• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Nyx

Regarding the current PS+ sale:

I still haven't redeemed my 14 day PS+ trial (I got the limited MGSV PS4 bundle last week). If I were to activate the trial and buy DRIVECLUB would I still be able to play it after the trial lapsed? It's only the free games they lock you out of, correct?

Correct.

USF

I still haven't redeemed my 14 day PS+ trial (I got the limited MGSV PS4 bundle last week). If I were to activate the trial and buy DRIVECLUB would I still be able to play it after the trial lapsed? It's only the free games they lock you out of, correct?

Exactly. Discounted items are yours to keep.

Note that trial codes only work IF you've never had plus before on the account you are using.

-Amon-

I still wait for a miracle patch that makes my Logitech DFGT useable.

It's perfectly driveable with the gamepad, one of the best implementation of gamepad controls i've ever tried in racing games, if not the best.

Looking at the videos of wr holders you're going to be slower than he best wheel users of course, but the fun remains.

Tommi84

It's perfectly driveable with the gamepad, one of the best implementation of gamepad controls

Well, I don't think anyone is saying that using gamepad with Driveclub sucks. We (users of DFGT) just want to use the _better_ option ;)

I want my DFGT to work :(.

nib95

Banned
If you are not too bad at the game, play as many challanges as possible.Look for those with a decent player count (1000+) and can get some decent fame, you just need to wait for the challenges to run out. I got millions of of fame in the last weeks by playing like ~30min challanges a day (it's also quite addicting).

Thanks for the tip. Fame is the thing I need most now. If you do challenges with lots of entrants (1000+), do you still get a good amount of fame even if you're not in the top 10?

Makikou

Looking at the videos of wr holders you're going to be slower than he best wheel users of course, but the fun remains.

Yeah, no. I go with a DualShock 4 and can keep up with kie. TRP_Button uses DS4 for example as does eb4tickyf0

All wheel does makes it look a lot smoother but from what i've heard, wheel might take a bit more skill even.

knavish

Yeah, no. I go with a DualShock 4 and can keep up with kie. TRP_Button uses DS4 for example as does eb4tickyf0

All wheel does makes it look a lot smoother but from what i've heard, wheel might take a bit more skill even.

yeah from what I understand there are certain cars that are better with a wheel depending on how smooth you are with the left stick on a DS4. like the A45 AMG is much better with a wheel apparently as you lose speed with micro inputs on a controller.

Tommi84

If you do challenges with lots of entrants (1000+), do you still get a good amount of fame even if you're not in the top 10?
If you end up in the first third of the results, you'll easily get ~100k of fame. The more entrants the more points you get. Additionally, for Club Challenges you get the points for yourself AND the club, so you can easily get twice the amount ;).

It's not a difficult task to get sometimes 300.000fame for a top 30% result.

Thanks for the tip. Fame is the thing I need most now. If you do challenges with lots of entrants (1000+), do you still get a good amount of fame even if you're not in the top 10?

You can get plenty of fame even if you don't crack the top 100. If you do, even better. Have a look at the leaderboards for the challenges you're interested in, they include the fame point rewards for each place. Personally i just do 2-3 quick attempts at a challenge and move onto the next one, unless i know i can do much better. Slight improvements usually don't yield enough additional fame to warrant spending too much time on them, when you can make much more with an attempt or two on the next challenge. Do enough of them and you'll have fame points rolling in like nobody's business.

nib95

Banned
If you end up in the first third of the results, you'll easily get ~100k of fame. The more entrants the more points you get. Additionally, for Club Challenges you get the points for yourself AND the club, so you can easily get twice the amount ;).

It's not a difficult task to get sometimes 300.000fame for a top 30% result.

You can get plenty of fame even if you don't crack the top 100. If you do, even better. Have a look at the leaderboards for the challenges you're interested in, they include the fame point rewards for each place. Personally i just do 2-3 quick attempts at a challenge and move onto the next one, unless i know i can do much better. Slight improvements usually don't yield enough additional fame to warrant spending too much time on them, when you can make much more with an attempt or two on the next challenge. Do enough of them and you'll have fame points rolling in like nobody's business.

Awesome dudes. I always avoid the big challenges because I think I have no hope of winning or getting much fame, didn't realise you get a good amount of fame for just doing well.

desu

Could someone post the patch notes of the latest patch please?

Was just a fxi for the Thrustmaster 100 wheel I think, not more.

edit:
Todays ~50MB game update is purely to address an issue with the Thrustmaster T100.

Awesome dudes. I always avoid the big challenges because I think I have no hope of winning or getting much fame, didn't realise you get a good amount of fame for just doing well.

Can't believe you avoided challanges xD. I only remember you having a super high drift score in one of the club challanges ages ago so I think you should be totally fine and get tons of points.

-Amon-

Interesting. Watching Kie's videos i thought his precision in positioning the car at the right spot and at the right time could not be matched with a pad. Also his throtthle control and general input smoothness seems out of range with a pad.

I would really really like to watch some lap of yours :)

Auctopus

Thanks Desu, I thought the PNG stuff had happened in a driveclub update.

I know it's due in 3.0 but I guess I've seen some people with beta access.

DD

Beautiful steelcase, Shaneus! =o

did the sale already come and go for NA?

The BR usually follows the US store, and it's still in the old price here, so I suppose that it's the same in the US. I'm just waiting the reduction to purchase it too. :p

You can check here: store.playstation.com

BHK3

Banned
Do you have PS+? Why not try out the PS+ version for free?

I think it's great, the handling isn't sim, but it's certainly not arcade. If you try playing it like Shift you will get your arse kicked quickly and hit a lot of barriers.

I don't actually have a ps4

I just want to talk about a game I'm interested in to tide me over till I get it, whenever.

V6BYXVo.gif

nib95

Banned
Cheers to all those who advised about doing the most popular challenges. Just did 4 or so and now I should have around 800k fame waiting for me tomorrow or whenever these challenges end. That means a level up when they do! Should be level 65 this time tomorrow. In particular I find the Drift challenges fairly easy.

Gat damn...

Note that trial codes only work IF you've never had plus before on the account you are using.

As it turns out I did have PS+ before. Must have been from one of Sony's "we're sorry" things.

I had 10 bucks on my account so I ended up getting a month. Even with that on top of it, it's still an awesome deal. I'm gonna get into it more when i'm done with MGSV.

drotahorror

Is there still some sort of bullshittery when it comes to drifts? I'm doing an evo drift challenge and I'm within a hundred or two, and even beating some drifts/speed zones of the top player but on one drift he beats me by 12,000. It's only one turn, I don't get it.

Duallusion

Is there still some sort of bullshittery when it comes to drifts? I'm doing an evo drift challenge and I'm within a hundred or two, and even beating some drifts/speed zones of the top player but on one drift he beats me by 12,000. It's only one turn, I don't get it.

There certainly is. If Evo revised the scoring system (again) and penalized going off track I think we wouldn't be seeing the same 5 or 10 guys always on top (who are somehow able to cheese out 30k+ drifts in certain corners).

airjoca

You have to go at the right speed at a very specifc angle to do those kind of drift scores.

Yes, it pisses me off too, how the slightest change of car angle can make a difference of thousands of points.

Shaneus

Ferrari LaFerrari - its a hell of a car
Really is. I put in some kms on it a few days ago to rack up some points due to the 2x that was available (still took ages to get 100k, wasn't worth it... the next 1m are going to take a while) and had a blast. I <3 BHR.

krioto

Really is. I put in some kms on it a few days ago to rack up some points due to the 2x that was available (still took ages to get 100k, wasn't worth it... the next 1m are going to take a while) and had a blast. I <3 BHR.

Yes, me too regarding the double points - just sounds great, handles great and accelerates, well, great

Shaneus

But its no lancia delta is it?
Are you mocking me?

Yes, me too regarding the double points - just sounds great, handles great and accelerates, well, great
Just on this, I had a little idea. I know there are obviously challenges for fastest laps and whatever, but it'd be great to see some kind of endurance thing setup so there can be a reward for, say, most laps done in a 24 hour period of a particular track... so it doesn't necessarily matter how fast your times are, but how many times you manage to do it. Maybe cleanly or something.

You have to go at the right speed at a very specifc angle to do those kind of drift scores.

Yes, it pisses me off too, how the slightest change of car angle can make a difference of thousands of points.

Yeah, for a while i was trying to work on this, but that was an exercise in frustration, because i couldn't even figure out what the proper angle is supposed to be in the first place, much less replicate it on a constant basis. I did manage to hit that sweet spot every once in a while and even won a challenge that way once, after many, many tries, but it's way too inconsistent for me to bother with it on a regular basis.

The thing about the same people constantly being on top of the drifting leaderboards is true. I'm not hating, it still takes skill to pull it off constantly, but i wish us regular players had more insight into what exactly it takes to pull it off, maybe Rushy could shed some light on it.

I have tried to contact one of those players once to ask for advice (renault74) and he seemed nice enough in his reply, but due to the language barrier i didn't get much out of it and didn't bother asking for a more detailed explanation.

There should be something done about hitting the wall during a drift though. As it is now, it only stops you from gaining more points if your drift continues after a slight collision, but people shouldn't be able to abuse the aforementioned method by going full speed into walls on purpose. I think it should void your score for that corner, even though i benefit from that myself sometimes.

nib95

Banned
Woo! Managed to do the Level 65 Marussia B2 Cayoosh Point challenge on my very first attempt! Luckily it's one of my fave tracks, so despite the car being a handful, managed to just skim it. Pretty sure I only just passed by a few thousandth of a second lol.

That new Renault is almost mine B-)

Are you mocking me?

Just on this, I had a little idea. I know there are obviously challenges for fastest laps and whatever, but it'd be great to see some kind of endurance thing setup so there can be a reward for, say, most laps done in a 24 hour period of a particular track... so it doesn't necessarily matter how fast your times are, but how many times you manage to do it. Maybe cleanly or something.

24 Hours of DriveClub eh! Sounds interesting... Maybe in teams of three drivers doing shifts... Might help if you have team mates in different timezones...

Maybe when the private servers arrive they have timed events as well as number of laps - could split the event up into 2 hour segments and add all the lap quantities together...

Woo! Managed to do the Level 65 Marussia B2 Cayoosh Point challenge on my very first attempt! Luckily it's one of my fave tracks, so despite the car being a handful, managed to just skim it. Pretty sure I only just passed by a few thousandth of a second lol.

That new Renault is almost mine B-)

That Renault is very good actually, well worth getting the levels to unlock

There should be something done about hitting the wall during a drift though. As it is now, it only stops you from gaining more points if your drift continues after a slight collision, but people shouldn't be able to abuse the aforementioned method by going full speed into walls on purpose. I think it should void your score for that corner, even though i benefit from that myself sometimes.

People riding the walls can be an issue on some of the sprint events too which is annoying!

Firetrappe

Neo Member
Yeah, for a while i was trying to work on this, but that was an exercise in frustration, because i couldn't even figure out what the proper angle is supposed to be in the first place, much less replicate it on a constant basis. I did manage to hit that sweet spot every once in a while and even won a challenge that way once, after many, many tries, but it's way too inconsistent for me to bother with it on a regular basis.

The thing about the same people constantly being on top of the drifting leaderboards is true. I'm not hating, it still takes skill to pull it off constantly, but i wish us regular players had more insight into what exactly it takes to pull it off, maybe Rushy could shed some light on it.

I have tried to contact one of those players once to ask for advice (renault74) and he seemed nice enough in his reply, but due to the language barrier i didn't get much out of it and didn't bother asking for a more detailed explanation.

First post on here as my registration has finally been authorised. I've really enjoyed reading this thread over the past few months, It makes a change to see nice constructive conversations.

Anyway, I thought I might shed some light on the drifting scores your talking about. I'm not a real fan of the drift events, but they do make a nice change sometimes.

It's deceptive watching peoples ghosts as they only show the drifts from just before the orange drift marker. I couldn't work out how people were getting stupidly high scores either so I spent a bit of time searching youtube videos to try and figure it out. It appears that the drift score is calculated well before you enter the drift zone. Therefore if you can start the drift really early in a speed zone and carry it through to the end of the drift section then you'll get a huge score. Maplewood in the wet is the easiest place to test it for yourself. Here's a video I saved when I was testing the theory, keep an eye on the drift score in the last section :

Youtube - Maplewood Drift

Tommi84

Here's a video I saved when I was testing the theory, keep an eye on the drift score in the last section
:0

How is that even possible that the drift scores are happening before the drift zone? They screw it up THAT badly in Evo? That's why I was able to loose 10.000pts on the last sections sometimes.

Thank you for the info! :)

First post on here as my registration has finally been authorised. I've really enjoyed reading this thread over the past few months, It makes a change to see nice constructive conversations.

Anyway, I thought I might shed some light on the drifting scores your talking about. I'm not a real fan of the drift events, but they do make a nice change sometimes.

Here's a video I saved when I was testing the theory, keep an eye on the drift score in the last section :

Youtube - Maplewood Drift

Welcome to GAF and this thread! Well spotted on this, I don't do drift events apart from the tours but it'll certainly help doing those when the new ones arrive :)

Firetrappe

Neo Member
Thanks for the welcome guys :)

Feel free to add me on PSN, i'm on DC most days playing MP or challenges. PSN ID: firetrappe.

Glad my first post was useful. Oh and thanks whoever downvoted my video already, 16 views and 1 downvote.. 6 more and i'll feel like part of the family lol.

Top Bottom