• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I don't like 'em because I feel they don't belong among the other real life cars. And I usually find they over-exaggerated and ugly. They break the immersion of the game. Feels like they're toys. :c

Aye that they are, very ugly but I find them a lot of fun. The Twin'Run in particular, fucking awful visually but really damn fun to throw around. I would love something like the GWR Raptor or a nice selection of rally cars but most likely doubtful and the concepts give something a bit unusual that add diversity. Plus you pretty much only race concepts against each other.

Shaneus

First post on here as my registration has finally been authorised. I've really enjoyed reading this thread over the past few months, It makes a change to see nice constructive conversations.

Anyway, I thought I might shed some light on the drifting scores your talking about. I'm not a real fan of the drift events, but they do make a nice change sometimes.

It's deceptive watching peoples ghosts as they only show the drifts from just before the orange drift marker. I couldn't work out how people were getting stupidly high scores either so I spent a bit of time searching youtube videos to try and figure it out. It appears that the drift score is calculated well before you enter the drift zone. Therefore if you can start the drift really early in a speed zone and carry it through to the end of the drift section then you'll get a huge score. Maplewood in the wet is the easiest place to test it for yourself. Here's a video I saved when I was testing the theory, keep an eye on the drift score in the last section :

Youtube - Maplewood Drift
Are you sure that's the case? The first zone it starts the count from zero, but on all the others it looks like it's just delaying the drift point count until well after but still counting your drift at the start of the section. If I can try and demonstrate:

1. Where you start your drift
2. Where DC starts counting your drift
3. Where DC starts to display your score

1. ...|.......
2. .....|.....
3. ........|..

This is the first measurement it shows on the last corner, quite a bit after you passed the begin drift section point:
Jgk98Gl.png

The very next frame, you're 146 points up already:
iGYGXPL.png

To get a bit anal, if the game is 30fps and YT isn't doing weird shit with frames, at that point you'll be getting 30x146 points per second which you can see when you start racking up the points stupid quickly. If it started counting drift points well before the section started, you'd have closer to 4,000 points by the time it displayed your score. As it is, by that stage you've generated enough points to account for roughly 1/3 of a second, which looks to me roughly what the delay is between starting the section and it displaying the drift score.

I think the vast difference in scoring you're seeing is because when you're in the middle of a drift, it'll be scoring higher than if you're just starting it out. If you're in the middle of a drift by the time that section starts recording your points, then you'll rack up the score a lot higher (like in that last section in your video).

I could be wrong and this is far from a perfectly accurate analysis (I'm also doing it at work when I should be working... whoops) but please don't let this post detract from you posting in this thread. The more/different posters in here, the better!

leng jai

I'm pretty sure Evolution deliberately made it so you have to manually unlock ever race/car in the season pass just to make you notice the ridiculous amount of content it contains.

kyser73

I had a few hours spare tonight, thought instead of making a gif why not make a short video instead :)

https://vid.me/P3wA

Dude, that was awesome. You should tweet that to Rushy.

Picked up DC again for the first time in ages the other day, nailed a couple of the new tours...happily able to get myself into the top 10K globally...which is basically my skill ceiling...

Firetrappe

Neo Member
Are you sure that's the case? The first zone it starts the count from zero, but on all the others it looks like it's just delaying the drift point count until well after but still counting your drift at the start of the section. If I can try and demonstrate:

1. Where you start your drift
2. Where DC starts counting your drift
3. Where DC starts to display your score

1. ...|.......
2. .....|.....
3. ........|..

This is the first measurement it shows on the last corner, quite a bit after you passed the begin drift section point:
Jgk98Gl.png

The very next frame, you're 146 points up already:
iGYGXPL.png

To get a bit anal, if the game is 30fps and YT isn't doing weird shit with frames, at that point you'll be getting 30x146 points per second which you can see when you start racking up the points stupid quickly. If it started counting drift points well before the section started, you'd have closer to 4,000 points by the time it displayed your score. As it is, by that stage you've generated enough points to account for roughly 1/3 of a second, which looks to me roughly what the delay is between starting the section and it displaying the drift score.

I think the vast difference in scoring you're seeing is because when you're in the middle of a drift, it'll be scoring higher than if you're just starting it out. If you're in the middle of a drift by the time that section starts recording your points, then you'll rack up the score a lot higher (like in that last section in your video).

I could be wrong and this is far from a perfectly accurate analysis (I'm also doing it at work when I should be working... whoops) but please don't let this post detract from you posting in this thread. The more/different posters in here, the better!

Nice analysis, I can see what you're saying but i'm still not sure. Have a look at this video (from halfway through) and see if your theory still applies : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g986xyaELRM

It would be good if Rushy could shed some light on the scoring system, at least if everyone knew the 'rules' then it would make for a level playing field.

It is annoying when you drift properly on a long technical course and get a fraction of the score you get on a single corner on another.
This is one of my best drift runs (apart from hitting the barrier at the end), yet you can get the same score on one bend on another track like maplewood.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHHFoWJmPLg

Shaneus

Amazing. Is there any way that I could get my hands on an mp4? (or any other HQ video format).
I downloaded a 720P MP4 directly off that vid.me website. Changed the video to HQ with the sprocket icon, then right-clicked and selected "Save video". I don't think I was running any special software to allow it.

On this note, can we have the "getting into car" animation occur just before a race? Would be way cooler and add to the atmosphere much more than having it at the car select screen.

Edit: Here's a download link, Rushy:
https://mega.nz/#!U8gDwKgD!eRz1OKgmXswVWgjwP99hsKBnxN0YOsFR2qX2TjJLxwM

Nice analysis, I can see what you're saying but i'm still not sure. Have a look at this video (from halfway through) and see if your theory still applies : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g986xyaELRM

It would be good if Rushy could shed some light on the scoring system, at least if everyone knew the 'rules' then it would make for a level playing field.

It is annoying when you drift properly on a long technical course and get a fraction of the score you get on a single corner on another.
This is one of my best drift runs (apart from hitting the barrier at the end), yet you can get the same score on one bend on another track like maplewood.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHHFoWJmPLg
I think it's the same deal. You can see after the drift popup appears he's getting several thousand in every few fractions of a second, so a delay between the zone starting and the counter appearing could account for the large number it shows up with. But I agree if part of the issue is that there's somehow too many points being generated in such a short area, but not that the point counting starts before the zone does.

nib95

Banned
I had a few hours spare tonight, thought instead of making a gif why not make a short video instead :)

https://vid.me/P3wA

Incredible work. And I do sincerely mean that. Your selection of shots is impressive. Can see you put a lot of time and effort in to getting numerous money shots and showing off the variety of conditions and effects. Great stuff.

Out of curiosity, do you have a 1080p version?

Shaneus

Incredible work. And I do sincerely mean that. Your selection of shots is impressive. Can see you put a lot of time and effort in to getting numerous money shots and showing off the variety of conditions and effects. Great stuff.

Out of curiosity, do you have a 1080p version?
Probably not if it was taken with PS4Share or whatever. I know that's 720P only.

Rushy

Details about further Sprint tracks, the next 'BIG' update and Custom Lobbies:

DRIVECLUB said:
Starting from today we're going to bring you new Sprint mode tracks for free every week until Christmas! Nilgiri Hills in India and Taapaca in Chile are here first, go play them now! https://youtu.be/T8mKJXFqrZQ

We're also working on a big #DRIVECLUB update for next month and Custom lobbies for Multiplayer to launch around the same time, so keep sharing your feedback about the game with us here.

https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/videos/879761378774890/

Shaneus

Fortunately not. The sprint tracks are being dealt with server side to avoid weekly game updates :)

There will still of course be monthly game updates. Next months might be bigger than normal though!
Woooo! First we get a new Prime Minister, and now this news!

Rushy

Is the season pass support over now ? Do we expect new things to come for Driveclub from now on?
The Season Pass ran from November 2014 through to July 2015, and as you've seen in the time since then we've continued to support the game and we will continue to do so too :)

kriskrosbbk

The Season Pass ran from November 2014 through to July 2015, and as you've seen in the time since then we've continued to support the game and we will continue to do so too :)

Cheers mate ,have it since November ,just lost track when is the last month with the DLCs coming along. Great support to a great game . I was just wondering are you planning Season pass 2 or something .Trust me it will sell well ;]

Denur

Next to the new features and bug fixes, are you also tweaking the already impressive IQ?

T_Exige

Two things:
- please do something with the drift scores. It makes the koala's sad and it's
- can we get some more 'normal' cars? Some sweet hot hatch (Seat Leon FR or Seat Ibiza would be ideal ;) ) and Performance/Super. Not a big fan of high-end race cars to be honest.

That is why we need a Lotus Elise S Cup and the "Lancia Delta"!

I know Evolution likes British cars, so why not add TVR, they have some great cars in the performance/super class: Tamora, Griffith, T350, Cerbera, Tuscan, Sagaris. The noise alone that these cars make ... :drool:

nib95

Banned
That is why we need a Lotus Elise S Cup and the "Lancia Delta"!

I know Evolution likes Britisch cars, so why not add TVR, they have some great cars in the performance/super class: Tamora, Griffith, T350, Cerbera, Tuscan, Sagaris. The noise alone that these cars make ... :drool:

Those TVR's supposedly handle pretty poorly, plus they're pretty old now too. I think they'd be nice for novelty value, but ultimately the cars that are more manageable in a race or on the road are the one's that'll get the most usage. They do have a new 2017 vehicle coming though, maybe Evolution could be the first game to include that?

T_Exige

Those TVR's supposedly handle pretty poorly, plus they're pretty old now too. I think they'd be nice for novelty value, but ultimately the cars that are more manageable in a race or on the road are the one's that'll get the most usage. They do have a new 2017 vehicle coming though, maybe Evolution could be the first game to include that?

I wasn't asking for all of them, maybe 1 or 2 max, but I do agree on the unpredictable handling. There are still so many great "new" cars left that they could easily fill another season. Veyron and LFA come to mind as cars I expected in Season 1, but like some people said I also prefer some cars in the performance/super class.

Starting from today we're going to bring you new Sprint mode tracks for free every week until Christmas! Nilgiri Hills in India and Taapaca in Chile are here first, go play them now! https://youtu.be/T8mKJXFqrZQ

We're also working on a big #DRIVECLUB update for next month and Custom lobbies for Multiplayer to launch around the same time, so keep sharing your feedback about the game with us here.

That's what, 14 new sprint tracks still to come? Considering all the sprint tracks so far have been set on p2p tracks and there are only 8 left (counting reversed tracks) to pull sprint tracks from, it makes you wonder where the rest is going to come from. Unless certain p2p tracks will have more than one sprint track set on them, or sprint tracks will be pulled from some of the longer road circuits/race tracks, let's hope this means a new country or two coming soon. :)

Auctopus

That is awesome news about the new sprint tracks, I enjoy them more than I thought I would.

If we get SP2 news in between now and Christmas as well..

Griss

Just bought this game a week ago having finally got the promised PS+ version and I'm really, really enjoying it. Played quite a bit this weekend and got to Driver Level 28. It's always fun to drive a car in a game you've driven a lot in real life so having the Audi A1 included from the start was a trip. Loved it.

Some questions: What was the original single-player content in the game before updates and the season pass (which I have)? Was it just the Driveclub Cup itself? Seems pretty light. Looks like this is a game that has utterly transformed over the past year or more. After all, the weather is the most impressive thing about the game.

Also: What are the benefits of being in a Club, and what level does it need to be to get said benefits? I put myself in some random club which became 6 people, but I've had to get it up to level 10 myself. Doesn't feel like anyone else is playing.

I just love the visuals and tracks so much, though. Jesus my eyes cry in joy while playing this game, I've never seen anything like it.

Some questions: What was the original single-player content in the game before updates and the season pass (which I have)? Was it just the Driveclub Cup itself? Seems pretty light. Looks like this is a game that has utterly transformed over the past year or more. After all, the weather is the most impressive thing about the game.

Also: What are the benefits of being in a Club, and what level does it need to be to get said benefits? I put myself in some random club which became 6 people, but I've had to get it up to level 10 myself. Doesn't feel like anyone else is playing.

1. Yes, the original Sp content was the Driveclub tour, which lasted me personally for 10-12 hours. I'm not sure how that fares compared to other racing games' SP content, but i do know that i was too busy messing around with different cars, tracks and weather combinations and had completed around 300 races before i even properly started playing the tour.

2. A few of the cars and liveries are tied to your club level. These are the cars and club levels to unlock them:

Volkswagen Golf GTI (level 1)
Bentley Continental GT V8 (Level 3)
BMW M3 GTS (Level 6)
BAC Mono (Level 10)
Pagani Zonda R (Level 15)

Griss

1. Yes, the original Sp content was the Driveclub tour, which lasted me personally for 10-12 hours. I'm not sure how that fares compared to other racing games' SP content, but i do know that i was too busy messing around with different cars, tracks and weather combinations and had completed around 300 races before i even properly started playing the tour.

2. A few of the cars and liveries are tied to your club level. These are the cars and club levels to unlock them:

Volkswagen Golf GTI (level 1)
Bentley Continental GT V8 (Level 3)
BMW M3 GTS (Level 6)
BAC Mono (Level 10)
Pagani Zonda R (Level 15)

Sweet, I'll be able to do that all on my own. I'm guessing if I leave the club I'll lose the rights to those cars?

LostCanuck

Neo Member
Hi DRIVECLUB-GAF, long time lurker first time poster. I picked up DRIVECLUB last year from Amazon boxing day sale, but was busy with a backlog of other games and lent it to a friend. Finally got it back a few months ago and tried it over the double xp weekend in late August. I'm pissed at myself for waiting this long to play it. What a fantastic game! I won't go into too much detail as to why I enjoy it as it has been mentioned a ton in this thread (graphics, track/course layouts and locations, gameplay, menus, sound, load-times!!, post launch support, etc.). It is a great all around package that really clicks with me.

- Is there a calendar or site where Evolution announces Double XP events? I missed the Double XP multiplayer weekend, and only happened to logon late yesterday to catch the end of the Double XP club car event. It would be nice to know these ahead of time, or are they every weekend? Are Evo planning to take advantage of the 'Events' feature in the next PS4 firmware?

- With Evo challenges do you get extra fame/xp when the event is over based on your standing? I did my first one yesterday and when I left it I was ~120th place. So addicting! I found myself saying 'one more run, I know I can do better!' over and over. 2 hours later...

- I was happy to see it supports my T500 wheel which I haven't used in a few years (GT5). Anyone have any recommended settings? I have it on the default at the moment (720 rotation?) with only the FF turned down a smidge. I couldn't seem to get my shifter working (TH8A), but looking around it seems it isn't supported, correct?

- Did I miss the PSN sale (NA) for Season Pass? I looked every other day since I saw it was announced in this thread last week, but I never saw it for sale.

- Can I change my driver appearance? I did a quick look last night and didn't see anything. Sorry if I missed it. I was watching some youtube videos and noticed different appearances on the drivers so I was curious.

- I can't drift for @#!$ with my wheel. Right now I use my wheel for everything (cockpit view/external engine sound, no-hud unless a new track, great immersion!); but for drifting challenges I have to go third person and use controller. Anyone drift with a wheel?

- Alfie Sanders is my nemesis! I'm still working my way through the Tour and I'm almost done the 'Semi-Pro Trophy' just missing the '1st in Championship' star from the Championship Event and Alfie just barely beats me in the points standings every time. GRRR! I unlocked a few new cars yesterday so I may give one of them a chance next time. (I was using the Bentley Continental GT Speed).

- So far the hardest star I have had was BHR Track Day Time Trial. I lost track of how many times I tried it. But I enjoyed it! Can't wait to experience some of the tough events/stars I see mentioned here.

- Can I add some of you to my friends list for challenges, etc? None of my current friends play.

Thanks! Sorry for the long post.

Hi DRIVECLUB-GAF, long time lurker first time poster. I picked up DRIVECLUB last year from Amazon boxing day sale, but was busy with a backlog of other games and lent it to a friend. Finally got it back a few months ago and tried it over the double xp weekend in late August. I'm pissed at myself for waiting this long to play it. What a fantastic game! I won't go into too much detail as to why I enjoy it as it has been mentioned a ton in this thread (graphics, track/course layouts and locations, gameplay, menus, sound, load-times!!, post launch support, etc.). It is a great all around package that really clicks with me.

Welcome!

- I don't know about a calendar, but you could follow the Driveclub facebook page, they announce the events on there, among other things:

https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial?fref=photo

- Yes, you do get extra fame based on your standing in all challenges once they expire, not just in the Evolution challenges. The more people participate in the challenge, the higher the rewards get. You can check the current standing of your fame reward if you click on the leaderboards for the challenge.

- You haven't missed the NA season pass sale, as there hasn't been one yet. Hopefully soon, so you guys across the pond will be able to jump on it.

- Yes, you can change your driver's appearance. I'm not at my console right now, but it should be where you edit your club badge.

- You can add me, my PSN is everlong416.

Edit: For character customization go to: My profile --> More... --> Customise Your Character

nib95

Banned
Answers in bold.

- Is there a calendar or site where Evolution announces Double XP events? I missed the Double XP multiplayer weekend, and only happened to logon late yesterday to catch the end of the Double XP club car event. It would be nice to know these ahead of time, or are they every weekend? Are Evo planning to take advantage of the 'Events' feature in the next PS4 firmware?

+ I don't know of any site that logs it besides the Driveclub Facebook page or their Twitter, but every time you load up the game it should give you a little pop up page informing you.

- With Evo challenges do you get extra fame/xp when the event is over based on your standing? I did my first one yesterday and when I left it I was ~120th place. So addicting! I found myself saying 'one more run, I know I can do better!' over and over. 2 hours later…

+ You get more fame for not only where you finish, but more so how many people have attempted the challenge. My advice is keep having a go at the challenges that more people are doing (e.g. the Evo challenges), and you have a better chance at earning greater amounts of fame. You don't really have to worry about doing so well, after a while the fame differences aren't all that much. You can click on the leader board of any challenge you've attempted, and it will show you how much fame you're currently earning for that attempt on the right side.

- I was happy to see it supports my T500 wheel which I haven't used in a few years (GT5). Anyone have any recommended settings? I have it on the default at the moment (720 rotation?) with only the FF turned down a smidge. I couldn't seem to get my shifter working (TH8A), but looking around it seems it isn't supported, correct?

+ Can't help you here. Don't have that wheel :(

- Did I miss the PSN sale (NA) for Season Pass? I looked every other day since I saw it was announced in this thread last week, but I never saw it for sale.

+ The NA discount for the Season Pass hasn't kicked in yet, but I believe it will soon.

- Can I change my driver appearance? I did a quick look last night and didn't see anything. Sorry if I missed it. I was watching some youtube videos and noticed different appearances on the drivers so I was curious.

+ Yes you can. It's in your character/profile settings somewhere.

- I can't drift for @#!$ with my wheel. Right now I use my wheel for everything (cockpit view/external engine sound, no-hud unless a new track, great immersion!); but for drifting challenges I have to go third person and use controller. Anyone drift with a wheel?

+ I've read some users who race with a wheel, also still drift with a pad.

- Alfie Sanders is my nemesis! I'm still working my way through the Tour and I'm almost done the 'Semi-Pro Trophy' just missing the '1st in Championship' star from the Championship Event and Alfie just barely beats me in the points standings every time. GRRR! I unlocked a few new cars yesterday so I may give one of them a chance next time. (I was using the Bentley Continental GT Speed).

- So far the hardest star I have had was BHR Track Day Time Trial. I lost track of how many times I tried it. But I enjoyed it! Can't wait to experience some of the tough events/stars I see mentioned here.

- Can I add some of you to my friends list for challenges, etc? None of my current friends play.

+ Feel free to add me. My PSN is NIBZY

Thanks! Sorry for the long post.

KaidoRacer7

We don't have a date just yet for difficulty options. We're doing our best with a small team to squeeze as many features and options in every months update.

Evo is a small team or team is small because other people is allocated for the next Motorstorm? ;)

Top Bottom