• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Just got this game and I think I need help with the fundamentals.

I am used to arcade racing games and this is a little too sim for me. How exactly do I need to be driving? i.e. when I have to turn, should I let up on the gas and use the break, or stay on the gas and tap the handbreak, or should I just let off the gas for a second? What should I do for a wide turn vs. a sharp turn?

I just keep hitting the walls and it's not fun :|

Just got this game and I think I need help with the fundamentals.

I am used to arcade racing games and this is a little too sim for me. How exactly do I need to be driving? i.e. when I have to turn, should I let up on the gas and use the break, or stay on the gas and tap the handbreak, or should I just let off the gas for a second? What should I do for a wide turn vs. a sharp turn?

I just keep hitting the walls and it's not fun :|

Ideally you don't want to brake while turning, though there's situations where you can.

What you want to do is move to the outside of the track from the corner, then brake hard as you approach it. Let go of the brake and turn into the corner, slowly on the gas and then as you straighten out then hammer that acceleration.

This is just the basic principle of cornering and you'll have to get a feel for each car's handling as well as the track in terms of knowing how soon to brake.

chunk3rvd

Just picked this up and enjoying what I've played but could do with some help. This is going to seem like a REALLY stupid question but..... how do you play this? Let me explain properly first. I've only ever really got into arcade racers. Whenever I've tried to get into more serious driving sims like this I play them exactly like Ridge Racer - foot on the gas at all times and just slam my foot (finger) on the brakes as I turn into each corner only here I don't pull off a sweet power slide, I usually just slam into a wall :( I also don't drive IRL so maybe that affects my judgement of how I should handle a car?

Does anyone have any tips so I can git gud. I can win races occasionally but I can't get anywhere close to the top lap times needed for stars in hot laps. My wheels sound like they're spinning on every corner. How should I be approaching corners? Slow right down and turn into them without my fingers on the gas or brake? Should I just be half pressing and letting off the gas slightly? Also, how should I be drifting - brake or handbrake?

I'm sure none of you will want me in your Driveclub now that you know how inept I am haha. But if any of you can offer a driving sim noob a few tips it would be appreciated because I'm liking what I see and I would like to get better at this

Just picked this up and enjoying what I've played but could do with some help. This is going to seem like a REALLY stupid question but..... how do you play this? Let me explain properly first. I've only ever really got into arcade racers. Whenever I've tried to get into more serious driving sims like this I play them exactly like Ridge Racer - foot on the gas at all times and just slam my foot (finger) on the brakes as I turn into each corner only here I don't pull off a sweet power slide, I usually just slam into a wall :( I also don't drive IRL so maybe that affects my judgement of how I should handle a car?

Does anyone have any tips so I can git gud. I can win races occasionally but I can't get anywhere close to the top lap times needed for stars in hot laps. My wheels sound like they're spinning on every corner. How should I be approaching corners? Slow right down and turn into them without my fingers on the gas or brake? Should I just be half pressing and letting off the gas slightly? Also, how should I be drifting - brake or handbrake?

I'm sure none of you will want me in your Driveclub now that you know how inept I am haha. But if any of you can offer a driving sim noob a few tips it would be appreciated because I'm liking what I see and I would like to get better at this

Bananafactory posted some very good advice a few posts above. All I can add is to spend a bit of time with the hot hatch cars in time trial just to get used to braking before a corner and smoothly turning through before getting on the accelerator.

Just remember you have to go slow to go fast. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. The less tyre squeal the more grip you have through the corner and this will make getting round easier.

These things take practise. I'm just glad I spent years in the GT series. Their lessons are a good way to learn

Bananafactory posted some very good advice a few posts above. All I can add is to spend a bit of time with the hot hatch cars in time trial just to get used to braking before a corner and smoothly turning through before getting on the accelerator.

Just remember you have to go slow to go fast. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. The less tyre squeal the more grip you have through the corner and this will make getting round easier.

These things take practise. I'm just glad I spent years in the GT series. Their lessons are a good way to learn

Yup this is very important. There's some times where brief squeal is acceptable if youre cutting a chicane or something but for normal corners you want a really smooth enter and exit and work on keeping that grip the whole time through.

This really became apparent to me in the Venom Hot Lap event, skidding around on that absolutely kills your time.

This is weird. I asked almost the exact same question as you a couple posts up! Glad I'm not the only one. I've got Ridge Racer in my blood and it's hard to shake it.

chunk3rvd

This is weird. I asked almost the exact same question as you a couple posts up! Glad I'm not the only one. I've got Ridge Racer in my blood and it's hard to shake it.

Sorry - will teach me to blind post without reading the thread. Will try and take that stuff into account and hopefully get better! :)

Sorry - will teach me to blind post without reading the thread. Will try and take that stuff into account and hopefully get better! :)

As a fellow new player, I will advise you to NOT create a custom race on a mountain in heavy precipitation in the middle of the night using a sports car. It was a disaster.

Bradf50

Thanks! I could've gone faster in that first sector so there's definite room for improvement there. Best of luck old sport.

Yeah theres plenty of room for improvement here and there around the track it's just stringing it all together that makes it frustrating! :D Very fun nonetheless, haha.

Was home late this evening, so no Driveclub time for me tonight :(. Tomorrow it is!

By the way you should send me over a friends request on PSN or visa versa. :)

As a fellow new player, I will advise you to NOT create a custom race on a mountain in heavy precipitation in the middle of the night using a sports car. It was a disaster.

Heh, as a seasoned player I also advise not to do that. But if you can learn to drive in that, everything else will be a piece of cake :p

Shaneus

Heh, as a seasoned player I also advise not to do that. But if you can learn to drive in that, everything else will be a piece of cake :p
Learned that with the Venom HL2 last night. I was avoiding it, but after two or three laps I was beginning to get the hang of it, and even on a lap I know I could've done way better on, was less than a second from 1:20.000. And that was only after 15 or so minutes.

lordxar

I rearranged everything and lost my desk in the process so mounting my wheel on a TV tray sucks ass. Ordered a wheel mount today and will be back racing this week I hope. I tried the controller and its fine but not the experience I'm looking for.

Zukuu

Banned
Just bought the game. Will start to play tomorrow with my t100 wheel along with my wheelstand on my comfy leather armchair.
wheel-stand-pro-for-thrustmaster-f458-f430-t100-t80-rgt-wheels-v2.jpg

Which DLC are worth it if I want more content? Are they all "5 cars, 11 events" and how many new tracks are included in those? Bundles?

Just bought the game. Will start to play tomorrow with my t100 wheel along with my wheelstand on my comfy leather armchair.

Which DLC are worth it if I want more content? Are they all "5 cars, 11 events" and how many new tracks are included in those? Bundles?

Tracks are 100% free for everyone, they aren't locked behind DLC.

Each DLC pack has tour events (45 stars per pack), liveries (skins), and 5 cars.

If you try the game and really love it I'd honestly just recommend grabbing the season pass, it's $25 and gets you everything.

Zukuu

Banned
Tracks are 100% free for everyone, they aren't locked behind DLC.

Each DLC pack has tour events (45 stars per pack), liveries (skins), and 5 cars.

If you try the game and really love it I'd honestly just recommend grabbing the season pass, it's $25 and gets you everything.
Cheers.

Great to know about the tracks and good on them. I think I will just buy only one DLC then, if it has a car I'm interested in. Maybe the standard selection already has a car I like, then I won't need to buy one anyway.

lordxar

That is the stand I ordered. How you like it?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
583/585. 1 star in the Dusk till Dawn (Place 3rd or Better) and 1 Star in the Downforce Championship (Place 1st overall). I was only 1 point of being equal with first place, but that Dusk till Dawn, I hate the RUF, my personal worst car in the game. Handles like a shopping cart.

God, I haven't played this in weeks. Maybe since early January? Just so much going on I can't find time to sink into this. I'm sure what little skills I had have atrophied into nothing by now…

Putty

God, I haven't played this in weeks. Maybe since early January? Just so much going on I can't find time to sink into this. I'm sure what little skills I had have atrophied into nothing by now…

You don't forget in a hurry. After a few laps it'll all come flooding back.

Cheers.

Great to know about the tracks and good on them. I think I will just buy only one DLC then, if it has a car I'm interested in. Maybe the standard selection already has a car I like, then I won't need to buy one anyway.

Just a small correction of what bananafactory said. There are 2 DLC tour packs per month, but only one of them comes with 5 cars.

They gave the first 2 packs away for free due to the problems at launch, and there is also a free car every month, so make sure to get all of that content.

As for the season pass, i'm positive you'll want to buy it if you enjoy the base game. At first i thought i'd be content with just the original tour and the 2 free DLC tours, especially since i barely even touched the tour for the first week. I played around 300 single events in that time, just setting up single races, trying out cars on different tracks and in different weather conditions, marveling at the visuals and having tons of fun learning to tame some of the more wild cars. Even though i greatly enjoyed what i played, i was hesitant at first about getting even more tour content, when i wan't even sure i'd be able to beat the original events. But after enjoying the game so much i thought what the heck and got the pass anyway. Fast forward a month and i have completed the original tour and most of the DLC tours so far. This is the second season pass i have ever bought and i have no regrets.

nib95

Banned
Lmao....as soon as we get the One:1, Koenigsegg comes with a 1500 hp beast that goes 0-248 in 20 seconds...

f4yyozmhnometmnqkqeu.png

Insane. Koenigsegg is showing everyone else how it's done. But their prices are also getting far too ridiculous. When even a $1m is now far off the mark, it's getting too extreme.

11023157_10206348841385758_305563294_n.jpg

11039775_10206348840945747_213832045_n.jpg

live-blog0-62.jpg

live-blog0-64.jpg

11042045_10206348840105726_1842427465_n.jpg

live-blog0-60.jpg

live-blog0-61.jpg

10647208_823249187710338_8466381194008047714_n.jpg

Some more shots, including press shots here. I must say, it looks stunning. Not as outrageous as their other designs, and far classier.

Koenigsegg Regera Reveal

Dat auto fold out spoiler.

live-blog0-63.jpg

T_Exige

Why does it have classic color? It reminds me of a Ferrari California that can fly.
I am not 100% sure on the design, the Agera was almost perfect.

I miss the screaming colors and carbon, but maybe that is saved for the R and :ONE version ;-D

Zukuu

Banned
That is the stand I ordered. How you like it?
It's great if you have an armchair to sink into. Flexible, easy to set up and mount and also really sturdy. Improved the fun of racing games a trillion times.

Just a small correction of what bananafactory said. There are 2 DLC tour packs per month, but only one of them comes with 5 cars.

They gave the first 2 packs away for free due to the problems at launch, and there is also a free car every month, so make sure to get all of that content.

As for the season pass, i'm positive you'll want to buy it if you enjoy the base game. At first i thought i'd be content with just the original tour and the 2 free DLC tours, especially since i barely even touched the tour for the first week. I played around 300 single events in that time, just setting up single races, trying out cars on different tracks and in different weather conditions, marveling at the visuals and having tons of fun learning to tame some of the more wild cars. Even though i greatly enjoyed what i played, i was hesitant at first about getting even more tour content, when i wan't even sure i'd be able to beat the original events. But after enjoying the game so much i thought what the heck and got the pass anyway. Fast forward a month and i have completed the original tour and most of the DLC tours so far. This is the second season pass i have ever bought and i have no regrets.
Of course I will consider buying the DLC if I run out of content. I don't want to marathon the game tho, so I might be fine for a while.

Siegmeyer

Really enjoyed the new DLC, but the trophy events were far too easy. I got 9 stars on both on my first try, and didn't exactly race anywhere near my best. Don't think that's happened for any other championship.

Duallusion

Heh, those Koenigsegg Regera's numbers are ridiculous and not in a good way either. There comes a point when it all just becomes absurd.

xrnzaaas

Regera actually looks pretty bad and outdated when compared to other modern supercars. But who cares about its exterior and interior when you've got so much power. They'd have to create a separate class for it in Driveclub. ;)

v1lla21

Nah, it looks sweet. It has a nice classic style going on with it that makes it look nice. Imagine that shit in Driveclub though. Lol

GreedZen

Banned
Lmao....as soon as we get the One:1, Koenigsegg comes with a 1500 hp beast that goes 0-248 in 20 seconds...

f4yyozmhnometmnqkqeu.png

That's an ugly automobile.

Saw mention of price but none listed.

Koenigsegg Regera $1,890,000usd - just over £1.2m

LaFerrari and P1 prices are said to have been approx $1,400,000usd

In most cases these prices are of course before any customization, taxes, duties, etc

Shaneus

Insane. Koenigsegg is showing everyone else how it's done. But their prices are also getting far too ridiculous. When even a $1m is now far off the mark, it's getting too extreme.

11023157_10206348841385758_305563294_n.jpg

11039775_10206348840945747_213832045_n.jpg

live-blog0-62.jpg

live-blog0-64.jpg

11042045_10206348840105726_1842427465_n.jpg

live-blog0-60.jpg

live-blog0-61.jpg

10647208_823249187710338_8466381194008047714_n.jpg

Some more shots, including press shots here. I must say, it looks stunning. Not as outrageous as their other designs, and far classier.

Koenigsegg Regera Reveal

Dat auto fold out spoiler.

live-blog0-63.jpg
For some reason, the rear gives me a bit of XJ220 vibe. A car I would have no problem with seeing in DC.
saojNAwm.jpg

Damn, this was intense, I got what I thought was a great lap time on this track so issued out a challenge to a load of people. Last night some fella beat it by 2 seconds, impossible to beat I thought. After a good hour and a half of trying I got to within a second of him then after a few more attempts this happened.

Driveclub Fast Lap Challenge: http://youtu.be/gnQYB0108qA

Dat feeling as you cross the finish line

T_Exige

If it contains one of these cars it will indeed be amazing:
Nissan GTR, Lexus LFA, Lotus Elise, Pagani Zonda (F or Cinque), or some sort of Lamborghini ...

Even if it are other cars, I won't complain :)

Course creator!

And oh boy the One:1 is a nightmare. Maybe I've become weak from not playing for two weeks but it feels like I need completely new braking points!

Still managed top 10 on my first go at my favourite track though! But somehow that's still 2 seconds-ish shy of Greg!

Top Bottom