• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

So after about a week of playing on and off I've finally beaten the Rookie Trophy. Initially I worked my way up to it, playing each event but not quite getting all the stars in them. I felt like I was doing OK throughout. Then I got to the trophy event and got my ass kicked -- I could only get 1 of 9 stars. And I was feeling pretty good about myself before that, lol. So I went back and concentrated on getting every star in the other events, which sharped my skills a bit more. Even still, I found the trophy series pretty challenging (or getting every star certainly was, anyway). I'm finally able to move on to the Amateur stuff with a full 45/45 on Rookie.

Early stuff but it's fun. The learning curve on this game is great.

So after about a week of playing on and off I've finally beaten the Rookie Trophy. Initially I worked my way up to it, playing each event but not quite getting all the stars in them. I felt like I was doing OK throughout. Then I got to the trophy event and got my ass kicked -- I could only get 1 of 9 stars. And I was feeling pretty good about myself before that, lol. So I went back and concentrated on getting every star in the other events, which sharped my skills a bit more. Even still, I found the trophy series pretty challenging (or getting every star certainly was, anyway). I'm finally able to move on to the Amateur stuff with a full 45/45 on Rookie.

Early stuff but it's fun. The learning curve on this game is great.

I've had the game since launch and I'm only barely starting the Amateur series. Lol.

Too much distractions...challenges...time trials...multiplayer...

I've had the game since launch and I'm only barely starting the Amateur series. Lol.

Too much distractions...challenges...time trials...multiplayer...

Yep! Been concentrating the SP stuff the last few sessions. I did quite a few TT early on. I haven't even touched a MP race yet. I've been issuing challenges, though, especially as I've had a few good runs in the rookie races. I just realized that I'm in No. 803 on the rookie tour leaderboards. Not bad for a scrub like me.

Just seen the Evo challenges - thanks for making one on my favourite track where I have a lot of great times, however no thanks for picking the Mazzanti :p

I need the DLC, too much time waiting till the release of the DLC, cause i want to play the DLC but i can't if the DLC does'nt release.

Rushy, the DLC pls.

:(

SI'm finally able to move on to the Amateur stuff with a full 45/45 on Rookie.

And then the difficulty starts anew. The first Amateur race I played kicked my fucking ass-- the cars are so much faster, which takes some getting acclimated to. And this was after getting all stars in Rookie and besting some friend's scores. I am still getting creamed in the Audi Norway race and the British race. No way I am getting the final two stars from them right now... but I don't want to attempt the Amateur final race without getting all the stars-- and those are my final two... :(

Meanwhile, I find new things to love about this game every day, even if I have an off-day, like today. It just makes me want to figure out how to find the zen-racing place more. I may not get to play tomorrow, fucking work!, and my skills will degrade even more... le sigh.

EDIT: Shit, the DLC comes out tomorrow. :shakes fist!

benzy

Game came in. I am finally part of the Drivecult. How do I get in the GAF club? Or whatever?

Add DRIVECLUB-GAF to your friend's list, then add everyone/anyone on that profile to your friend's list, then check online to see which friend's clubs have available spots. There's isn't just one gaf club since each club only allows 6 players.

lordxar

Here's some strange idea.s Why no draft challenges? How about some coop challenges for clubs? Like two or more participants needing to finish better than a rival club either by time or position...both?

AngerdX

Can´t wait another couple of hors and i can get the season pass, think this will even be my first season pass for any game yet, love the game even tho i suck a bit, i miss using my wheel and find it hard to really push it with a controller but still having a ton of fun, should also probably try the online soon. :)

Have I read here that trophies for winning solo challenges aren't unlocking properly? I won a solo challenge against a friend tonight but didn't the trophy for doing so. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the requirement?

NeoRausch

Have I read here that trophies for winning solo challenges aren't unlocking properly? I won a solo challenge against a friend tonight but didn't the trophy for doing so. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the requirement?

They are broken and Evo is working on it. On the last page:

There is a work around whilst we fix the problem, you just need to make sure you're online in the front-end when the challenge expires.

Bluenova

Neo Member
Doh! I should have remembered Horizon is 30 FPS too, it does appear real smooth but yeah, I prefer DC..

That was in the arcade racer thread I made. That particular post was baffling. Apparently a racing game shouldn't be about time trials unless it has simulator handling.

Oh haha really. you mean the embarrassment of riches racer thread?

I think of Horizon like Burnout paradise, as driving games, because I have the freedom to choose which roads, screw off, make wrong turns and there are no cops. It just feels like driving. Sometimes its racing around with no where to go haha

DriveClub for me is a true racing game, I'm trying to improve and master my car and the track, looking awesome doing it. I play racers like these much longer sessions.

I don't control my club The Formula, search for it and request inv. We got 4 spots and would definitely want more gaffers! im repeating this alot haha

DBT85

Just tried one of the other EVO challenges, Merc on the shirt wet track. Got to 2 secs off the pace, just can't quite get the last 2 turns quite right to carry the speed.

So much fun!

Merun

I thought there would be some tracks that had static weather effects, is what I meant.

All tour events have preset weather, or static as you put it. Even when they use dynamic precipitations, you will always have the same weather transition during the race.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
All tour events have preset weather, or static as you put it. Even when they use dynamic precipitations, you will always have the same weather transition during the race.

Right. I thought that some of the standard tour would feature some of the more extreme weather settings as the preset is what I meant.

Just tried one of the other EVO challenges, Merc on the shirt wet track. Got to 2 secs off the pace, just can't quite get the last 2 turns quite right to carry the speed.

So much fun!
Yeah hard one that. I struggle with the opening twists. It is too dark to see where the mud is, and I think it was set to 1x lapse.

Here's some strange idea.s Why no draft challenges? How about some coop challenges for clubs? Like two or more participants needing to finish better than a rival club either by time or position...both?

Draft challenge? How would that work? Follow another car through a series of bends?

Co-op club challenges would be cool, but I don't know if the challenges are popular enough - I only see two/three of my clubmates regularly do challenges are we're probably one of the more active out there.

Hopefully when the private lobbies arrive we'll be able to send 2v2 or 3v3 race challenges out to other clubs (as in online multiplayer not AI) - in my club we have 2 Brits, 2 Americans and a Finn so getting us all together at the same time would be a bit of a nightmare.

DBT85

Yeah hard one that. I struggle with the opening twists. It is too dark to see where the mud is, and I think it was set to 1x lapse.

The opening ones have a certain flow, just need to get the first one right to get the turn in for the second and third! Hopefully I'll get a chance to try and improve later, not too far behind a few of the folks on here!

The opening ones have a certain flow, just need to get the first one right to get the turn in for the second and third! Hopefully I'll get a chance to try and improve later, not too far behind a few of the folks on here!
Yeah, indeed so. Once you get the flow it is easy, but get one bit wrong and you're fecked for the next 10 corners!

Interestingly when I do get it right and manage to avoid hidden mud traps I was often ahead of the top time, but they then gain on the hairpins.

crispyben

I did it! Hell yeah! I got all 45 stars for the Elements tour :D OK, I cheated and used the Brightness setting on my TV, but still, I didn't think I'd manage it... Woohoo! 1'19"788 of clenched cheeks, now I can relax.

I decided to revisit the original tour and played the MINI GP event which takes place on the India track Glenmorgan. I scored a time of 3:14,717 (two laps) which placed me at rank 5221 on the leaderboard. So wondering why i suck so hard i looked up the best times on the leaderboard. To my surprise the top 10 are al below 2:09. How in the hell is this even possible?

Next i played a round of time trial on the same track with the MINI and placed 17th on the leaderboards with a time of 1:31,644. The best time is currently 1:28,338. So two laps would be around the 3 minute mark which is not even close to the 2 minutes as recorded in the tour event.

Are the tour leaderboards messed up or are my driving skills worse than i thought? If it's the latter: someone please teach me!

lordxar

Draft challenge? How would that work? Follow another car through a series of bends?

Co-op club challenges would be cool, but I don't know if the challenges are popular enough - I only see two/three of my clubmates regularly do challenges are we're probably one of the more active out there.

Hopefully when the private lobbies arrive we'll be able to send 2v2 or 3v3 race challenges out to other clubs (as in online multiplayer not AI) - in my club we have 2 Brits, 2 Americans and a Finn so getting us all together at the same time would be a bit of a nightmare.

The Draft thing hit me because I'm one accolade short of my last challenge for the trophy and drafting is the closest thing to finish. So I ran several single events just drafting the hell out of competitors. Which is kind of tough to maintain for distance. No clue how it would work though lol just an idea. Only 55 miles of drafting to go...smh

Shaneus

Oh god, that second event (or whatever) with that Renault hot lap. Even though I was around half a second slower than the *** ghost around the first few corners, blew past it after absolutely nailing the next couple. Managed to get down to 57.5 (1.5s from the three-star time) and could've knocked off at least another .5s.

Didn't like that car at first, but after a few laps of grabbing it's reins, it was godly.

DBT85

Just had a crack at the other two Evo events. Terribad at both lol

I decided to revisit the original tour and played the MINI GP event which takes place on the India track Glenmorgan. I scored a time of 3:14,717 (two laps) which placed me at rank 5221 on the leaderboard. So wondering why i suck so hard i looked up the best times on the leaderboard. To my surprise the top 10 are al below 2:09. How in the hell is this even possible?

Next i played a round of time trial on the same track with the MINI and placed 17th on the leaderboards with a time of 1:31,644. The best time is currently 1:28,338. So two laps would be around the 3 minute mark which is not even close to the 2 minutes as recorded in the tour event.

Are the tour leaderboards messed up or are my driving skills worse than i thought? If it's the latter: someone please teach me!

When you look at the best times, are you looking at best times with that car or with all cars?

Merun

Oh god, that second event (or whatever) with that Renault hot lap. Even though I was around half a second slower than the *** ghost around the first few corners, blew past it after absolutely nailing the next couple. Managed to get down to 57.5 (1.5s from the three-star time) and could've knocked off at least another .5s.

Didn't like that car at first, but after a few laps of grabbing it's reins, it was godly.

The Renault Alpine is one heck of a car. First you rev the engine and it's like "Ohhhh yeahhh", then you turn, it's "fffff**** this s****", but when you understand it, it's simply awesome.

Also I'm trying hard not to touch the Evo challenge, else I'm good for another 2 hours on each of them.

I cannot beat the 2:51 time on the Best of British race of the Amateur Tour. I think it is that section near the end where there are two tight turns... I cannot seem to hit that properly. That is the last star before I try the Amateur final race, but I think I am going to say fuck it and just skip it.

For those who have played the new DLC already, are the tour events as 'hard' as the Ignition/Photo Finish ones? Are they all super/hyper car challenges?

Top Bottom