• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Odrion

Banned
just going to jump back in here to say once again fuck that Elements expansion.

I'm just too frazzled right now to be specific, but there's one event there where on the second track it starts at night, and it's kinda dawn at the end. It's probably the most impressive moment in Driveclub so far, the darkness obscuring shit like that bridge that'll flip you. And then at the final lap where I'm just white knuckling it the game decides to become beautiful.

Anyways, last second before the finish line an AI passed me and put me in 3rd, making me miss the 1st place star medal and caused me to complete the event before I could restart the course.

urgh urgh

I'm just too frazzled right now to be specific, but there's one event there where on the second track it starts at night, and it's kinda dawn at the end. It's probably the most impressive moment in Driveclub so far, the darkness obscuring shit like that bridge that'll flip you. And then at the final lap where I'm just white knuckling it the game decides to become beautiful.

Anyways, last second before the finish line an AI passed me and put me in 3rd, making me miss the 1st place star medal and caused me to complete the event before I could restart the course.

urgh urgh
Dayumm!!! That sucks

xrnzaaas

Yup it's fantastic. I love the menu music.

Yeah Driveclub has a great ost. Make sure to check out Forza games OST's (especially 3, 4 and Horizon 1) if you haven't done that already - they also have some awesome tunes (main series has an original score, Horizon has licensed tracks).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

urgh urgh

You mean this track? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFM0VxRbHXw

nasanu

Banned
Anyone done the venom hot lap 2 while not using a chase cam?

I just cant see the track. I know that its fashionable to defend this game but they really got the rain (and snow for that matter, but in a different way) wrong and it is especially noticeable at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7XPOgpKfwk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbGIFbCkTuA

Those are two clips of night racing in moderate to extreme rain. Though the extreme rain video is of horrible quality, you can see that rain acts more like a fog, not long shiny strings that materialize a few meters above and in front then aim for you trying block your vision. And in the le mans video you can't even see the rain at all really.

Actually here is a clearer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvN0EzEacU

The rain here is transparent, almost as if it were made of something like water and not metallic strings. Crazy.

Odrion

Banned

Yup.

It's the best race I've played in Driveclub, probably will be the most memorable racing thing I've done in a long, long time.

But fuck that race. Fuck it into the sun and immolate.

Just the way Evolution handles lighting (and in Elements, weather) is really impressive and I feel that it sadly went unnoticed for critics. The small things, like having the sun hit your eyes right at a S turn or having the night obscure the elevation of the track. Not to mention how they'll use it to just make the climax of a race all the more majestic, a perfect sunset at a finish line or a sunrise after three laps in the dark during a rainstorm. It makes other racers feel somewhat shallow and static in comparison.

Finally unlocked the McLaren P1.

Soooooo good. I love it.

ibxRkQ3smKPDXh.jpg

iPp3rNmGkhvpx.jpg

ibutxC2WxyRyEv.jpg

imzQahNRZqjrb.jpg

I have no idea WTF I am doing with KERS and DRS though. I am just driving the car like normal lol

nasanu

Banned
I did it in Hood view or windshield view (can't remember). I just can't play in chase cam at all.

Manage to get the top time? Its impossible for me. No problem if I could see. Just passing the event is fine, but I am just guessing for most turns putting in a real run is not possible.

nasanu

Banned
Anyone could explain KERS and DRS like I'm a caveman?

KERS - Makes your engine more powerful but you only have a limited amount to use.
DRS - Makes you faster in a straight line and is unlimited but also makes the rear of the car more slippery and harder to control. Use on straights only.

Hexagonal

Banned
Anyone could explain KERS and DRS like I'm a caveman?

KERS is your standard Nitro Boost, except it powers your front wheels (=more grip on wet conditions) and it's recharged by braking.
DRS (aka moving spoiler): if it's turned off your car will handle better but won't go faster on straight roads. If it's on, it will go faster on straight roads but will feel tail-happy on corners. Fortunately, DRS turns off everytime you slam the brakes.

EDIT: A -bit- late haha

nasanu

Banned
(=more grip on wet conditions

Less grip. Even if the front wheels are doing nothing, making them drive will reduce their ability to grip.

And KERS is a general technology that recovers and then adds power, it does not necessarily go to the front wheels.

So I've decided that cockpit view in a racing game is just dumb.

I know people like it because they think it's more realistic and it makes them feel more like they are in the action actually inside a car on the track.

But I don't think cockpit view is nearly good enough at that. With only a single monitor you only have a very limited view, and aren't using your full peripheral vision. You can't be immersed in an experience that is only in front of you, that isn't surrounding you. But even more than that, even if you have 3huge widescreen monitors and the best steering wheel and pedals, you still don't have an actual car around you with a mechanical connection behind that clutch pedal and underneath that gear shifter, you don't have 3000 pounds of car around you to feel through your butt and in your gut as you go around that turn. So you're not really simulating much of anything.

So yeah, in car view might take you to 25% of the real thing over like 15% of the real thing in chase cam view. But to get that extra 10% immersion you're giving up a chance to actually see the car you're in. Not worth it.

Hojaho

Manage to get the top time? Its impossible for me. No problem if I could see. Just passing the event is fine, but I am just guessing for most turns putting in a real run is not possible.

Yep. It was the very last event I did to complete the current 405 stars. I was dreading it, but it actually took roughly 30 minutes to get 3 stars, was way easier than I thought. My time is barely under 1:20 though, never tried again since then.
Did you manage to get 3 stars on the vanilla Venom Hot Lap ? I spent way more time on it, I suppose it made me learn the track almost by heart.

So yeah, in car view might take you to 25% of the real thing over like 15% of the real thing in chase cam view. But to get that extra 10% immersion you're giving up a chance to actually see the car you're in. Not worth it.

Props to people who can play in chase cam, I find it unplayable, but it's the case for me in any racing game.

nasanu

Banned
Did you manage to get 3 stars on the vanilla Venom Hot Lap ? I spent way more time on it, I suppose it made me learn the track almost by heart.

Yeah that was pretty easy. The speed is no problem, trying to see the corner is. Most of the time I go flying off the track somewhere or brake way too early because I am just guessing.

I know people like it because they think it's more realistic and it makes them feel more like they are in the action actually inside a car on the track.

But I don't think cockpit view is nearly good enough at that. With only a single monitor you only have a very limited view, and aren't using your full peripheral vision. You can't be immersed in an experience that is only in front of you, that isn't surrounding you. But even more than that, even if you have 3huge widescreen monitors and the best steering wheel and pedals, you still don't have an actual car around you with a mechanical connection behind that clutch pedal and underneath that gear shifter, you don't have 3000 pounds of car around you to feel through your butt and in your gut as you go around that turn. So you're not really simulating much of anything.

Lmao, what? Where are you getting these numbers from? And why would a magical floating camera that follows your car only be 10% less realistic than cockpit view? That's a strange comment.

Oh, and hood-cam >>> everything else. The sound of the car is too suppressed in cockpit view for me. I like the improved sound and visibility that hood-cam offers.

Anyone done the venom hot lap 2 while not using a chase cam?

I just cant see the track. I know that its fashionable to defend this game but they really got the rain (and snow for that matter, but in a different way) wrong and it is especially noticeable at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7XPOgpKfwk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbGIFbCkTuA

Those are two clips of night racing in moderate to extreme rain. Though the extreme rain video is of horrible quality, you can see that rain acts more like a fog, not long shiny strings that materialize a few meters above and in front then aim for you trying block your vision. And in the le mans video you can't even see the rain at all really.

Actually here is a clearer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvN0EzEacU

The rain here is transparent, almost as if it were made of something like water and not metallic strings. Crazy.
That's not quite right. Water should not be transparent for the same reason the sea is blue. Water will reflect back. Car headlights are intense enough to give water droplets a white tint, especially when you add motion.

And you can see as much here http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/headlights_in_rain.jpg

Or you can go and stand side on to your car when it is dull and raining heavily with your lights on full beam and see that for yourself.

I don't follow endurance racing but from the very little I've seen of it, it didn't appear to me that most teams use standard lights.

Now whilst they shouldn't be transparent, should they be as white as they are? I'm not so sure, and personally yes I would like the alpha levels reduced a bit so they are less bright.

Auctopus

urgh urgh

Just wait until the last race of the Elements Trophy. The weather is insane.

Ted

Is online (MP events) fixed for most people and I'm just an exception?

15740591214_15dd9df170.jpg

The above image is a visual representation of how I felt trying to get online last night/this morning.

I'd find an event I want to do on a course I have done before, register for the event, wait for the countdown, load into the lobby and see the player list, get a connecting to players message, then I'm dumped out unceremoniously with a "Failed to join the game. Cannot connect to other players" error message.

On average three out of four race events I tried last night were like this right from 2200 all the way through to 0300 GMT. The online time trial events seem a little more reliable and about half I registered for I managed to actually join.

It's so frustrating if you're a new player, I only know a few cars and tracks and don't want to ruin anyone elses race but I just want to race online. The find an event - get booted - find an event loop feels like it takes forever when you have a limited choice from the event browser.

Maybe it's me? I am on a newly installed, relatively fast, connection, with the PS4 wired and in the DMZ. Is there anything else I can do? For reference, other PS4 online games are fine.

Putty

That's not quite right. Water should not be transparent for the same reason the sea is blue. Water will reflect back. Car headlights are intense enough to give water droplets a white tint, especially when you add motion.

And you can see as much here http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/headlights_in_rain.jpg

Or you can go and stand side on to your car when it is dull and raining heavily with your lights on full beam and see that for yourself.

I don't follow endurance racing but from the very little I've seen of it, it didn't appear to me that most teams use standard lights.

Now whilst they shouldn't be transparent, should they be as white as they are? I'm not so sure, and personally yes I would like the alpha levels reduced a bit so they are less bright.

This is my only gripe with weather, my ONLY, reduce the whiteness.

UV-6

Just bought the game. Love it, I'll probably be playing this for a while. Are there any GAF clubs open I can join?

Edit: Nevermind

I don't have any problem with the view in driver cam (cockpit refers to aircraft just for reference) it is slightly restricted but the feel for the car greatly improves. In bumper and bonnet cam all cars feel back heavy, bumper more so than the bonnet, you are also missing wing mirrors in other views so you have to do more guess work on watching the other racers if you are going to be defensive or want a clean lap. With the chase cam you can't look through corners in the same way and place the car precisely. Cars like the Lotus Exige, Arial Atom and X-Bow are far more enjoyable in the driver cam as you can catch the back end much quicker than in the other views and you can almost feel when too much power is being delivered into the road rather than momentum. Most driving games feel like they have been setup around the driver cam and DC's handling model shines most in the driver and bonnet cam. I'd be surprised if any of the top times are done in the chase cam.

Thanks for the tips. It feels harder than anything I've encountered while climbing up to the legend events.

I think it's the mostly the car. I've been using mostly lighter cars when possible.

nasanu

Banned
That's not quite right. Water should not be transparent for the same reason the sea is blue.

Not quite. Most of the reason why the sea is blue is due to Rayleigh scattering in the atmosphere, the rest mainly to a slight tendency of water to absorb the red spectrum more than blue. But both these effects are only seen in large volumes or over vast distances, not in rain drops.

However I agree with what you meant, that water will always refract and this rain shouldn't be totally transparent. But not like in the pic you posted, that was not a natural image of rain. Even the heaviest rain is easier to see through (ignoring the rain on the windshield) than in DC and its never glowing white streaks.

Is online (MP events) fixed for most people and I'm just an exception?

15740591214_15dd9df170.jpg

The above image is a visual representation of how I felt trying to get online last night/this morning.

I'd find an event I want to do on a course I have done before, register for the event, wait for the countdown, load into the lobby and see the player list, get a connecting to players message, then I'm dumped out unceremoniously with a "Failed to join the game. Cannot connect to other players" error message.

On average three out of four race events I tried last night were like this right from 2200 all the way through to 0300 GMT. The online time trial events seem a little more reliable and about half I registered for I managed to actually join.

It's so frustrating if you're a new player, I only know a few cars and tracks and don't want to ruin anyone elses race but I just want to race online. The find an event - get booted - find an event loop feels like it takes forever when you have a limited choice from the event browser.

Maybe it's me? I am on a newly installed, relatively fast, connection, with the PS4 wired and in the DMZ. Is there anything else I can do? For reference, other PS4 online games are fine.

I've heard of issues when twitch streaming or with BT infinity, MP is pretty reliable for me with only the odd disconnection over 2-3 hours of play.

Sirenty

Whooo, just got 405/405! I have to say, that is one of the best feeling gaming accomplishments I've had.

I got 1:16.1 on the venom hot lap so many times I was starting to wonder if I'm just getting old (38) and that's the best I can do. But this morning, I got a 1:15.998 within a couple tries and then nailed the venom hot lap 2 right after. Went back to the first one and quickly got a 1:15.4. What a rush!

Holy shit, the Mazzanti Evantra event in the Elements tour was tough. That thing is so tail-happy. It's a lot of fun to drive, though, controlled power-slides ftw.

Apeboy

Looking for more feedback :)

If you've played the new Multiplayer Time Trial we'd like to what you do and don't like about it, and what you would change.

B8Cn5zJIgAA-rSm.jpg

Please keep the feedback coming in all areas, we're doing our best to absorb as much of it as possible.

Haven't spent much time online so can't comment on the MP time trial. I have spent much time in the rest of though so here is some feedback.

I think DC makes things difficult for the sake of being difficult. It seems the theoretical fastest time from point A to B is what is required to move forward. Sounds good but that doesn't happen in any real world race, why should it happen here. Every race is different, weather, drivers, mistakes, accidents etc happen. Continually having to retrace the same track over and over and over again, even if I come in first place 10 times in a row after having being pitted by a AI car or I didn't hit every apex just right just becomes less challenging and more frustrating.

I enjoy a good driving challenge. What I don't enjoy is the frustration of trying to find the right DC option settings to overcome the driving challenges. I'm no purist but I think a driving game should be balanced (ex. controller, situational awareness limitations etc taken into consideration) for a driver sitting in the car. Everything else should orbit around that. In DC, many challenges required to open up the next chunk of content are less about driving and more about fighting and overcoming things that have nothing to do with driving.

Oh, and helmets. :p

ballerusk

Got 405/405 myself yesterday, I feel bonnet cam suits me best.

Have Evolution/Rushy said anything about expanding on the driver levels or will level 50 be the maximum forever?

AsfaeksBR

1. How do I drift properly?
2. What comes in the Season Pass, and are there any DLC left to come out?

Really liking the game, I'm trying to "collect" all the stars just because how fun it is, something I never do in other games.

1. How do I drift properly?
2. What comes in the Season Pass, and are there any DLC left to come out?

Really liking the game, I'm trying to "collect" all the stars just because how fun it is, something I never do in other games.

1) Press circle to pull your handbrake. Although the drifting in this game is more 'controlled power-sliding' than it is drifting. TCS is still enabled by default and can't be turned off. Shifting down mid-drift will help to continue your drift.

2) Two tour packs per month until June 2015. When all is released I believe there will be four times as much content as there is in the base game.

AsfaeksBR

1) Press circle to pull your handbrake. Although the drifting in this game is more 'controlled power-sliding' than it is drifting. TCS is still enabled by default and can't be turned off. Shifting down mid-drift will help to continue your drift.

2) Two tour packs per month until June 2015. When all is released I believe there will be four times as much content as there is in the base game.

1) Circle + Shift down + Accelerating did the trick. Thanks.

2) Amazing! Already bought two dlc's with the game, só I think I'll keep buying them separately.

Dude, send me the challenge direct...

Just checked and you've already had it so can't send it again - Lake Shoiji Ariel Atom.

I've sent it on to anyone else who wasn't on my friends list at the time of the initial challenge.

Hojaho :- 70 attempts! That's determination for ya :)

bombshell

Correction, it's been extended by a month to July due to the launch problems and subsequent November free DLC compensation :)

1) Circle + Shift down + Accelerating did the trick. Thanks.

2) Amazing! Already bought two dlc's with the game, só I think I'll keep buying them separately.

You'll end up paying 3 times as much as the price of the season pass buying them all separately.

Top Bottom