• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Sirenty

Also given that I'm not inside the car I've lost all feeling and feedback the car is giving me so I need to either hear what it is doing, or see what it is doing. And I feel chase gives you far better feel for what the car is about to do next.

I was playing one time recently and my wife started vacuuming. Couldn't hear a thing and suddenly I was was all over the place. Missing turn-ins and sliding everywhere. Once I put on a pair of headphones, suddenly I could drive again. I thought that was really interesting. Use the audio cues a lot more than I thought I did.

farmerboy

I was playing one time recently and my wife started vacuuming. Couldn't hear a thing and suddenly I was was all over the place. Missing turn-ins and sliding everywhere. Once I put on a pair of headphones, suddenly I could drive again. I thought that was really interesting. Use the audio cues a lot more than I thought I did.

Dont laugh but I'll use the gear changes/noise of the engine as a reference for braking points a lot more than actual visual cues (auto). For example, the car might get to 3rd gear but not 4th by the next corner so I start braking when I hear/feel the car sometime after 3rd. It's all rather unscientific and relies on my natural ability.

Which explains a lot :)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
For some reason my office starting buying Driveclub now. Not sure what prompted the timing to be about now, but I guess sometimes things just happen.

We're already in a middle of a challenge right now where we best each other. As my account is pretty leveled up and has all the DLC, can you guys tell me which is the fastest car (free DLC or unlock) that a low level racer (10ish+) can drive?

I can initiate another challenge that is open to everyone that way. Thanks!

Edit: Opened the PSN store in a region I didn't get the DLC and Ferrari 488 GTB, Peugeot EX1 Concept, DS Survolt, Rimac Automobili Concept_One, Peugeot Onyx Concept , Icona Vulcano, VUHL 05, Mazzanti Evantra, Renault DeZir are the free DLC cars with speed.

Cockpit and helmet cam, always and forever. I need the audio cues, vibration (both visual and physical) and the hands on the steering wheel communicate a lot.

OK, I have been forced into third person modes for events where the weather is so bad that it makes it fucking impossible to see whats in front of the car. Third person modes don't have periods where you literally can't see a thing because you're between wiper cycles.

DD

Cockpit and helmet cam, always and forever. I need the audio cues, vibration (both visual and physical) and the hands on the steering wheel communicate a lot.

OK, I have been forced into third person modes for events where the weather is so bad that it makes it fucking impossible to see whats in front of the car. Third person modes don't have periods where you literally can't see a thing because you're between wiper cycles.
I usually get distracted by the driver's hands. :p

Shaneus

Manual, bumper cam. Vision is taken up by too much useless (but it is good looking though) information when using dash or in-car. Get good sensation of speed so it's best for judging corners and you still get the arrows for when you need to know people are behind you.

I wish that view had slightly higher IQ given there are no car assets for it to render (like the cockpit, or even the bonnet/car itself) but that's not a big deal. Do wish I could use the in-car engine noise for that view though, I much prefer it to the external car audio.

Manual and chase cam always and forever here. (unless playing with a wheel)

I just can't get on with any bumper or in-car view at all due to the lack of peripheral vision. If I had three TVs side-by-side then maybe I might give it a go. VR could be a winner for this also.

Cockpit* and AT here, also using DHC-Shannow's "hammer the R2" way of control. If I had a wheel & pedals I might try to do proper throttle control.

*Unless it is night and heavy rain in norway tracks. Or just heavy rain in the Diablo, who the hell designed those wipers?

Well, this doesn't seem like the optimal power output, but you're fast, so I guess it is working? ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

It was borne out of necessity (broken R2!) and I'm too far gone to try to change now. I know Vaga on our team has gone the same route whilst Ainsz has resorted to old school X & [] all for the same reason. Maki couldn't do without proportional control when his went so bought himself a new control :)

I had the issue last night where it couldn't find opponents in a bike race so stuck me in the next available car session! Going from chase cam bikes to bumper cam cars was a damn tough experience (god performance cars felt slow and I kept turning in too damn early!)

Has anyone had any issues with the sound dropping out during gameplay?

This has happened to me twice in past few days. While I'm playing I hear a crackle from the tv speakers and the sounds goes. If I go to the live area there is still sound from my dynamic theme.

farmerboy

Has anyone had any issues with the sound dropping out during gameplay?

This has happened to me twice in past few days. While I'm playing I hear a crackle from the tv speakers and the sounds goes. If I go to the live area there is still sound from my dynamic theme.

Yes me too. I think its a known bug but no one's ever really talked about it. For me its usually the centre speaker and therefore my car sounds are really low.

Picked up the season pass finally. What a bargain. Also had my first session in private lobbies last night with another club member in the same house. Was really great having it set up side by side like that. Multiplayer was also fun in the same setting.

Rushy, we were doing time trials but couldn't find a way to create a challenge from the times gathered from the private lobby. Nothing showed up in history when we went to create challenge. Any chance of being able to in the future? Also any chance of on option for longer than 15 minute sessions and an option so when the timer hits zero it allows the current lap to be completed instead of just ending?

Keep up the great work. Thanks!

It's a photogenic bugger this game! :)

3o85xJLzBDN5zZfhJu.gif

Yes me too. I think its a known bug but no one's ever really talked about it. For me its usually the centre speaker and therefore my car sounds are really low.

I think I got the audio drop outs during the latest free tour ' All-Stars Tour Pack', because today I was a playling a couple of other tours for close to 45mins and I had no sound issues.

Tizoc

Does the Season Pass that's on sale right now work fine with the PS Plus (free) edition that was available some months back?
Want to know so I can decide getting it or not please :X

jp_footy

Neo Member
MT + Motion Controls + Any cam apart from cockpit

I did a time trial on AHR2 a few weeks ago with the Ferrari 488 GBT and I couldn't get within 2 seconds of my time with MT when using AT.

nib95

Banned
Automatic, Dash cam for me. Not sure why I settled with Auto for DC when for all (sim) racers I go manual, but it's worked out ok. Do miss the extra level of control Manual offers, but I dislike using Manual with a pad.

Automatic, Dash cam for me. Not sure why I settled with Auto for DC when for all (sim) racers I go manual, but it's worked out ok. Do miss the extra level of control Manual offers, but I dislike using Manual with a pad.

Well, isn't automatic on DC only semi-automatic? As in, you can manual shift gears on DC, even in automatic. So considering the problem with automatic gear shifting systems is that they typically down or up shift late, you can mediate any potential disadvantage just by pressing the button yourself, when you feel like it.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Coming from Forza horizon 2 to this was not pretty. Holy shit I forget how bad the physics and handling are in Driveclub. The cars have no physics or tyre model at ALL. I will never understand evolution. They claim their are car enthusiast yet they make the cars handle like mario kart. The cars do not handle like the real thing at all. No consequence for holding the throttle flat out around a corner or the need for throttle control. Its either grip on rails or lose traction slightly. Thats about as deep as the physics go.

And Evolution is adding tire deformation? what good is that for an arcade game?

I gave this game a long rest and decided to download the digital version for cheap to see what improvements they made. Got bored out of my brain in less than 5 minutes. The game is just too fucking arcadey. Evoltion you guys should of made the physics more sim like and added assists to please the casual players. Like forza does. Instead you have made some bizarre middle ground the and the handling could not be more boring even if it tried. No soul, no thrills, nothing.

You guys nailed the sense of speed and visuals. Shame about the handling and non existent physics.

Shaneus

Coming from Forza horizon 2 to this was not pretty. Holy shit I forget how bad the physics and handling are in Driveclub. The cars have no physics or tyre model at ALL. I will never understand evolution. They claim their are car enthusiast yet they make the cars handle like mario kart. The cars do not handle like the real thing at all. No consequence for holding the throttle flat out around a corner or the need for throttle control. Its either grip on rails or lose traction slightly. Thats about as deep as the physics go.

And Evolution is adding tire deformation? what good is that for an arcade game?

I gave this game a long rest and decided to download the digital version for cheap to see what improvements they made. Got bored out of my brain in less than 5 minutes. The game is just too fucking arcadey. Evoltion you guys should of made the physics more sim like and added assists to please the casual players. Like forza does. Instead you have made some bizarre middle ground the and the handling could not be more boring even if it tried. No soul, no thrills, nothing.

You guys nailed the sense of speed and visuals. Shame about the handling and non existent physics.
9oZH8ctm.gif

And where was deformation mentioned? I don't recall reading that at all.

For those that are interested, someone finally did a proper real life speed comparison between the three main hyper cars, the P1, LaFerrari and 918. Made a thread in the OT, but most don't seem to care lol.

Ultimate Hyper Car Drag Race | LaFerrari vs P1 v 918 | 0-186 mph
I thought that might've been the Chris Harris vs. thing. Question: Is he regarded as being pretty good at car reviews and stuff? Seems like he knows his shit, but there are plenty of car reviewers who are just clueless... but I don't know how to tell them apart :(

Makikou

^ in the above post a known Forza fanboy comes in to troll us. EDIT: Not above anymore, but the post in page 385 by "TEH-CJ".

It is clear he cannot tap the nuances of the handling. It is so clear from the post, though i don't even know if he actually played the game. (fyi played both games, got trophy/cheevo stats to prove that.. i wont talk about comparing them unless specifically asked).

It's clear that he does not like arcade racing games, and expect's one to handle like a semi-sim which Horizon 2 can barely be called but nevertheless. Maybe he should just play the games he likes and not try the games he will not like OR if he does decide to try a game, he should attempt to realize that they are very different sub-genres in the racing game genre before ranting about it online and making "recommendations" to developers of how they should do all things exactly same as his favourite game from a different sub-genre.

Anyway, i'm just ranting here but wow.

Disclaimer: Played Horizon 2 enough to do the final around-the-map event and stuff.. unlocked barn find cars.. maybe 20-30 hours of gametime in total. Played DRIVECLUB for approximately 200-400 hours. All stars, platinumed Driveclub and nearly Bikes. (Just because i prefer cars tbh). On PC my main hobby is iRacing which provides Motorsport Simulations.

And yes, i'm salty as fuck because there is nothing "wise" or "good points" in that post. It's all just "blah blah Forza my favourite game, blah blah boring handling without any good explanation except it should be more sim-like blah blah"

Shaneus

Disclaimer: Played Horizon 2 enough to do the final around-the-map event and stuff.. unlocked barn find cars.. maybe 20-30 hours of gametime in total. Played DRIVECLUB for approximately 200-400 hours. All stars, platinumed Driveclub and nearly Bikes. (Just because i prefer cars tbh). On PC my main hobby is iRacing which provides Motorsport Simulations.
Have you been to the PC sims thread?
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=928699

And yes, i'm salty as fuck because there is nothing "wise" or "good points" in that post. It's all just "blah blah Forza my favourite game, blah blah boring handling without any good explanation except it should be more sim-like blah blah"
I've read a lot of posts I'd characterize as people pointing out that DriveClub is a very very bad Forza game.

Its true, and it works both ways. DriveClub is a bad Forza. Forza is a bad DriveClub. OK.

There is absolutely depth to the DC driving model, but I think of it as more fantasy physics than true to life or simulation. Its arcade and grippy, but still rewards players who use real world techniques to attack a track. Its a great balance, but kindof a unique one, comparable only to NFS: Shift in my experience: if Shift had solid settings out of the gate and a singular driving model for both racing and drifting.

Shaneus

I've read a lot of posts I'd characterize as people pointing out that DriveClub is a very very bad Forza game.

Its true, and it works both ways. DriveClub is a bad Forza. Forza is a bad DriveClub. OK.

There is absolutely depth to the DC driving model, but I think of it as more fantasy physics than true to life or simulation. Its arcade and grippy, but still rewards players who use real world techniques to attack a track. Its a great balance, but kindof a unique one, comparable only to NFS: Shift in my experience: if Shift had solid settings out of the gate and a singular driving model for both racing and drifting.
I'd say it's quite similar to PGR3 (and maybe 2) as well. 4 was a bit looser and more fun to slide around tracks with, whereas 3 was a bit grippier. I've packed my 360 away but I need to do a back to back again.

In my opinion, Driveclub has one of the best, if not the best, simucade handling in recent time. It's really easy to get to grips with but hard to master.

It reminds me a lot of PGR2 mixed with a litlle bit of PGR3/4. Really enjoyable game.

That previous rant feels to me that was made by somebody that just tried the slowest car in the game for a minute and never played again.

PMS rant....

Pffft,kids 'eh.

Here's a suggestion (applies for any game too!).......if you don't like a game,don't buy it.
If you bought it without playing,then don't like it....sell/trade it in.

There's loads of games i don't "like" that i bought,but i don't go whining on about how crap it is/ i don't like it as it's a fking petty waste of my time, i just play the games i like and get on with things. :)

leng jai

In my opinion, Driveclub has one of the best, if not the best, simucade handling in recent time. It's really easy to get to grips with but hard to master.

It reminds me a lot of PGR2 mixed with a litlle bit of PGR3/4. Really enjoyable game.

That previous rant feels to me that was made by somebody that just tried the slowest car in the game for a minute and never played again.

Pretty much this. I'm consistently baffled by all the complaints about the handling honestly. Forza Horizon 2's felt too loose to me, but I love 6's take on sim.

drotahorror

Evoltion you guys should of made the physics more sim like and added assists to please the casual players. Like forza does. Instead you have made some bizarre middle ground the and the handling could not be more boring even if it tried. No soul, no thrills, nothing.

Nope.

Instead they made the best handling racing game I've ever played. 60fps or not, I love DC's handling model.

Going back a while the TEH-CJ was caught out in a blatant lie after bragging about setting driveclub world records then accusing someone of cheating when they beat him by several seconds. A bit of a tool really and best ignored.

DD

My favorite arcade (or simcade) handling model still is Dirt 2. I have some issues with Driveclub's, but it's definitely not bad. :p

Driveclub is rather wank with the pad, but with a wheel (thanks to Gimx) it's sensational.

What's the ETA on the track path editor? I need some better tracks... also please don't skimp on the maximum length and fuck up like Polyphony.

And how about fixing the weird cockpit camera of the X-bow? To me it looks like it slides side to side? It's very off putting whatever it is.

Top Bottom