• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I'm getting used to these bikes and having a lot more fun now, but I don't think they have enough 'oomph'. A 1000cc bike feels much more savage in real life than they do in DC. The sense of speed is there and it's excellent, but the blistering bursts of acceleration aren't portrayed as well as they could be imo.

I agree with this they feel a bit like 250cc, reminiscent of a twist and go as well. A 250cc is all I ever owned myself (R4) but got to have a play about on my dads Fireblade and his old 916 and they were terrifying, put your balls in your throat from a tiny movement and the noise is on another level comparative to what is in game, it sounds very muted and I have the engine sounds turned up. I'm enjoying it much more than I thought and the multiplayer is really solid.

I've been very lucky to play the Driveclub VR and can tell you now it's insane, the most amazing experience I've ever had since I've been gaming, it's just unbelievable :)

Damn, now I'm envious. So Kie what is being announced next week?

Makikou

I agree with this they feel a bit like 250cc, reminiscent of a twist and go as well. A 250cc is all I ever owned myself (R4) but got to have a play about on my dads Fireblade and his old 916 and they were terrifying, put your balls in your throat from a tiny movement and the noise is on another level comparative to what is in game, it sounds very muted and I have the engine sounds turned up. I'm enjoying it much more than I thought and the multiplayer is really solid.

He has signed an NDA so can't say anything. Can't stop reminding us about it though >_> :p

Another image:

ZCZzQ8h.jpg

desu

Not like he can answer you, NDA etc ;). If there are new tracks I am sure he has seen them.

Denur

I've been very lucky to play the Driveclub VR and can tell you now it's insane, the most amazing experience I've ever had since I've been gaming, it's just unbelievable :)
Sounds like a must have. Can you elaborate a bit more about the experience?

I live like right near a road that joins to the M1, and that joins to the M6, and that joins to the M56, and that joins to the A56 which is literally five minutes from the studio.

Yet, no invite!

The bikes are great. Nice surprise by Evo.

Damn....i hope this makes it to the retail version. And please share a little more detailed impressions if you are allowed to do so.

Auctopus

Just finished the Norway Trophy and I'm pretty impressed.

I'm glad they left it out of the car stuff. There's a nice selection of bikes and the tour is lengthy, feels like a proper expansion. The trophies are fun and I love the touch that your helmet matches your bike.

Prodigal

Banned
So if I only have the PS Plus edition, do I wanna buy the full game + season pass or just the season pass? I can't figure out if I technically own the "full game" already.

Duallusion

Rushy, if you're still lurking around here, here's an idea for the next expansion that shouldn't break the bank: take out tarmac from every existing track, sprinkle the existing layout with some dirt and gravel, throw in 15 classic rally cars, tweak the physics a bit and voilá, it's done; DriveClub Rally!

My money is ready.

Rushy, if you're still lurking around here, here's an idea for the next expansion that shouldn't break the bank: take out tarmac from every existing track, sprinkle the existing layout with some dirt and gravel, throw in 15 classic rally cars, tweak the physics a bit and voilá, it's done; DriveClub Rally!

My money is ready.
That worked out pretty well in Forza Horizon's Rally expansion.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is there a tutorial or something for drifting and using the handbrake for turns? I just can't really figure out how to do it remotely competently. I seem to be utter garbage at sim racers, but I'm liking the PS+ edition. Wouldn't mind buying the rest if I could wrap my head around proper fast turning.

krioto

I'm really enjoying the bikes - take a bit of getting used to, but feels great. I've only finished the Norway event, and just got access to the Ninja - love this bike already

Siegmeyer

Is there a tutorial or something for drifting and using the handbrake for turns? I just can't really figure out how to do it remotely competently. I seem to be utter garbage at sim racers, but I'm liking the PS+ edition. Wouldn't mind buying the rest if I could wrap my head around proper fast turning.

Best way to get a handle on drifting is fire up a time trial, get some light precipitation going and just experiment. Come off the throttle, turn into the bend, tap the handbrake and then play around with steering and throttle trying to control it as long as possible. What works well for one car might not for another, so you've just got to experiment on a car by car basis.

When it comes to just racing/time trials, you shouldn't be using the handbrake at all. Drifting is will never be quicker than a smooth line with good exit speed.

kie25

I wasn't ignoring you guys just to busy playing Bikes :) I experienced no motion sickness, ran supper smooth, the increased frame rate was really nice and I didn't really notice that much detail being lost, was so good I couldn't hide my smile,I really think sony are on to something really special with the VR :)

farmerboy

I wasn't ignoring you guys just to busy playing Bikes :) I experienced no motion sickness, ran supper smooth, the increased frame rate was really nice and I didn't really notice that much detail being lost, was so good I couldn't hide my smile,I really think sony are on to something really special with the VR :)

I think they could be too. It seems the whole vr experience centres around presence and sensation. Guys seem to be worried about graphics and details when in all likelihood those things will become secondary concerns when playing vr.

If your brain can be tricked into believing it is there then its going to fill in the blanks anyway. "Virtual" "reality". It can be cartoonish or flat shaded voxels, but if you're tricked into believing you're actually there, then it becomes your reality and the sensation of that will be much greater than looking at really pretty graphics.

drotahorror

I think Driveclub is the best game on PS4. Also one of the best racing games ever made. Only 2 games have kept my interest for a year + on PS4. Driveclub and Res0gun. Res0gun is another one of PS4's best games. Can't wait to see what else they do with Driveclub. With me getting a wheel in december, the Driveclub addiction will come back even harder. I can't wait.

*Both games mentioned I bought the season pass as well (had never bought season pass's ever. Bought both as soon as they were available. Both have amazing dlc.

Pretty bad value for existing owners really. Was expecting $10. Will still be getting it of course.

Yeah it's certainly not the greatest value, BUT the way I see it, the value of the previous season pass was amazing, so paying over the odds for this doesn't seem too bad.

For £53 all in, I've got a game that has kept me happy for over a year and keeps me coming back all the time with new content. Chuck me another £20 season pass Evo and I will snap your hand off again.

kie25

Got my 1st rank 1 time last night using pad, after sorting my pad out.slowly getting there probably another half second or so to knock off this lap, I think it may have been beat now as I seen Jenkins back on the event last night trying to take it back :) but I'm just made up I can get near the top using a pad after not playing with a pad for so long :)

http://youtu.be/X-K1yFV0SdE

Kie25, could you gives more details on Driveclub VR experience, please :)

What do you want to know?

how does it feel, did you use the wheel, or controller. How difficult it is, if you used the wheel? how is looking to the apex, how is looking back, do you need to turn your head all the way, are there sensitivity settings for turning your head(meaning that you don't need to turn your haed all the way to see behind), you know just the usual stuff :). Thx

kie25

how does it feel, did you use the wheel, or controller. How difficult it is, if you used the wheel? how is looking to the apex, how is looking back, do you need to turn your head all the way, are there sensitivity settings for turning your head(meaning that you don't need to turn your haed all the way to see behind), you know just the usual stuff :). Thx

I was really lucky in terms setup as it was the same setup I've got at home, T500rs with Ferrari GTE wheel add on. Looking into apexes felt so natural it picked up every movement perfectly, I don't know about sensitivity options it was just a pre set demo, but it basically matched 1-1 . Looking back was the only thing that slightly messed with my head as someone thought it would be funny to get me to look out the sub roof backwards at over 100mph in passenger mode. Looking left and right felt so good everything just felt the correct size was really special, it's weird as you really feel like your in a super car, best experience I've had in gaming, id still be playing it now on 1 track if I had the chance :)

Ted

Yes they do.

Thanks Ainsz.

So, 225 stars from the original tour, 90 from the two DLC tours given away free and 162 from the bike expansion gives me 477. I reckon that means I can get to level 69 (requires 465 tour stars) assuming I ever get the super-grind amounts of XP needed through occasional play!

Thanks again mate, much appreciated.

Denur

I was really lucky in terms setup as it was the same setup I've got at home, T500rs with Ferrari GTE wheel add on. Looking into apexes felt so natural it picked up every movement perfectly, I don't know about sensitivity options it was just a pre set demo, but it basically matched 1-1 . Looking back was the only thing that slightly messed with my head as someone thought it would be funny to get me to look out the sub roof backwards at over 100mph in passenger mode. Looking left and right felt so good everything just felt the correct size was really special, it's weird as you really feel like your in a super car, best experience I've had in gaming, id still be playing it now on 1 track if I had the chance :)
How did you experience the VR device itself? How comfortable is it regarding weight and balance? How does the brain deal with switching from real life to VR and vice versa? E.g. I like to have a drink once in a while (all the time really) during a racing against the AI or while doing time trials, pausing the game. With the VR module on, the drink is out of sight, obviously. So the module has to come off. Can that be done quickly, or is it a bit cumbersome?
Aside from fewer opponents and no rear view mirrors, which dropped features stood out most, if any?

drotahorror

I just hope since VR support will be a thing, that 60fps will be an easy option to add (could just do it for solo). Wouldn't mind it just for time trials.

thx for the feedback :)

kie25

I just hope since VR support will be a thing, that 60fps will be an easy option to add (could just do it for solo). Wouldn't mind it just for time trials.

I'd say weather is the main problem with 60fps as I played race against 8 cars and didn't get a single stutter nothing just really smooth, and I'm sure evo would rather have fixed frame than 1 that fluctuates and I totally agree with that. But for single car TT no weather would be great to have that as a option I'll ask that next time I pay evo a visit :) as the game felt silky smooth in 60fps

kie25

How did you experience the VR device itself? How comfortable is it regarding weight and balance? How does the brain deal with switching from real life to VR and vice versa? E.g. I like to have a drink once in a while (all the time really) during a racing against the AI or while doing time trials, pausing the game. With the VR module on, the drink is out of sight, obviously. So the module has to come off. Can that be done quickly, or is it a bit cumbersome?
Aside from fewer opponents and no rear view mirrors, which dropped features stood out most, if any?

The actual VR felt really comfortable and light, once you know where the buttons are etc to tighten up and loosen it will be easy to use. In terms my brain, I dealt with it fine it basically felt like real life it's hard to explain, I felt like I was in a bac mono I could look at the pedals look up anything. My friend who works at evo was laughing because he said most people put the headset on and sit there in the car looking around before driving, not me I went off like a lunatic :) it just felt so natural. If you don't buy this VR you will miss out on the best gaming thing ever simple, was that good. Not got a clue on price but I'll do everything I can to make sure I can get 1 on release.

Duallusion

There's a trophy for participating in Evolution's Bike Challenge but the list is still empty two days after release. Solo Challenges for bikes too, in fact. It can't just be on my end, right?

kie25

There's a trophy for participating in Evolution's Bike Challenge but the list is still empty two days after release. Solo Challenges for bikes too, in fact. It can't just be on my end, right?

Rushy tweeted earlier that he will get challenges out when they are back in the office ;)

Top Bottom