• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Siegmeyer

For those who have played the new DLC already, are the tour events as 'hard' as the Ignition/Photo Finish ones? Are they all super/hyper car challenges?

I'd say the Elements events are among the hardest yet, and there was one event in the Redline Tour in the X-Bow that had a real tricky 3 Star time.

Merun

For those who have played the new DLC already, are the tour events as 'hard' as the Ignition/Photo Finish ones? Are they all super/hyper car challenges?

I didn't find them harder, but judging difficulty isn't easy as it depends of the person. Let's say I had trouble with:
Venom Hot Lap 2, 1 hour and half to get it down
Stingray Drift, I hate this car, can't really understand how it drift
Audi R8 race at night, really tricky but it didn't take many retry
M5 uphill drift faceoff, a few retries there.
Second race of the Elements trophy, because, snow and hypercar speed on the straight.
McClaren F1/P1 race, needed some training with the F1
Ferrari race, as the goal was to keep for 30 seconds the lead

Otherwise the other events were unmemorable difficulty wise. As a comparison, I had trouble with both X-bow events of Ignition and the McClaren P1 Hot lap of Photo Finish.

And yes, they are all super/hypercar events.

edit: Not sure if the Stingray is a super or hyper...
edit 2: added some other event which I had difficulties.

They are broken and Evo is working on it. On the last page:

I saw that on the last page. That's what I thought. However, I was online in the front end when the challenge expired. I fired up the game and checked my challenges and it just happened to have about a minute left, so I watched it count down. I was on top of the leaderboard, but no trophy. Guess it's not a sure fire fix.

I might have now figured out what happened with my challenge. I assume someone actually has to take the challenge to validate it? No attempts were logged other than my own.

lordxar

I saw that on the last page. That's what I thought. However, I was online in the front end when the challenge expired. I fired up the game and checked my challenges and it just happened to have about a minute left, so I watched it count down. I was on top of the leaderboard, but no trophy. Guess it's not a sure fire fix.

I did mine last night with an alt account and it worked fine. No I don't normally use alt accounts, I'd rather earn my stripes but between the network issues, my sucky friends not playing, and my good friends smoking my times I just said fk it. Besides I was down to my last three trophies anyway.

OK so from what I've read, player one does a time trial and sends a challenge to player two who is not part of their club. You close DC and login as your alt, race slowly, and finish behind your main. Now this is important, make sure the alts time gets committed before you move on. Close DC again and log back on as your main. Fart around for an hour in DC as your main account and blam, trophy. If you send five challenges via that procedure then the second pops shortly after the first. Basically send five challenges to your alt, then as the alt run them but slower and let your time register. Then log back on as your main, wait, profit!

I think what hurts everyone is that either the people your challenging are not letting their time update before leaving the standings screen (it does update in the background but may not count) or your not online when the challenge expires and maybe some of both. At least that's what I gathered from pstrophies or a similar site. The process above worked fine for me though since it's a pretty controlled environment.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The new content is up in the US Playstation store on the website.

I have the season pass and the Redline / Elements livery packs aren't showing up as owned however. The tours themselves / car packs do show as purchased.

lordxar

Thanks lordxar. See my post right above. That might be it.

Lol saw that after I punched my reply in. You definitely need two people but even then their not always popping. I know I've won two of my challenges legitimately so I should have had the single challenge trophy before last night. Anyway it's a bit of boosting but my previous post does work to get those to pop. Six and one half to trading wins with a buddy...

I checked the OT1 OP and didn't find this, so I'm asking here. Can someone give me a refresher on the tour packs? What was supposed to be paid and free, and what was made free as an apology for the server issues? Are the two new tours really only $2 and $5, or is that just an introductory price? (If that's the actual price, that's pretty cool.) Looks like they're selling the Ignition tour separate from the livery, but the Redline content is combined. What's up with that? Also, is this about how much the subsequent DLC tours will cost? Basically I'm trying to get a feel for the overall season pass cost savings.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I'm considering buying my first ever season pass because I'd like to support Evo, but the way my brain works is that I need all the context. I think such a rundown might be good in the OP of OT2, since others who are just now jumping in after the server fixes and holiday sales may be in the same boat.

Shaneus

The Renault Alpine is one heck of a car. First you rev the engine and it's like "Ohhhh yeahhh", then you turn, it's "fffff**** this s****", but when you understand it, it's simply awesome.
Hah, that's exactly my reaction to it. Like I said, before I got it, I thought I'd barely get that time. Then I "got" the car, and smashed it.

It may become my second or third favourite next to the F1 and Mono.

Why are the livery packs $.99? I thought the season pass included those?

The new content is up in the US Playstation store on the website.

I have the season pass and the Redline / Elements livery packs aren't showing up as owned however. The tours themselves / car packs do show as purchased.

Same here. No big deal, I guess, but they better sort it out. I did tweet them about the issue, though.

Rushy

Am i the only one who thinks that the challenges and stars getting tougher and tougher ?! I'm gettint really frustrated
We're going to be re-looking at the difficulty and making changes down the line as we recognise some events are too hard (although Venom Hot Lap 2 won't be changed!)

With DRIVECLUB being a service we'll be continually balancing and improving the game. Keep your feedback coming and we'll do what we can do to keep the game fresh for everyone playing.

Ranger X

With DRIVECLUB being a service we'll be continually balancing and improving the game. Keep your feedback coming and we'll do what we can do to keep the game fresh for everyone playing.

Any ETA you can give us on that "infinite loading icon" problem?
You guys fixed the leaderboard pop-ups lately but I still "infinite icon" on the challenges most of the time and the notification window 100% never loads.

SerTapTap

Notifications never works for me either (though I still get challenges thanks to PS4 Game Alerts). Other than that the infinite loading seems mostly gone.

Shaneus

We're going to be re-looking at the difficulty and making changes down the line as we recognise some events are too hard (although Venom Hot Lap 2 won't be changed!)

Maybe just make the first 2/3 trophies easier? I'd hate to see the difficulty toned down, right now it's the perfect balance of forcing players to rethink their driving. No kidding, I'm probably better at driving games overall because of some of those challenges.

Sp33Demon

Just tried out Redline and boy is the new Corvette a piece of shit in this game. Feels like it weights 6000 lbs when braking and turning into corners.

NeoRausch

Am I the only one who thinks that there ist more gust and tiresmoke after the last update.
I like it, but am I high or official high?

I have to buy elements to get some weather in a tour setting? This is disgusting. I am disgusted.

As someone said earlier, the weather update wasn't live when the game launched. I guess the solutions to this would be either erasing the leaderboards for any tour events from the base game in which the weather was added, or simply make the Elements DLC free. How would you handle it?

lordxar

Maybe just make the first 2/3 trophies easier? I'd hate to see the difficulty toned down, right now it's the perfect balance of forcing players to rethink their driving. No kidding, I'm probably better at driving games overall because of some of those challenges.

Agreed. This doesn't need to be made easier to cater to those who don't want to put the effort in. Yea I'm pissed off that I can't beat some of these tour times but that's not lets tone it down pissed it's the let me get better as a driver so I can shove this time up their ass anger! Personally I like the chance to excel and I think that makes this game the better for it. Maybe on future tour events it could be toned a shade but let the existing events stand.

I've busted my ass to hit 170/225 stars on tour and do not want that cheapened. 192/405 overall.

Im stuck on Best of the British. Neither the Bentley tank to shove fools out of the way or spry Lotus is helping. Norsk Hill Climb is a pita, as is TAAPACA run. Punching Above Your Weight is a stupid pita otherwise up to semipro I've got all the stars. I'd much rather tackle those and beat them than to just log on and magically have more stars. This game has a great sense of accomplishment.

Siegmeyer

I checked the OT1 OP and didn't find this, so I'm asking here. Can someone give me a refresher on the tour packs? What was supposed to be paid and free, and what was made free as an apology for the server issues? Are the two new tours really only $2 and $5, or is that just an introductory price? (If that's the actual price, that's pretty cool.) Looks like they're selling the Ignition tour separate from the livery, but the Redline content is combined. What's up with that? Also, is this about how much the subsequent DLC tours will cost? Basically I'm trying to get a feel for the overall season pass cost savings.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I'm considering buying my first ever season pass because I'd like to support Evo, but the way my brain works is that I need all the context. I think such a rundown might be good in the OP of OT2, since others who are just now jumping in after the server fixes and holiday sales may be in the same boat.

The first two tour expansions, Ignition and Photo Finish, were offered free due to the initial problems. Yes the others really are that cheap. The $2 is just tour events, the $5 one is another set of tour events, but also includes new cars (5 I think). I seem to recall (from this thread?) that the Season Pass is $25 for $75 worth of content if you were to buy them separately. All future tracks will be free for all though, the paid stuff is tour events, extra cars and liveries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Rushy

I've busted my ass to hit 170/225 stars on tour and do not want that cheapened. 192/405 overall.
We're keenly aware of the effort people have put in, myself included (403/405 right now), and we want to make sure we keep everyone happy in future updates.

lordxar

We're keenly aware of the effort people have put in, myself included (403/405 right now), and we want to make sure we keep everyone happy in future updates.

If anything maybe a difficulty selector? Like standard keeps things as they are but easy makes them noob friendly or something. I'd leave the trophy based ones alone though or not get the trophies on easy.

Edit: how do you guys determine the times needed?

IKizzLE

I have to buy elements to get some weather in a tour setting? This is disgusting. I am disgusted.
It sucks, but is expected. Do you want everyone who put lap times to be pissed when they are wiped to implement weather?

You can just go do single event or play online to race in weather.

system11

I would say something needs to be done about visibility. I'm really struggling to get anywhere in the Elements final event (first round) because of the light hitting the water for half the course. Can't see a damn thing (third person camera), the CPU cars can see just fine. Oh, and I'm absolutely sick and fucking tired of CPU cars smacking me into a fishtail in round 2. Edit: that third race was ridiculous, zero visibility with that Star Wars hyperspace effect all over the screen. I love the weather stuff in multiplayer, but in tour it's not fair trying to compete with cars that can see in the dark/snow/etc and have AI traction control.

405/405

The first two tour expansions, Ignition and Photo Finish, were offered free due to the initial problems. Yes the others really are that cheap. The $2 is just tour events, the $5 one is another set of tour events, but also includes new cars (5 I think). I seem to recall (from this thread?) that the Season Pass is $25 for $75 worth of content if you were to buy them separately. All future tracks will be free for all though, the paid stuff is tour events, extra cars and liveries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks. I dug around some more and did find the $25/$75 description. That seems pretty swell. I have quite a lot more meat on the bone in the base game and two free DLC tours for now, but if the game keeps its hold on my I'll grab the pass.

viveks86

Here's an idea. Reduce the entry barrier for locked events. Something like 1 star in all previous events should unlock the next set. That way people who aren't as good can still experience all the content, difficulty remains the same, and the completionists can still rage over missing the 3rd star by 0.009 seconds. Everyone's happy!

What about the people who want the game to be easier so that they can get every single star? Well, they can take a walk.

Shaneus

I just have to say, massive props to Rushy for keeping us up to date and in touch directly with Evo regarding this game, and the rest of the team for some insanely fantastic work. Definitely my GOTY.

BTW I've noticed a few anomalies with some things, one that caught my eye was some global shadows not getting reflected in the rear-view mirror (so a hill casting a shadow across the road in front doesn't do it in the rear-view). Another was fireworks not reflecting off the car or the road in fireworks.

But man, these are tiny little things. I'm nitpicking because everything else is just sublime.

le-seb

BTW I've noticed a few anomalies with some things, one that caught my eye was some global shadows not getting reflected in the rear-view mirror (so a hill casting a shadow across the road in front doesn't do it in the rear-view).
Well, a lot of things don't reflect in the rear view mirrors, if you look attentively: dust clouds, water sprays, smoke, power lines, spectators...

Fortunately, you're generally more interested by what's going on in front of you than behind, and won't notice.

Shaneus

Well, a lot of things don't reflect in the rear view mirrors, if you look attentively: dust clouds, water sprays, smoke, power lines, spectators...

Fortunately, you're generally more interested by what's going on in front of you than behind, and won't notice.
Oh I know, but that's one of the more obvious ones because the road ahead would be completely overcast with shadow, but behind you still see the shadows from the cars against directly sunlit road. It's not offputting, just a little thing I saw.

Merun

Here's an idea. Reduce the entry barrier for locked events. Something like 1 star in all previous events should unlock the next set. That way people who aren't as good can still experience all the content, difficulty remains the same, and the completionists can still rage over missing the 3rd star by 0.009 seconds. Everyone's happy!

What about the people who want the game to be easier so that they can get every single star? Well, they can take a walk.

This sounds good. Personally I'm fine with the difficulty so far. Yes there was some spike, but with some training I overcame them.

Also Rushy got me tonight for the Mclaren F1 LM Evo challenge by saying that it was the hardest yet lol.

Shaneus

This sounds good. Personally I'm fine with the difficulty so far. Yes there was some spike, but with some training I overcame them.

Also Rushy got me tonight for the Mclaren F1 LM Evo challenge by saying that it was the hardest yet lol.

I'm happy with this too. That way you don't lock people out of the later events, but the people that want to be pushed, can be. I also think the 1-trophy goals are perfect for casual players. I can usually get them on my first or second go, but I think they'd be enough to push a casual player to do at least a little well.

wilflare

eh I can't remotely queue the DLC via the Web Store?
do I have to download the free DLC in-game?

hmm so the Ignition Pack is made free from the Paid/Season Pass as an apology right?

+1

This makes a lot of sense.

Merun

eh I can't remotely queue the DLC via the Web Store?
do I have to download the free DLC in-game?

hmm so the Ignition Pack is made free from the Paid/Season Pass as an apology right?

Ignition and Photo Finish are free. Also you don't really need to download the DLC; they are included in the 2gb of the patches. What you get then is an unlock code with the DLC.

dano1

A Sheep

Great idea!

Top Bottom