many of these, going to stick to the main campaign for now

Weird, all I'm doing mostly is challenges. Might it not just be that the trophy is busted like the other one with winning challenges?

Challenges are the shit. Haven't even tried a MP game lol.

Rushy

Whats going on?
There is a work around whilst we fix the problem, you just need to make sure you're online in the front-end when the challenge expires.

Mr Git

Weird, all I'm doing mostly is challenges. Might it not just be that the trophy is busted like the other one with winning challenges?

Yup I'm addicted to challenges and still haven't played a MP game either. We should rectify that soon! Can a club all club together and race another club?

desu

Whats going on?

When did you try this ? I did the trophies yesterday and they worked just fine (I send them to another account of mine, 1h limit, and I think I was in the game menu when they unlocked).

T.O.P

Banned
Was expecting the game to get a bit harder in the final tour :/
Or at least a more epic final race (Using the Venom is practically cheating compared to how the A.I. drives it)

Anyway gonna start the dlc content, and i bought the first Element pack as well since it was only 1.99$

SerTapTap

One thing I don't like about the AI, if I'm right in front of them and they're at about the same speed, they'll try and get around me as I cut them off, which seems perfect. If they're a ways behind me coming up at like 20 MPH faster than me, they'll gladly slam right into my ass when they have plenty of room and speed to overtake me properly (when I'm NOT trying to cut them off). Also this usually makes ME take a collision penalty and lose a clean lap.

I know ideally they shouldn't be going 20MPH faster than me, but I still screw up corners pretty hard sometimes

Mine popped the instant I sent it, a friend who started today got his too. IF it was broke I guess it's fixed.

NHale

What do you expect from a person that says this:

Well, rain is an important part of motorsport in that it causes delays, since they don't race in rain.

So much knowledge in motorsport.

But....shaving time off of my time trials is fun to me. As is going after scores friends have. I reran one of the drifts probably 30 times in an effort to get my third star and I enjoyed taking the time to learn the track to get that perfect run.

Also you can be slightly more aggressive on the first corner, you turned in slightly late and it is surprising how much speed that gains you for the straight directly after it.

Yeah I forgot about that - I kept clipping the dirt on the inside which would throw me into a slide (which I do again after the finish line) so I overcompensated and nearly hit the barrier on the other side. It just shows there's always more time to be saved even on what looks like a good lap.

Also, you gave me a run for my money yesterday on the Mercedes SLS Evo challenge, slowly creeping up on the leaderboard then imposing yourself as the final boss. I can be faster in the first section but my execution is a wreck lol, especially on the second hairpin at the end of the second section. I'm too irregular for the top of the leaderboard.

Hehe yeah I've seen someone do exactly the same thing to me (think it was Vaga) and creep up the leaderboard until they're ahead :)

I didn't think I'd get anywhere near the top of the board tbh as I was about 8 seconds off when I started, but in those conditions it is a case of learning how hard you can push, and of course trying not to cock up the last section when you've had a good first 2!

When did you try this ? I did the trophies yesterday and they worked just fine (I send them to another account of mine, 1h limit, and I think I was in the game menu when they unlocked).

Yeah I got my unbeatable trophy last night (actually properly won em all too! ;-) which unlocked whilst I was playing - challenges are all working fine for me too, not seen any issues on them recently.

Yup I'm addicted to challenges and still haven't played a MP game either. We should rectify that soon! Can a club all club together and race another club?

Challenges are brilliant and I'm loving the opportunity to compete with you guys even when your offine, but online multiplayer is well worth doing too despite the odd frustrating race.

There's no official way yet to do team v team but it'd be worth a try at getting two 6 player parties going and joining the same server to see if you can get on together.

hitgirl

Is there anyway to hide myself? I don't like getting all these challenges from people who are not friends. It would be great if I could just get challenges from friends and friends clubs.

Is there anyway to hide myself? I don't like getting all these challenges from people who are not friends. It would be great if I could just get challenges from friends and friends clubs.

I don't think there is at the mo - you'll be appearing in the suggested opponent list and peeps tend to fire challenges out to as many as possible hoping to get a bite.

chadskin

48/52 trophies (respectively 23/27 in the base game). Platinum is near, will be my first ever actually. I usually don't care about these things but hey, it's rather easy to get it in DC. :)

Siegmeyer

Another half hour session, and I got Venom Hot Lap 2 down to 1:20.16. This event is the most enjoyable form of torture. It's so hard to stay gentle on the throttle when you know you're on a quick lap, just one little slip and it's 'Options' > 'Restart' over and over.

Top Bottom