• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Got 405/405 myself yesterday, I feel bonnet cam suits me best.

Have Evolution/Rushy said anything about expanding on the driver levels or will level 50 be the maximum forever?

Rushy was asking on here a bit back what people's thoughts were on the best way to handle the level cap - there were several suggestions (CoD style prestige, raise the level with livery rewards) but it hasn't been confirmed what they plan to do yet.

psychotron

Correction, it's been extended by a month to July due to the launch problems and subsequent November free DLC compensation :)

You'll end up paying 3 times as much as the price of the season pass buying them all separately.

Just bought the season pass myself after buying all the DLC so far. Figure it'll even out.

How many of you are playing with a wheel? Mine is on the way -- just curious to see what others prefer playing with.

What wheel have you gone for? All my club are on DS4's, 1 guy bought a T80 but decided it would take to much to learn to use it and sent it back. I know Denur & Danowat use a wheel but not too sure about many others.

Tommi84

just curious to see what others prefer playing with.

I'd prefer to play with my Logitech GT wheel, but Sony decided to screw me over and not implement/request support for this wheel and I won't spend ~500$ or whatever the price is for Thrustmaster T300RS

sneaky77

I don't know how you fix the online mp but right now is just really frustrating.. accidental hits sure.. but is just blah.. and what is the purpose of red vs blue? is not like anyone actually respects that or cares..

I don't know how you fix the online mp but right now is just really frustrating.. accidental hits sure.. but is just blah.. and what is the purpose of red vs blue? is not like anyone actually respects that or cares..

Well I guess ideally if you were in a 6 person session it would put you all on the same "team"...but yeah when everyone is playing individually and just wants to be 1st it ends up being irrelevant.

sneaky77

Does anyone have trouble joining parties or loading their friends list after playing driveclub? I have noticed that recently.. after I been playing DC, it seems it takes forever to load or join parties, unless I reboot the ps4

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Had a lot of issues with the leaderboards and on track challenges, first time in about a month. Anyone else have any issues about 8-9hrs ago?

thectzn

Neo Member
What wheel have you gone for? All my club are on DS4's, 1 guy bought a T80 but decided it would take to much to learn to use it and sent it back. I know Denur & Danowat use a wheel but not too sure about many others.

I ended up picking up a T100 for DC and pCARS. Haven't had a wheel since early 2002 so I'm excited to feel the "immersion" factor, for what it's worth. Not a huge sim nut so there wasn't a need for me to shell out $400+ for a wheel.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
In DC, many challenges required to open up the next chunk of content are less about driving and more about fighting and overcoming things that have nothing to do with driving.

What do you mean? Beating the Average speed for a star or one of those scoring Challenges? They're all to do with driving. Taking the optimal/fastest line through corners, learning to maintain speed, they all help with driving more efficiently but if you drive differently then maybe they do come across as a hindrance.

Lunar FC

Been racing online more that ive got all the stars, and i keep getting put in races where one of the drivers is basically a stuttering ghost car the entire race. Anybody else ever seen this?

Ted

I've heard of issues when twitch streaming or with BT infinity, MP is pretty reliable for me with only the odd disconnection over 2-3 hours of play.

I don't stream but I am on Infinity. The router is not a BT Hub though.

I will persevere!

Well I guess ideally if you were in a 6 person session it would put you all on the same "team"...but yeah when everyone is playing individually and just wants to be 1st it ends up being irrelevant.

It's a little worse than irrelevant, it's a distraction.

In an ideal world I can see the thinking...

"That was a good clean race, xxxc0re-sn1p3rxxx watched my back and was a great drafting partner, I'll invite that young lady to my club."

But let's be honest, that's not what xxxc0re-sn1p3rxxx is really going to play like in most pub races is it.

I'm a clean, polite driver. I'm not going to bump a team mate making a risky pass so I'll sit behind another member of my team who is a little slower until there is a safe spot to pass. If they then ram me off the road I've lost time from that punt and also from waiting in the first place! Nice guys finish last and all that.

It feels a little like if there is even one bad apple on the team you're going to be dodging friendly fire and I think this makes a lot of other people just go "sod it, I'll probably get rammed so might as well get in there first".

I wonder if it would better to RNG whether it will be a team race or not with a party/no party registration logic being a significant attribute to the balance. Obviously there would need to be an additional step in the match-making that essentially says are there any users in [in-game] parties signed up to this event, if yes, try to match to another party and make that a team race.

Otherwise, maybe just enhance the penalty system in the race itself to account for unwanted hot blue on blue action (but of course this comes with potential minefield of who hit who how logic).

Game design eh, pretty tough shit!

I don't envy you, Evo folks. Just keep on keeping on.

Auctopus

Been racing online more that ive got all the stars, and i keep getting put in races where one of the drivers is basically a stuttering ghost car the entire race. Anybody else ever seen this?

Yep, happens every now and then. I just assume the other player has a bad connection, the idea of making them a ghost is a great one.

Yeah you often see ghost cars where someone's network connection is suffering packet loss (the car tends to jump around a fair bit too) - worst is when is goes solid in front of you, causes a crash then carries on oblivious tho that is pretty rare.

You also see delayed starts which then reshuffle the leaderboard at the end - I've finished behind 2 cars but finished first on the board. This is because the leaderboards actually work off the time taken to finish so if your car doesn't set off when everyone else does you aren't being unfairly punished (tho you do have the issue of fighting through the pack).

Lunar FC

Yeah you often see ghost cars where someone's network connection is suffering packet loss (the car tends to jump around a fair bit too) - worst is when is goes solid in front of you, causes a crash then carries on oblivious tho that is pretty rare.

You also see delayed starts which then reshuffle the leaderboard at the end - I've finished behind 2 cars but finished first on the board. This is because the leaderboards actually work off the time taken to finish so if your car doesn't set off when everyone else does you aren't being unfairly punished (tho you do have the issue of fighting through the pack).

Yeah, it's just fustrating trying to catch somebody whose car is all over the place and cant' even be touched. Also I can't tell if it's the game or my connection but getting into races has been a pain lately. Aaaand just got kicked from a race when i was leading by 5 seconds. Time to take a break i think.

Finally hit Lv35... Got the P1 :D Took me a long time but probably spend 75% of my time doing time trials/challenges. Lv35 is about.... 5.5m Fame I guess and I think about 1m is from time trials, and another 0.5m from Challenges so far. I'm so addicted to time trials and challenges lol

Speaking of which, Lake Shoji (Reverse) in Japan is such a good time trial track. My favorite has been Los Pelambras (Reverse) in Chile but Lake Shoji (definitely in Reverse) has such a great cornering chain, and the first blind tunnel exit (if you brake into the corner you'll get pulled into oversteer so easily because of the elevation change) is a great barrier of entry haha

I like when all the top times are Henessy Venom GTs 10-15% than Renault Twin'Runs because they usually have a few segments to really put power to the track out of corners (which is where the Venom usually pulls away in time). A lot of tracks the top 250 dry times barely have a few seconds between either car but some others there's a clear advantage to either.

That aside... aside... I'm loving the new tracks. The switchbacks in Nakasendo are a blast, and I love that bottom section near the water where the road pavement ends but there's a concrete strip off to the side (especially when you're powering through that corner in the Venom and just your rears are almost breaking into a slide but catching grip on the strip :p The open pavement Gosnodaira is a blast, too.

Finally hit Lv35... Got the P1 :D Took me a long time but probably spend 75% of my time doing time trials/challenges. Lv35 is about.... 5.5m Fame I guess and I think about 1m is from time trials, and another 0.5m from Challenges so far. I'm so addicted to time trials and challenges lol

Speaking of which, Lake Shoji (Reverse) in Japan is such a good time trial track. My favorite has been Los Pelambras (Reverse) in Chile but Lake Shoji (definitely in Reverse) has such a great cornering chain, and the first blind tunnel exit (if you brake into the corner you'll get pulled into oversteer so easily because of the elevation change) is a great barrier of entry haha

I like when all the top times are Henessy Venom GTs 10-15% than Renault Twin'Runs because they usually have a few segments to really put power to the track out of corners (which is where the Venom usually pulls away in time). A lot of tracks the top 250 dry times barely have a few seconds between either car but some others there's a clear advantage to either.

That aside... aside... I'm loving the new tracks. The switchbacks in Nakasendo are a blast, and I love that bottom section near the water where the road pavement ends but there's a concrete strip off to the side (especially when you're powering through that corner in the Venom and just your rears are almost breaking into a slide but catching grip on the strip :p The open pavement Gosnodaira is a blast, too.

I also just hit 35 and got the P1 last night! :D

Only have 120 stars in main tour and haven't touched any of the DLC despite having season pass. Damn challenges!

lordxar

Anyone done the venom hot lap 2 while not using a chase cam?

I just cant see the track. I know that its fashionable to defend this game but they really got the rain (and snow for that matter, but in a different way) wrong and it is especially noticeable at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7XPOgpKfwk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbGIFbCkTuA

Those are two clips of night racing in moderate to extreme rain. Though the extreme rain video is of horrible quality, you can see that rain acts more like a fog, not long shiny strings that materialize a few meters above and in front then aim for you trying block your vision. And in the le mans video you can't even see the rain at all really.

Actually here is a clearer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvN0EzEacU

The rain here is transparent, almost as if it were made of something like water and not metallic strings. Crazy.

Different lighting does different things. Highway driving with high pressure sodium lights is very different than highway with no lighting which is very different than city driving with its nuances. I've had the great fortune, lol, to drive in horrendous downpours and white out snow. Not racing mind you but just out travelling. To me, the glare off water in the corners and the rain and snow fall really is pretty damn close to what I've actually driven in. This is a game though so certain aspects are not life and simply won't be but the game does a good approximation of these things. Same with the cars and handling and scenery. Instead of worrying about what its not, I think most of us lust enjoy it for what it is.

Cudder

I just purchased the season pass, why are redline and elements still locked? There are even cars that are locked saying I need to buy them from the store?

Anyone done the venom hot lap 2 while not using a chase cam?

I just cant see the track. I know that its fashionable to defend this game but they really got the rain (and snow for that matter, but in a different way) wrong and it is especially noticeable at night.
Don't think I've really done that one but I find it useful to use the dash cam in weather. I prefer the License Plate Cam or whatever but it's so hard to use that in heavy rain because of how water accumulates on the camera. But with the Dash Cam, the window wipers help a lot to clear the FOV, and of course the FOV is still fairly large (vs the cockpit cam).

I can't make times in chase cams... I use it for fun but can't stand it for lap times haha

I also just hit 35 and got the P1 last night! :D

Only have 120 stars in main tour and haven't touched any of the DLC despite having season pass. Damn challenges!
Haha me too just checked 113 stars only for main tour, and just 11 total for the other tours combined. I mostly just do trials and challenges :p

bombshell

I just purchased the season pass, why are redline and elements still locked? There are even cars that are locked saying I need to buy them from the store?

Did you "purchase" for free all the individual DLC items after you bought the season pass? You don't get the season pass items automatically, they are just made free.

viveks86

Back after a week on the east coast. Came back to see it rain challenges. And a lot of my drift scores were toppled without a chance to attempt again :/

But I see a lot of people posting kickass scores now. Competition is getting fierce! Love it!

Apeboy

What do you mean? Beating the Average speed for a star or one of those scoring Challenges? They're all to do with driving. Taking the optimal/fastest line through corners, learning to maintain speed, they all help with driving more efficiently but if you drive differently then maybe they do come across as a hindrance.

For time trials you are absolutely right.

For races the placement and point total make absolute sense.

Lap times for races don't. Too much going on forcing you to try and make the time which more times than not means demolition derby.

Back after a week on the east coast. Came back to see it rain challenges. And a lot of my drift scores were toppled without a chance to attempt again :/

But I see a lot of people posting kickass scores now. Competition is getting fierce! Love it!
Especially club challenges... A lot of my solo Challenges at Lv35 still just get 5-6 participants but I've had a lot of 10+ super active Club challenges, and you'll see the same 4-6 clubs putting in dozens of attempts, resulting in the top 5 or even more times all being within a couple seconds of one another and all seemingly perfect at a glance haha.

It's pretty satisfying to check a Challenge a few days in and see 10+ particpants and 100+ attempts, and you're seemingly 'great' time now in #6 or something :p so addicting to try 'reclaim your title' ... almost like, as the challenge creator, it's your duty to try retake the #1 spot lol so much fun

The option to remove the crowd and the flags is the best patch implementation bar the weather the Evolution have done yet. It is a small thing but makes the game far more pleasing to play.

lordxar

I'm sweating. Just knocked out my last two stars on the Norwegian Lightweight! Drafted the lead Atom and hit like 166 in the Mono...was exhilarating! 209 stars on the main tour now.

AsfaeksBR

Just passed the Maserati GranTurismo MC sprint race, the first one after you unlock it.
That speed, That sound, That interior with the green lights...

cNCZlGd.gif

Gacha-pin

I want evo to remove the team race mode from the mp.

I won total 8 or 9 my challenges in this weekend but no unbeatable trophy... :(
It this trophy glitched?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The game seems really cool, but I really can't seem to get a feel for the handling. I wish there was some kind of tutorial system or license system to this. Anyone have any tips or videos for learning how to drive in Driveclub? I just want to stop blasting into walls all of the time.

The game seems really cool, but I really can't seem to get a feel for the handling. I wish there was some kind of tutorial system or license system to this. Anyone have any tips or videos for learning how to drive in Driveclub? I just want to stop blasting into walls all of the time.

Are you paying attention the green, yellow, and red flags? They are brake indicators. Start braking the moment you hit the first flag, and try to stick to the outside edge of a turn. So if you have a right-hand turn coming up, stick to the left side of the track - brake - then turn in, hit the apex, and come out of the turn as straight as possible.

Corner_three_apex.gif

If you don't get your racing lines right, the entire game will be much more difficult than it needs to be.

psychotron

Are you paying attention the green, yellow, and red flags? They are brake indicators. Start braking the moment you hit the first flag, and try to stick to the outside edge of a turn. So if you have a right-hand turn coming up, stick to the left side of the track - brake - then turn in, hit the apex, and come out of the turn as straight as possible.

Corner_three_apex.gif

If you don't get your racing lines right, the entire game will be much more difficult than it needs to be.

Fantastic advice.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Corner_three_apex.gif

Thanks. I had no idea about any of this stuff. I'll give it a go.

benzy

The option to remove the crowd and the flags is the best patch implementation bar the weather the Evolution have done yet. It is a small thing but makes the game far more pleasing to play.

Yeah, it's a really great addition. Makes the tracks feel a bit more like actual street racing and less artificial, not to mention the extra gameplay challenge it brings.

thectzn

Neo Member
Perfect advice the last few posts. Entering an apex at just the right time/speed will make improve your driving and lap times tremendously.

MMaRsu

Yeah, it's a really great addition. Makes the tracks feel a bit more like actual street racing and less artificial, not to mention the extra gameplay challenge it brings.

Hell yeah im a hige fan of removing all flags :D. Its truly a nice touch

Corner_three_apex.gif

All I would add is that the braking point will vary depending on the car and entry speed but this is a good place to start - the rest will come as your car and track knowledge improves.

nib95

Banned
All I would add is that the braking point will vary depending on the car and entry speed but this is a good place to start - the rest will come as your car and track knowledge improves.

Pretty much. Slower cars you can take the vast majority of Greens and Yellows flat out, even some Reds with just a lift of the throttle. But with the Hyper cars, sometimes even some yellows I find you have to brake fairly hard for. Heck greens too lol. There's a couple in Atlanterhavsvegen that in the rain especially, can be deceptively tricky.

Ted

I will persevere!

Well I did. I thought I'd hit it lucky when I got into the first MP time trial I tried but alas it went downhill from there. Eleven attempts in a row, eleven lobby joins, eleven failed to connect to players errors, thirty five minute I won't see again.

Oh well.

I did a few more tour events to at least get some track time and got enough stars to unlock the pro level event which I'll do tomorrow if I can't get online. After levelling up a bit I went to check out the new club unlocks and it wouldn't load so I thought fuck it, one more try to get online for a race. I should have known better. It seems the not loading unlock screen had caused a more general UI error:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nc-ZGGI-nak

Grr.

Still, Ruf is nice.

16342305726_838c4bf510.jpg

BraXzy

1) Press circle to pull your handbrake. Although the drifting in this game is more 'controlled power-sliding' than it is drifting. TCS is still enabled by default and can't be turned off. Shifting down mid-drift will help to continue your drift.

2) Two tour packs per month until June 2015. When all is released I believe there will be four times as much content as there is in the base game.

I should probably try manual driving then if I want to drift better too? I'm not a big racing game player so I'm pretty amateur at it.

Are tour packs worth the money?

Also.. what'd be my best bet to find an open GAF club? Kinda sucks that they are so small. I thought they'd be like 1000 members per club :3

Top Bottom