• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Field

Any clubs accepting absolutely terrible drivers lol? Or could I just create my own club to try to unlock the cars? Just got the game yesterday.

I'm probably going to catch a lot of heat for this comment but, I'm honestly going to struggle to play other racing games after Driveclub, regardless of how complex their handling model is on paper. I can honestly say, Driveclub gets closest to the actual *feel* and excitement of driving a real performance car on the road than anything else. I used to be quite dismissive of games that didn't model various intricacies of real road cars, or games that would embellish on the parameters of their model to make it more exciting.. which is exactly what Driveclub does, all while pushing players into some extremely demanding scenarios.

I'm off the opinion now that staunchly mapping real world parameters straight across into a videogame, where there are no real world forces and feedback, does not result in something that captures the sensation and excitement of driving a real performance car. This is more and more apparent the further down the chain you go in terms of vehicle power. ~200bhp modern, insulated hot-hatches are still a hoot to drive in real life and yet how many driving games capture this without it becoming an utter snoozefest? I think there's a reason games prefer to get the player in a raucous, stripped out race car as quickly as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBNIkay2nlo

People seem to be quite dismissive of Evo's driving model in Driveclub but it's supremely challenging in the scenarios the player is placed in, greatly rewards players with an understanding of real world dynamics and most importantly, captures the feeling of pushing a performance car on the road. Other developers would do well to take notice of what Evo has done.

Ferr986

@Rushy

Please, please, PLEASE don't make this game easier. I just read on N4G that you guys will be tweaking the difficulty and making the game easier. Say it isn't true! This game is very hard at times, but it's part of the appeal. This is a racer that separates the boys from the men, take pride in that!

Fuck the filthy casuals who are used to have first-place handed to them on a silver platter. XD

Keep in mind that I DONT want them to nerf the difficulty, but I totally understand if they do easier Tour modes.

I mean, I didnt bought the Season Pass because there's no point for me, I can't even beat the main tour and the DLC ones are already harder. I'm fine with that because I'm enjoying doing single races, multiplayer or trying the challenges I'm receiving, but I can understand that Evo wants to broad the content of their Season pass to more audiences (and yes, trying to get more sales with that). That doesn't mean every new Tour have to be easier, but atleast having new content for everyone. Same as cars, not every new car needs to be a Super/Hyper.

@Rushy

Please, please, PLEASE don't make this game easier. I just read on N4G that you guys will be tweaking the difficulty and making the game easier. Say it isn't true! This game is very hard at times, but it's part of the appeal. This is a racer that separates the boys from the men, take pride in that!

Fuck the filthy casuals who are used to have first-place handed to them on a silver platter. XD
Some of the difficulty spikes in the Elements tour threw cockpit players under the bus due to the visibility imo. Name an event in another driving game harder than top starring Venom 2 in cockpit. Not to mention how dependant that event was on using the AI ghost for a visibility aid.

I'm playing the Elements DLC right now and there's an event called 'BMW MG GP'...and there's a drift challenge which I just can't get close to. I have to score 2200. I've watched YT videos on how to do it, and these guys are getting close to a 1000 points on the first corner. I try it and I get barely more than 400. Even though I'm drifting just as fast and as sideways as they are. I swear my points aren't accumulating as fast as theirs are.

Hojaho

I'm playing the Elements DLC right now and there's an event called 'BMW MG GP'...and there's a drift challenge which I just can't get close to. I have to score 2200. I've watched YT videos on how to do it, and these guys are getting close to a 1000 points on the first corner. I try it and I get barely more than 400. Even though I'm drifting just as fast and as sideways as they are. I swear my points aren't accumulating as fast as theirs are.

I think you can only do it at the 3rd lap or 4th, when the road is really wet. There are 3 corners, I manage to do something like 2201 points doing 0 point on the 2nd one.
Good luck.

I think you can only do it at the 3rd lap or 4th, when the road is really wet. There are 3 corners, I manage to do something like 2201 points doing 0 point on the 2nd one.
Good luck.

Ha, I was just about to come back and edit my original comment to say that I managed to to do it on my 2nd lap. XD

Silly me. I was worried for a second there.

Try to do the other stars first. Then start a new race, let the other cars get away and just focus on the drift.

Edit: congrats!

This has to be the most bizarre race I've ever had.

http://youtu.be/T-OqgsAA2_w

At first I thought they were trolling as I was so far ahead but 5-6 cars all wheel spinning with their noses in the barriers all around the track?!? Unfortunately I missed the start of the race on the vid but the guy who 'won' I left at the start line never to be seen again...

lordxar

This has to be the most bizarre race I've ever had.

http://youtu.be/T-OqgsAA2_w

At first I thought they were trolling as I was so far ahead but 5-6 cars all wheel spinning with their noses in the barriers all around the track?!? Unfortunately I missed the start of the race on the vid but the guy who 'won' I left at the start line never to be seen again...

I‘ve noticed on the MP TT that the ghosts dont sync right. Like I did one last night and was first until about 3 seconds after the first finish line when I was dropped to third. First place guy was behind me the whole time. My guess is the cars you saw driving into walls were lagged and the invisible cars similar. Your PS got the time updates but not the ghosts probably.

Ted

I mentioned that a few weeks ago, and apparently it is possible.. so that's just dumb in my opinion and a very bad oversight by Evolution

I've never seen a challenge modified before so it's news to me that it's possible, and it certainly shouldn't be.

I sent one yesterday to a friend of mine just to see if I could edit it. I couldn't find an obvious way unless it has something to do with forwarding the challenge and modifying it at that point.

I'll have another play tonight/tomorrow.

And that wall riding is something I saw prior to the 'sticky barrier' patch and it really put me off time trials at the time. My clubmate was complaining about people wall riding online on the first of the Japanese tracks too so it's really disappointing if that's the case. I didn't like the sticky barriers online as it was too easy for the guy in front to block, but I like wall riding in time trials even less.

Yeah, it's a pet-peeve of mine and one why I strongly believe mechanical damage models, even simple ones, are good for most driving games, from straight up sim to arcade time chase racers.

I've not played much of the multi-player as yet due to connection issues at my end so I can't comment on the sticky walls there, I tried a quick race and there was a bit of typical punting but nothing too serious or consequential due to the limited pace of the cars we were in.

thundr51

@Rushy

I understand for the pros that you really want the satisfaction and pride of fighting to the top but while I like the game and already bought some of the other tours, I can't get enough stars to get pass the first tourney(I HATE drifting). It happens to me with all racing games, I get to a point where I get so far and I reach my limit. Now I feel bad that I bought the Ignited tour and while I was thinking of buying the season pass, I feel like it'll be a waste of money. At first it was great with the 'Top 3' stars, but as I got further that changed to 'Top 2', then 'Finish ahead of ???' who just happens to be in first, and now it's 'Finish first'. Who wants to spend money on content that you'll never be able to access? I like racing games but I also like other games as well. I'm also almost 40 with 3 kids and a social life so I'm not going to spend hours trying to perfect my driving line while my youngest needs help with his math. I know, you pro's don't care and if Evo wants to keep the difficulty up, that's their decision, but it's my decision if I want to spend more money on this game and warn my friends away from purchasing it. Either way, I have to admit that even though I originally was going to just wait for the PS+ version, I'm glad I took the plunge and bought it.

tldr; I enjoy more games than just Driveclub, if they want me to buy more content, find a way to make it accessible.

Ted

(I HATE drifting)

For what it is worth, to some extent you can probably get two stars on the early few drift events (the only ones I've done so far) by pretty much yanking the handbrake and skidding right across as much tarmac through the corner as you can. Even if you come off the track or hit a wall or even spin you won't lose the points you already gained so you don't need to worry too much about a nice controlled drift with a decent exit. Combine a big long handbrake skid with maximising the speed zone points (which is basically driving in a straight line) and a couple of runs should net you a star or two with luck.

Also, to avoid the things you don't want to do/aren't great at, do all of the things you do want to/are good at. I did all of the early hatch back events and have only done another half a dozen events or so and am only 6 stars from being able to do the third tropied tour event.

Good luck thundr. :)

Oh, and can I get up in the NeoGAF Club please? My name is the same as here.

cover.jpg

SerTapTap

Yeah you have do "download" each DLC manually, but you can do that in the Store Section in the game, so it's not a big deal.

..which is also why it shows that people "also bought" every single DLC, since a download counts as a purchase, you even get a "Thank you for your purchase" mail.

Yeah, I noticed both of those, kind of silly, but the ingame menu alleviates almost all the trouble. Nothing like manually downloading DLC for PS3 or Vita. I'd prefer automatic claiming/downloading, but maybe it isn't possible if the content isn't all released at once. Driveclub's way of letting you get it from the ingame menu is really nice though, about the best stopgap you could do ingame.

@Rushy

I'm pretty bad at the game but don't really have a problem with the difficulty. The reset to track/no car damage/general wall-hitting physics are mostly forgiving enough without being "rewind to win". I enjoyed Burnout Paradise which was much easier, but I think open world games have more of an excuse/need to be very easy. I don't think slightly more generous star goals in some of the tours would be the end of the world but I don't think the general game difficulty needs a major nerf

thundr51

The first tour is the sweet spot for me, I just need to avoid the Ignited and Elements tours. Photofinish is tough, but I at least feel like I can compete there. I'm level 26 and I can get at least 2 stars on those drift events basically doing exactly what you stated...when I'm lucky. I'm starting to get to the harder stuff now and while it's not impossible it seems random sometimes. It almost seems like the other drivers are there mostly just to get in the way(especially on PtP), limit the amount of points per race or something. I sometimes have to go out of my way to avoid them and they STILL manage to hit me from behind/side when the driving line is on the other side of the road (normally this happens when I've already got the Top 3/win star and going back to get challenge stuff). I still have to admit that I'm having a lot of fun with this game and started my own club/new PSN just so I can build it up with no problems, but it's rather frustrating now that I'm at the semi-pro level. You'd think with Pagani's, Ferrari's and Gumperts on the grid somebody would be more careful about where they're putting their car and generally being aware of their surroundings...but then again, it's not real life...no matter how good the visuals are.

Thanks for the luck...I'll need it.

@Rushy - Here's an idea, maybe after losing/restarting/failing to get any stars so may times, the player can start in a different spot on the grid. ie, instead of always starting last, move them up to eventually get to the first position. Of course this won't help with the time trials, but it sure would make races easier for the less talented while the pros shouldn't notice any difference in their games (because they'd NEVER have to a race more than once...right?)

For what it is worth, to some extent you can probably get two stars on the early few drift events (the only ones I've done so far) by pretty much yanking the handbrake and skidding right across as much tarmac through the corner as you can. Even if you come off the track or hit a wall or even spin you won't lose the points you already gained so you don't need to worry too much about a nice controlled drift with a decent exit. Combine a big long handbrake skid with maximising the speed zone points (which is basically driving in a straight line) and a couple of runs should net you a star or two with luck.

Also, to avoid the things you don't want to do/aren't great at, do all of the things you do want to/are good at. I did all of the early hatch back events and have only done another half a dozen events or so and am only 6 stars from being able to do the third tropied tour event.

Good luck thundr. :)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Finally caught up and passed Vagabone in fame last night before I went to bed, think I'm at about 33,550,XXX thereabouts putting me just outside the Top 1000.

I‘ve noticed on the MP TT that the ghosts dont sync right. Like I did one last night and was first until about 3 seconds after the first finish line when I was dropped to third. First place guy was behind me the whole time. My guess is the cars you saw driving into walls were lagged and the invisible cars similar. Your PS got the time updates but not the ghosts probably.

On mp time trial you pick when to start so the guys who beat your lap time started after you did. This was a race that started off normally then had 5 cars stuck in the barriers and I was beaten by someone who wasn't there!

Sorc3r3r

I'm probably going to catch a lot of heat for this comment but, I'm honestly going to struggle to play other racing games after Driveclub, regardless of how complex their handling model is on paper. I can honestly say, Driveclub gets closest to the actual *feel* and excitement of driving a real performance car on the road than anything else. I used to be quite dismissive of games that didn't model various intricacies of real road cars, or games that would embellish on the parameters of their model to make it more exciting.. which is exactly what Driveclub does, all while pushing players into some extremely demanding scenarios.

I'm off the opinion now that staunchly mapping real world parameters straight across into a videogame, where there are no real world forces and feedback, does not result in something that captures the sensation and excitement of driving a real performance car. This is more and more apparent the further down the chain you go in terms of vehicle power. ~200bhp modern, insulated hot-hatches are still a hoot to drive in real life and yet how many driving games capture this without it becoming an utter snoozefest? I think there's a reason games prefer to get the player in a raucous, stripped out race car as quickly as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBNIkay2nlo

People seem to be quite dismissive of Evo's driving model in Driveclub but it's supremely challenging in the scenarios the player is placed in, greatly rewards players with an understanding of real world dynamics and most importantly, captures the feeling of pushing a performance car on the road. Other developers would do well to take notice of what Evo has done.

Eh, as a BIG GT fan, i have to agree with you.
As much as i love GT after playing DC something has changed in my perception of what and how a car should feel in a game.
The grin i have when playing with an hyper car in DC is something that never happened to me in GT.
Doing time trials in a stormy weather, taking blind turns at 200 kmh, the car that slides and kicks with all its power while i'm trying to keep it on the tarmac, just magnificent.

DC to me has been a gaming revelation of my own expectations.

I dunno if the sentence up there makes sense, but yeah, great game.

So has everyone been purchasing the season pass so far? Or are you guys just working with the default track and free tracks that Evo has been adding?

I ask because I think I'm going to use the PSN 10% discount to purchase DC, but wasn't sure if I should jump into the pass yet.

So has everyone been purchasing the season pass so far? Or are you guys just working with the default track and free tracks that Evo has been adding?

I ask because I think I'm going to use the PSN 10% discount to purchase DC, but wasn't sure if I should jump into the pass yet.

I bought the season pass after the weather update hit, I was holding off to make sure the online was fixed and that the weather lived up to expectations.

I would say the season pass is worth it, you'll hate having certain cars and paint jobs locked away from you and the extra tour events are well worth the price of admission.

On the flip side, the season pass is what....$24.99? So you're saving $2.50 with that discount code...might be worth holding off to make sure you really like the game first.

On the flip side, the season pass is what....$24.99? So you're saving $2.50 with that discount code...might be worth holding off to make sure you really like the game first.

Yeah, I think I'll wait a bit longer on the pass and I can live with missing out on the $2.50 savings down the road. Thank you for your thoughts!

Gen X

Eh, as a BIG GT fan, i have to agree with you.
As much as i love GT after playing DC something has changed in my perception of what and how a car should feel in a game.
The grin i have when playing with an hyper car in DC is something that never happened to me in GT.
Doing time trials in a stormy weather, taking blind turns at 200 kmh, the car that slides and kicks with all its power while i'm trying to keep it on the tarmac, just magnificent.

DC to me has been a gaming revelation of my own expectations.

I dunno if the sentence up there makes sense, but yeah, great game.

This has always been the problem with the GT series. Although the driving model and physics are great the actual racing feels sterile and has no excitement or thrills due to the very poor AI. Really hoping they overhaul the whole game before GT7 although if there is no Logitech support I may give it a miss.

Auctopus

Hopefully going to have some time to set/beat some Challenges on Monday. I've been trying my best to have a crack at some of the latest ones but don't have enough time to really try my best at them.

Practice, consistency and determination is what sets times apart in Driveclub. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when Bloodborne releases, I might be a little quieter on the track ;-;

Putty

Hopefully going to have some time to set/beat some Challenges on Monday. I've been trying my best to have a crack at some of the latest ones but don't have enough time to really try my best at them.

Practice, consistency and determination is what sets times apart in Driveclub. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when Bloodborne releases, I might be a little quieter on the track ;-;

Add time to that list.

I bought this the other week when it was on sale, and tried it briefly but wasn't too impressed.

Gave it a proper go today and absolutely loved it.

Can see this being a real time sink.

Hojaho

Vagabone ! You're too fast man. :(
That challenge made me love the Ariel Atom though, and Lake Shoji became my favorite track !

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Really love this game. Right now I just like choosing the fastest car, the simplest track, time lapse x60 and dynamic weather and....go!

It's got me playing the PS4 again for the first time since I burned out on Destiny in October.

Gen X

Yo, that downhill track that's flooded in the Elements tour is so incredible. Beautifully done!

And that new Norway track in the Elements Championship (First track?) is amazing. Graphically with all the weather settings they've used looks outstanding.

PepperedHam

Ever loving fuck, that Punching Above Your Weight event has been the thorn in my side since day one of this game. I'm going back to gain stars I missed on my first go around and I still cannot get first place or the lap time completed.

Top Bottom